GPS integration

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
PatrikE

Re: GPS integration

Post by PatrikE »

The gps should be connected to the Hardware serialport on the second ardu.
MWii connects to I2C-gps via I2C.

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

OK, I forgot to set the mag orientation but i think it is too cold right now, I lost GPS-Fix after a minute and it seems, that the copter is not trying to come home.
@alex, if I use pitch/roll on the tx, will it stop RTH or only disturb it?

I only have a fly radius of 15m to fly, is the area to small?

Nils

Magnetron

Post by Magnetron »

Excuse me, but if I had a Arduino Mega and a GPS connected directly via serial could I have all facility that has implemented via i2c_gps?

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

Hi EOSbandi

my question is the same as from Magnetron. is the development of code only for the i2c-gps or is there also a further development for users with a serial GPS (flyduino-gps-bob).
I'm just a little unsure because i just bought the serial gps.
will it be possible to adapt the gps from paul to i2c-gps via an extra arduino pro mini?

thanx for some answers :)

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Hi,
i2c gps dev is paused right now in favor of the WinGui. Once WinGui is out, i'll return to i2c. Currently the implementation is simply replaces serial gps. Later improvements will be transfered to the serial code. Keep in mind that the main gps code will be common and the goal is to provide same functionality for serial and i2c gps, as long as the resources on the Atmega328 allows it.
Advanced code such as waypoint navigation or scripted nav won't fit into an atmega328 so for that you will definitely need an i2cgps or an atmega2560 based fc.

msev

Post by msev »

But eventually this solution with two pro mini's or two nano's (which i can get for 2x18$, which is probably cheaper that the mega boards) will be implemented right? Btw which i2c gps is good for the job & where did you guys buy it?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

msev wrote:Btw which i2c gps is good for the job & where did you guys buy it?

I'm not sure if i understand correctly your question

They are using the 2nd arduino to "convert" any GPS to I2C gps this way....
RX & TX from GPS connected to RX&TX of the arduino .
PIN No2 is RX and No3 is TX as you can see in the pic
And pins 27 & 28
Pin 27 is Analog4 is SDA
Pin 28 is Analog5 is SCL
must be connected to the "main " arduino board in SDA & SCL using PULL UP resistors like this
http://hackaday.com/2011/11/08/a-simple ... -capacity/

ApoC

Post by ApoC »

Hey ppl

Today i tested the dev_20120203 in the field. we´ve -20°C but sunshine, so i tested.
Hardware used:

- Flyduino Mega
- Drotek DOF 10 with the MS561101BA Baro
- FMP04 GPS modul

So i tested the RTH function, but on the Desk i saw a "problem?". The distance to home is increasing without moving the copter. i thought its okay, but on the field my copter goes crazy after i switched to RTH. Leans very hard forward and flies away. i tested it many times, with mag calibartion and so on. so what can i do, to get it working? in the GUI the senors are all okay.

what can i check, if its maybe not okay?

Second Question: wich port on the mega is used for status led? i need to know if my gps have a fix.

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hey,

have you fix the GPS bugs ?

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

Hi LuFa

i have the same problem. can you give a hint?
what should be fixed? (serial FMP04 GPS with flyduino Mega!!!)

LuFa

Re: GPS integration - Working

Post by LuFa »

EOSBandi wrote:Hi !

Today I tested the GPS RTH mode. And I can confirm that it's working...
There is one bug in the code which must be corrected.. the orientation of the Pitch and Roll corrections are wrong, but changing the following line fixes it...

In MultiWii.ino change this

Code: Select all

errorAngle = constrain(2*rcCommand[axis] + GPS_angle[axis],-500,+500) - angle[axis] + accTrim[axis]; //16 bits is ok here

to this

errorAngle = constrain(2*rcCommand[axis] - GPS_angle[axis],-500,+500) - angle[axis] + accTrim[axis]; //16 bits is ok here

The GPS I used is a MTK chipset LS20033 set for 5Hz update rate at 115200 bps.
Gyro : ITG3205, Acc: BMA150 with 8G setting, Mag: HMC5883L, Baro: BMP085
(Just to note, RTH tests were done in Alt hold mode.... which is working perfectly...)

Things to improve :
1. DO not trust the position when GPS is got its fix, move home position setting to an aux switch or store home position when arming. (The received position could change significantly after the first fix)
(for a quick fix I added AUX4 high position to store home position.)
change this line

if (GPS_fix_home == 0) {

to this

if (rcData[AUX4]>1800) {

2. Add magnetic inclination to the mag hold calculations, this will reduce the diameter of the circles around home position. (will do that)
3. Add a PID contoller to the gps calculations, so it will not overshoot when coming home from long distances with max RTH speed. (will try but, perhaps a little help needed)
4. Just for showing off, turn the copter's head towards the home position when RTH (will do that)

Here is the video of the test...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJKG6uWqv4

Hey ,

No Proplem ;)
here you can see how to fix the bugs .

msev

Post by msev »

So for gps support you need an additional arduino to the main flight control arduino...And the main flight control must be one of the mega boards right? And the secondary can be a pro mini or nano?..The main arduino can't be a 328p board right... Hope I understand correctly now.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

msev wrote:So for gps support you need an additional arduino to the main flight control arduino...And the main flight control must be one of the mega boards right? And the secondary can be a pro mini or nano?..The main arduino can't be a 328p board right... Hope I understand correctly now.

Yes
No
Yes
No
:lol:
Main and second board simple arduino .

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

My i2c board is really simple!..

But It have
- I2C
- Serial rx for gps
- Status LED

It even have 4 motorpins and ppm inpin.
Attachments
IMG_1362.JPG

msev

Post by msev »

Wow its really simple even I could do that :)...Do you maybe have a rough schematic, or maybe just a picture of the underside? And maybe a parts list :D

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Make a search for Barebone Arduino OR breadboard Arduino and you will find a lot.... ;)

3Dfresh

Post by 3Dfresh »

Hey guys,

I am also trying to use the GPS function. I use the EM-411 serial GPS on the Arduino Mega 2560 board.
Its connected on serial 2 on the mega board. I have switched
this function with AUX2. Its a three position switch on my Futaba T10 transmitter. The low position is GPS OFF.
The MID position is GPS position HOLD an the HIGH position is GPS RETURN to HOME.

Now my question. How do i store the HOME position or is it automaticly stored when you
having a GPS fix. Can someone tell me what to do.

Best regards
Jasper

Keep up the good work.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

OUPS........ :?

MultiWii_dev_20120203.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
MultiWii_dev_20120203:689: error: 'I2C_GPS_ADDRESS' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:689: error: 'I2C_GPS_STATUS' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:690: error: 'I2C_GPS_STATUS_3DFIX' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:695: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:695: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_SET_WP' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:696: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_ACTIVATE_WP' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:699: error: 'I2C_GPS_STATUS_NEW_DATA' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:703: error: 'I2C_GPS_DISTANCE' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:722: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:722: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_SET_WP' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:723: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_ACTIVATE_WP' was not declared in this scope

I'm taking this errors when i'm trying to compile the MultiWii_dev_20120203

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

NikTheGreek wrote:OUPS........ :?

MultiWii_dev_20120203.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
MultiWii_dev_20120203:689: error: 'I2C_GPS_ADDRESS' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:689: error: 'I2C_GPS_STATUS' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:690: error: 'I2C_GPS_STATUS_3DFIX' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:695: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:695: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_SET_WP' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:696: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_ACTIVATE_WP' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:699: error: 'I2C_GPS_STATUS_NEW_DATA' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:703: error: 'I2C_GPS_DISTANCE' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:722: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:722: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_SET_WP' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_dev_20120203:723: error: 'I2C_GPS_COMMAND_ACTIVATE_WP' was not declared in this scope

I'm taking this errors when i'm trying to compile the MultiWii_dev_20120203

Did you added the defs to the def.h file as it described in http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/so ... ipplet.txt ?

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

3Dfresh wrote:Hey guys,

I am also trying to use the GPS function. I use the EM-411 serial GPS on the Arduino Mega 2560 board.
Its connected on serial 2 on the mega board. I have switched
this function with AUX2. Its a three position switch on my Futaba T10 transmitter. The low position is GPS OFF.
The MID position is GPS position HOLD an the HIGH position is GPS RETURN to HOME.

Now my question. How do i store the HOME position or is it automaticly stored when you
having a GPS fix. Can someone tell me what to do.

Best regards
Jasper

Keep up the good work.

where is the source for the gps position hold mode? have i missed something??

for setting the home position look at the top (post from LuFa) of the page. there is the answer!

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

PosHold is not implemented yet at the MW side, but there is support for it in i2c_gps code.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Till itt will be implemented, RTH coda can be used for position hold, if you put Home Setup to a switch, you can redefine home position during flight and it will work as a position hold. Of course, the original home position will be overrided.

BR
Adrian

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

jevermeister wrote:OK, I forgot to set the mag orientation but i think it is too cold right now, I lost GPS-Fix after a minute and it seems, that the copter is not trying to come home.
@alex, if I use pitch/roll on the tx, will it stop RTH or only disturb it?

I only have a fly radius of 15m to fly, is the area to small?

Nils

Hi,
In GPS mode, you still have the stick control.
The GPS correction only adds some inclination in the right direction.

MelihK

Post by MelihK »

Hi EOSBandi

This is Melih from Flyron.com
I 'm designing different I2C GPS boards(i'm calling them as Navigatron) since few months with this old I2C Gps idea
The boards tested and ready since few days and i was searching for better code ideas.

Then today i saw your great code that simulating a real I2C device :D

Here is the latest Navigatron board design, they will be in stocks in 1-2 days.

Now, i have some questions about your GPS integration, because i'm also using MultiWii firmware for my quadro.

1- I tested the Ground_Course and Ground_Speed variables but didnt work. "atof" function generating 32 bit floats but you are saving them into 16 bit. am i right?
2- Will you move the ground_course value to low registry address like other values? , (current address 0x9C)
3- I will glad to send some Navigatron boards to you, may i?

Thank you very much for keeping it open
Melih

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Hi Melih,
Thanks for looking into my code. :D
1. Ground speed and ground course should work, you are right, it's atof but it is multiplied by 10 then auto casted to int16. Which supposed to be a simple truncation (this is why there a *10 to keep the .1 precision.) However both parameters are requires GPGSA frames from the GPS. Did you check that your gps is outputting such frames ?
2. It's at the end of the register set because it was added later, and I did not wanted to broke multiwii code. In paralell with gps nav code rehauling i'll most likely will update the i2cgps code too, and then i'll group gps values in the register set.
3. I appriciate that, i'll send you a PM :D
Regards,
Andras

MelihK

Post by MelihK »

Hi Andras,

1. Yes, i just understand the idea. Maybe the problem was my GPS simulator(HappyKillMore's simulator software) , i was detect similar problems at the past. Today i will test it with real GPS signal.
2. Good to hear that. Because i guess most of user will use it without WP algorithms. I will modify the code for 0x11 is course and maybe some extras for other GPS values before WP array. I will share the mods here for your information. Today i will fly with my quadro, i will try your GPS code too if i can finish the integration.
3. It is a pleasure for me :)

Have a nice sunday
Melih

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hey,

I have see in the newest dev a box named GPSHOLD :) does GPS Position Hold now also work ?

Thanks a lot :D

MelihK

Post by MelihK »

Hi Andras,

I'm using Arduino 1.0 for I2C GPS Board and Arduino0022 for Host code.

The host stop to working in few seconds because of I2C problem. I guess the probem is the wire library , because I didnt upload your wire.h and wire.c patches into arduino 1.0. Because it is giving errors if i replace the wire.cpp file with wire.c (and wire.h) Can you explain the patching? will i replace it or add into the original files?

Thanks
Melih

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Hi !
Not wire, but twi... Patches are against 1.0 arduino code for the i2c board side... Just go to the libraries/Wire/utility folder and replace twi.c and twi.h with the ones that are provided along with the i2c-gps-nav code.
On the host side if you are using multiwii, you don't have to patch anything, since MultiWii uses it's own implementation of i2c protocol.
Regards,
Andras

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

LuFa wrote:Hey,

I have see in the newest dev a box named GPSHOLD :) does GPS Position Hold now also work ?

Thanks a lot :D

Code it not yet there, it's just a preparation on the GUI side dor future poshold implementation.

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

i just uploaded the dev 20120225

after waiting some minutes i had 7 sats in gui gps display. but no special status-led pattern to signalize gps-fix.
is that a bug or an undocumented feature?

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,
I tested today the same problem.
it's a small bug:

if (GPS_fix == 1 && GPS_numSat == 4) {

=>

if (GPS_fix == 1 && GPS_numSat > 3) {

(because GPS_numSat could go directly from 0 to 5 or more without being at 4)

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi alex

thanks. thats the bug :) now it works fine.

where in the code do you set the GPS_fix == 1 ?
cant find that. only for me to understand that :)

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Hi MelihK,

Saw your post on the Navigatron I2C gps, any idea when it's likely to be available for purchase, I can't find it on the flytron.com site?

Also any thoughts on integrating Sonar too, seems like these are the last 2 major sensor inclusions for MultiWii and are missing from most all in one boards e.g the Crius SE and Quadrino (both of which I use).

With this I can participate in testing at last!

KeesvR

Post by KeesvR »

@ Mbrak:

In MultiWii tab line 734.

Its easy to find when you use the arduino find function.

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hey ,

are there any plans for GPS position Hold in the next time ?
It would be nicer than Coming home for gps tests :)

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

KeesvR wrote:@ Mbrak:

In MultiWii tab line 734.

Its easy to find when you use the arduino find function.

hi

i dont think so!
line 734 is imho a query!

i'd like to know where the variable is set. like "GPS_fix = 1;"
the only part i could found is a bit up in the code in the i2c_GPS part. but i have a serial gps from flyduino!

KeesvR

Post by KeesvR »

I'm sorry, I thought you where looking for the line to change.
Maybe 736, I'm no coder but I see serial GPS.

For me its all Chinese :mrgreen:

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

mbrak wrote:hi alex

where in the code do you set the GPS_fix == 1 ?
cant find that. only for me to understand that :)

I think it's in GPS.ino file, line 72,
"else if (param ==6) {GPS_fix = string[0] > '0';}"

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

thank you

that's exactly what I was looking for.

Gaza07

Post by Gaza07 »

Ive just tried the latest dev code using a flyduino with gps on serial 2, it shows a fix in the gui with 9 sats but if I move the copter around the garden,
the distance from home remains at zero is this a bug or isnt the serial gps working yet ?
Im sure the distance from home used to change on an earlier version

Gaza07

Post by Gaza07 »

I have just unplugged the gps while its all running and when I plugged it back in the distance home came up :roll:
Just need to test fly now see if it works

palton

Post by palton »

Any thoughts about writing a "geofence" feature like the ardupilot one?

Creating a "virtual box" made of gps cordinates where you fly by wire within the "box". As soon as hitting the geofence, controller fly back to the starting coordinate by it self full autonomously. Would be nice for practice.

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

Hi all!
I just built I2C GPS module according to EOSBandi and it communicates perfectly! Great work!
It's really a charm how easy and cheap it is now to connect GPS to any board with ATmega328.

I can't find how to manualy set home position and unfortunately autoset position isn't very accurate.
Does the solution already exist or not yet? I'm very bad coder so I don't dare to try it alone...
Additional question: For testing I used an old 1Hz GPS module - do I have any chance that it will work well, or faster (10Hz) module is necessary?
Or even easier question - did anyone tested 1Hz module with a success?
Thanks!
Roman

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

It does exist in the code, in the multiwii pde:

if (rcData[AUX4]>1800) {

change this to the preferred channel and pwm value.

BR
Adrian

Synthex

Post by Synthex »

Just a little question,
why the manual set home position RC channel/pwm configuration is not available in GUI ?

Regards,
Synthex

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Because the whole GPS code is an experiment right now.....

Synthex

Post by Synthex »

But GPS HOME and GPS HOLD are available in GUI ...
So the manual set home position is only available in I2C GPS ?

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Checkboxes are available in GUI not the complete function.....for future development......
Right now yes, since I2C GPS stores HOME position in the secondary processor. It is only called for calculations with this line.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,

GPS RTH and PH is now fully implemented for Serial GPS (not I2C) in the current code