GPS integration

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
dr.tom

Re: GPS integration

Post by dr.tom »

My vids of GPS working are here,
I'm so happy, thanks guys for your effort :)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1696

Last edited by dr.tom on Sat May 19, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

guru_florida

Post by guru_florida »

Hi Eosbandi,

Thanks for putting my status indicator patch in there. I forgot to tell you to set the LED STATUS pin13 to output in setup() though. It worked after I added:

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  // enable status LED pin
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);   
}

Your code works on a Trimble Condor C2626, and your startup code in init() places the device in 10Hz and 115200 bps...Nice! :) Can't wait to try PH and RTH tomorrow!

EOSBandi wrote:GPS speed : yes
NMEA sentences config : no, will put there soon, but it's not really an issue
LED indicator: improved thanks to Guru_Florida
* 3 short flash at startup
* blinks once per second if gps is sending data but no position lock yet
* blinks twice fast, then off for a second if gps 2D position is available
* blinks 3 times fast, then off for a second if gps 3D position is available
* or goes on for a second, off for a second, (long pulse) if not getting any NEMA sentences for over 5 seconds

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

guru_florida wrote:Hi Eosbandi,

Thanks for putting my status indicator patch in there. I forgot to tell you to set the LED STATUS pin13 to output in setup() though. It worked after I added:

void setup() {
  // enable status LED pin
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);   
}

Mr.guru_florida, Search "LEDPIN_PINMODE" in def.h, I think you can find what you want to add.

guru_florida

Post by guru_florida »

Hi Y.Mita,

I am talking about the LED status indicator for eosbandi's i2c-gps code, not the MultiWii code. There is no def.h in the 92c-gps code. The status indicator for i2c-gps indicates if the gps module has (1) not found satellites yet (2) in 2D gps lock (3) in 3D gps lock.

Mr.guru_florida, Search "LEDPIN_PINMODE" in def.h, I think you can find what you want to add.
[/quote]

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

guru_florida wrote:Hi Y.Mita,

I am talking about the LED status indicator for eosbandi's i2c-gps code, not the MultiWii code. There is no def.h in the 92c-gps code. The status indicator for i2c-gps indicates if the gps module has (1) not found satellites yet (2) in 2D gps lock (3) in 3D gps lock.

[/quote]

Oh! I see. Excuse me!

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

Today, I try R27 on my Hexa.
It's seems good controll, but need more PID modification?

First, normal flight. Battery out crash finish. Record by GoProHD, but very far and small.
http://youtu.be/V9Yr9woxH6I

Second, FPV flight. Again battery out crash finish. The mobiDroneOSD not finish installation to R27.
It's difficult to modify serial.ino to me.
http://youtu.be/O3hvxDnfGTo

Both flight, Return Home seems work well, but Position Hold seems not good, the control seems hard action when copter go far.
Is it correct action? or GPS problem? PID parameter problem?

Sorry my poor english!

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

guru_florida wrote:Hi Eosbandi,

void setup() {
  // enable status LED pin
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);   
}

Hi guru_florida

Could you explain a little how to get that flashing working ?
Nothing is flashing here ;-), on r27 of EOSBandi GPS code...

Do I need to disable VBAT code or so ?, or enable anything else...
I've tried adding pinMode(13, OUTPUT); to the end of void setup() { as you suggested (all the way down, just before the closing bracket), but that did not seem to change anything.
I'm on a Mega, with serial GPS.

Thanks... Wilco

guru_florida

Post by guru_florida »

This status indicator is only for the i2c-gps version, not for the MEGA. So in i2c-gps you have the GPS device connected to a dedicated Atmel chip, then this atmel chip wired to the MultiWii controller via the i2c port. So in this sense, you have two Atmel chips, 1 running MutliWii, and the other running the i2c-gps code. They communicate via i2c.

One benefit to this way is the gps code for NEMA sentence processing, waypoints (when it is finished), position hold and return to home (RTH) calculations are done on a separate processor than the multiwii processor keeping your multiwii cycle time down. So using i2c-gps on a MEGA still has it's positives. But gps on MEGA is more mature at this point (I believe this to be so, but maybe I dont know).

Could you explain a little how to get that flashing working ?
Nothing is flashing here ;-), on r27 of EOSBandi GPS code...

Do I need to disable VBAT code or so ?, or enable anything else...
I've tried adding pinMode(13, OUTPUT); to the end of void setup() { as you suggested (all the way down, just before the closing bracket), but that did not seem to change anything.
I'm on a Mega, with serial GPS.

Thanks... Wilco

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

guru_florida wrote: But gps on MEGA is more mature at this point (I believe this to be so, but maybe I dont know).

Currently the gps code is identical for i2cgps and serial gps. So if you fly with atmega and a serial gps you use the same code that runs in the i2c gps. :D

dr.tom

Post by dr.tom »

are cycle times better on MEGA?

asking because I'm thinking about going to mega because promini has some limitation when used on hexa + 2 axis gimbal
(lower resolution and so... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1619&p=13395#p13486 )
and mega board is so damn cheap :), with navigatron as i2c gps unit, it's still a reasonable cost for a hobbyst.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1672

guru_florida

Post by guru_florida »

No the MEGA has the same 8bit atmel core at 16MHz. It just has a whopping lot more I/O like serial ports, PWM, multiple i2c and other peripherals. I think there is some porting of MultiWii to STM32 underway...not sure though.

dr.tom wrote:4are cycle times better on MEGA?

asking because I'm thinking about going to mega because promini has some limitation when used on hexa + 2 axis gimbal
and mega board is so damn cheap :), with navigatron as i2c gps unit, it's still a reasonable cost for a hobbyst.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1672

flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

EOSBandi wrote:
guru_florida wrote: But gps on MEGA is more mature at this point (I believe this to be so, but maybe I dont know).

Currently the gps code is identical for i2cgps and serial gps. So if you fly with atmega and a serial gps you use the same code that runs in the i2c gps. :D

Hi EOSBandi,

Is identical means the gps code on r10 gps-work is identical with r27 i2cgps ? Is the Serial GPS (r10 gps-work) is using Jason work on PID as i2cgps R27 ?

Thanks,
John

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

There are some changes in the r27 version, but the default pids are shows that changes r10dev is obsolated now....

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

dr.tom wrote:are cycle times better on MEGA?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1672

I fly my Hexa with TimeCops (Dongs) far more powerful STM32 / MultiWii Based AfroFlight32 (Naze32) board and Flytron Serial GPS and has a 72mhz core speed 128K eeprom, It has a few issues with Hexa + camstab and the GPS implementation is quite basic at the moment but this is purely a software thing, I can't recommend it enough.

Decide for yourself http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595761

http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=30&zenid=61f35a88f20067a8c7ded5748d0a6139

http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrackers/15-simpleosd-gps-module.html

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

guru_florida wrote:This status indicator is only for the i2c-gps version, not for the MEGA.

Aha..... that explains a lot....

Thanks for clearing that up :D

ApoC

Post by ApoC »

Yesterday i had a Testflight with my Hexa.

Mega, Drotek IMU with ITG3200, BMA180, MS5611, HMC5883 FMP4@38,4k@10Hz, Keda 20-26M, 8 x 4,5" Props, HK Blueseries 25A ESCs.

RTH is working, need some PID Tuning. But if i Check PosHold, my Copter goes crazy. Flying far away with full Throttle. Have to check the PIDs, i think. Okay.

But...

As another Member here, ive big Problems to steer my Copter. Its so sluggish like Low Ps. Had inc my P to 10 :!: , but it seems there is a Problem with the ACC. In the GUI, it shows all okay. But in the Air, it feels like Gyro only mode. I have ACC, but seems to be a low value.

After that r27 Testflight,I tested the latest DEV, and the ACC works fine.

EOSBandi, as u said, u dont touched the Code for that, what can it be?

Btw: Can someone explain, how to convert my declination in Decimal? My DEC is: 2° 23' EAST positive

dr.tom

Post by dr.tom »

2+(23/60)=2.38

double check your checkboxes, unplug and then plug again your ftdi and battery, then 'READ' in gui again,
it helped to solve my acc problem, checkbox was activated first, but not correctly written.
then when I 'read' several times, it turned off. so I enabled it again, and copter flew just fine. hope it helps

ApoC

Post by ApoC »

Thx Tom

But...i saw in EOSBandi´s Sketch: #define MAG_DECLINIATION 3.96f //For Budapest Hungary.
What is the "f"?

In the Sketch i saw too: //Convert the degree+minutes into decimal degree by ==> degree+minutes*(1/60)
Should be with my dec: 2+23*(1/60)
Thats not, what uve done. So i was confused.

The Checkboxes are on, so thats not the Problem. The ACC is active, but sluggish as hell. I tried a high P to check this, but the ACC is always sluggish. With the latest DEV the Copter is crispy as i know before.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

ApoC wrote:i saw in EOSBandi´s Sketch: #define MAG_DECLINIATION 3.96f //For Budapest Hungary.
What is the "f"?

It´s a define for float value = decimal value.

dr.tom

Post by dr.tom »

ApoC wrote:Thx Tom
In the Sketch i saw too: //Convert the degree+minutes into decimal degree by ==> degree+minutes*(1/60)
Should be with my dec: 2+23*(1/60)
Thats not, what uve done. So i was confused.

it's mathematical equation for converting degrees and minutes to decimal number.

like when you say 1:30 PM, it means half two. but in decimal world 0.30 is not a half, right?

half two(or half past one if you like) is because 1+30(1/60)=1+30/60=1+0.5=1.5, half way from 1 till 2, right?

so your 2.23 => 2+23(1/60)=2+23/60=2+0,38=2.38

you JUST input 2.38 in code, not whole equation...

edit bandi's default for Hungary -> 3.96f -> into 2.38f

ApoC

Post by ApoC »

Hey, no problem. Confirm.

Im not so firm in mathematical work like degrees in minutes and so on. but now, ive understood.

Thx a lot.

Today i will test again, with PID Tuning of the GPS Things.

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

after compiling the latest r27 code i got this error message:

MultiWii.cpp: In function 'void fill_line1_VmA()':
LCD:1210: error: 'isBuzzerON' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii.cpp: In function 'void lcd_telemetry()':
LCD:1501: error: 'isBuzzerON' was not declared in this scope

isBuzzerOn is only used in LCD.ino

any solution?

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

mbrak wrote:hi

after compiling the latest r27 code i got this error message:

MultiWii.cpp: In function 'void fill_line1_VmA()':
LCD:1210: error: 'isBuzzerON' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii.cpp: In function 'void lcd_telemetry()':
LCD:1501: error: 'isBuzzerON' was not declared in this scope

isBuzzerOn is only used in LCD.ino

any solution?

this var is declared in buzzer.ino

uint8_t isBuzzerON() { return buzzerIsOn; } // returns true while buzzer is buzzing; returns 0 for silent periods

nils

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi nils

cant find that phrase you wrote.

may it be a typo?

in buzzer.ino there is it called buzzerIsOn and in lcd.ino it is called isBuzzerOn

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

thanks nils !!

its working with that file!

wonder why no one else reported this problem.

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

reporting some impressions using eosbandis r27 code

1) compiling the r27 version produces some error shown above. changing the buzzer.ino solved it.
2) why is the serial speed for the gui downgraded to 57600 baud? normaly it was 115200.
3) using #define MINCOMMAND 1000 as usual wont arm the motors. after changing it to #define MINCOMMAND 900 the motor will run.
4) acc trim will not stored correctly. after triming the copter level in acc mode and unplug the accu, then power on again the copter tilts (5deg) forward in acc mode.

had someone the same experiences?

just did some test flights. amazing !!!!
pos hold is working great! light wind conditons and the copter was very stable in a radius of 3 meters.
comming home was quite impressive! after turming on the copter turns aroung and comming to me facing forward :) great!!!
well done eosbandi!!!

br michael
Last edited by mbrak on Sun May 20, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

mbrak wrote:reporting some impressions using eosbandis r27 code

1) compiling the r27 version produces some error shown above. changing the buzzer.ino solved it.
2) why is the serial speed for the gui downgraded to 57600 baud? normaly it was 115200.
3) using #define MINCOMMAND 1000 as usual wont arm the motors. after changing it to #define MINCOMMAND 900 the motor will run.

had someone the same experiences?

br michael

Currently r27 is based on 20120504dev. isBuzzerOn were added to shared after that.. since I don't use lcd telemetry it went through undetected. Now it's fixed, will upload update soon.
Serial speed is downgraded for XBEE telemetry, which I using. Next update will have two set of compiled MultiWiiConf's
RULE number #1, check config.h and change it to fit your config. Mincommand 1000 is the default in config.h

EOSBandi
Last edited by EOSBandi on Sun May 20, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

mincommand was default in my setup. after compiling mincommand 1000 the copter wont arm. dont know why.
in your distributed config.h the mincommand was 900!!
your config.h is not untouched. i mean that there are fragments of your config :)

p.s. i have edited my previous post.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Hi folks,
I just pushed an update which is r32.

Couple of fixes :
PIDs weren’t uploaded to the i2cgps-nav board at startup. Subsequent pid changes were ok, but after power on, the default values were stored. (tried to comm with the module without i2c_init.) This was the cause of the 3 i2c errors.
There were a mismatch between buzzer.ino and ldc.ino versions. Now it's ok
With i2c-gps nav, the heading control did not worked, fixed now.

New stuff
Moving average filter for gps location. This helps smoothing out small gps inaccuracies, but adds latency. I recommend to use it only with 10Hz update rate.
GPS averaging applies only in poshold, and disabled if you are witin a couple of meters close to a degree line (where the lat or lon is xx.00000 degree), check your location.
According to Jason, the poshold_rate D term can induce noise at small speeds, so now there is an option to ignore D term if is speed below .5m/s
The three new defines in config.h

#define GPS_FILTERING              true      // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates, helps eliminate gps noise but adds latency
#define GPS_LOW_SPEED_D_FILTER     true      // below .5m/s speed ignore D term for POSHOLD_RATE, theoretically this also removed D term induced noise
#define GPS_WP_RADIUS              200       // if we are within this distance to a waypoint then we consider it reached (distance is in cm)

Take care, I did not had an opportunity to flight test the serial gps part, just the i2c part!

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

just compiled the new r32 version.

got this:

MultiWii:249: error: 'GPS_WP_RADIUS' was not declared in this scope

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

fixed the problem above!

@eosbandi your 3 config.h files are different in many parts. only one file contains the 3 new filter options! please update. the file names original is not realy untouched from your config.

got some new errors:

MultiWii.cpp: In function 'void GPS_NewData()':
GPS:155: error: 'LAT' was not declared in this scope
GPS:156: error: 'LON' was not declared in this scope
GPS:159: error: 'axis' was not declared in this scope
GPS:164: error: 'fraction3' was not declared in this scope
GPS:173: error: 'fraction3' was not declared in this scope
GPS:174: error: 'fraction3' was not declared in this scope

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

fixed the problem above!

@eosbandi your 3 config.h files are different in many parts. only one file contains the 3 new filter options! please update. the file names original is not realy untouched from your config.

got some new errors:

MultiWii.cpp: In function 'void GPS_NewData()':
GPS:155: error: 'LAT' was not declared in this scope
GPS:156: error: 'LON' was not declared in this scope
GPS:159: error: 'axis' was not declared in this scope
GPS:164: error: 'fraction3' was not declared in this scope
GPS:173: error: 'fraction3' was not declared in this scope
GPS:174: error: 'fraction3' was not declared in this scope

My fault, mixed up some files... r33 is out. serial gps is compiling now, and removed additional config.h files....

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi all,

here is some test flight with r32. Detailed infos next to the video... :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45pUfcLB ... e=youtu.be

and here is a return to home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hNgIQN_k2c

BTW, this is my mini hexa config:
ImageImage

BR
Adrian

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

just testet r33. works very good! compliment to you andras!!!

pos hold is a bit more exact imho. may the filter is working :)
rth is great!! have you changed something in the settings andras? the turning speed of the copter is very high to r27. i thing it looks a bit cooler if the copter turns more softly to the home point before flies in that direction an turns again :)

my problem with the acc trim is gone. no idea why or not :)

one question: you wrote that you fixed the lcd.ino together with howardb to show the gps data. how to activate that?

another question :) is there a faq how to tune the gps pids?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

just testet r33. works very good! compliment to you andras!!!

pos hold is a bit more exact imho. may the filter is working :)
rth is great!! have you changed something in the settings andras? the turning speed of the copter is very high to r27. i thing it looks a bit cooler if the copter turns more softly to the home point before flies in that direction an turns again :)

my problem with the acc trim is gone. no idea why or not :)

one question: you wrote that you fixed the lcd.ino together with howardb to show the gps data. how to activate that?

another question :) is there a faq how to tune the gps pids?

The turning speed is governed by the mag hold PID-s, I do nothing else just put the nav_bearing into the magHold. I think lowering the MAG P will slow down the turn rate...
I'm afraid there isn't any complete guide for PID tuning, I found helpful Jason Short's PID simulator, which is using the same algorithm that the current code use. You cannot take values from the simulator and enter them into your multiwii, but you can experiment with different settings, and learn what value does what.

Unfortunately I don't have LCD so I did not tested the code... I ordered some oled's from wide.hk but they are still on the way.
Regards,
Andras

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

yes i changed the p-term of mag...... ok good to know that :)

was a bit frightened as i saw the copter turning so fast :) with the r27 and p-mag=4 it turns so soft. now p-mag is equal 10 because mag-hold works much better.

Vilhelmsson

Post by Vilhelmsson »

Hi all, interesting, link pls

Anders, Sweden

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Katch

Post by Katch »

I found these if anyone is after a really cheap serial GPS bob; UK based

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110881641365

It has a funky firmware but you can update that following these instructions;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1682

Vilhelmsson

Post by Vilhelmsson »

Hi again, tested r33 and my sbus is completely weird, funny it works with 2.0 and MichelM’s, cleaned Eprom hm, btw using PMB-648 GPS any issues ?

KR Anders Sweden

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Test wirh a "vanilia" 20120504dev, i did not touched rc code at all.

guru_florida

Post by guru_florida »

Had a good flight test last night in a large parking lot. Both position hold and return to home worked great. No GPS PID changes here, just defaults. RTH saved me a few times since it was dark and I dont have lights on!

At one point a low flying large aircraft flew overhead - I thought, "hmm....I could fly right up to that jet, maybe get a WTF...then active RTH and have it fly back home." Then common sense hit me....
"Running into on-coming traffic is...counter productive!!!" - jim carry

Checkout a funny jim carry standup, skip to 4:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubbB1kH5B9Y&lr=1

KeesvR

Post by KeesvR »

Hi EosBandi, could you include a text file with instructions. There have bin a lot of questions answered in this topic, but its not easy to find these back because this topic is growing fast.

As I read here you've made a lot of improvement, I hope I can find some time soon to test these things.

Thanks a lot for your hard work on this.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

KeesvR wrote:Hi EosBandi, could you include a text file with instructions. There have bin a lot of questions answered in this topic, but its not easy to find these back because this topic is growing fast.

As I read here you've made a lot of improvement, I hope I can find some time soon to test these things.

Thanks a lot for your hard work on this.

I'm working on the documentation, at this moment... stay tuned.

Katch

Post by Katch »

Must be almost time for the MultiWii Mission Planner ;)

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Vilhelmsson wrote:Hi again, tested r33 and my sbus is completely weird, funny it works with 2.0 and MichelM’s, cleaned Eprom hm, btw using PMB-648 GPS any issues ?

KR Anders Sweden

I do not recommend using such an old gps, 1Hz update rate and low sensitivity... you wont get satifactory results... I think an 5Hz update rate is a min, 10Hz with GPS_FILTER ON and 5Hz without GPS_FILTER
If you would like to test the PMB648 then definitely have to disable GPS_FILTER

Tazzy

Post by Tazzy »

Hello folks
Is there big difference in pid values between multiwii 2.0 and 20120504dev ?
I need to change the pids alot to get it fly stable in 20120504dev and have not manage to do that yet ;(
I have a pro 328 with genuine wiim+ and nk , BMP085, HMC5843 and a working i2c gps setup that works perfect in v2.0
Any suggestions ?

// Tazzy

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Probably a stupid question but, If I'm using I2C GPS, should I comment out the serial GPS line in the sketch, also shouldn't the POS HOLD and RTH Boxes change colour when selected in the GUI?

I only ask as I don't feel that the two functions are working for me, The copter seems to drift of in the last direction (at least with r27 tested on sunday)

Unfortunately I can't check how many sats I have in the field without the Android App being updated but the light is going out on my Navigatron and I'm fairly confident in getting a lock from earlier GUI tests.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Gaijin wrote:Probably a stupid question but, If I'm using I2C GPS, should I comment out the serial GPS line in the sketch, also shouldn't the POS HOLD and RTH Boxes change colour when selected in the GUI?

I only ask as I don't feel that the two functions are working for me, The copter seems to drift of in the last direction (at least with r27 tested on sunday)

Unfortunately I can't check how many sats I have in the field without the Android App being updated but the light is going out on my Navigatron and I'm fairly confident in getting a lock from earlier GUI tests.

for i2c_gps
// #define GPS_SERIAL 2
// #define GPS_BAUD 115200

#define I2C_GPS

poshold and rth box should change color when 1. copter is armed, solid gps lock is achieved (numSat>=5).
You can check the blue led on the Navigatron, three short flashes in every second means solid 3d lock.