GPS integration

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Crashpilot1000

Re: GPS integration

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Hi, gabe!
As far as i know the 3drobotics 1.9 FW is just available for mtk3329 chipsets branded by globaltop. Flashing this fw on mtk3339 (like yours) will probably brick it. It shoud be no problem for globaltop to "make" such a FW for mtk3339 as well. I wonder why they haven't already, or is it already somewhere available?

Gartenflieger

Post by Gartenflieger »

I can confirm :oops: that uploading the 3329-1.9 FW into the 3339 will brick it _FOREVER_ .

P.S. Or maybe not so forever? If someone knows a way to reanimate it, let me know, I still have the brick lying around somewhere...

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Ohhh.. perhaps you can email with your retailer or global top. I am pretty sure that there must be a software way to "unbrick" it. Perhaps they have a tool or FW for you?

Gartenflieger

Post by Gartenflieger »

Yes indeed, as the MTK is a Drotek unit, I might actually get something sensible out of the vendor.

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

Hi guys!

Could someone share optimal GPS pids for position hold? It seems default pids for this too soft... on the wind it keeps position in window of 10-15m

Also this doc (in terms of pid tuning) already obsolete I suppose?
https://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/d ... c&can=2&q=

thx-
Alex

dramida

Post by dramida »

Hi Alex, you are right about pids.

I usualy increase VelP to 0.2 and PosP to 3 and this give me a better positioning on wind. See this clip http://youtu.be/fbEMrn7NMhU?t=3m24s on 3:28 i was doying GPS pos hold and the weather was a little windy.
You could test inflight with a BT device and EZ-gui different values. I recommand to do the test on a windy day because i had the surprise that on a calm weather the settings were deadly accurate and on wind, the copter was all over the place.
best regards, Mihai.

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

Thanks Mihai !

I will try it. Any other recommendations? Prediction filter make sense?

Code: Select all

#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER

Also question about long range connection beetwen bluetooth and x-copter (on video below). You are using 3DR modem + BT?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoPanmVa9Y

Android device+BT <==air==> BT_module<-->uart<-->long range modem (like 3DR roborics) <==air==> 3DR modem<-->uart<-->copter

thx-
Alex
Last edited by mahowik on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I use only BT devices from RCTimer, here is the pictures where you can see the BT antenna (hacked from frsky 40cm antenna - HK) hanging by landing gear. This gives me a BT range of about 180-200m with a samsung galaxy smartphone.
And i bet that if you do the same antenna mods of BT device on ground (for wingui), range would double again, at least.

The antenna details can be seen in the third picture from this album:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 459&type=1

crono

Post by crono »

in the new dev What should I set for this gps www.drotek.fr - I2C PA6C GPS + LLC breakout board I have activated

# define NMEA
# define I2C_GPS

Is that right??

filter? //#define GPS_FILTERING // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates, helps eliminate gps noise but adds latency comment out to disable

kavehslt

Post by kavehslt »

HI Everyone
my GPS module is EB-85A from Etek navigation company.
in test when i connect my board(with your i2c-gps-nav Ver:V2-2) to multiwii(dev_r1317) the i2c errors happen i don't know how should i solve this problem my internal pull up is De active and i use two 10K ohm resistor for external pull up .
when i connect the gps alone the errors appear and with other sensors (WMP+NUNCHK) the errors still there but my gyro and accelerometer work good.

it seems my i2c nav board work correctly but in sending data the error happens.
please help me.

crono

Post by crono »

I activate the GPS on quadricopter starts to oscillate as fast as ever on what value I have to fix? pid?

kavehslt

Post by kavehslt »

HI Everyone
my GPS module is EB-85A from Etek navigation company.
in test when i connect my board(with your i2c-gps-nav Ver:V2-2) to multiwii(dev_r1317) the i2c errors happen i don't know how should i solve this problem my internal pull up is De active and i use two 10K ohm resistor for external pull up .
when i connect the gps alone the errors appear and with other sensors (WMP+NUNCHK) the errors still there but my gyro and accelerometer work good.

it seems my i2c nav board work correctly but in sending data the error happens.
please help me.

kavehslt

Post by kavehslt »

Please HELP

would you mind helping me please

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

@kavehslt: Hi!
I think you run into some hardware - issues there caused mainly by your sensors and their lower I2C speed and pullup resistor stuff. I think the I2C gps requires "400" and the original nunchuck/wmp combo only does "100", perhaps the I2C speed is switched between the reads? The GPS function rely on good magnetometer function and a good leveling of the copter. As i recall my nunchuk was bad in that regard. I think it's time for you to upgrade your hardware. The only thing you could try out to get this somehow running is lowering your 10K resistors to 2,2K or 3,x K because 10K is too much from the sources i found.
Greets Rob

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

crono wrote:I activate the GPS on quadricopter starts to oscillate as fast as ever on what value I have to fix? pid?

Have the same issue with lead filter, i.e. when GPS_LEAD_FILTER define activated... When GPS_FILTERING activated, issue is gone..

kavehslt

Post by kavehslt »

dear crashpilot
I change both speed to same value but the error still here!!!!
I will change the 10k to your suggestion and i will report the the result

Federico

Post by Federico »

mahowik wrote:
crono wrote:I activate the GPS on quadricopter starts to oscillate as fast as ever on what value I have to fix? pid?

Have the same issue with lead filter, i.e. when GPS_LEAD_FILTER define activated... When GPS_FILTERING activated, issue is gone..

I don't know if mine it's the same issue, activating gps (pos hold) it starts to vibrate a bit and the corrections are a bit strong, the angles are about 10-15° of corrections and look like it's going to crash. Then I deactivate the gps...

ezio

Odp: GPS integration

Post by ezio »

My vibrates with and without lead filter. The same was with 2.1

Bart

KeesvR

Post by KeesvR »

I have a Flytron Navigator V1 GPS.
I'm trying to get my GPS working with binary protocol, but it's not working.
I've flashed the gps with 1.9 firmware.
With Minigps set it to 115200 and 10hrz also tried 5hrz.

With NMEA protocol it's working fine, but with Binary protocol I see nothing in the GUI.

What am I doing wrong, or is it not possible with my GPS ?
What are the settings for I2C GPS Config.H and MultiWii Config.H ?

Thanks.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Sounds like some PID tuning is required to reduce the strength of corrections.. there are a few posts on position hold tuning.. use the search and google to find EOSBandi's older but still valuable pdf document on PH and RTH nav tuning.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

KeesvR wrote:I have a Flytron Navigator V1 GPS.
I'm trying to get my GPS working with binary protocol, but it's not working.
I've flashed the gps with 1.9 firmware.
With Minigps set it to 115200 and 10hrz also tried 5hrz.

With NMEA protocol it's working fine, but with Binary protocol I see nothing in the GUI.

What am I doing wrong, or is it not possible with my GPS ?
What are the settings for I2C GPS Config.H and MultiWii Config.H ?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm not sure about binary protocol vs NMEA. As I understand it, if you are using a I2C-GPS-Nav module, you should just modify the config.h file as follows uncomment the "#define I2C_GPS" and optionally "#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER" and configure MAG_DECLINATION (which btw you can get from the Android MultiWii EZ-GUI app under the Dashboard GPS button).

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question.. is it the binary mode data transfer between the GPS module and I2C-GPS-NAV module that's not working?

EDIT: I'm looking at the I2C-GPS-NAV_v2_2 code, the two binary mode transfers the GPS supports look like MTK specific stuff. I assume if you set BAUD rate to the 38400 and define NMEA along with INIT_MTK_GPS it should be auto-configured, you could try changing the NMEA define to each of the binary modes and see whether it automagically gets configured and works, if it doesn't work just go back to NMEA. I assume your GPS module is this one? (http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrackers ... odule.html) which is indeed a MeditaTek unit, but I can't find any information about switching it to use MTK Binary protocol 16 or 19 manually if the auto define INIT_MTK_GPS doesn't work.. This document indicates it does RTCM(?) and NMEA 0183 v3.01 as well as two others: http://www.flytron.com/pdf/OPA6B.pdf.. if you have a I2C-GPS-NAV board, then unless it's really not keeping up with NMEA sentence parsing as well as the NAV code, then I'd be happy with NMEA at 10hz... Personally I find the NEO-6M module from Crius (CN-06 v2) which talks ublox and can be had for as little as $25 is very easy to integrate and works well. Another interesting thread which mentions your GPS here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=649&start=1030.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Hi guys.

Is this still valid for uBlox GPS from rctimer v2?

from config.h file MWii v2.2 - UBLOX - U-Blox binary protocol, use the ublox config file (u-blox-config.ublox.txt) from the source tree

Thanks.

Kayle

Post by Kayle »

Hello,

i use i2c nav board mit the newest firmware and a PA6C Global Tec GPS. GPS is set to 115k2, 10Hz, NMEA. In GUI i get 3D FIX with 7 SATS. But ALT is shown as "113m". This can´t be correct. ALT is in my tests only 3m. Why shows multiwii 113m ? Can someone help me ?

Kayle

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Kayle wrote:Hello,

i use i2c nav board mit the newest firmware and a PA6C Global Tec GPS. GPS is set to 115k2, 10Hz, NMEA. In GUI i get 3D FIX with 7 SATS. But ALT is shown as "113m". This can´t be correct. ALT is in my tests only 3m. Why shows multiwii 113m ? Can someone help me ?

Kayle

Are you live in Netherland ? GPS alt is MSL alt....

Kayle

Post by Kayle »

EOSBandi wrote:
Kayle wrote:Hello,

Kayle

Are you live in Netherland ? GPS alt is MSL alt....

Hi,

no i live in Germany. Does multiwii zero the alt at arming ?

Kayle

scrat

Post by scrat »

scrat wrote:Hi guys.

from config.h file MWii v2.2 - UBLOX - U-Blox binary protocol, use the ublox config file (u-blox-config.ublox.txt) from the source tree

Thanks.

EOSBandi neighbour :) pliz help me with this answer.

snowzach

Post by snowzach »

scrat wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, that's probably still true. From within the uBlox control center there's an option where you can send a GPS config.

I know there is this one: http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/source/browse/trunk/I2C_GPS_NAV/u-blox-config.ublox.txt

It basically tells the GPS to send at 115200, uBlox binary format.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Thanks for answer.

But I just want to know if I still need to upload this file to my GPS with MWii v2.2 or not because GPS on my quad works pretty good.

tryss

Post by tryss »

Hi guys !!

I'm a bit disapointed because of my GPM MTK (1.9 or 1.6) from DIYDRONES who doesn't work on my AIO PRO V2 (RCTIMER) with Multiwii 2.2
please what i have to do for it works ?
This post is really huge and i'm not so courageous guy to read all the posts.

Another question ? what bring the last R1391 ??? i cannot found any read me file about this release ??

Thanks for your kindly responses.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Hi Tryss,

Code changes/commits can be found here: https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/list

I don't have a MediaTek, so I'm inferring here.
The MediaTek MT3329 (please confirm that is the one you have), talks NMEA (you can try the binary modes though which I think it better than NMEA) you should only have to connect it to Serial 2 and uncomment '#define GPS_SERIAL 2', '#define GPS_BAUD 115200', '#define NMEA', '#define INIT_MTK_GPS'. You may need to update your GPS firmware to get the BINARY modes.

Do some thread searches for your GPS model number. Some more on MTK_BINARYxx here http://www.multiwii.com/forum/search.php?keywords=MTK_BINARY&t=649&sf=msgonly

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

scrat wrote:Thanks for answer.

But I just want to know if I still need to upload this file to my GPS with MWii v2.2 or not because GPS on my quad works pretty good.

After 2.1 Eos and Alex implemented full NEO configuration directly into MWII (serial version at least). It means no additional configuration of NEO modules is necessary.

Regards
Andrej
Last edited by crashlander on Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

crashlander wrote:

After 2.1 Eos and Alex implemented full NEO configuration directly into MWII (serial version at least). It means no additional configuration of NEO modules are necessary.

Regards
Andrej

Hvala - Thanks.

tryss

Post by tryss »

Thanks felix for all these infos :)

alll

Post by alll »

I played for the first time with UBlox GPS rc-timer v1 (without eeprom). I uploaded the configuration file to it u-blox-config.ublox.txt
Is this one also valid?
http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1222521

Thanks,
manu

snowzach wrote:
scrat wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, that's probably still true. From within the uBlox control center there's an option where you can send a GPS config.

I know there is this one: http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/source/browse/trunk/I2C_GPS_NAV/u-blox-config.ublox.txt

It basically tells the GPS to send at 115200, uBlox binary format.

alll

Post by alll »

I played for the first time with UBlox GPS rc-timer v1 (without eeprom). I uploaded the configuration file to it u-blox-config.ublox.txt
Is this one also valid?

Thanks,
manu

scrat

Post by scrat »

alll wrote:I played for the first time with UBlox GPS rc-timer v1 (without eeprom). I uploaded the configuration file to it u-blox-config.ublox.txt
Is this one also valid?

Thanks,
manu

I don't think so. I've read that for arducopter there is different refresh rate...38400 or something. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

If you select:
#define UBLOX

MWII will try all baud rates to determine GPS current one and than it will set/override whatever was set before with proper settings for ublox binary protocol, refresh rate (5Hz) and speed that you set with:

#define GPS_BAUD   57600

And for ublox binary 57600bps is enough.

Regards
Andrej

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

I thought ublox ucenter txt config file sets to 115200 and 10Hz update rate, but you say MW2.2 is setting it to 5Hz? I understand that having a higher GPS refresh rate doesn't necessarily give you better accuracy in the numbers coming in from the GPS, on the contrary, but thought that the recommendation was 10Hz for the uBlox NEO-6m stuff....

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

felixrising wrote: recommendation was 10Hz for the uBlox NEO-6m stuff....

NEO 6 is by spec. 5Hz device that can also send data with 10Hz (twice same data) (was discussed a year ago in this or the thread with name "Neo6 fails to perform on mega...")

Regards
Andrej
Last edited by crashlander on Wed May 08, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Thanks! That explains a lot. I was always a bit confused why ucenter refused to set 10Hz update rate... I assumed that was a ucenter bug and not actually the limitation of NEO-6m.

alll

Post by alll »

crashlander wrote:

After 2.1 Eos and Alex implemented full NEO configuration directly into MWII (serial version at least). It means no additional configuration of NEO modules is necessary.

Regards
Andrej

Is this "native" implementations also available for the i2c nav module (serial to i2c)?

manu

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

@alll
Never used I2C version and can not comment on that.

Regards
Andrej

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Hi! I have a proposal for extending the original ublox init block.
What do you think of it?

Cheers
Kraut Rob

#if defined(UBLOX)
/*
 Think about the dynamic model of your ublox.
 Interesting for us is PEDESTRIAN and may be PORTABLE.
 http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/ac-2-9-1-vs-2-8-1-gps-accuracy?commentId=705844%3AComment%3A1131867
 If you are using http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/source/browse/libraries/AP_GPS/config/3DR-Ublox.txt?name=ArduPlane-2.50
 for ublox configuration, you might want to force the Pdestrian dynamic model here because it is otherwise preset to AIRBORNE_4G.
 Here is the chart:
Ublox dynModel     Velocity m/s    Vertical Velocity m/s    Altitude m    Position Deviation
PORTABLE    = 0         310                50                 12000          Medium
STATIONARY  = 2          10                 6                  9000          Small
PEDESTRIAN  = 3          30                20                  9000          Small
AUTOMOTIVE  = 4          84                15                  6000          Medium
SEA         = 5          25                 5                   500          Medium
AIRBORNE_1G = 6         100               100                 50000          Large
AIRBORNE_2G = 7         250               100                 50000          Large
AIRBORNE_4G = 8         500               100                 50000          Large
*/

#define ForcePedestrian

prog_char UBLOX_INIT[] PROGMEM = { // PROGMEM array must be outside any function !!!

#ifdef ForcePedestrian
0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x24, 0x24, 0x00, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0x03, 0x03, 0x00,
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10, 0x27, 0x00, 0x00, 0x05, 0x00, 0xFA, 0x00,
0xFA, 0x00, 0x64, 0x00, 0x2C, 0x01, 0x00, 0x3C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x4F, 0x82,
#endif

0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0xF0,0x05,0x00,0xFF,0x19, //disable all default NMEA messages
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0xF0,0x03,0x00,0xFD,0x15,
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0xF0,0x01,0x00,0xFB,0x11,
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0xF0,0x00,0x00,0xFA,0x0F,
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0xF0,0x02,0x00,0xFC,0x13,
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0xF0,0x04,0x00,0xFE,0x17,
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0x01,0x02,0x01,0x0E,0x47, //set POSLLH MSG rate
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0x01,0x03,0x01,0x0F,0x49, //set STATUS MSG rate
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0x01,0x06,0x01,0x12,0x4F, //set SOL MSG rate
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x01,0x03,0x00,0x01,0x12,0x01,0x1E,0x67, //set VELNED MSG rate
0xB5,0x62,0x06,0x16,0x08,0x00,0x03,0x07,0x03,0x00,0x51,0x08,0x00,0x00,0x8A,0x41, //set WAAS to EGNOS
0xB5, 0x62, 0x06, 0x08, 0x06, 0x00, 0xC8, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0xDE, 0x6A //set rate to 5Hz
};
#endif

brm

Post by brm »

normally you would use the u-blox config sw to do so.

a copter or fixed wing is 'somewhat' faster than you and your sneakers.
thus defining 'SEA' would also be better suited.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Yes, but not everybody has easy access to the ublox once soldered and mounted. And not everybody is a ucenter freak. I think it's a nifty "define". Just an idea. Take it or leave it. But interesting to know that the multiwii plane part has full gps support at the moment - i haven't imagined that, because i just fly my slow multirotors (that don't go over 20m/s = 72km/h).
Cheers Kraut Rob
Last edited by Crashpilot1000 on Sun May 19, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alll

Post by alll »

Hi,

Does the GPS-navigation logic uses the altitude data of the GPS to maintain altitude hold? I ask because i have a tuned baro-alt-hold, and once i engage GPS-hold it starts yoyo.
What are the dependencies/ what is using what?
For example, does baro alt hold uses the z-accelerometer or only the baro?
Level: gyro+acc in complementary mode?
Horizon :
Alt : baro + z-acc?
GPS-hold : x-y coordinates, z?

thanks,
manu

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

alll wrote:Hi,

Does the GPS-navigation logic uses the altitude data of the GPS to maintain altitude hold? I ask because i have a tuned baro-alt-hold, and once i engage GPS-hold it starts yoyo.
What are the dependencies/ what is using what?
For example, does baro alt hold uses the z-accelerometer or only the baro?
Level: gyro+acc in complementary mode?
Horizon :
Alt : baro + z-acc?
GPS-hold : x-y coordinates, z?

thanks,
manu

GPS altitude is untrusted. The alt hold info is coming from the barometer and the Z-acc. But angle throttle correction could should be needed...

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

alll wrote:
crashlander wrote:

Regards
Andrej

Is this "native" implementations also available for the i2c nav module (serial to i2c)?

manu

in 2.2 beta

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Hi.
Im using SKM53 MT3329 GPS module flashed with AXN_1.50 0327 firmware.
10Hz 115200Speed.

There is a better - newer firmware than the one i'm using now ?
Thank you in advance.

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=649&start=1540

"Hi!
3drobotics just released a new firmware for MTK 3329 it is called 1.9 or "AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19.bin". You can grab it here: http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega ... n&can=2&q=

This FW 1.9 responds in binary mode with one decimal more precision(!)than current mtk binary or nmea and has therefor an altered syncword."

And then un comment "//#define MTK_BINARY19" in config.h