GPS integration

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Mac9

Re: GPS integration

Post by Mac9 »

EOSBandi wrote:
Mac9 wrote:Hi EOSBandi,

"You are doing something wrong. Try getting the code again. I compiles just fine with #define NMEA on Arduino 1.0.1"

Thanks for your rapid reply. I have down loaded I2C_GPS_NAV-v2.1rc again on two different computers, laptop and desktop, both running Win 7. I also downloaded Arduinio 1.0.1 again on to the laptop. Still the same problem after 4 tries. With #define NEMA commented all is well, with it un commented same error. So i decided to "have a go" at the syntax, probable stupid of me as: a. I am no programmer and b. I known very little about C++. I now find that if I delete the curly brace at the of line 1250 "if (GPS_NMEA_newFrame(Serial.read()))" then the sketch compiles and down loads without a problem. I am, however afraid that I may have changed the logic of the program and hence stopped it from working as designed.I have as yet not had time to fly the Navigatron with soft ware down loaded but unless you tell me this would be unwise I will do so On Sunday. Thanks again for your responce so far I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards
John

Code: Select all

/* GPS protocol 

John
 * NMEA  - Standard NMEA protocol GGA, GSA and RMC  sentences are needed
 * UBLOX - U-Blox binary protocol, use the ublox config file (u-blox-config.ublox.txt) from the source tree
 * MTK   - MTK binary protocol with auto setup, load (AXN1.51_2722_3329_384.1151100.5.bin) firmware to the GPS module (MTK3329 chips only)
 * With MTK and UBLOX you don't have to use GPS_FILTERING in multiwii code !!!
 */

//#define NMEA
//#define UBLOX
//#define MTK

Are you sure that you uncommented ONLY one protocol ?

Thanks a lot and yes you are correct I had two #defines uncommented. Another dumb mistake by me :oops:
All now seems OK but didn't fly on Sunday went North sea Fishing as it was raining in UK now a busy week so will not be able to fly until next week end. :cry:

Regards

Olympian

Re: Navigatron & I2C_GPS_NAV

Post by Olympian »

After carefully reading EOSBandi's pdf doc., I was able to upload "Blink" to the Navigatron and then crossing the RX/TX was able to use MiniGPS1.4 to set the update rate to 5 Hz. (it didn't have a 10Hz option).. Next, I moved all of extra files of I2C_GPS_NAV into one folder with that name and was able to compile without errors and I then uploaded I2C_GPS_NAV v2.1 r33 into the Navigatron.
Things looked good up to this point.
I then connected the Navigatron I2C lines to my new CRIUS SE which has an I2C port and is running Multiwii V2.1.

Now...using Config 2.1, I am seeing no gps values and no I2C errors.
The Navigatron blue LED is blinking 1 sec ON and 1 sec OFF indicating no NMEA data... and the Config compass rose is not blinking!

Using a 2nd FTDI, I can monitor the Navigatron's FTDI port (with crossed TX/RX) and Minigps1.4 shows NMEA data.
Teraterm also shows NMEA sentences coming at what appears to be 10 Hz.. (as if the rate was increased by running the software?)
So the GPS is generating fixes!

Meanwhile, I see no I2C errors and no updating of lat and lon on the config screen.

Here are the GPS defines ...
#define I2C_GPS
#define GPS_LED_INDICATOR
#define MAG_DECLINIATION -3.3f (my location)
#define GPS_FILTERING
#define GPS_LOW_SPEED_D_FILTER
#define GPS_WP_RADIUS 200
#define NAV_SLEW_RATE 30

What should I try next?????

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

check config.h in I2C_GPS_NAV
Esp these :

/* Serial speed of the GPS */
#define GPS_SERIAL_SPEED 115200

/* GPS protocol
* NMEA - Standard NMEA protocol GGA, GSA and RMC sentences are needed
* UBLOX - U-Blox binary protocol, use the ublox config file (u-blox-config.ublox.txt) from the source tree
* MTK - MTK binary protocol with auto setup, load (AXN1.51_2722_3329_384.1151100.5.bin) firmware to the GPS module (MTK3329 chips only)
* With MTK and UBLOX you don't have to use GPS_FILTERING in multiwii code !!!
*/
//#define NMEA
//#define UBLOX
#define MTK

Olympian

Navigatron

Post by Olympian »

#define MTK
#define NMEA
these are located in the config.h that is part of I2C_GPS_NAV software....
not in the Multiwii V1.2 software.
Last edited by Olympian on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olympian

Post by Olympian »

OK....

Sorry for not understanding......

I found them both over in the I2C_GPS_NAV software's config.h

And they are both correct.... so that's not the issue...

Olympian

Olympian

Post by Olympian »

Update on my problem...

I switched from #Define MTK to #Define NMEA and now it works...

Now Config 2.1 GUI shows the GPS info with correct Altitude, Lat and Lon.

The Navigatron blue led now blinks two flashes every second....And the Config GUI compass rose perimeter blinks..

I have kept note of all the steps that were needed... if anyone else has similar issues..

Many Tnx to EOSbandi for this capability!!!

tsoum

Post by tsoum »

Hello Eosbandi,
i have the following gps board from adafruit that uses a MTK3339 chip: http://www.adafruit.com/products/746#tutorials.
I would like to ask you if this is compatible whith I2C gps. If it is, can i flash it with MTK3329 firmware? If not is it going to be in your future plans?
Thanks in advance!
George

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

tsoum wrote:Hello Eosbandi,
i have the following gps board from adafruit that uses a MTK3339 chip: http://www.adafruit.com/products/746#tutorials.
I would like to ask you if this is compatible whith I2C gps. If it is, can i flash it with MTK3329 firmware? If not is it going to be in your future plans?
Thanks in advance!
George

yes it's work (it's what I am using) but you can't use MTK binary protocol. Don't try to flash it with MTK3329 firmware

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hello Mwii Fan´s :)

My GPS work now realy good , and im very happy about it .
But i have one small problem :
If I activate RTH , the Mwii Flys very good to the Home Point , but the brake at the Target is a litlte bit to mutch .
which Parameter can i reduce to make the bracke a little bit smaller ?

Thanks for the great Project !

tsoum

Post by tsoum »

Bledi wrote:
tsoum wrote:Hello Eosbandi,
Thanks in advance!
George

yes it's work (it's what I am using) but you can't use MTK binary protocol. Don't try to flash it with MTK3329 firmware

Thanks Bledi,
i'm happy to hear that it works! Could you describe what exactly shoud i do to make it work for me too? (Because i'm not so familiar with the i2c gps software procedures).
George

haydent

Post by haydent »

can someone help me out here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2193 GUI AUX setting for RTH & POSHOLD ?

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Hi All
Is it better to add a I2C chip to the ublox NEO-6M-0-001 GPS Rx chip or use a auto configure routine in Setup of the MultWii sketch? Discuss !
I will be using a Crius pro FC and hence the Serial 2 port to connect the GPS. I have purchase from Mouser a number of I2C EEPROM chips 24AA32A and due to high P&P costs I over ordered, I will need max 3 and have 10, so first 5 or so PM's to give shipping address ( sorry UK only) will receive a free chip care of Royal Mail first class post. Its better to give them to some one who will use them than let them gather dust in my already overflowing stash of broken and surplice electrical and electronic bits.
More important the answer to my little problem.

Regards

John

Deet

Post by Deet »

Is there a list somewhere of "working" I2C GPS modules. Ones that once configured stay that way,and operate with v2.1 software?

Or better still are PlugNPlay as such?

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Deet wrote:Is there a list somewhere of "working" I2C GPS modules. Ones that once configured stay that way,and operate with v2.1 software?

Hi Deet,
Thanks for the answer, unfortunately you are answering a question I didn't ask. I know that the NEO-6M-0-001 GPS Rx chip does not have non volatile memory, see the maestro's "U-Blox module HW hacks" http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list Another couple of U-blox GPS modules the LEA-6H and the LEA-6T have Programmable Flash included, there may be more modules that have non volatile memory as well as those two, a quick search of the U-Blox site will discover them. I think I also mentioned that I will be using the Serial port with the GPS, so in this case have little interest in I2C GPS modules, like the Navigatron from Flytron and others. The I2C chips I mentioned are for adding non volatile memory to the GPS module so it does not forget the parameters during longish periods when not powered. They are not for I2C comms with my FC board.
My question is given that I have a NEO-6M what are the pro's and cons of :
a. Carrying out the Hardware mod.
b. Carrying out the software modification option

Or better still are PlugNPlay as such?

Is it not the software of v2.1 that sends configuration strings to the GPS that make it PlugNPlay? if so back to my original question, If not please enlighten me

Regards

John

Deet

Post by Deet »

Mac9 i wasnt answering you , i was asking my own question

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Another couple of U-blox GPS modules the LEA-6H and the LEA-6T have Programmable Flash included

Wrong, programmable flash means that the firmware of these modules are upgradeable.
NONE of the u-blox modules has non volatile storage for config information.

If you are capable, then go ahead and add a i2cEEPROM that will work 100%. But there will be code for config ublox on a sw way... the only issue is my spare time....

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

Mr.EOSBandi, if you have time to answer my question, please help me about GPS antenna.

I search in Mouser and found several types of big GPS antenna, some are Active and others are Passive.
It seems Passive type doesn't have cable and must solder to ground plate but cheap, Active type seems have already ground plate and cable but expensive than Passive type.

Which one you used, and what parts number you are using ?
Can I simpley connect Active type to u-Blox NEO-6M module, or do I need add power to Active antenna ?
Can I connect Passive type antenna without ground plate ?

Thank you.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Y.Mita wrote:Mr.EOSBandi, if you have time to answer my question, please help me about GPS antenna.

I search in Mouser and found several types of big GPS antenna, some are Active and others are Passive.
It seems Passive type doesn't have cable and must solder to ground plate but cheap, Active type seems have already ground plate and cable but expensive than Passive type.

Can I simpley connect Active type to u-Blox NEO-6M module, or do I need add power to Active antenna ?

Thank you.

I use this with ublox modules :
http://hu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Taog ... cFNQ%3d%3d
It can be simply connect to an Ublox module. (it even have the right u.fl connector) The power supply is provided by the module....

Passive ones are usable only for compact modules (such as PA6B (mtk)) if you are brave enough to desolder the original antenna and solder a new one...

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

EOSBandi wrote:
Y.Mita wrote:Mr.EOSBandi, if you have time to answer my question, please help me about GPS antenna.

Thank you.

It can be simply connect to an Ublox module. (it even have the right u.fl connector) The power supply is provided by the module....

Passive ones are usable only for compact modules (such as PA6B (mtk)) if you are brave enough to desolder the original antenna and solder a new one...

Mr.EOSBandi,
Thank you very much of your very fast reply!
I want to order it, with 24AA32 I2C EEPROM, but surprise of sending cost of Mouser !

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Y.Mita wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:

Thank you.

Mr.EOSBandi,
I want to order it, with 24AA32 I2C EEPROM, but surprise of sending cost of Mouser !

I recommend to work together with others, above 150eur there is no postage cost at Mouser...

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

EOSBandi wrote:
Y.Mita wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:I use this with ublox modules :

Mr.EOSBandi,

I recommend to work together with others, above 150eur there is no postage cost at Mouser...

Yes, I try to joint buy with my freinds in Japan, and above 7,500 Japnese yen for free shipments! Thank you your advise !

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

LuFa wrote:Hello Mwii Fan´s :)

My GPS work now realy good , and im very happy about it .
But i have one small problem :
If I activate RTH , the Mwii Flys very good to the Home Point , but the brake at the Target is a litlte bit to mutch .
which Parameter can i reduce to make the bracke a little bit smaller ?

Thanks for the great Project !

? :(

flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

EOSBandi wrote:

Thank you.

Hi EOSBandi,

After searching for many days for this antenna, i found this one :

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/embedd ... th=139_143

can you confirm this antenna can be used?

Many thanks.

John

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

flyrobot wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:

Thank you.

Hi EOSBandi,

After searching for many days for this antenna, i found this one :

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/embedd ... th=139_143

can you confirm this antenna can be used?

Many thanks.

John

Yeah, that will be fine...

flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

Thats the cheapest antenna with quite cheap shiping cost. I still searching for the bigger one 35x35 with cheap shipping cost. I can see the significant different small 18x18 with bigger 25x25 and MTK chipset with Ublox neo.
Thanks EOSBandi for the fast reply, i order several to change my navigatron and ublox neo stock antenna.

John

fastsonic

Post by fastsonic »

hello,
can sombody take a look to:
http://www.gsm-modem.de/gps/gps_patch_antennen.html
and the other one´s
i´am confused about the Gain.
some smaller Antennas have a higher Gain....
35x35 15 Gain Antenna +2 zenith = 17
17x17b 25 Gain Angenna +1 Zenith = 26
Both noise level an 1.5
Witch one seems to be the best ?
Thanks for Infos

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

The basic rule is that the antenna gain increases with the size (and volume). Antenna manufacturers are giving the antenna gain towards the zenith, but it is more important that how sensitive the antenna towards the horizon and this is where the size really matters. (For example a 25x25mm antenna and a 35x35mm antenna booth have 2dB gain at Zenith, but at 10° elevation the 25x25 antenna has only -4dB gain while the 35x35 antenna has 1.5dB.

kipkool

Post by kipkool »

Hi EosBandi,

I use a mtk3339 here.
I've loaded it with this custom firwmare ( 115200bps + 10hz by default ): AXN2.10_5156_3339_1152.1101000.10.bin
This one doesn't seems to work with MTK binary protocol, only NMEA. Is there some parameter I can setup on miniGPS to activate binary protocol ?

Or do you know other firmware that works ?

That's strange cause for 3329 , 1.51 firmware is ok, but not in 3339 with 2.10 one.

thanks.

EDT. I've found this undocumented commandto enable binary mode: Serial.write("$PGCMD,16,0,0,0,0,0*6A\r\n"); I'll try this later.

dodecopter

Post by dodecopter »

i use allinone-board + drotek gps.

works fine outofthebox on GUI.

before testing outside, i need some info..

do i have to activate baro for position-hold too, or is all done by gps only?
or is it a drawback to activate baro+gps at the same time?

fastsonic

Post by fastsonic »

EOSBandi.
what do you think about a Combo of Ublox 6m with a Sarantel GEOHELIX-s Antenna

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

Hi,
I have very high Cycletimes with my mega and Serial GPS if I use the GPS module.

When I fly with module disconnected, cycletime is around 2900 with GPS connected and sending NMEA I have peaks.
This leads to a very jumpy Baro mode and some problems with the pilot light.

Nils

wareck

Post by wareck »

Hi every one, thanks to all are working to the GPS integration... I'm very enjoy about this.

I have a little problem on my Multiwii board + GPS...
I'm using Multiwii 2.1 and I2C-GPS-NAV-RC2 with drotek PA6C GPS in NMEA mode.

On the MS-Multiwii-GUI, all seems to work but on map, I have a difference about 200 mettres between the quad position on screen and the real position...
There is some one have an Idea?

dramida

Post by dramida »

See the DATUM setup of the GPS, it's about relative references of geographical coordinates. Obviously your GPS outpus in other reference DATUM the coordinates than your map accept. For example google earth uses "International 1984" DATUM.

wareck

Post by wareck »

Ok thanks I have set him to 68 (france), I'll try with "International 1984" this evening...

tsoum

Post by tsoum »

Hello to all,
can anyone tell me how to flash a MTK3339 chip for i2c gps?
Thanks in advance

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

Have a Ublox NEO-6 in binary mode with EOSBandi's latest code loaded on a i2c module. Work GREAT at first. After several days of not using my copter, my GPS loses its configuration, which I expect. If I use U-center and resend EOSBandi's u-blox-config.ublox.txt it works great again. My question is: Does the latest i2c code not auto configure the Ublox for binary mode???

Thanks

tsoum

Post by tsoum »

tsoum wrote:Hello to all,
can anyone tell me how to flash a MTK3339 chip for i2c gps?
Thanks in advance

Hello wareck, i think we use the same chip!
Can you help me?
Thanks

haydent

Post by haydent »

can someone tell me which firmware set a 3329 into binary mode default ?

i have the nmea 10hz 115200 firmware working great but want to try binary

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

EOSBandi wrote:
If you are capable, then go ahead and add a i2cEEPROM that will work 100%. But there will be code for config ublox on a sw way... the only issue is my spare time....

Yes I think I am capable of using a soldering iron :? :roll:
I have in fact obtained the chips and carried out one modification and yes It works. ;) I even removed the battery to prove it don't forget. :D
But I would much rather use a key board, somewhat less chance of permanent damage to me or the board. :lol:
I thought I read a thread somewhere Claiming that he had sent configuration strings in Setup of main sketch V2.1to configure the GPS, could have been a different chip set, but unfortunately I can not find the code yet, will try again and again to help to give EOSBandi you a little more free spare time.

Regards

John

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Mac9 wrote:I thought I read a thread somewhere Claiming that he had sent configuration strings in Setup of main sketch V2.1to configure the GPS, could have been a different chip set, but unfortunately I can not find the code yet, will try again and again to help to give EOSBandi you a little more free spare time.
Regards
John

In current _shared (from r1019 upwards) you have SW solution from Alexinparis (that only needs soldering pins 13,14 and 15 together). I'm using that hack and it just works (TM). :)

Regards Andrej

BTW:I presume we are talking about UBLOX Neo 6!!!

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

crashlander wrote:
Mac9 wrote:I thought I read a thread somewhere Claiming that he had sent configuration strings in Setup of main sketch V2.1to configure the GPS, could have been a different chip set, but unfortunately I can not find the code yet, will try again and again to help to give EOSBandi you a little more free spare time.
Regards
John

In current _shared (from r1019 upwards) you have SW solution from Alexinparis (that only needs soldering pins 13,14 and 15 together). I'm using that hack and it just works (TM). :)

Regards Andrej

BTW:I presume we are talking about UBLOX Neo 6!!!

Hi Andrej,
Yes that's the module. Thanks a lot good information!!!!!!

Should have added : Les Français semblent toujours connaître la réponse de THW. Si ce n'est pas l'anglais peuvent le faire

Regards

John
Last edited by Mac9 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Hi Y.Mita,
You are right the shipping costs of Mouser are not good. However I have about 10 of the chips and in the interest of the Hobby and International relations will ship one to you FOC (Free of charge). Just send me a PM with your address and one is on its way.

Regards

John ( In England)

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

Mac9 wrote:Hi Y.Mita,
You are right the shipping costs of Mouser are not good. However I have about 10 of the chips and in the interest of the Hobby and International relations will ship one to you FOC (Free of charge). Just send me a PM with your address and one is on its way.

Regards

John ( In England)

Hi ! Mr.John,
Thank you very much for your very kind offer, but I'm sorry I already order 5 in another shop with my freinds in Japan.
I hope your stock helps another freind somewhere around the world. Next time, please help me !
And if you have interests of international relations, I'll welcome PM from you.
In past, I had live in North Finchley and went Japanese highschool in Rudgwick,W-Sussex. It's about 30 years ago.

P.S
I ordered I2C EEPROM at same place, just same as 24AA32A which reported in Mr.EOSBandi's ublox-hw-hack.pdf but 5 pins, and after I received it, I want to report usage in here too.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

EOSBandi,

Question please, If I wish to use a 4800 baud GPS just for reference, not for RTH or Position Hold, will there be in harm or unexpected events? What I am hoping to do is read the GPS information and relay that to the ODS.

Thank you.

P.S. I am going to get a new GPS unit hopefully very soon.

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

i was testing some switches indoor

mwc mega2560/ ublox gps 115.2k 5hz

i was putting on gps hold and gps home for aux4... and i found the option does not change to green when switch is on.. is that because the gps do not have signal? or i did something wrong on the settings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBqF5KUtgys

thanks

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I think but I am not sure, the GPS has to have a lock first.

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

jy0933 wrote:i was testing some switches indoor

mwc mega2560/ ublox gps 115.2k 5hz

I was putting on gps hold and gps home for aux4... and i found the option does not change to green when switch is on.. is that because the gps do not have signal? or i did something wrong on the settings?

Hi,
Are you sure that your Tx Rx combination has 4 channels available ? and you have connected the forth Aux channel output from your RX to the FC input ?
I fly 2.4 Mhz Futaba and if I use a Futaba 7 channel Rx I only have 3 Aux's. Dont know any thing about JR or Spectrum perhaps some one else could comment on them.

Regards

John

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

you can see the video i uploaded... aux4 has input.. and it is t9x mod er9x 8 channel rx

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

jy0933 wrote:you can see the video i uploaded... aux4 has input.. and it is t9x mod er9x 8 channel rx

Your video does not show me your RX connections or your TX set up, hence my suggestions. I don't recognise "t9x mod er9x 8 channel rx" so cannot comment on that. However I notice that the Compass Rose is flashing on you video of the GUI I think that means GPS configured no GPS Fix, would some else please comment on that as I use MultiWiiWinGUI so I am not sure.That however should be Irrelevant as the part of the screen you are "high lighting" with your cursor records the Rx outputs. Why not try EOSBandi's splendid Win GUI which is available at http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list It may be you just have a display problem.

Regards

John

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Hi All,
Some posts ago, back in the mists of time, I suggested that some Ublox module's namely LEA-6H,LEA-6R and LEA-6T to name but 3, had non volatile memory for configuration settings. I was reliably ? informed that I was Wrong, I often am. However having some time on my hands today I thought I would try and find out whence the Wrong information came from, It came from the Ublox LEA-6 GPS Modules Data Sheet page10 para 1.12.2

1.12.2 Configuration (LEA-6H, LEA-6R, LEA-6T)
With the LEA-6H, LEA-6R LEA-6T-0 and LEA-6T-1, configuration settings modified with UBX configuration
messages can be saved permanently. In this case the modified settings remain effective even after power-down
and don’t require backup battery supply.
LEA-6T-0 includes a serial Flash memory for storage of configuration. Saving full configurations might take
several seconds to store on LEA-6T-0. Do not power down the Module before receiving the acknowledge.
For more information, see the u-blox 6 Receiver Description including Protocol Specification [2].

This leaves me with a problem is the data sheet Wrong, am I misunderstanding what is written in the data sheet or shudder to think was the contributor who said Wrong; Wrong.

If anyone including the contributor who said Wrong could cast some light on this regrettable situation I would be obliqued, not only for my peace of mind but for the sake of accuracy and the benefit of the whole community of contributors.

Regards

John