GPS integration

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
LuFa

Re: GPS integration

Post by LuFa »

Hi ,

GPS work Great !

But Coming home is to fast for me ^^ can anyone tell my how i can chanche the "brake" from Coming Home ?
Because , for me the Mwii does brake to hard at the Target Point . wich values can i start to chanche ?

Thanks ;)

dr.tom

Post by dr.tom »

LuFa wrote:Hi ,

GPS work Great !

But Coming home is to fast for me ^^ can anyone tell my how i can chanche the "brake" from Coming Home ?
Because , for me the Mwii does brake to hard at the Target Point . wich values can i start to chanche ?

Thanks ;)
Attachments
Capture.JPG

warthox

Post by warthox »

Bledi wrote:
warthox wrote:can somebody please post working gps pids so i have a starting point?
tried gps first time yesterday. it did something but i dont got it tuned well.
thanks in advance.

On the previous page you have a good tutorial for beginners

thanks for the hint :)

Katch wrote:
warthox wrote:can somebody please post working gps pids so i have a starting point?
tried gps first time yesterday. it did something but i dont got it tuned well.
thanks in advance.

Hey Warthox,

I'm using default everything in r33.
Hardware is 500mm Bluesky Sport Quad / KDA 20-28m / Plush 18a / 8x45 props
You need to make 100% certain your Mag is perfectly calibrated and that Headfree works perfectly - if the Mag gets interference when you hit WOT you'll have issues with the GPS code. Also test on a windless day - the wind makes a real difference to how well or otherwise it holds.

never tried the headfree mode on my own copters. i did mag calibration outside right before flight. will redo that and test headfree.
i used the 2.0 release. maybe i should use the actual dev.
i tested it yesterday evening with no wind. activated ph in hover. then the quad starts to fly a triangle with arround 5m edge length. the next triangle was much bigger.
tried with different PD values but nothing was really successful.

Katch

Post by Katch »

I have several FCs and they are not all created equal when it comes to Mag calibration and interference.

Paris v4 with GY_86 (FreeIMU 0.4.3 clone) - Mag heading shifts when lifting one side of the frame and shifts drastically at WOT - Headfree is always shifted several degree round - GPS is unflyable

MWC Warthox with FreeIMU 0.3.5ms - Mag shifts a tiny amount when raising one side of the frame and a fair bit at WOT - Headfree is flyable and pretty spot on - GPS works to a degree.

Crius SE - Mag heading is all over the place on this board when lifting the frame and throttle effects it from about 33% - Headfree is completely unflyable - haven't tried any GPS (don't see the point with the Mag so flakey)

Chinese MEGA Pirate with FreeIMU 0.3.5bmp mounted on 8mm nylon pillars. Mag never moves when raising one side of the frame no matter how high - Tiny shift at WOT maybe 5-6 degrees (Not an issue as you never hit WOT when flying GPS functions) - This board is 100% rock solid on Mag - headfree is perfect and GPS functions all work as expected with a high degree of accuracy.

This is my experience all on the 500mm Sport Quad frame with 20-28m Motors 18a plushes etc - flying same PIDs same versions etc etc.

Oh and if you are using 2.0 - GPS isn't properly implemented - It is only in EOSBandi's recent dev builds that we got functioning RTH and Hold. r33 is current and the best.

warthox

Post by warthox »

so not even the actual dev from 22th of may has a working gps?

Katch

Post by Katch »

nope the working code isn't integrated yet.

http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list

matteo3e5

Re: Navigatron I2C GPS Integration

Post by matteo3e5 »

Katch wrote:
There are 2 'firmwares' one is the sketch on the Arduino that is soldered on to your navigtron - there is also a firmware flashed inside the actual GPS module itself.

You would be best updating the firmware on the GPS module itself. The firmware is in the same repo as the current code.

You will need to first flash the Arduino on the navigtron with a Blink sketch (in examples in your arduino software folder)

Once done you need to find a way to cross the rx and tx of your ftdi and then you can flash the GPS module following the guide using Powerflash - it will be on its default baud 9600

After you have flashed the GPS module you can put the rx and tx back to normal and flash the arduino on soldered on the navigtron with the r33 i2c gps sketch.

I have just finished, now it looks so simple :D

Step 0 - read carefully the tutorial -> http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/do ... f&can=2&q=
Step 1 - flash the arduino on the navigtron with the blink sketch (Arduino IDE ... File -> Examples -> Basics -> Blink)
Step 2 - cross rx and tx of the FTDI
Step 3 - Flash the gps module - Tool, instructions, firmware and MiniGPS -> http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/do ... r&can=2&q=
Step 4 - Change GPS parameters using MiniGPS
Step 5 - Put back rx and tx of the FTDI
Step 6 - flash the arduino on the navigtron with the IC2_GPS_NAV sketch -> http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/do ... r&can=2&q=

Process complete.
Thanks every body for the great support

Katch

Post by Katch »

matteo3e5 wrote:Step 4 - Change GPS parameters using MiniGPS

If you flash the 10hz 115200 firmware on to the GPS there shouldn't be any settings that need changing in MiniGPS - you just use it to verify that the GPS module has updated properly and is running at 10hz.

matteo3e5

Post by matteo3e5 »

Katch wrote:If you flash the 10hz 115200 firmware on to the GPS there shouldn't be any settings that need changing in MiniGPS - you just use it to verify that the GPS module has updated properly and is running at 10hz.

You are completelly right, I included step 4 because based on the tutorial the required NMEA sentences are GGA, GSA and RMC and by defaul with the 10hz 115200 firmware on to the GPS additional NMEA sentences are transmitted so I used MiniGPS in order to transmit only the required frames. Less work for the Arduino on Navigtron and Arduino on Flightcontroller.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

So, In MiniGps where the NMEA sentences are GGA, GSA and RMC = 1 they are turned on right?

But does this mean they broadcast only once every 10th hz cycle, would I get a better fix from bumping them to 10?

matteo3e5

Post by matteo3e5 »

Gaijin wrote:So, In MiniGps where the NMEA sentences are GGA, GSA and RMC = 1 they are turned on right?

But does this mean they broadcast only once every 10th hz cycle, would I get a better fix from bumping them to 10?

Yes GGA, GSA and RMC = 1 they are turned on
No for the second question ... (from the manual) ... The number beside NMEA type is the output frequency. The value is larger, the frequency is slower. For example, under the setting of 1 Hz fix update rate, 1 means output this sentence per second, 5 means output 1 time every 5 seconds....

which is differente from Fix Update Rate ... (from the manual) ... In general, GPS receiver output NMEA sentences once per second. If users want to use GPS in special case, ex: racing car. Mini GPS could increase the fix update rate, the maximum value is 10. It means output NMEA sentences every 100 millisecond...
My settings are :

1 for GGA, GSA and RMC .... and 10 for Fix Update Rate (this is the defaul update rate if you have flashed your gps with MTK3329_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_115200.bin)
Last edited by matteo3e5 on Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

No, when the NEMA type setting is set to '10' it means that the sentence will be output only every 10th fix.
(When the module is set to 10Hz, it updates or 'fixes' postion 10 times per second)
So,GPGSA, GPGGA and GPRMC should be set to '1' so they are output every 'fix'.

H.

Edit: my reply was a bit. Late!
Explanation by matteo3e5 is spot on!

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

Yesterday I received the 10 Hz serial GPS (FMP04 = MTK 3329) I ordered from Flyduino.com
This to replace an old 1Hz GPS I've been experimenting with.

EOSBandi already mentioned long time ago that 1Hz will not give good results, but I tried anyway, as it was all I had, and I had nothing to loose... :roll:

But this 10Hz GPS works so much better. Just marvelous.... On the old one it barely worked, but with the new one PERFECT !
Flew today in some pretty strong wind (3..4 Bft), and it managed quite ok. Just now in the evening after the wind has died down, it holds within 1..2 meters

So if you're still struggeling with an 1Hz GPS.... order a 10 Hz one and be amazed at how much better it works.

Not just the 1Hz was causing problems, but also the new one is much faster getting a lock, even without a backup battery. It will not loose lock, even when inside the home.... The old one would loose lock even under a clear sky sometimes.

warthox

Post by warthox »

tried the gps ph and ch with r33 code today. works pretty good. the coolest thing was that the quad first turns in direction of home position and when it arrives it turns in the position in which he was while arming. looks so cool :)
flew only with default values for everything. it was very windy. max ph area was around 10x10m.
video will follow...

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Okay,
I've done a lot of testing and whilst I'm sure that the GPS is working (the copter rotates to target before moving off) I don't feel it is working right.

Position hold = drifting copter, starting from level I don't see much correction after a sizeable drift, I have to intervene before it goes too far

RTH = rotation and moving off, but not really in the direction I would expect for the set point, I've flown in several sites and it always seems to go in the same general direction, why would this be?

A GPS module doesn't have a front side does it?, the mag is solid and in the right direction as best I can tell, declination is set at -1.75 as per below

Thing is If I check the co-ordinates in google maps it reports my position as here lat 508131900 lon -10707100 which is a good 76 miles away in a straight line, I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't where the copter is headed, do I need to change a setting on the module??

Latitude: 50° 57' 0" N
Longitude: 1° 13' 0" W
Magnetic declination: 1° 44' WEST
Declination is NEGATIVE
Inclination: 65° 59'
Magnetic field strength: 48455.0 nT

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

Some of my test flight of R33.
The upper indicator shows modes. L:level, B:baro, M:mag, G:GPS hold, RTH:Return to home

Sat. little bit windy.
http://youtu.be/1tTlGylUSXY
http://youtu.be/jrFu16RA_vI
http://youtu.be/1gfV65TPkQg

Sun. more windy than Sat.
http://youtu.be/RGiecBTlk-8
http://youtu.be/gW6HpxaUs2k

R33 works almost perfect! but RTH first home heading turn is hard.

Please laugh my hard landing! And my hexa propella clearlance is too short, hard action damage propella. I must re-design my hexa.
And OSD compass and radar has bugs.

setting: only change POS P:0.9
Hexa, Flyduino MEGA, MTK3329 10Hz serial connection, DROTEK 10DOF MS, modified mobiDrone OSD.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,

I tried the GPS code today with the raw merge I did recently in the shared_ section.
Everything behaves perfectly with default PIDs, even with some wind ! (MEGA board + serial GPS)
Thank you EOS for your job and your efforts to match AC GPS code with MultiWii.
This code will be clearly included in 2.1

Katch

Post by Katch »

Alexinparis wrote:Hi,

I tried the GPS code today with the raw merge I did recently in the shared_ section.
Everything behaves perfectly with default PIDs, even with some wind ! (MEGA board + serial GPS)
Thank you EOS for your job and your efforts to match AC GPS code with MultiWii.
This code will be clearly included in 2.1

Great news! Huge thanks to all of EOSBandi's hard work to help keep making Multiwii the best platform for multirotor flight control.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I tested the shared code in multiwii repository with Bandi gps code R33 merged.

IT WORKS AMAZING, even on Crius SE and serial 10Hz gps (i had to deactivate serialCom() function from multiwii.ino)
POS HOLD error is less than 1.5m on calm weather and RTH is a wonder. It turns itself twards home, comes steady and once home, it rotates tail back as in take off and maintain its position above you.
Used the defaults navigation PIDs.

GREAT, congrats EOS BANDI for succesfully integrate AC2 GPS code into MultiWii !

Sharkcopter

Post by Sharkcopter »

Hi
I have a little problem.
I bought a navigatron V2 and have to connect it to arduino i2c promini.
I also have a V 0.4.3 freeimu who wants the arduino internal pullup disconnected because it has its internal.
Navigatron V2 has no pullup resistors, can I connect to i2c in parallel or should I put other resistors ? :?:
Thanks in advance

Katch

Post by Katch »

Sharkcopter wrote:Hi
I have a little problem.
I bought a navigatron V2 and have to connect it to arduino i2c promini.
I also have a V 0.4.3 freeimu who wants the arduino internal pullup disconnected because it has its internal.
Navigatron V2 has no pullup resistors, can I connect to i2c in parallel or should I put other resistors ? :?:
Thanks in advance

Parallel is fine.

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Aint this the Hotest Topic in town ?
My question is fairly simple and I am sure you guys can give me a concise and I hope comprehencable answer. I have a I2C Flytron Navigatron, who dreams up thease names ? How can I tell if the Firmware is cabable of 10 Hz update as recomended by the "Grand Pandrangram". Sorry about the lack of humer "It comes with the teritory"

Keep on getting to the right place

Regards

John

Katch

Post by Katch »

Mac9 wrote:Aint this the Hotest Topic in town ?
My question is fairly simple and I am sure you guys can give me a concise and I hope comprehencable answer. I have a I2C Flytron Navigatron, who dreams up thease names ? How can I tell if the Firmware is cabable of 10 Hz update as recomended by the "Grand Pandrangram". Sorry about the lack of humer "It comes with the teritory"

Keep on getting to the right place

Regards

John

Is it a version 1 or version 2?

v1 has a round silver supercapacitor next to the GPS module

v2 has a rectangular orange tantalum capacitor

- if it's version 2 it is 10hz out of the box
- if it's version 1 it either needs the firmware updating or slight modification to the code that goes on the Navigtron.

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Aint you rapid Ketch?
Thanks a lot for that. Unfortunatly my board has the "supper capacitor", thought it was a battery but what trhe hell its only in the definition. So supplementry question if I may ? What to do Next? No rush for answer as I am taking wife out for a meal and then working 10 hr days for the next 4. ROTWE and ROMFT.

Good work from you all Like to see you St**ing the premadonas at Open Pilot.

Regards

john

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

I bought the GPS module (serial) not the navitron i2c version.
I got the 06 version not the 04 so the newer GPS.

However I only seem to be able to get it to 5hz, not 10, and changing the speed and baud rate doesn't save.

Is there a 115200bps/10hz fw for the newer 06 gps?
Assuming I have the GPS directly attached via a serial port to a PC, how can I update to it?

Katch

Post by Katch »

If you look in the i2c gps google repo (links back in this thread somewhere) there is a download for a 10hz 115200 firmware.

To update you need to upload the blink sketch (in your arduino examples folder) to the arduino on the Navigtron.

Then make a liitle cable that will allow you to connect your ftdi to the navigtron with the rx and tx crossed.

You can then update the firmware on the gps module using the Powerflash tool in the download - remember to connect on 9600 as this is the default baud rate for the v1 module.

After it finishes check it with the minigps tool (also in the download) then uncross your ftdi and upload the i2c gps sketch to the navigtron.

Full instructions are also in the download and in the documentation in the repo.

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

ok, if I DON'T have the navigtron board?
Can I use that firmware flasher directly connected via serial to the GPS?
Is the FW in that link for the 04 or 06 version of the hardware? Is it compatible with both?

Katch

Post by Katch »

Pyrofer wrote:ok, if I DON'T have the navigtron board?
Can I use that firmware flasher directly connected via serial to the GPS?
Is the FW in that link for the 04 or 06 version of the hardware? Is it compatible with both?

yes you can flash over serial - i think you still need to cross rx / tx

run the MiniGPS tool if you can connect to your module you have the rx/tx the right way round.

In the last tab of MiniGPS tool is a button to check firmware - post what firmware is on your module now and i'll tell you if its compatible.

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

Ok, I had it connected using the miniGPS tool yesterday (left the thing at work!) and will check the FW version tomorrow when I get in.
BTW, it only managed one sat while in the middle of my office... Not bad all things considered.

Y.Mita

Post by Y.Mita »

Pyrofer wrote:Ok, I had it connected using the miniGPS tool yesterday (left the thing at work!) and will check the FW version tomorrow when I get in.
BTW, it only managed one sat while in the middle of my office... Not bad all things considered.

I think you bought a module like this. https://store.diydrones.com/MediaTek_MT3329_GPS_10Hz_p/mt3329-01.htm
Just like Mr.Katch wrote, I'm using this module, after flashed with repo's tools and documentation.
And if you already connected using minigps, you don't need extra cable. Only need to flash it.

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

FW Version AXN_1.50 2683

Katch

Post by Katch »

Pyrofer wrote:FW Version AXN_1.50 2683

compatible - flash away

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

Does it not matter that mine is an 06 module not 04?
Also where can I find the 10hz 115200 fw?
I got one from earlier in the thread but its 10hz 38400
"FMP04_Camled_010320_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_38400"

Katch

Post by Katch »

it's in the i2c repo - http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list

it's compatible

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

Ok, flashed, and it now seems to be 115200 and 10hz, thanks guys.

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hi ,

in the newest multiwii dev , the i2c gps doesnt work :(
With r33 von EosBandi all works without any proplems , but the same hardware and setup with the newest Dev code doesnt work :(

can anywhere check this ?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

LuFa wrote:Hi ,

in the newest multiwii dev , the i2c gps doesnt work :(
With r33 von EosBandi all works without any proplems , but the same hardware and setup with the newest Dev code doesnt work :(

can anywhere check this ?

In Multiwii.ino around line 495 enter this (Its close to the end of setup() )

Code: Select all

#if defined(I2C_GPS)
   GPS_Enable = 1;
  #endif

DId not had time to test out, just read the code....

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

ok thanks , will test it tomorrow :)

second question :mrgreen:

- i can set waypoints with GPS_I2C_command(I2C_GPS_COMMAND_SET_WP,13); ..... right ? (in this example waypoint number 13)
- And with GPS_I2C_command(I2C_GPS_COMMAND_START_NAV,0); i can start the waypoint navigation .

but , if i start the waypoint navigation with waypoint 0 and like to fly 10 of waypoints , does the i2c-nav-code automaticly switch to the next waypoint if the waypoint is reached ?
or must i send the Start_Nav command for all of the 10 waypoints ?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

LuFa wrote:second question :mrgreen:

- i can set waypoints with GPS_I2C_command(I2C_GPS_COMMAND_SET_WP,13); ..... right ? (in this example waypoint number 13)
- And with GPS_I2C_command(I2C_GPS_COMMAND_START_NAV,0); i can start the waypoint navigation .

but , if i start the waypoint navigation with waypoint 0 and like to fly 10 of waypoints , does the i2c-nav-code automaticly switch to the next waypoint if the waypoint is reached ?
or must i send the Start_Nav command for all of the 10 waypoints ?

Not yet, but it's in the list. This is something what the new WinGUI will do (codename: MultiWiiPlanner :mrgreen: )

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh :D :D :D
MultiwiiPlanner sounds good :)

dramida

Post by dramida »

A must see all features of Multiwii in-flight FPV and from the ground demonstrated:

Include demonstration of GPS position Hold and Failsafe GPS Return to Home with Bandi's R33 code on Atmaga 328 with serial GPS , thanks to Patrik E for the autosensing GPS patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952DYF3XV8s

Thank you all who coded and suported this Great Amazing project.

LenzGr

Post by LenzGr »

Nice job, dramida! It's amazing to see how the MultiWii code base evolves.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it. Is there a command to rest a new Home Position once the Satellites are locked?

rollinolin

Post by rollinolin »

Hello all,
I bought a gps module from AREA52MOSFETS on the seeduino mega thread about a year ago.

I know nothing about it and was wondering if anyone here could help. I think i need a BOB for the GPS and i dont know where to get one and how to connect it to the seeduino mega? can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Junk and Junk and more Junk. I have two that I never was able to get to work.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

At the moment Homepos is taken when GpsFix is OK Or when ardu starts/Reboots.

or when you calibrate Gyros with sticks.
Minthrottle + LeftYaw & PitchStick Low.

I usually press resetbutton before takeoff= reset homePos..

/Patrik

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

PatrikE wrote:At the moment Homepos is taken when GpsFix is OK Or when ardu starts/Reboots.

or when you calibrate Gyros with sticks.
Minthrottle + LeftYaw & PitchStick Low.

I usually press resetbutton before takeoff= reset homePos..

/Patrik

RTM, with latest dev, home pos is set when you armed your copter (assuming that you have lock at that moment)

mgros

Post by mgros »

Could be better set home pos in other moment. Think if you are doing FPV, land, stop motors, arm and take off, you get a diferent home pos.

I have read a good idea in this forum, set home pos at first 3d Fix and reset every time you calibrate gyros.

See this post http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=649&p=11123&hilit=gyro#p11123

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I like the idea of setting a new home position with Gyro Calibration, pressing the reset is easy also as long as the main power to the ESCs are not connected. :D

warthox

Post by warthox »

setting homepos during gyrocal is not better. in this case i would prefer setting homepos while arming.
an universal solution would be the use of an aux channel switch. so u can set homepos wherever and in which situation ever your copter is.