serial to i2c arduino

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
handsomejackuk

serial to i2c arduino

Post by handsomejackuk »

Hi,
I have just got another pro mini arduino nano board and hoping to use it for serial to i2c conversion for my gps unit i dont have any free serials on my 328p flight controller board.... has anyone made one of these boards and know what arduino nano ports i use for the gps rx tx and the sda scl output for conversion. i have the i2c nav sketch uploaded to the board but there is no documentation in there to say what pins to connect...

QuadBow

Re: serial to i2c arduino

Post by QuadBow »

There are special p328-based boards for this purpose. Google after I2C_GPS_NAV.
But be warned: the forthcoming version of multiwii 2.4 will not support p328-based flight controllers to the most possible extend due to memory lack issues.
So, you should consider to buy an Mega2560-based flight controller to join new features like waypoint navigation.

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

QuadBow wrote:There are special p328-based boards for this purpose. Google after I2C_GPS_NAV.
But be warned: the forthcoming version of multiwii 2.4 will not support p328-based flight controllers to the most possible extend due to memory lack issues.
So, you should consider to buy an Mega2560-based flight controller to join new features like waypoint navigation.

i see that there are purpose built boards i wondered if anyone has succesfully made one using the available code ?

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

handsomejackuk wrote:i wondered if anyone has succesfully made one using the available code ?

I bought one of the i2c_gps_nav boards, which work well for most gps devices.
You can update the firmware if required due to https://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list
But, mentioned earlier, the whole i2c_gps approach is being phased out. So, don't be surprised that also the i2c_gps_nav firmware has no updated version.
In particular you have to take care when using an UBLOX Neo6 device without EEPROM.

Due to the post https://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/issues/detail?id=6, which I do confirm, there is an initialisation error for the latest version v2.2-beta, which requires to take hands on the code. There is no bugfix available on the related homepage. Lastly, I got it running implementing the changes proposed at that post.

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

Thanks I will work through it later

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

got one part of the serial to i2c convertor working i can pick up a 3d lock with my ublox neo 6... the convertor flashes single leds then after about 20 seconds a triple pulse so assuming that is the 3d lock just need to get the i2c part. sorted

back to the bench !!!!

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

sorted all working confirmed on multiwii ez gui 6 satellites well pleased....

axljackass

Post by axljackass »

hi can share your solution?