PWM or PPM

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
handsomejackuk

PWM or PPM

Post by handsomejackuk »

Hi.. quick question is there any advantage to running PPM other than the single connection to flight controller..?

what i am asking is there any less processing to be done with PPM. or do they both use same processing power...

QuadBow

Re: PWM or PPM

Post by QuadBow »

PPM=pulse pause modulation is the name of the modulation scheme, you can apply it for several channels or just for one channel.
If you apply it to more than one channel, it is also called PPM_SUM or combined PPM=CPPM.
The advantage of PPM_SUM/CPPM is that you have to connect only one signal wire between FC and receiver.
I don't see any big difference as to the burden for the processor.
So, try to make use of PPM_SUM/CPPM. The only hampering factor are receivers, which do not support PPM_SUM/CPPM.
I had to flash the firmware of my FRSKY receivers in order to enable PPM_SUM/CPPM.

handsomejackuk

Re: PWM or PPM

Post by handsomejackuk »

sorry i took so long to get back... i built the pwm - ppm interface with another arduino nano, and got that running on a flysky 8 channel receiver works well too.... will eventually get some frsky stuff but fundsa re a bit limited at moment so making most of my stuff...