MultiwiiConf Graphical Enhancements

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Leo

Post by Leo »

Everyone,

The conf tool is no doubt an essential item on the Multiwii platform.
Problem is that is looks kind of stale.... IMHO of course.
I have therefore made some changes to make it look a little more appealing.

- I've added the possibility for custom backgrounds. You can create your own and name it "background.png". It will automatically load into the GUI by simply placing it in the "data" folder. I'm sure there are some gifted people who can create some cool backgrounds.
- Also the modifications found in this thread: http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5401 were applied
- and I did some other graphical improvements.
- Added the option to make a screen shot by pressing "s" (18.09.2014)

The GUI is based on version 2.3.

Todo:

- Nothing more at the moment :)

Let me know if there is any interest.

Leo

Download
Source file:
MultiWiiConf.zip
MultiWiiConf Version 2.31
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

Compiled version 2.31
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/helicopters/QuadCopter/programs/application.windows32.zip
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/helicopters/QuadCopter/programs/application.linux32.zip
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/helicopters/QuadCopter/programs/application.linux64.zip
Last edited by Leo on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

Please don't remove the 'close comm' option, as otherwise my computer hangs when I unplug the cable. If I hit 'close comm' then the program crashes, but at least this is more usable than an unresponsive computer.

To my mind the problem with the gui is that the wheel has been reinvented several times, which leads to weirdness like not being able to click on a checkbox properly, the comm text overlapping the PID area etc. Why not start with the baseflight configurator which would give it a modern UI with minimal effort?

Leo

Re: MultiwiiConf Graphical Enhancements

Post by Leo »

nebbian wrote:Please don't remove the 'close comm' option, as otherwise my computer hangs when I unplug the cable. If I hit 'close comm' then the program crashes, but at least this is more usable than an unresponsive computer.

I think I should have been more precise. If you call up the GUI the "CLOSE COMM" button shouldn't be there because no port was selected. As soon as you select a port or do a reconnect the "CLOSE COMM" button shows up.

nebbian wrote:To my mind the problem with the gui is that the wheel has been reinvented several times, which leads to weirdness like not being able to click on a checkbox properly, the comm text overlapping the PID area etc. Why not start with the baseflight configurator which would give it a modern UI with minimal effort?

It is not my intention to reinvent the GUI. For me this GUI is the standard software in the MultiWii platform. It does what it's suppose to do. I just want to correct some graphical errors and add some small features that I miss while using it (e.g. screen shot function). I also want to use software that does not depend on other resources. If I read correctly Baseline Configuration relies on Chrome.

BTW, I now have the screen shot function working :)

Leo

Post by Leo »

This is how a screen shot looks like:

It is named "MultiWiiConf-xxxx.png" (x = random numbers) and saved in the directory where MultiWiiConf.exe resides.

Today I got the ALT Baro hold to work quiet nicely by playing with the ALT PID's.

bicycle

Post by bicycle »

Leo wrote:I also want to use software that does not depend on other resources. If I read correctly Baseline Configuration relies on Chrome.

baseflight configurator requires chrome, but multiwii config requires java, which is known malware/spyware. so choose your poison.

Leo

Post by Leo »

bicycle wrote:
Leo wrote:I also want to use software that does not depend on other resources. If I read correctly Baseline Configuration relies on Chrome.

baseflight configurator requires chrome, but multiwii config requires java, which is known malware/spyware. so choose your poison.

Well, then we should stop using Windows altogether ;)

For me having Java installed is more important than the need of Chrome.

Leo

Post by Leo »

I have now made the model type 3D view a little more pleasant to look at, at least in my eyes :)

Leo

Post by Leo »

I've made some more small cosmetic changes :)

I also tried a different background.

I see some have caught on with the background idea :)

shikra

Post by shikra »

Now who would that be :)

Leo

Post by Leo »

NICE.... :)

Leo

Post by Leo »

The P-I-D section has now been cleaned up :)

I think that's as far as I'm going to go :)

sismeiro

Post by sismeiro »

Leo wrote:The P-I-D section has now been cleaned up :)

I think that's as far as I'm going to go :)

Looks nice. :)

ezio

Post by ezio »

Good work!

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

TOTALLY DISAGREE

I read "amazing" thing here ... java = malaware ... what disinformation is this !
Java Plug In on a browser ... opening Java apps on the fly download and running .. yes this is possible malaware ... but have JRE installed in the PC is 100% safe ... Java is multi platform friendly .. so the usage of Java was a smart decision.

Then ... why a button for a screen shot ? Every decent OS has this functionality embedded ... why developer show waste time on function that has a questionable usage, plus is already in the OS ?

Finally ... why developer should waste time on adding background image or other esthetically stuff ... MultiWii should be kept KISS ... Keep It Stupid and Simple "

I find the Java GUI perfect ... one screen with all the information ... excellent !

Only one minor thing ... the PID scaling make no sense .. inside PID is 0 to 255 .. why for P this is shown divided by 10 ? ... for I by 1000 and for D is left as it is ? .. This is a no sense !
Also ... often I set a PID value on the Java GUI, but then when I read it back it is changed by 0.1 .. so I guess some dummy rounding error happening ...

Leo

Post by Leo »

e_lm_70 wrote:TOTALLY DISAGREE

I read "amazing" thing here ... java = malaware ... what disinformation is this !
Java Plug In on a browser ... opening Java apps on the fly download and running .. yes this is possible malaware ... but have JRE installed in the PC is 100% safe ... Java is multi platform friendly .. so the usage of Java was a smart decision.

Then ... why a button for a screen shot ? Every decent OS has this functionality embedded ... why developer show waste time on function that has a questionable usage, plus is already in the OS ?

Finally ... why developer should waste time on adding background image or other esthetically stuff ... MultiWii should be kept KISS ... Keep It Stupid and Simple "

I find the Java GUI perfect ... one screen with all the information ... excellent !

Only one minor thing ... the PID scaling make no sense .. inside PID is 0 to 255 .. why for P this is shown divided by 10 ? ... for I by 1000 and for D is left as it is ? .. This is a no sense !
Also ... often I set a PID value on the Java GUI, but then when I read it back it is changed by 0.1 .. so I guess some dummy rounding error happening ...

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Some of the enhancements were obviously misunderstood.

I only corrected graphical issues, not functional ones!

Leo

Re:

Post by Leo »

sismeiro wrote:Looks nice. :)

ezio wrote:Good work!

Thank you!

The code can now be downloaded from the first post.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Here a liquefied background image :)

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

Links to the uber coolness appreciated

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

And perhaps you could give those of us who understand basics like compilation, but not java, a clue how to get from MultiWiiConf.pde to application.linux64/lib/MultiWiiConf.jar (for any OS specific variant of application.linux64). I'd really like to have a less ugly multiwii conf.

Leo

Post by Leo »

stronnag wrote:And perhaps you could give those of us who understand basics like compilation, but not java, a clue how to get from MultiWiiConf.pde to application.linux64/lib/MultiWiiConf.jar (for any OS specific variant of application.linux64). I'd really like to have a less ugly multiwii conf.

Sorry about that. I assumed that everyone new how to compile the source code. You will need to download http://www.processing.org/.

However, I posted the executable files in the first post. Please give it (them) a try and let me know if you have problems (I can't test the Linux versions though).

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

Leo,

Mea culpa, last time I looked at first I only recall seeing the source. The linux 64 versions work wonderfully. Great job.

Leo

Post by Leo »

I'm glad it works!

Post a screen shot if you're using a different background :)

Stone-D

Post by Stone-D »

Leo wrote:- I've added the possibility for custom backgrounds. You can create your own and name it "background.png". It will automatically load into the GUI by simply placing it in the "data" folder. I'm sure there are some gifted people who can create some cool backgrounds.
- Also the modifications found in this thread: http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5401 were applied

Nicely done, Leo!

Leo wrote:- Added the option to make a screen shot by pressing "s" (18.09.2014)

Me love you long time.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Stone-D wrote:
Leo wrote:- I've added the possibility for custom backgrounds. You can create your own and name it "background.png". It will automatically load into the GUI by simply placing it in the "data" folder. I'm sure there are some gifted people who can create some cool backgrounds.

Nicely done, Leo!

Leo wrote:- Added the option to make a screen shot by pressing "s" (18.09.2014)

Me love you long time.

Glad you like it.

The screen shot save function is a must have in my books :)

Lecostarius

Post by Lecostarius »

Hi Leo,

thanks a lot for the beautiful update of MultiWiiConf!

I am working on some additions to MultiWii and MultiWiiConf, and I like your improved look so much that I have now refactored my code to reflect all your modifications.

If I ever manage to feed back my additions to the community, your improved look will be part of them :-)

-- Leco

Leo

Post by Leo »

I'm glad you like it!

...and be sure to update this thread ;)

Leo