What happens if ACC / Level Mode PID's are set to/near zero

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
ctzsnooze3

What happens if ACC / Level Mode PID's are set to/near zero

Post by ctzsnooze3 »

Hi

In Horizon mode, the documentation for 2.2 says that there is a gradual removal of the Acc contribution (becoming more like manual/acro) when pitch/roll sticks are moved away from centre. I've tried this mode and like it a lot. This functionality implies that it is possible in software to reduce the Acc contribution in some smooth way, and that maybe it can be set to zero and then you end up in manual/Acro mode.

What I would really like to do is to reduce the overall sensitivity of the Acc contribution, gradually, as my ACRO skills develop. At the moment it is still a very big step from Level mode to Acro mode.

So I was wondering if it made sense to have a feature request that in the GUI there could be an 'Acc Contrib' value, that could be set between 0 and 1. At 1 you have the full Level mode functionality with whatever PID's. At 0 you have no Acc contribution. At 0.5, you have 50% of the usual contribution.

I guess I was thinking that a new user might then gradually wean themselves off Acc as they move to Acro.

To date what I've done is to reduce the Acc PID's, all roughly in similar proportions, from the default values. This seems to reduce the overall Level mode effect. But I want to know how low I can go.... :-) I have AeroSim, and if I set it's Acc PID's to zero it becomes completely unflyable. But that is AeroSim.

So I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know, from personal experience, with MWI 2.3, what happens if Acc PID's are set to zero - does it just become Acro, or does it become un-flyable and unstable?

2. Do you think it would be useful to gradually and progressively reduce Acc support in the GUI in Level or Horizon modes by setting an 'Acc contribution' value between 0 an 1 (while leaving PID's at some optimal value)?

3. (ha ha always another) does anyone know exactly how much the Acc contribution is reduced when pitch/roll sticks move away from centre? Like, is it reduced 50% at 50% full roll/pitch, or perhaps reduced 100% by 30% roll/pitch? I'm just curious and can't find that answer anywhere.

Thanks for your advice

Chris.

PS - thanks so much for making this software possible! :-)

waltr

Re: What happens if ACC / Level Mode PID's are set to/near z

Post by waltr »

The Pitch/Roll Rate value in the MW GUI is the amount of ACC reduction to stick movement in Horizon mode.
Increase this value to reduce ACC contribution as the sticks are moved from center.

ctzsnooze3

Re: What happens if ACC / Level Mode PID's are set to/near z

Post by ctzsnooze3 »

Isn't the Pitch/Roll PID Rate applicable to gyros in all modes - not just Horizon mode?
Are you absolutely certain that it applies to Acc?
As far as I'm aware, the Pitch/Roll PID Rate value reduced gyro PID's at high stick values.
I didn't think it has anything at all to do with Horizon mode or with the Acc sensor.