MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
shikra

Re: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

Post by shikra »

OK I see. I have never seen a DJI OSD so just watched on youtube and it is as you say.

Personally I think its not intuitive display direction. I have flow with sukhoi reversed direction OSD years ago and it's weird!!

Try this?

find in screen.ino:
pitchAngle=pitchAngle+10;

replace with:
pitchAngle=pitchAngle-10;
pitchAngle=-pitchAngle;
rollAngle=-rollAngle;

if works I'll add an option into config.h for easier selection in future

vadimr

Post by vadimr »

shikra wrote:OK I see. I have never seen a DJI OSD so just watched on youtube and it is as you say.

Personally I think its not intuitive display direction. I have flow with sukhoi reversed direction OSD years ago and it's weird!!

Try this?

find in screen.ino:
pitchAngle=pitchAngle+10;

replace with:
pitchAngle=pitchAngle-10;
pitchAngle=-pitchAngle;
rollAngle=-rollAngle;

if works I'll add an option into config.h for easier selection in future

Worked perfectly! I agree it's reverse but since I can't change it on DJI and I use same ground station to fly both it will really screw me up. Thank you for your hard work, the OSD is great!

nguyen.tran

Post by nguyen.tran »

I have a Mullet board running Cleanflight 1.8, also Micro MinimOSD running MW_OSD 1.3. I have some problem with PID tuning through goggles. I have enabled // define cleanflight in the config.h file. I can change PID setting in the first page but I cannot change the rates in the second page, through the goggles.

When i downgrade the board to Cleanflight 1.7.2 i can change everything through goggles. So it looks like it's a problem associated with CF 1.8 and above. Is it a known issue or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Guys, I feel so noob, but how can I execute the MW_OSD_GUI of the 1.4 ? I can't find the common applications for the windows only some JDE etc files... ?

Thanks and sorry for my noobness... ;)

shikra

Post by shikra »

nguyen / vdmir

changes are implemented in latest repository contains updated compiled version with a few enhancements and all logged bugs fixed (hopefully) This is R1.4 pre-release no 4. Hopefully the last :)

available from link at bottom of http://www.mwosd.com

Of note:
Includes an untested option to support Cleanflight 1.9
Fixes for GPOSD incorrect sat data
A number of small recent requests - see list of changes below

Full features
https://github.com/ShikOfTheRa/scarab-o ... eatures.md

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Ehhe, it seemed my previously downloaded package was not complete... :? :roll: :geek: :)

Jankomatic

Post by Jankomatic »

Not sure if this is the right place and I did a search with no results. I have successfully flashed my minim-osd with MW_OSD.ino with Arduino. I know the OSD and everything else I plug into this USB port is COMM 3, but inside of the MWOSD gui I can't seem to change it to COMM 3. It only shows COMM 1. I have clicked and right clicked various things, but the onlything I can change in that area is the baud rate. Any idea how I can remedy this?

Well I got the above figured out, had to reboot my system for some reason. So I have the items turned on that I want in MWOSD. I can successfully write it to the OSD, but when I look a the screen it just says:

DISARMED and I see a small arrow in the upper right. For like 3 seconds my HAM callsign flashed on the page, but it went away and everything else I set up is not showing up. I have OSD Enable/Disable on a switch, setup in cleanflight and I know the switch is doing what it should. So why am I not seeing what I would expect to see on the display?

Thanks

shikra

Post by shikra »

Sounds like not seeing data from the flight controller.
In next release it will advise "No data" to make it a little clearer.

Check out FAQ #11

Jankomatic

Post by Jankomatic »

Thanks for the reply, looked at the FAQ. I have everything you mentioned in that post set except this:

set serial_port_1_scenario = 5
set serial_port_2_scenario = 2
SAVE setting port 1 to 5 equates to MSP, CLI, GPS-PASSTHROUGH setting port 2 assigns it for gps , feature GPS will also need to be enabled

I don't have a GPS, so are they needed? Either way my FC via cleanflight doesn't recognize those first two commands(no such setting) and I am unsure exactly what the 3rd line is asking me to do.

Screenshot of current OSD.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/J ... g~original

--- EDIT

I found the settings in the CLI that I assume are similar to the above, but they aren't scenarios. Not sure what I need to set.
set serial_port_1_functions = 1
set serial_port_1_msp_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_1_telemetry_baudrate = 0
set serial_port_1_blackbox_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_1_gps_baudrate = 4
set serial_port_2_functions = 0
set serial_port_2_msp_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_2_telemetry_baudrate = 0
set serial_port_2_blackbox_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_2_gps_baudrate = 4
set serial_port_3_functions = 0
set serial_port_3_msp_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_3_telemetry_baudrate = 0
set serial_port_3_blackbox_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_3_gps_baudrate = 4
set serial_port_4_functions = 0
set serial_port_4_msp_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_4_telemetry_baudrate = 0
set serial_port_4_blackbox_baudrate = 5
set serial_port_4_gps_baudrate = 4

Thanks in advance!

shikra

Post by shikra »

Firstly - you need to sort your fonts !!
Check out user guide or FAQ #14
Select a font, then upload...

For no comms..

1 ensure baud rate in cleanflight matches OSD
2 ensure rx/tx wires are connected properly and nothing else connecte don same port
3 ensure cleanflight serial settings are correct (I don't know what your setup should be ...)

note osd/gui cant be connected/working at same time on same serial port.

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Guys, I have to double check, but I have just upgrade the FW to the latest pre1.4, set the config.h to CF 1.9, did a clear eprom, then flash the latest FW, restart, in the gui load fonts, restart, setup the in the GUI.

In the OSW menu on the field I have not seen the separated roll rate and pitch rate...! ? is it implemented? or something I have missed in the setup?

Many thanks,
B

shikra

Post by shikra »

Can you try 1.5pre - this has the completed CF1.9 code.
1.4 had error on menu. Forgot to display options.....

It's untested by me as I have no CF at moment. A couple of weeks and CF quad stuff should be here....

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Thanks Shikra,

Can you point me to the 1.5pre? I can't find on the MWOSD download page... :( ??

Many thanks,
B

shikra

Post by shikra »

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

thanks matey! ;)

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

bulesz wrote:Thanks Shikra,

Can you point me to the 1.5pre? I can't find on the MWOSD download page... :( ??

Many thanks,
B

Ahhááá, I was looking for 1.5pre and not 1.4 pre5...thanks bro, it's downloading now. I will come back with the CF 1.9 related test results.

Cheerz,
B

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

feature request if possible...
I was checking out an old OSD firmware by Dennis Frie, and, in it, he's got a feature that calculates the # of mAh per kilometer & also the distance until empty (based on user-defined battery size).

Would it be possible to add something like this?

shikra

Post by shikra »

Its on the dev list. Not sure when though. Probably next release

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I've made a small function to Push MSP messages from MWIi.
Mainly for a small Variometer/Telemetry project using a 328 in a soaring plane.
Just make a timeinterupt push to get the data you want.

Code: Select all

msp_push(GPS_SERIAL,MSP_ALTITUDE);
In this case get the Vario data sent o the GPS_SERIAL port via a simple serial tx.

Code: Select all

void msp_push(uint8_t uart, uint8_t msp){
  CURRENTPORT=uart;
  cmdMSP[CURRENTPORT]=msp;
  evaluateCommand(msp);
}

Can maybe be useful to run OSD on GPS port to?

/Patrik

shikra

Post by shikra »

So run a 328 with gps on serial rx input. tx output to osd with push msp. could probably use shared line to gps to

Actually thats how gui simulator works - its a push message only - no request/send method!

Here you go - your fixed wing and Naze together with 1.4 pre5... from FPV meet in UK this saturday!!! I never flew here before and lost orientation at one point. First time I have needed and OSD to get home for years. It was much darker than video indicates.... the camera worked well - made it look almost like day. Much better than expected
Many thanks for your time to bring us this. We have a great combination now for a full RTH system. Same setup going into a skyhunter next.

Updates are slow - 1hz 9600 gps. Baseflight no support MTK init like the gui indicates... I checked the code :(
Edge of screen is cut off in vid - actual distance is correct in case anyone notices it looks like its counting wrong!

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I see the Homarrow is really lagging but it's helpful..
A little creepy music tough;)

A warning about the latest Baseflight release...
For Ublox init it is set to pedestrian mode.
That means GPS will not work properly in speeds over ~105 km/h.
That's ok for slower planes but many planes easily exceeds that speed!

shikra

Post by shikra »

Yeah it sucks a little. But you should see the autopilot try to work with it! Not good. Maybe can be tuned but I will solve GPS first

I saw your post on that. I hope someone adds an option to use old inits. Maybe I will do the MTK fix, but I've never used STM. It looks ok to follow and understand.

oh and edit - the music I downloaded some weird royalty free shit. Not actually listened to it yet!

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

there seems to be a problem with the latest GUI for 1.4; it doesn't seem to be saving the settings correctly (for MW 2.3).

Also, the GUI is really getting on my nerves because it's pegging the CPU @ 100% on the XP box that I have in my workshop. It makes the entire system slow down and the GUI is very slow to respond to mouse actions. Is there anything that can be done to lighten the load on the GUI? maybe convert it to multiple tabs or something in order to lower the processing? dunno, but java is really performing like crap with this particular app.

shikra

Post by shikra »

What bit is not saving - writing to osd or saving to disk.
I don't recall anything has changed for mw2.3. Actually its identical for mw2.4 / baseflight
- only difference is sending of FC current value / heading info. Read.write is identical.

For high cpu - I will have a look at. I know it can run hard. Not great unless you have newer laptop with multiple processor cores.
It may be that we can provide an option to reduce the framerate in the GUI config file.
Added to the todo list

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

shikra wrote:What bit is not saving - writing to osd or saving to disk.
I don't recall anything has changed for mw2.3. Actually its identical for mw2.4 / baseflight
- only difference is sending of FC current value / heading info. Read.write is identical.

For high cpu - I will have a look at. I know it can run hard. Not great unless you have newer laptop with multiple processor cores.
It may be that we can provide an option to reduce the framerate in the GUI config file.
Added to the todo list

the call sign, compass enable, distance/height alarms, and I believe a couple of others, but I can't remember right now off-hand.

What I did was go into the config header file and set my defaults, erase eeprom & then reload MWOSD. Upon checking in the GUI, the values weren't what I set in the config file, and hitting the 'default' button doesn't set them correctly either.

How can I test lowering the frame rate for the GUI? Anything else I can do to help make it faster?
I realize that it would be better to just use a newer, faster machine, but this is just an old laptop that I use in my workshop for RC stuff, and I can't really invest in a new machine just because the MW GUI's are such CPU hogs :(

Also, is there an easy way to switch those 'arrow boxes' in the GUI for actual text boxes that you can type values into? With a slow/freezing GUI, it's really hard to do the 'mouse drag' in order to increase & decrease values.

shikra

Post by shikra »

OK - I have no idea - if you tweak defaults in gloablvariables.h, that is exactly what should load after a wipe/reflash. I am at a loss to explain - unless using a gui version that is different to osd version - and one befor ethe gui version check implemented.

Framerate-
Can only change this if you change code and compile a new gui
I have added this as a hidden option for future releases (edit framerate in data/ gui.cfg)
A complied version is here, but suggest to download the latest release for the OSD as I know its compatible with that...
http://www.flypix.co.uk/ftp/

Suggest reducing from 30 down to 5 times per second. I checked on mine and it reduces CPU utilisation by a very significant amount.

For text entry box - unfortunately no plans. need someone with right skills to do that. Not me... and the method does suck... agree on that.

ttsalo

Post by ttsalo »

I'm finishing configuring my new hex with MultiWii 2.4 and MWOSD 1.4, and everything else seems to be working fine except getting the amperage from the flight controller. I have a hardware voltage+current sensor connected to the FC and I can see correct voltage and amperage readings in MultiWiiConf when connected to the FC, but when I change to the OSD, the voltage is shown correctly but the amps (and mAh) read always zero in the OSD. Here's how I have configured it:

I'm assuming that "Use FC amperage" overrides the adjustments below it and should show the value from FC verbatim? Or is there some catch I have missed?
Attachments
MWOSD_GUI_screenshot.jpg

shikra

Post by shikra »

looks set up correctly.
You can test in latest version of simulator by dragging the throttle up. Should see current draw go up on OSD

kamileon

Post by kamileon »

So with stand alone mode now available with GPS. When I set this up without the FC do I just connect my GPS to the TX and RX pads on my minimum osd, or is there a different way that this need to be connected to the osd.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Correct - thats all.

Also volts/amps/rssi too if want that infor!

kamileon

Post by kamileon »

shikra wrote:Correct - thats all.

Also volts/amps/rssi too if want that infor!

Awesome thanks.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

can someone please explain or provide examples of the different map modes? I tried searching the thread but didn't find anything that made sense. The videos that shikra had originally posted as examples have been taken down.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Does this help?

FAQ #19 How do I use MAP mode? It doesn't seem to work

Quick answer: Select HUD layout 4 and set MAP mode to 1
Long answer:
Firstly items to be displayed need to be enabled in the hud layout being used. (Map mode and Map center)
Secondly - on the GUI or OSD menu, map mode buts be set from 1-4.
- mode 1 is where aircraft is center and H displays home location
- mode 2 is where Home is center of the map and X displays relative aircraft position
- mode 3 is a combination of mode 2 and 3
- mode 4 is low resolution, but with ^ indicating location of aircraft and heading

schnupperm

Bug in font upload

Post by schnupperm »

hi,
after 2 days I finally got the fonts from and with the 1.4.1 version uploaded. The problem seems to be, that the firmware and the GUI use a baud rate of 115200, but the part that does the font uploading uses 38400. After countless tries it worked instantly as I change the baud rate in config.h and the GUI to 38400.

Edit: may be it's only a linux problem...
Last edited by schnupperm on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leo

Re: Bug in font upload

Post by Leo »

schnupperm wrote:hi,
after 2 days I finally got the fonts from and with the 1.4 version uploaded. The problem seems to be, that the firmware and the GUI use a baud rate of 115200, but the part that does the font uploading uses 38400. After countless tries it worked instantly as I change the baud rate in config.h and the GUI to 38400.

Thank you for posting this!

I uploaded 1.4 about a week ago. A couple of days later I uploaded the "large" font. In the GUI it was fine. Yesterday I flew my Quad and noticed that the font size was still set at default size. I knew I didn't do anything wrong.

Let's hope this gets fixed asap.

schnupperm

default font with big digits

Post by schnupperm »

hi,

as I find it some times hard to read the numbers of the default font on my display and the large front is to bold, I only made the digits bigger but as transparent as possible.
Attachments
default_large_digits.zip
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

Leo

Post by Leo »

I've also noticed that even though GPS coordinates has been disabled, when I switch to RTH they pop up on the screen (Ver 1.4).

shikra

Post by shikra »

This is planned operation requested - In case of signal loss, display co-ordinates for recording....
It can be disabled by using functionality in the layout editor - disable the latitude and longitude co-ords.

Leo wrote:I've also noticed that even though GPS coordinates has been disabled, when I switch to RTH they pop up on the screen (Ver 1.4).

shikra

Post by shikra »

I haven't made any changes to the font upload code and as far as I am aware it uploads at whatever GUI/OSD speed is set. I have had a quick look and can't see anywhere its changing that.

I have just tried font upload changing from default>>large and back 5 times (10 changes in total) and it was OK each time. Verified on the OSD display.

Only issue I notice - the GUI seems to need to be restarted after each upload. Have not noticed that before so will Add that to bug list.
I can only test in windows unfortunately - tried 32 and 64 bit.

after 2 days I finally got the fonts from and with the 1.4.1 version uploaded. The problem seems to be, that the firmware and the GUI use a baud rate of 115200, but the part that does the font uploading uses 38400. After countless tries it worked instantly as I change the baud rate in config.h and the GUI to 38400.

Edit: may be it's only a linux problem...

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

shikra wrote:I can only test in windows unfortunately - tried 32 and 64 bit.

ok, I can confirm that it's only linux related. Tried with my old XP and it worked at 115200 baud. 4 times faster than under linux, so the linux font uploader uses 38400 baud. No idea why...

ArrogantDuck

Post by ArrogantDuck »

Good day,
I am hitting this problem and after two weeks I am asking for assistance.
Running win8, 64 bit and getting the following error when trying to run the gui:
ControlP5 2.0.4 infos, comments, questions at http://www.sojamo.de/libraries/con
trolP5
Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
at MW_OSD_GUI.updateConfig(MW_OSD_GUI.java:1910)
at MW_OSD_GUI.LoadConfig(MW_OSD_GUI.java:1940)
at MW_OSD_GUI.setup(MW_OSD_GUI.java:1016)
at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:2280)
at processing.core.PGraphicsJava2D.requestDraw(PGraphicsJava2D.java:243)

at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:2176)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Would anyone have a suggestion for overcoming this?
I have deleted java se files from my computer for the latest jdk, thinking that having the development files would work where the runtime files weren't.
Still no love.

Thanks for the assist,
Robert

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

hi,

I'm happy that I can upload new fonts again! So I sat down and made a new font which is bigger than the default font, but also slim, so that the landscape can not hide behind the text ;-)
Attachments
slim3.zip
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

shikra

Post by shikra »

@arrogantduck. For me it was a javapath issue. Affects many programs.
Have a look in the FAQ for link to a video.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Nice job Really like it. Think its better than the current large font
Would like to include as a font option within the package for others to use. Would you be OK with this. ANd if so what would you like to call it :)

I'm happy that I can upload new fonts again! So I sat down and made a new font which is bigger than the default font, but also slim, so that the landscape can not hide behind the text ;-)

ArrogantDuck

Post by ArrogantDuck »

Shikra,
Thanks for the response.

I have each of the Java folders in the path, both 32 and 64bit.
I have to presume that what you say is the case as others aren't screaming in droves at a 'fix'.
Which version of Java was this written in? Or a better question: which should I be using?

It seems to be finding my installations but...something else doesn't seem to be in the right path.

Ok. More studying.
Again, thanks for the response and food for thought.
Robert

shikra wrote:@arrogantduck. For me it was a javapath issue. Affects many programs.
Have a look in the FAQ for link to a video.

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

shikra wrote:Nice job Really like it. Think its better than the current large font
Would like to include as a font option within the package for others to use. Would you be OK with this. ANd if so what would you like to call it :)

I'm ok with that. Unfortunately I'm not so good in naming things... maybe: shadow, new_large or default ;-)

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

may I add a feature request?

Two things which I found to be useful from my patched 1.2 Version:
- match the AHI (artificial horizon) to the real horizon in pitch and especially roll. You need one factor for the pitch and one for the roll angle which can be adjusted via stick menu, so they can be easily tuned. (Tuning via config.h an reflashing is no fun, but I was not smart enough to code it myself ;-)

- an arrow indicator for the drift angle (difference between heading and GPS ground course). It helps a lot when flying in windy conditions.

For a better explanation I attached the last version of my "flight path vector"-patch.
Attachments
font4fpv.mcm.zip
(5.44 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
MW_OSD_R1.2_FPV_0.4.diff.zip
(7.76 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

..and another couple of requests...

-add/bring back the vario climb/descend rate from KVTEAM OSD.
Unless I'm missing something, the vario in MWOSD doesn't show the actual rate, it just shows the moving arrow thingies. I actually found it useful to know the rate of climb & descent, especially when flying through thermals. KVTeam shows this info in its vario. If there's already a way to display this info, please tell me how to enable it.

-add an option to display pitch&roll angle values, either somehow stuck to the AHI or as separate values that can be enabled/disabled & moved around.

Having the actual pitch&roll values would help a lot when in low visibility (flying through fog/clouds), and also would be helpful for adjusting auto-level mode; if you know the P&R roll angles necessary to keep your model level, you can simply calibrate your acc's later using those values as a reference.

should be very simple & straight-forward to add this. please consider it...

shikra

Post by shikra »

@Schnupperm – updated main trunk:

“Default” (current standard at vanilla gui install)
“Default large” – yours
“Default bold” – current 1.4 large. Maybe more towards more black background / clear contrast. I have found this of some benefit on mini quad fast flying in noisey environment. Brain interprets data that bit faster / easier. Great in conjunction with simple screen 0 say volts + timer.

For AHI pitch / roll –Must admit I’m not getting need for roll as never experienced need forthis!! Are cameras not fitted level – or plane not trimmed?
I find horizon varies so much + plane moves around so much it’s a bit unnecessary.
Also note that although we can tune the horizon bar – it not possible with center hair or AHI sidebar centers – can only be moved a whole character up/down.
I’d like to include in GUI / saved value, but in reality I think this would incur too much memory overhead. Tuning I can understand a pain… maybe we can make that easier by displaying values. Should only need to do it once then

Drift angle - same issues – any implementation needs to have minimal memeory overhead – and for lesser used functionality, must be completely excluded via define a standard. Also font space is at a premium – especially for planned future work accounting for almost all of it.
Maybe we can make existing heading arrow code? Use a second arrow with single char to side indicating it is HV Heading vector or something?
-------

shikra

Post by shikra »

@Rubadud
Vario rate – yep its on the roadmap. Quite likely for next release.

Pitch / Roll angles – is quite easy and I think not much memory.
Probably in conjunction with schnupperm’s comments above. Disabled by default.
Most likely not for next release.