MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
shikra

MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

Post by shikra »

Hi all

I'd like to share some development of the Rushduino based OSDs.
It is based upon the excellent team project rush-osd-development - R370 and ALL work up to that point is fully acknowledged with full credit to all the contributors and testers - especially Johhny Gab who created the first open source OSD for MultiWii.

Source code and packaged download / brief instructions / calibration guides are available here:
https://code.google.com/p/multiwii-osd/

Its fully compatible with minim OSD such as:
http://store.3drobotics.com/products/ap ... sd-rev-1-1

Or the all-in-one multiwii/OSD boards such as:
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/ ... -autopilot

A quick vid overview of some of the features

Top 5 improvements:-
    Software Current sensor - no hardware required!
    MAP/RADAR modes - relative position and direction of aircraft from home
    PWM RSSI
    Screen bling - scrolling sidebars
    GUI - can enable/ disable all screen items and view in sumulator

Key Improvements for R1:- OSD
    Re layout of OSD - more Pro feel than r370
    Introduction of RADAR and MAP modes
    Virtual current sensor - no hardware required - surprisingly accurate when calibrated around hover / 50% throttle
    Implementation of standard / minimal screen using OSD_SWITCH - sometimes referred to as "smart switch"
    Optimised icons throughout - less intrusive
    Support for up to 6s
    Working PWM RSSI
    Easy RSSI calibration via OSD
    Standard and reversed RSSI supported - PWM / Multiwii and OSD ADC
    Higher resolution for adjustment on voltages and current
    MODE Indicator button
    Gimbal active indicator + on / off
    Support for older I2C GPS - displays correct speed (10% of actual)
    Support for older I2C GPS - fix for incorrect distance > 650m (untested)
    Support for GPS time (requires MW 2.3 patched or 2.4) (haydent)
    Optional Scrolling side bars - indicating altitude + speed change
    Optional direction indicators at top / bottom of scrolling side bars
    Optional elevation indicator - additional horizon bars at extremes of angles
    Vario moved to less intrusive slider
    Support for VSYNC (Okan/VVK)
    OSD menu items optimised to minimise need for GUI
    Main Voltage adjustable in OSD Menu - and can see voltage in menu. Much easier
    OSD switch items can be selected in config.h
    Simplified OSD save routines
    GPS co-ords automatically displayed on RTH (should be set as fail-safe...) - just in case...
    GPS co-ords shown to 1m accuracy...
    RTH shows distance to home with Icon
    New implementation for hardware current sensor
    Permanent callsign display option
    All items can now be turned off / on on display via GUI. You have full control.
    VSYNC can be enabled / disabled in config //define VSYNC
    DEBUG mode for Multiwii developers in config //define DEBUG
    Screen squash - for monitors that do not display top line - in config.h #define SHIFTDOWN
    Many bugfixes

Key Improvements:- GUI
    Working Simulator
    Working Simulator display on GUI
    Full ability to view layout and impact of changes even without OSD
    Current sensor settings moved to OSD
    Relayout and separation of key groups
    Support for GPS time
    Reference voltage option added
    Flight mode icons on/off
    Scrolling side bars for speed/alt change indicators + on / off
    Baro alt on/off
    Compass on/off
    Additional Elevation horizon + on / off
    Timer on / off
    Flight sensors on / off
    Side bar arrows for speed/alt change indicators + on / off
    Preset defaults to save time and demonstrate GUI/OSD better
    Support for Map modes
    Many bugfixes

Work has started on the next release - currently planned:
    Large icon character maps - for those with small FOV goggles
    Improved and functional filtering for all relevant items
    Alternative HUD layouts
    Additional MAP mode
    More user changeable items on OSD menu
    Further optimisation of memory and speed
    Support for MultiWii plane branch by PatrickE
    + More

bicycle

Re: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

Post by bicycle »

Very cool, i'll be trying this soon, especially as kv osd development appears to have stopped. Thanks!

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Great job improving on this already great OSD firmware!

I have a couple of these OSD's and im going to be putting a MWC+MinimOSD into an airplane soon. I can't wait to give this a shot.

Free_Bird

Post by Free_Bird »

Can you explain how the software current sensing works?

shikra

Post by shikra »

Disarmed = a fixed current value - typically 0.3A to represent controller, vtx etc

Armed = linked to the throttle position and uses a combination of linear and exponential equation to emulate a typical current draw>>throttle position mapping
Vthrottle+(Vthrottle*Vthrottle*0.02)

I tested a number of props/motors and battery combos and plotted the graphs. The curves were all fairly similar. And then it was a case of working out an equation to match it.
If calibrate at approx hover point, you know it will be accurate at this point - and most times flying this is probably the average. :) and why it works so well.

I suspect it would not be so good on a plane...

In multicopter tests am getting over 95% accuracy compared to hardware. Far more than I expected....

Free_Bird

Post by Free_Bird »

Thank you for the explanation. It makes a lot of sense now how this is being accomplished.

Would it be possible for you to provide the data so that I can mess around with it on my own?

visper

Post by visper »

I have RSSI from Mwii. In KV OSD working well with parameters RSSI min = 26 (0%) and RSSI max = 153 (100%). Here this parameters not working. Automatic calibration also not working.

shikra

Post by shikra »

@freebird - I'll have a look to see if still have the data send me a pm with your email and I'll email over what I can find

@visper - what rx are you using? What values do you get if run the OSD menu calibration, then read them back?
I don't use myself, but have 4 testers using it. One with frsky, other with EZUHF. I can see it operate with servo tester.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Last night I flashed your firmware to both my MinimOSD modules and everything went smooth. I was impressed with the GUI, and i was glad to see everything working!! Something I had not yet experienced with my OSD :)

I used the PWM RSSI from my HobbyKing UHF receiver (Flashed with the latest openLRSng) but the RSSI values would only jump between 27 & 65%, with short spikes to 100%. If I turned off my TX, the RSSI dropped to 0% immediately, but otherwise the values were just not steady and definitely not accurate.

I then tested the Analog RSSI from my DTF 4ch UHF RX, and it worked great. Calibration worked great, and appeared to be reacting as it should. I did not do any range testing, but my 1am bench test passed.

I would like to know more about how the map mode works. Is it active at all times?? Tonight I plan to connect the OSD to my flight controller with real life GPS data and continue to play with things.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thanks for the time to test and try out. Its appreciated.

I tested this morning with a servo tester and it seems to work perfect, however I know some of the RX units (like my scherrer nrx on analogue) do not give out averaged / filtered RSSI and it fluctuates badly so may have to implement a good filter. I'll get on eof teh HK UHF rx and test out
I had this planned for next release anyway - work on this started this week.

For MAP modes, there are 2:
Map mode 1 : (Plane center, home depicted on map)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBcmQ0lceM4

Map mode 2: (Home center, home depicted on map - relative to home and take off direction)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCL2uWZvvKM

Mode 2 is enabled by default (can turn off/on on GUI or OSD menu)
I prefer look with AHI turned off at same time

In next release it will be user selectable on GUI + an alternative map mode. I hope to add support for the GUI visual too.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

Hello- I installed this firmware last night on a spare MinimOSD board- looking great so far. One concern- the Analog RSSI does seem to need a filtering algorithm- it seems to jump around a lot, perhaps giving instantaneous readings. Also, how is the Smart Switch engaged- I've not seen any documentation regarding how that is done.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Actually the analogue RSSI does have a very simple filter on it now. It is limits the change by 1/1024 each reading.
If seeing large fluctuations it can also be noise on the supply (mainly tricopters with servos) and also lack of decoupling caps.

I will look to improve this in next release.

For OSD switch - FAQ #1
https://code.google.com/p/multiwii-osd/wiki/FAQ

Gartenflieger

Post by Gartenflieger »

great job, Shikra!
It seems a lot of people have been waiting for the release of the KV OSD. At least I was.
thank you for your effort.

Christoph

gnrc

Post by gnrc »

Any build instructions?
Would love the use to gui on linux but I seem to be too dumb to figure it out :/

shikra

Post by shikra »

Gartenflieger wrote:great job, Shikra!
It seems a lot of people have been waiting for the release of the KV OSD. At least I was.
thank you for your effort.

Christoph

Am sure it will be released when the guys are ready - and it will be cool too

shikra

Post by shikra »

gnrc wrote:Any build instructions?
Would love the use to gui on linux but I seem to be too dumb to figure it out :/

either:
install processing
download and install the code from repository and run

or I'll compile and you can try? I no longer have linux to test....

gnrc

Post by gnrc »

I'll happily give your build a try and I would guess I am not the only one running linux who might be interested ;)

In the meantime I will try to build it myself but I think an 'official' build would still be neat.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

Shikra- thanks for the tip on the OSD SW- I should have known it was something I had to enable in Baseflight.

Okay... all set up. A few minor issues:

1) I have a 6S Multi- so got it set for 6S and got the main bat voltage calibrated. I would have thought the Video calibration number would be the same (same voltage divider resistors), but no, It is less than half the calibration number. And it's a pain to do, as OSD doesn't support calibrating the video voltage. Lots of trial and error!

2) Still not sure yet how to calibrate hardware current sensor. Was only working inside today, so never powered up the copter. But no matter what I did on the OSD adjustment, it always read zero. Is the OSD setting only for when running powered motors?

3) OSD SW off- when disarmed, it still shows Bat and Video voltage- but doesn't show RSSI alarm if I turn off transmiter. Is this expected?

4) I wish I could tweak the RSSI calibration numbers from the OSD. It's very odd that after I do the RSSI calibration via OSD, when I look in the PC GUI, the High and Low seem quite close together, even though the DragonLink RSSI is supposed to range from 0.75V (0%) to 3.5V (100%). Should these numbers be so close together?

shikra

Post by shikra »

linux GUI available here for gnrc or someone to test - please advise if OK...
http://www.flypix.co.uk/ftp

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thanks for trying and the feedback> Helps to impromve...

HFMan wrote:Shikra- thanks for the tip on the OSD SW- I should have known it was something I had to enable in Baseflight.

No probs!

HFMan wrote:1) I have a 6S Multi- so got it set for 6S and got the main bat voltage calibrated. I would have thought the Video calibration number would be the same (same voltage divider resistors), but no, It is less than half the calibration number. And it's a pain to do, as OSD doesn't support calibrating the video voltage. Lots of trial and error!

Understand... I'll add Vid voltage calibration via OSD menu on list for next release if enough resources. Agree much easier than via GUI if using 5v ref

HFMan wrote:2) Still not sure yet how to calibrate hardware current sensor. Was only working inside today, so never powered up the copter. But no matter what I did on the OSD adjustment, it always read zero. Is the OSD setting only for when running powered motors?

Main thing is to start with the zero adjust set correctly on the GUI - With "amps adjust" up reasonably high - say 100 or more, set zero adjust to zero and increase it until you get the correct current draw (typically between 0-0.5A on standby). if not getting a value, somethings up - code or connections!

OSD setting - can be saved when running or not. I did mine with an inline meter connected and copter running /tied down...
I'll add this to menu if I can...

HFMan wrote:3) OSD SW off- when disarmed, it still shows Bat and Video voltage- but doesn't show RSSI alarm if I turn off transmiter. Is this expected?

Yes- this is expected.
Can enable RSSI in config.h permanantly if you prefer: change #define OSDOFF21 DISPLAY_MIN_OFF (labelled as RSSI) to DISPLAY_ALWAYS

HFMan wrote:4) I wish I could tweak the RSSI calibration numbers from the OSD. It's very odd that after I do the RSSI calibration via OSD, when I look in the PC GUI, the High and Low seem quite close together, even though the DragonLink RSSI is supposed to range from 0.75V (0%) to 3.5V (100%). Should these numbers be so close together?

Can be on dependant upon resource. I'll add if I can...

gnrc

Post by gnrc »

shikra wrote:linux GUI available here for gnrc or someone to test - please advise if OK...
http://www.flypix.co.uk/ftp

Works like a charm, thank you very much.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Ok so I am just about to field test this bad boy. Got my quad back to 100% and tested my Ground Station. I am very pleased with the results, however the text on the OSD seems to be faint and somewhat opaque.

See:

I am curious if there's a way to remedy this? Also, if you notice on the Compass top-center, you will see the letters "DI" to the right. If i were to rotate the quad, you would see the entire word "DISARMED" instead of compass headings? I will see if that disapears when the quad is armed and in the air.

bicycle

Post by bicycle »

you messed up ntsc/pal selection probably

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

bicycle wrote:you messed up ntsc/pal selection probably

Nope. I have verified using the OSD menu system. In the Advanced page, it is set to NTSC.

Changing it to PAL does move the characters down... but does not make them any more visible.

bicycle

Post by bicycle »

that's weird then, when i had a similar problem it was a pal/ntsc issue

shikra

Post by shikra »

@Subaru..

Is that with airplane by any chance?

edit: I read too quickly.....
I know of a cause for that. PatrickE advised he sees the same with this and the kv software, but have never seen this unless using airplane branch ( an option will be included to support any that have that)

What controller / software are you running?

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

shikra wrote:@Subaru..

Is that with airplane by any chance?

edit: I read too quickly.....
I know of a cause for that. PatrickE advised he sees the same with this and the kv software, but have never seen this unless using airplane branch ( an option will be included to support any that have that)

What controller / software are you running?

I had a hunch, so I decided to swap out my new FPV cam with the old one i just removed. And wouldn't you know it, my OSD was crisp and clear and easy to read as ever!

I am going to contact SecurityCam2000 & RunCam about this, as the box is labeled NTSC 650TVL

shikra

Post by shikra »

Excelklent One issue solved! Now just the DI ! you got pm for something to try

Also for awareness, some of the high tvl cams do not work with the max chips. In practice I find the 700 + are the ones that usually fail. Same with other commercial OSD's using same chips

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

The DISAMED in compass is caused by FW-Nav.
I just uploaded a new FWNav version who fixes This problem.
FW_Nav_1140402.zip

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hey Patrick - good to see you here. I thought same, but Subaru is using baseflight rather than multiwii so posted in their thread.

All good - I'm going to be trying baseflight and the FW nav in next few weeks so should all be ready :)

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

shikra wrote:Hey Patrick - good to see you here. I thought same, but Subaru is using baseflight rather than multiwii so posted in their thread.

All good - I'm going to be trying baseflight and the FW nav in next few weeks so should all be ready :)

Thanks Guys. I got some info from Shikra to help fix the issue. I will give it a try.

Maybe TC will see this and make the necessary adjustments to his code. It would be much easier for me to flash Baseflight than to update the sketch on my OSD.

I have a extra 8bit MWC+MinimOSD for use in a plane. Looking forward to playing with your code Patrick!

shikra

Post by shikra »

@hfman
vidvoltage adjust added to OSD menu
zero amps adjust added to OSD menu
RSSI adjust max+min added to OSD menu
Also improved the display of Amps and volts in the OSD menu to show in human form

@subaru4wd
Correction option for baseflight added to config.h file

@PatrickE
Added the plane support changes into a #define for config.h

All subject to testing when I get chance then I'll post up

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

baseflight doesnt use config.h files.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

Subaru4wd.. but he's taking about config.h for osd firmware.

shikra... sweet, that will help a lot. I tried to fly today with the current firmware, but it was just too cold and windy for the goggles.

subaru4wd

Re:

Post by subaru4wd »

HFMan wrote:Subaru4wd.. but he's taking about config.h for osd firmware.

hahaha... of course, yes... that makes perfect sense!

I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night :lol:

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Hi Shikra !
This OSD with virtual Amps sensor is fine ! :)
I just modified it to match with adapted Harakiri for Naze32 .

Regards
Hinkel

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thats great Hinkel !!

I see you have failsafe - Is that activated by rth switch or something else in harakiri? I was thinking of putting failsafe / autopilot or some other test up as option exactly same as that when activate RTH!

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

shikra wrote:Thats great Hinkel !!

I see you have failsafe - Is that activated by rth switch or something else in harakiri? I was thinking of putting failsafe / autopilot or some other test up as option exactly same as that when activate RTH!

Hi Shikra !
Thanks for your great OSD !
The Failsafe in Harakiri from Crashpilot1000 is working fine . You have the choice ; failsafe doing autolanding in GPS PH, failsafe doing RTH and autolanding or failsafe with no GPS just autolanding .
I use Multiwiiconf 2.1 and just add a BOX failsafe in Harakiri . This box is set if you turn off the Transmitter ,
this give you the info in your OSD via Boxnames in OSD serial.
See here for more info !
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3524&start=340#p42621
This Failsafe Box is not implemented in official Harakiri !

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thanks Hinkel, I might have to give Harakiri a tryout. I have a naze sat here waiitng...

shikra

Post by shikra »

@ hfman & Subaru

from your comments earlier I have added an 8 point averaging ringfilter for analogue inputs and PWM RSSI. I am testing a optional second stage for extra smoothing. Once complete and had a test flight I'll put up on the repo.

But note about PWM rssi and 2.4ghz:

If you are using 2.4ghz - remember nearby router / PC / PDA running 2.4ghz may give spurious readings. I saw this whilst testing...
Some rx send out their RSSI raw - and as they hop between channels, the variation in channel strength may show as spurious readings.

strachg

Post by strachg »

Hi shikra just started using mw osd and I like it. Is there anyway to make the mag calibration counter longer than 10 seconds thanks.

Deet

Post by Deet »

The ten seconds is the delay until the mag_cal starts, you then have 30 seconds to do the mag_cal

I can't see why you would want it to be longer

scrat

Post by scrat »

FYI. FatShark PilotHD camera also doens't like MAX chip. I have white lines behind text with pilothd camera and when I've add throttle...text was flickering. Now I'm using pz0420H camera and everything is ok.

strachg

Post by strachg »

Deet wrote:The ten seconds is the delay until the mag_cal starts, you then have 30 seconds to do the mag_cal

I can't see why you would want it to be longer

Lol. Ah I see. I thought I only had 10 seconds to calibrate it. Thank you.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

shikra wrote:@ hfman & Subaru

from your comments earlier I have added an 8 point averaging ringfilter for analogue inputs and PWM RSSI. I am testing a optional second stage for extra smoothing. Once complete and had a test flight I'll put up on the repo.

If you are using 2.4ghz - remember nearby router / PC / PDA running 2.4ghz may give spurious readings. I saw this whilst testing...
Some rx send out their RSSI raw - and as they hop between channels, the variation in channel strength may show as spurious readings.

Thanks Shikra.

I am using 433mhz openLRSng. I have one DTFUHF receiver that does 0-3.3v analog RSSI. I have 3 HobbyKing Orange receivers with PWM RSSI out. So it will be fun testing to see if any improvements with the new code. I should do some PWM rssi tests using a servo to see what the output really looks like.

I noticed yesterday while trying to calibrate my RSSI using the analog receiver, that when turning off the Transmitter, the RSSI dropped very slowly from 100 to 0. By the time my 15 second timer ran out, the RSSI was only down to 35-40... but did not have enough time to make it to 0. Also while flying, the RSSI never dropped below 100%. Never even a 99% blip... just a solid 100% at all times. Which I find hard to believe since I had a crummy HobbyKing 433mhz monopole on the receiver.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hi scrat, it does indeed sound like a compatability issue, but I would have thought that fatshark would make it compatible with max based ezosd.

Do you have any spec / details of the analogue signals - like how many tvl ? I can't seem to find anything.

scrat wrote:FYI. FatShark PilotHD camera also doens't like MAX chip. I have white lines behind text with pilothd camera and when I've add throttle...text was flickering. Now I'm using pz0420H camera and everything is ok.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

Shikra-

I had the same behavior that Subaru4wd did with my Dragonlink RX regarding analog RSSI (Dragonlink goes from 0.75v to 3.5V). I don't know if it's the DragonLink RX or the MWOSD that is taking forever to show increase/decrease in RSSI (It takes over 30 seconds to raise from 0 to 100% after powering up.) I didn't realize it was doing this until I actually tried to calibrate my RSSI on the MWOSD. I finally had to use a Lab powersupply and get somewhat close to RSSI values based on voltage outputs published by DragonLink. I don't know if your 8 point averaging ringfilter will be better or worse than the existing behavior.

In addition, I am running 6S voltage in my Cinetank, and I am having a heck of a time calibrating my hardware Flytron 50A current sensor. I currently have the main divider level set at 1023, and still can't get the current correct- not sure what is going on here. I'm out of town, so I can't futz with it till I return at the end of the week.

subaru4wd wrote:
shikra wrote:@ hfman & Subaru

Thanks Shikra.

I am using 433mhz openLRSng. I have one DTFUHF receiver that does 0-3.3v analog RSSI. I have 3 HobbyKing Orange receivers with PWM RSSI out. So it will be fun testing to see if any improvements with the new code. I should do some PWM rssi tests using a servo to see what the output really looks like.

I noticed yesterday while trying to calibrate my RSSI using the analog receiver, that when turning off the Transmitter, the RSSI dropped very slowly from 100 to 0. By the time my 15 second timer ran out, the RSSI was only down to 35-40... but did not have enough time to make it to 0. Also while flying, the RSSI never dropped below 100%. Never even a 99% blip... just a solid 100% at all times. Which I find hard to believe since I had a crummy HobbyKing 433mhz monopole on the receiver.

scrat

Post by scrat »

shikra wrote:Hi scrat, it does indeed sound like a compatability issue, but I would have thought that fatshark would make it compatible with max based ezosd.

Do you have any spec / details of the analogue signals - like how many tvl ? I can't seem to find anything.

scrat wrote:FYI. FatShark PilotHD camera also doens't like MAX chip. I have white lines behind text with pilothd camera and when I've add throttle...text was flickering. Now I'm using pz0420H camera and everything is ok.

Unfortunately no. I didn't find any info about pilothd camera. :(

shikra

Post by shikra »

@hfman - yes - new filter will address the calibration issue. My error - hadn't considered fully impact of using that type of filter in all scenarios.
Currently testing some options to improve the standard filter.

We'll get you running on the current sensor. I'm more available from weds - send me a pm with your email when back see what can do

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

Great Shikra... thanks for all your help in getting this great OSD working even better.