MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
shikra

Re: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

Post by shikra »

You have are missing most of the files in the sketch

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

shikra wrote:Thanks for feedback so far. Have made teh following changes...

wow, you're fast !

i second the appreciation for all your (and all other contributor's) work, past and present :)

-=dave

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

1.2pre2 didn't work on my witespy board. Video comes up in the first few seconds, then screen goes blank except for small strip of the picture at the bottom of the screen. A less critical issue is that the GUI doesn't show any elements rendered in the simulator, instead replacing them with gray boxes.

Update: Went back to pre1 and now have same issue. I'll wipe it entirely and update here when I've figured it out.

Update2: EEPROM_Clear and going back to pre1 and have the same issue *sigh*

Stay tuned...

-=dave

petronioaznar

Post by petronioaznar »

Ok, finally figured out how to upload the 1.2 firmware properly! Now I have tried with thousandes of different settings in the config.h (using witespy board, without, with rushduino, without, using harakiri, etc) but I just dont get any OSD data at all! The video is going through the witespy board but there is no osd data reflected on it..Any idea?? thanks a lot

kopinke

Post by kopinke »

Hi shikra,

I've defined
#define BAUDRATE 57600 in config.h (MW OSD),

but when connecting via GUI_1.2 pre 2 I does not work - eg. settings could not be read/write.-
I took a look into source(MW OSD GUI) and the baudrate is hardcoded to the 115200.
I would be nice to fix this issue in the final 1.2 release, thx.

Just my 2 cents^^

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Guys, what is the ENTER/OK button in the OSD menu? For example when wanted to edit a PID value... ? what are the stick controls?

Many thanks,
B

Debogus

Post by Debogus »

disarmed
middle throtle , full right ,full down
IF you have dual rates on transmitter, switch to full rates

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Thanks, but I know how to reach the menu, just not clear how to navigate / edit the values there... ??

Cheerz,
B

shikra

Post by shikra »

@ Bulez: wiki will be updated for 1.2

To access the inbuilt OSD menu, with MultiWii DISARMED:
  • THROTTLE MIDDLE
  • YAW RIGHT
  • PITCH FULL

To navigate the OSD:
  • PITCH/ROLL sticks are used to navigate
  • YAW stick is used to adjust / change values
Note: keep throttle stick at middle

To exit without save - move throttle stick to minimum

shikra

Post by shikra »

@ kopinke - baud rate
yep - GUI needs to be done.
Not sure it will be for 1.2 as I'm working away in France and Portugal a lot in next couple of weeks. For moment suggest to do config @115k then re-upload at baud rate. I know its not ideal, but been waiting long enough to get time to finish 1.2
It will be done though :)

Have to ask - why the interest with baudrate lately. Its been fixed at 115k for long time. Has default changed on naze or something?

shikra

Post by shikra »

@petronioaznar

Most common cause for no OSD display:
Using PAL camera when OSD is set to NTSC. #1 !!!!
Not powering output stage of OSD correctly - 5v or 12v links (also get no image)
Vin / Vout cables swapped (also get no image)
Having the "blank screen" OSD layout set as option in GUI

shikra

Post by shikra »

@tungsten2k:

If getting grey boxes on the simulator try browse and selecting font. Sounds like it has lost knowledge of where the font file is. Its default.mcm in "data" folder.
Then re-upload font file to board and fingers crossed!

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

shikra wrote:@ Bulez: wiki will be updated for 1.2

To access the inbuilt OSD menu, with MultiWii DISARMED:
  • THROTTLE MIDDLE
  • YAW RIGHT
  • PITCH FULL

To navigate the OSD:
  • PITCH/ROLL sticks are used to navigate
  • YAW stick is used to adjust / change values
Note: keep throttle stick at middle

To exit without save - move throttle stick to minimum

Thanks you amigo! This menu is a godsend in the field! ;)

shikra

Post by shikra »

Agree! - I uploaded a new config late last night. Got to the field and no OSD.... I had forgotten to change to PAL.... would have been no flying without the menu.

Its awesome for tuning PIDS too

petronioaznar

Post by petronioaznar »

Holy crap, now I feel quite stupid...in 4yrs of FPV flying I never committed this mistake but now I did... needed it to be changed to PAL! :oops:

Muito obrigado shikra, I owe you a beer if you drop by in SPain!

Finally flying time! All is left is changing the font maybe..looks a bit small for my taste! Is there a repository where I can download thicker/bigger fonts?

shikra

Post by shikra »

No worries - not the first or last :)

ABL has produced a version with bigger fonts etc..
I have loaded and it works. He advises a few icons are still original size.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4865&start=300#p55552

petronioaznar

Post by petronioaznar »

Ohh I remember that post but didn't remember where I had seen it...dear dear..

Tx a lot, will give it a try!

Georges41

Post by Georges41 »

Hi All,
Please help me with my first steps in fpv-osd. I have a CRIUS AIO PRO 2560 board with MultiWii 2.3 and a MAVLinkOSD V 2.0. I see the images but nothing concerning the data from the FC board.
Which is the last version which I must download on the MAVLinkOSD board?
Which is the code on the FC which I must download on the FC?

Yours,
Georges

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

Hello Shikra,

I was discussing this on IRC with a few others and figured I would bring it up here.

The biggest PITA about using an OSD is the crosstalk on serial when you are trying to modify stuff on the FC.

The idea is a string could be sent over serial (or a character that is not used in MSP..) and it would execute Serial.end() which should shutdown the Atmega's serial ports and bring them to a floating state.

Then in the Baseflight configurator a checkbox would be added "Silence OSD" and upon connecting it would transmit the character/string discussed above which will allow you to make changes on the FC without having all the MSP transactions taking place. To exit this mode you could just powercycle and things would revert to normal operation.

I am also checking in to getting some code in baseflight with a simulated DTR/reset pin (using one of the worthless PWM input pins, 5/6) and some logic to fire it off so the Naze can be used to flash the OSD without having to unplug anything, can also be used for configuring.

shikra

Post by shikra »

If someone amends the baseflight / FC code with an MSP to disable OSD I'll add it in....

If no particular MSP in mind, Suggest MSP ID 220 with single byte of 0xFF. I'll use this as the suspend sub-command. If want can use 0xFE to re-enable.

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

shikra wrote:If someone amends the baseflight / FC code with an MSP to disable OSD I'll add it in....

If no particular MSP in mind, Suggest MSP ID 220 with single byte of 0xFF. I'll use this as the suspend sub-command. If want can use 0xFE to re-enable.

I spoke to cTn, he was down for adding this to the dev branch and a 'Silence OSD' checkbox used when connecting.

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

shikra wrote:If someone amends the baseflight / FC code with an MSP to disable OSD I'll add it in....

Sorry, I forgot to add, cTn requested that the MSP commands be ACK'd prior to disabling.

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

Is the current thinking that we resume OSD functionality with a power-cycle, or will the OSD continue to monitor the UART stream for it's "enable" bit, but otherwise just staying out of the way ?

-=dave

shikra

Post by shikra »

Reboot is less code!

Someone will have to do the FC code too

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

shikra wrote:Reboot is less code!

Someone will have to do the FC code too

Not a problem, I will get up with timecop tonight when he wakes back up.

shikra

Post by shikra »

What is the need exactly - I ask because I don't really have the need for this functionality and I'm programming and messing with OSD and FC all the time!

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

shikra wrote:What is the need exactly - I ask because I don't really have the need for this functionality and I'm programming and messing with OSD and FC all the time!

I can't answer for others, but due to the wiring, I physically have to remove the entire top half of my 250 quad whenever I need to connect to the FC with Configurator (same with MWOSD). It's quite a chore at the flying field. If we weren't constantly upgrading both sides of the equation, as well as ESCs/Motors/Props, it wouldn't be as much of an issue; the reality is that it's a constant tinkering game, so being able to do so without having to physically disconnect connections would be extremely useful.

One thing I would want is to go the other way as well: I want to be able to communicate with MWOSD over the UART without the FC getting in the way. It seems both Baseflight and MWOSD would need to honor some "disable yourself" bit in order to gain any real value from this feature. Otherwise, it's really only 1/2 of the equation. Given the small amount of data that's gets transferred over the UART, does it make any sense to just go full-on coordinated arbitration ? (I don't want this question to spur a complete feature creep situation though :) )

-=dave

timecop

Post by timecop »

works for me, someone submit a pull request to baseflight.

shikra

Post by shikra »

OK - as this is unfolding ...

whoever does the baseflight + configurator code suggest to ignore what I said above (use MSP ID 220 with single byte of 0xFF) and use proper MW MSP and is documented in the MWC code. Especially as now talking of disabling other devices via MSP

I am going to change from 220 to custom area in the proper 1.2 release of OSD
I guess 220 was picked some time ago for OSD/GUI comms, but looking at MW serial MSP there will likely be a conflict soon - so I'll move to prevent.

koss

Post by koss »

shikra wrote:OK - as this is unfolding ...

whoever does the baseflight + configurator code suggest to ignore what I said above (use MSP ID 220 with single byte of 0xFF) and use proper MW MSP and is documented in the MWC code. Especially as now talking of disabling other devices via MSP

Shikra, what changes to baseflight are you proposing? I believe in ReadError's scenario configurator would inject the MSP code for MWOSD to kill seriod IO and baseflight would not have to understand it?

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

I don't think he proposed any. I suggested the same be done in BF, however. TC appeared to say "sounds good, as long as someone else codes it". So it looks to me like everyone thinks is a great idea but no one has time time/capability to implement it. But maybe I misread something…

-=dave

SquidgyB

Post by SquidgyB »

Ok, sorry about this but reeeeaaaaally stupid question time.

Is it possible to integrate a simplified MultiWii FC onto the MinimOSD hardware, while maintaining some OSD functionality?

I'm thinking just a GY-85 sensor board, and a PPM rx, wired directly to pins on the Atmel 328p chip. OSD would consist mainly of the artificial horizon, and maybe a voltage/current sensor (if even that).

Do we have enough/the right free pins?

Can we strip the code down to a level we can fit both onto the flash?

Is there enough memory/processing power run an FC and simultaneously output to the MAX chip?

Do I have a clue what I'm talking about? (No.)

There are probably many good reasons this is impossible, but I think I found the right place to ask, at the very least...

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

Sure: anything's possible: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1641

Good luck !

-=dave

shikra

Post by shikra »

koss wrote:
shikra wrote:OK - as this is unfolding ...

Shikra, what changes to baseflight are you proposing? I believe in ReadError's scenario configurator would inject the MSP code for MWOSD to kill seriod IO and baseflight would not have to understand it?

The instruction would have to come from baseflight FC....
why?
if sharing same uart connection - tx-tx lines are tied - so OSD would not receive instruction from baseflight configurator on rx line
if using different uart ports for OSD and configurator, the FC would have to "passthrough"

shikra

Post by shikra »

SquidgyB wrote:Ok, sorry about this but reeeeaaaaally stupid question time.

Is it possible to integrate a simplified MultiWii FC onto the MinimOSD hardware, while maintaining some OSD functionality?

I'm thinking just a GY-85 sensor board, and a PPM rx, wired directly to pins on the Atmel 328p chip. OSD would consist mainly of the artificial horizon, and maybe a voltage/current sensor (if even that).

Do we have enough/the right free pins?

Can we strip the code down to a level we can fit both onto the flash?

Is there enough memory/processing power run an FC and simultaneously output to the MAX chip?

Do I have a clue what I'm talking about? (No.)

There are probably many good reasons this is impossible, but I think I found the right place to ask, at the very least...

Go with the suggestion above - its possible, but no plans and kinda re-inventing the wheel !!

eijo

Post by eijo »

Hi Shikra,

I've been running your MWOSD v1.1 since July with Multiwii 2.3.
Works great! Good work! 8-)

Now I like the features you describe for 1.2 but I don't want to mess with a lot of updates. Do you have a plan for when you plan to release 1.2?

Thank you for your effort!

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hello - probably 2 weeks.
Its delayed a little because the EOSBANDI GPS nav is now added in for MultiWii 2.4 release and I would like to add some support into MWOSD 1.2 if possible.
I have added some of the code - need to test fly.

eijo

Post by eijo »

Cool! 8-) I think I better wait for MW2.4 and MWOSD 1.2 then and update it all at the same time. :-)

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

@shikra

Any suggestions why the OSD quits after like 4 or 5 minutes?

No problemo on MW2.3.
But on MW2.3 Nav b7 it quits in flight; no data overlay anymore.

shikra

Post by shikra »

@hypermobile - no idea. I've had a look through it and the changes for it don't seem like they would cause any issues.

Just about to post a link to a version that supports the MultiWii shared for coming 2.4 - I don't know how similar it is to the navi load.
I will be trying it out with navi very soon so will let you know how I get on.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hi all - hopefully this is the final pre-release / test version for 1.2

Bugs raised and a couple of others fixed
Also has support for changes to MW 2.4 serial MSP
And in particular it has some support for the 2.4 waypoints - at the moment indicators only to show its in mission mode or landing mode. This is tested in simulator only. I'm hopeful it will work in real life :)

Also included is a HACKMAC compiled gui which I don't have capability to test.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... lE3VGdXa2M

edit:
It will clear previous saved settings
Ensure you choose correct pal/nstc for the cam or may get no video!
You will need to browse and upload new font file
Last edited by shikra on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaames74

Post by jaames74 »

shikra wrote:Hi all - hopefully this is the final pre-release / test version for 1.2
And in particular it has some support for the 2.4 waypoints - at the moment indicators only to show its in mission mode or landing mode. This is tested in simulator only. I'm hopeful it will work in real life :)

Hi shikra, thanks for your efforts!
is it possible to include an indicator for the current waypoint number??

shikra

Post by shikra »

Definitely not for 1.2

Maybe for 1.3 if plenty of resources are free. I did have a look and its OK to do, but ther eare a couple of downsides - slowing down the rest of the data coming over serial + memory it would use.

I'm not sure how popular the need will be. Will be interesting to see feedback.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Just to add...

For anyone daring to try the 1.2 pre release :)

It will clear previous saved settings
Ensure you choose correct pal/nstc for the cam or may get no video!
You will need to browse and upload new font file

Just uploaded the latest dev with a mission planned. Fingers crossed...

Debogus

Post by Debogus »

shikra
Is there another 1.2 pre release ? I put that one from last week in that wasnt zipped.....Seems to be working OK..... with Baseflight and a minim osd board. and using the gui from that file..
Wish your gui allowed the easier movement of data on the screen like UOSD or Minim extra to get important stuff more towards the center field of view.....

shikra

Post by shikra »

Yep - another one !

Changes as follow.... if of interest.

+ OSD - Initial support for MultiWii 2.4 waypoint navigation MISSION / LAND
status
+ GUI - Added background skin to bling up the look
+ GUI - Initial support for MultiWii 2.4 waypoint navigation MISSION / LAND#status and sim switch
+ config.h added option to enable display of I2C errors
Bugfix: removed option to exit OSD menu with low throttle. Conflicts with RSSI
Bugfix: Mapmode final fixes and test flown

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

shikra wrote:Bugfix: removed option to exit OSD menu with low throttle. Conflicts with RSSI

THANK YOU!!! :)

shikra

Post by shikra »

@ Subaru - no probs - although double check your failsafe works as expected. If you get zero throttle in failsafe as indicated by RSSI test - it might not end well :)

@Debogus - I hope someone else with java / processing skills picks that one up (customisable layout). The OSD and base GUI is ready for it. Note there are now 8 presets to choose from.

@ Jaames74 - I had my first test flight with new Navigation / Waypoints. It worked!!! Following that I have amended the code and fonts to display as per the picture. Flashing "MISSION" and static WPT indicator with number. Need to test that bit out in a real flight. It seems to work on the simulator

shikra

Post by shikra »

This is how waypoint / mission mode will look. From about 15 secs in...:

@ Jaames74 - does that look the sort of thing??
Note that the waypoint number is actually "step" number as far as i can tell. I need to understand the whole navigation stuff a bit more - its not my thing really as I normally just fly acro FPV so not 100% sure what info can get easily from the controller.

jaames74

Post by jaames74 »

shikra wrote:This is how waypoint / mission mode will look. From about 15 secs in...:

@ Jaames74 - does that look the sort of thing??
Note that the waypoint number is actually "step" number as far as i can tell. I need to understand the whole navigation stuff a bit more - its not my thing really as I normally just fly acro FPV so not 100% sure what info can get easily from the controller.

wtf?? :shock: WOW!!
i think i love you!! :lol: