MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

[duplicate post]
Last edited by tungsten2k on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

tungsten2k

Re: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

Post by tungsten2k »

shikra wrote:@ tungsten - have you enabled #define BASEFLIGHT in config.h ? :)

That was it.

Code: Select all

14 /********************       CONTROLLER settings      *********************/
15 //#define BASEFLIGHT                // Undefine this if you are using BASEFLIGHT / others to correct for incorrect heading

Sorry for the noob question.

-=dave

shikra

Post by shikra »

@ ReadError -

It's done in dev along with increase to support over 100A , but I haven't completed current changes to the dev as also in the middle of transferring all the layout config to the GUI - so can have lots of layouts to choose from - or custom in the future.
Probably be a couple of weeks as from tomorrow for 10 days I will be in a restricted internet access zone.

@Tungsten - thats great! thanks for feedback

moshen

Post by moshen »

Hi Shikra, I'm looking at the virtual amp code and am curious on the principles you used to come up with this formula:

amperage = (Vthrottle+(Vthrottle*Vthrottle*0.02))*S16_AMPMAX*0.01;

I'm trying to understand how you came up with that in hopes of tweaking it to be better for myself (and perhaps others).

shikra

Post by shikra »

Plotting power curves for a number of motors + some from the web and then trying to come up with a formula that averaged in the middle of the curves. This was it !

moshen

Post by moshen »

shikra wrote:Plotting power curves for a number of motors + some from the web and then trying to come up with a formula that averaged in the middle of the curves. This was it !

Interesting. Ok, that makes more sense. I plotted it with a few input values and couldn't really figure it out because it certainly isn't linear - and the equation doesn't make much sense, but I see you basically messed around till you got it to match the curves. In any case I got it accurate enough for my mini quad for it to be useful so nice work ;) Only request is have a mAH alarm like voltage alarm..

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

Only request is have a mAH alarm like voltage alarm..

That would be a nice feature.

Otherwise - good job. I'm using this OSD firmware and it seems to be working great :)

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

One small bug to report: When putting the GPS coordinates at the top, they're cut off (PAL mode), you just barely see the bottom lines of the text. When setting them to bottom, the callsign is in the same line and is being overlapped by the coordinates.

visper

Post by visper »

Yes, I have the same problem.

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Guys, Just flashed the latest version of the MWOSD to my MinimOSD. All seem to be fine, I could configure it in the GUI, BASEFLIGHT enabled in the config.h, I have image through the camera, BUT I have only a DISARMED message (even if I arm), a C 0% blinking in the left bottom corner and a timer running in the bottom right.

How can I get the other indicators to the display?

Many thanks,
B

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

I had that too, but the other way around, when I didn't erase the eeprom before going to a different software. Run the eeprom clear sketch, then flash the software, then upload the font files.

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have uploaded the font, and I have got quite similar to the bottom gray image:
https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-deve ... stallation

So left bottom corner the 0V etc battery stuff, ACRO in the top left, and timer in the bottom right.

So I have to do the EPROM clear and repeat the flash+font upload?

Many thanks,
B

############
EDIT:
I have done the eprom clear, and it is the same....no horizon, no compass, etc...only the DISARMED message and ACRO in the top left, timer in the bottom right, and 0A in the bottom left... :(

Like this:

#############
EDIT 2:

OK, I have done some debugging...added OSD switch - nada
unplugged the TX/RX pin, so the OSD only gets power from the Naze32 - same

So It seems the OSD and the Naze32 are not communicating at all... :?: I have connected the OSD RX to the FC TX, and the TX to the RX (as in the manual said)... :(

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Guys, I have figured out! I had to change the serialbaudrate to 57600, and THAT was the problem! I changed back to 115200 and all set! ;)

shikra

Post by shikra »

@bulez
glad you figured it out and thanks for letting us know the cause.

shikra

Post by shikra »

@arakon/visper

for GPS co-ords cut off at the top of the screen - this is a common issue with monitors not displaying the full screen. I have same issue with my groundstration screen - but the image is perfect in my goggles.
you can try #define shiftdown in config.h for this...

For GPS co-ords overlapping with callsign when in middle I'll take a look at for next release. Probably better to have it in the armed / disarmed section

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

I'm considering running MWOSD off a softserial connection to the Flip32 (available in Cleanflight to a minimum of 9600, and currently up to a maximum of 19200, but I'm unsure of how stable the 19200 rate might be).

How greatly could this hamper the performance of MWOSD ? 9600, while quite slow from a data transfer perspective, is quite a lot of bandwidth with respect to control bits. How much actual data is being transferred over the serial port for the mavlink/osd data coming from Baseflight ?

The greatest impact I would imagine might be to the virtual amp gauge, but I've not tested it. If anyone has tested OSD at 9600, please chime in.

Thanks !

-=dave

shikra

Post by shikra »

@tungsten:

I guess its 10* slower - still perfectly usable. The attitude horizon might be a bit slow

Could try removing some of the data requests in void setMspRequests() {
REQ_MSP_RAW_GPS| //remove if not using gps
REQ_MSP_COMP_GPS| //remove if not using gps
REQ_MSP_ATTITUDE| //remove if not using horizon bar
REQ_MSP_ALTITUDE; //remove if not using baro
REQ_MSP_ANALOG; //remove if not using volts, current or RSSI on the multiwii controller

shikra

Post by shikra »

For those with FRSKY PWM issues....

I purchased a FRSKY X8R to find out why the FASTPWMRSSI option was not working for you. I didn't put on a scope, but from the data read - its not a PWM signal coming out of the RX.... appears to be a regular pulse with a blip of data every second or so.
This means:
Its unlikely that will be able to support unless someone reverse engineers - or FRSKY release info
It also means an analogue filter will not work either.

On a positive - the FASTPWMRSSI is working - so it may be of value in the future should anyone have a rx that gives out high refresh rate PWM - like openUHF

sky.fox

Post by sky.fox »

Thanks for your work, shikra !

i use it with Naze32/Baseflight with UBLOX GPS and MinimOSD Hardware, works great !

only the ARMED/DISARMED display is not working - even with BASEFLIGHT definition compiled - so i removed_it /comment_out for now

Nemesis
Nemesis

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thats brill - not just me - all the other devs - itain, kv, ross etc. over many years...!

No idea on the armed / disarmed issue. I don't think I have seen that before... everything else work OK? kinda surprised at that.
I also run baseflight on a mini HK250 - It's cheap fun but I'm ready to upgrade to something better. Really want one of these as I have a couple of their copters for over 2 years now and they are pretty awesome.....

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

woo nice lil bug... ;) with the new Cobra 2208 2000kv motors + 6X45 props it will be a truly lethal one.. ;)

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

sky.fox wrote:Thanks for your work, shikra !

i use it with Naze32/Baseflight with UBLOX GPS and MinimOSD Hardware, works great !

only the ARMED/DISARMED display is not working - even with BASEFLIGHT definition compiled - so i removed_it /comment_out for now

make sure you have Telemetry disabled in Baseflight, then the armed/disarmed should work.

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

shikra wrote:@tungsten:

I guess its 10* slower - still perfectly usable. The attitude horizon might be a bit slow

Could try removing some of the data requests in void setMspRequests() {
REQ_MSP_RAW_GPS| //remove if not using gps
REQ_MSP_COMP_GPS| //remove if not using gps
REQ_MSP_ATTITUDE| //remove if not using horizon bar
REQ_MSP_ALTITUDE; //remove if not using baro
REQ_MSP_ANALOG; //remove if not using volts, current or RSSI on the multiwii controller

Perfect, thanks !

-=dave

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hello - hoping to release beta for next release in a week or so.

This version will have various HUD layouts so you get to choose which one you want as default and which one for OSDSW. If anyone has set up their own layouts, send me a pm with details or a pic and I'll see if can include.

Its also set up ready for a drag/drop setup layout setup on GUI in future if anyone is interested in doing some some java / processing coding :)

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

Hi,

I just installed my second MWOSD (kv from witespy hardware) on a 1s copter. I'm trying to read the voltage with the osd bat2 port (because bat1 is video for some reason :P) and it's giving me 1.9 volts. I left everything default on the voltage tab except for testing between 3 cells and 1 cell. They both read 1.9.

Any ideas?

Thanks

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

elmtree wrote:Hi,

I just installed my second MWOSD (kv from witespy hardware) on a 1s copter. I'm trying to read the voltage with the osd bat2 port (because bat1 is video for some reason :P) and it's giving me 1.9 volts. I left everything default on the voltage tab except for testing between 3 cells and 1 cell. They both read 1.9.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4865&p=51769&hilit=witespy#p51769

shadowjig

Post by shadowjig »

shikra wrote:For those with FRSKY PWM issues....

I purchased a FRSKY X8R to find out why the FASTPWMRSSI option was not working for you. I didn't put on a scope, but from the data read - its not a PWM signal coming out of the RX.... appears to be a regular pulse with a blip of data every second or so.
This means:
Its unlikely that will be able to support unless someone reverse engineers - or FRSKY release info
It also means an analogue filter will not work either.

On a positive - the FASTPWMRSSI is working - so it may be of value in the future should anyone have a rx that gives out high refresh rate PWM - like openUHF

Why do you say the an analog filter will not work? Everything I've read about the PWM RSSI signal is that it fluctuates and you can smooth it out with a low pass filter.

shikra

Post by shikra »

One teh version I tested its not a PWM signal.
Appears to be a fixed series of pulses (a sync?) then a burst of data.
- therefore a PWM filter designed to average the voltage isn't going to work.

I also had feedback from someone who confirms it looks like that on a scope.
What is odd - some older FRSKY do have PWM RSSI whereas others seem to have something different.

I wonder if FRSKY are working towards producing their own interface or if its canbus. their own OSD? I asked them about it but no reply....

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

subaru4wd wrote:
elmtree wrote:Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4865&p=51769&hilit=witespy#p51769

I tried that and the ratio gave me 6.2 volts on its default setting after I flashed it. I put the ratio at 100 and it gives me 3.1 when my bat is at 3.9. How does that factor into what the ratio should be (I'm unsure what the actual number represents...)

EDIT: So I was looking at the code and I see this:
voltage = float(voltageRaw) * Settings[S_DIVIDERRATIO] * (DIVIDER1v1);
and
voltage = float(voltageRaw) * Settings[S_DIVIDERRATIO] * (DIVIDER5v);

I think it's going to divider1v1 and with the special witespy firmware this is .0002.

Divider ratio was set at 100 so we .02 * the raw voltage.

because the divider is 22000ohm and 1500ohm it outputs a voltage of .249 from my bat voltage of 3.9.

So is raw voltage stored as a decimal (.249) or a whole number (249) or something else?

Same question for the final voltage variable. That should help me calculate what I need I guess

EDIT #2:

Well I think I figured it out, but it also makes me question why the witespy OSD needs a special number.

I realized that I had the 5v adc ref turned on, redid my calculations and found that the default settings from the normal firmware should have worked, my eeprom just must not have been cleared before updating... My bad!

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hi the second batch of witespy OSD appears to use different resistors as well as having the batt pins swapped. That's why different values needed. Oops ;)

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

Hi Shikra,

Currently building up my new Carbon Folding Quad.
MW 2.3 With Fpv Cam and MinimOSD and Your Firmware R1.1

All working well!!, But only when using only output of the OSD. (no Camera attached). So Black Background.

When i Hook up my cam,
On 'NTSC' No Overlay. So i guess my cam is 'PAL'.
Changing to 'PAL'>> There is some overlay. But that is not working as should.

Horizon isn't moving etc everything is Frozen. Unplug the Camera>>>and it's Moving again as should.
So when the MinimOSD get's some Video....Overlays isn't functioning as should.

Any Suggestions??

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

To make it a bit more Weird....

my GoPro DOES overlay as should, in PAL & NTSC mode (OSD was in PAL).
No problem at all..

so Why does my FPV-camera Freezes the Overlay??

i don't get it :/

deleted

Post by deleted »

I have flashed to this firmware from KVOSD and I love it!

Quick question relating to configuring the RSSI though. In the OSD menu what is the procedure for setting the min and max RSSI? I don't get the ADC RSSI values in the OSD only the %.
Correct me if I am wrong but to set max RSSI value I use the yaw to the right when the tx is powered and it sets a value. For RSSI min is it the same procedure with the TX off or does it do a 15 second countdown like the KVOSD? Also what does the "Set RSSI" setting do?

Thanks for your efforts!

shikra

Post by shikra »

@hypermobile - which camera has the issues? Many reports of issues with all max based osds and >650 tvl . Especially sony effio, but its not all. I have no idea how to fix that. My guess is its not possible on osd.

shikra

Post by shikra »

@ dleted - have you tried the wiki -

Calibration - RSSI
If using analogue RSSI on the OSD select "Enable ADC 5v ref"
If "Enable ADC 5v ref" is changed, save and restart the OSD

Via OSD menu
With TX approx 2-3 m from the RX, select calibrate RSSI from OSD menu
When timer reaches 10, turn the tx off and wait until the timer finishes counting down before turning back on
Save settings
Minor adjustments can be made on the GUI if necessary

Via GUI
Set RSSI min to zero and RSSI max to 255 and write
With TX off, increase RSSI min and write. Repeat until OSD reads 0% consistently
With TX on, decrease RSSI max and write. Repeat until OSD reads 100% consistently

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

shikra wrote:@hypermobile - which camera has the issues? Many reports of issues with all max based osds and >650 tvl . Especially sony effio, but its not all. I have no idea how to fix that. My guess is its not possible on osd.

It's an old camera so i don't know how many TV lines it has unfortunately

ordered this one new http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-700TVL-Sony-CCD-2-1mm-Wide-Angle-Lens-Mini-CCTV-Security-FPV-Camera-OSD-D-WDR-/171120513259?

deleted

Post by deleted »

shikra wrote:@ dleted - have you tried the wiki -

Calibration - RSSI
If using analogue RSSI on the OSD select "Enable ADC 5v ref"
If "Enable ADC 5v ref" is changed, save and restart the OSD

Via OSD menu
With TX approx 2-3 m from the RX, select calibrate RSSI from OSD menu
When timer reaches 10, turn the tx off and wait until the timer finishes counting down before turning back on
Save settings
Minor adjustments can be made on the GUI if necessary

Via GUI
Set RSSI min to zero and RSSI max to 255 and write
With TX off, increase RSSI min and write. Repeat until OSD reads 0% consistently
With TX on, decrease RSSI max and write. Repeat until OSD reads 100% consistently

Yes - I found it - apologies.

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

shikra wrote:@hypermobile - which camera has the issues? Many reports of issues with all max based osds and >650 tvl . Especially sony effio, but its not all. I have no idea how to fix that. My guess is its not possible on osd.

Hi Shikra, By accident i discovered the Problem...:geek:

It turned out that...My Camera (with removed Backplate) was too close located by the OSD (next to each other).....
After repositioning the Camera....the OSD does it's work as should.

Is that CCD noise? or something.
Also heared that GoPro Camera's Image Sensor can influence your GPS reception.

shikra

Post by shikra »

@deleted - thanks for the feedback. Is the wiki ok - it's kinda straight and too the point :)

@hypermobil. Wow -never expected that. They certainly mess with my rx and I would never rule anything out, but interesting to know that for any future troubleshooting. Thanks for letting us know

Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

shikra wrote:@deleted - thanks for the feedback. Is the wiki ok - it's kinda straight and too the point :)

@hypermobil. Wow -never expected that. They certainly mess with my rx and I would never rule anything out, but interesting to know that for any future troubleshooting. Thanks for letting us know

anytime, Hopefully my new already ordered FPV has way better Dynamic range as my 8 year old cam :-)

EDIT: Camera is now back in the same Place; But WITH metal backplate...some Faraday's cage..wich Messed up a lot.

(also need to Reset after startup...Is there some StartupDelay configurable??)

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hypermobile wrote:(also need to Reset after startup...Is there some StartupDelay configurable??)

I added into next release as numerous reports of boards having issues with max chip not getting 5v and starting up quick enough

for now:

add this:
delay(1500);

after this in mwosd.ino:
void setup()
{

bajacondor

Post by bajacondor »

I'm trying to run MWOSD at 19200 baud from a flip32 serial port. You would think that #define SERIAL_SPEED 19200 would do that, but after compiling like that, it just keeps on at 115200. In fact, in the code, I find nowhere that the SERIAL_SPEED define is even used.

Anyone offer any insight?

Thank you.

bajacondor

Post by bajacondor »

Ok, I figured it out.
115200 is hardcoded in MW_OSD.ino ~line 49. I changed that and two lines below and it works at 19200. Great!

Now the problem is that, to configure it in the GUI, I'll need to build the GUI to talk to the OSD at 19200. I've got the source, and I've installed Eclipse and JRE, but I'm not sure how to open and build a java project. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to build MW_OSD_GUI?

Thank you.

disq

Post by disq »

bajacondor wrote:Ok, I figured it out.
Now the problem is that, to configure it in the GUI, I'll need to build the GUI to talk to the OSD at 19200. I've got the source, and I've installed Eclipse and JRE, but I'm not sure how to open and build a java project. Can anyone point me in the direction of how to build MW_OSD_GUI?

It's a Processing project, so install Processing, open and build. Not much different than the Arduino GUI.

Georges41

Post by Georges41 »

Hi All,
Please help me to start with my MAVLink-OSD board. Which are the options to take in the config.h in order to work with a FAT SHARK system. The power supply is obviously different for the TX+ CAMERA. I would like to test the R1.1 version with the GUI Simulator.
Yours, Georges

PeterWeb

Post by PeterWeb »

Hi Shikra,
Thanks for your excellent efforts, the OSD is working very well indeed on my Scarab Reconn. Two quick questions if I may, to clarify bits of the documentation that I currently don't fully understand:

1. I currently have analog RSSI (via a filter/divider) working just fine into a Paris 5r3 from a Frsky D8R XP - sticking with default reference voltage of 1.1v as the divider pulls the signal down to that level. But the mention in this thread of direct-PWM input suggests that I should be able to omit the filter/divider and just connect the RSSI PWM line directly to the Paris RSSI pin. Is that correct? I didn't want to just try it because of the various admonitions about limiting the input to 1.1v. Might I need to enable FASTPWMRSSI also? Since the analogue is working, I at least know it doesn't have the incompatibility issue of the X8R.

2. Regarding display of cell voltages from a Frsky FLVSS, the excellent writeup on https://code.google.com/p/scarab-osd/wiki/Frsky_SPort discusses connecting to Serial 0 or 1 on the Paris board, and has a photo showing the inverted SPort connected to the Paris pin 19, which the caption suggests is "Serial 1". Unfortunately, I have to use that pin for CPPM input and I don't know where the other serial port connections map to on the Paris (either I'm blind, OR I'm misunderstanding the Paris wiki where it talks about serial ports for GPS and BT etc and nothing else, OR the Paris docs are just a tad limited). Are you able to enlighten me a bit please?

Thanks!

ervinelin

Post by ervinelin »

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the work, so far the OSD has been working fine. Today I tried to add a GPS module to my Naze32 board and could not get any GPS information at all.

In baseflight I've set feature GPS to enabled, gps type to 1 (uBlox) and gps_baud to 0 (115k). I'm using the witespy $18 ublox GPS module.

I have also enabled #define SERIAL_SPEED 115200 in config.h and of course enabled GPS in the GUI.

The GPS module fires up (only red LED) but nothing else when put beside window. I am assuming that might be because I was indoors next to a window. But in my monitor display there isn't even the satellite logo indicating 0 sats, is this expected until I get some kind of signal?

Please advise, thanks!
Ervine

shikra

Post by shikra »

@georges41 - normally no changes are required.

@peterweb -
for rssi - sounds like direct will work - you will need to remove the filter first. I'd suggest leaving if it works! no idea if that model needs fastpwm.
for serial - need patched MW2.3 and it can connect to any unused serial as defined in this example #define SPORT_SERIAL 1 (I'm sure it says on the paris board which on is which). Its a cool board - I'm running it on 2 of mine. I'm mainly uhf so not a frsky cell user yet. I would have died for that feature today with a suspect dead cell when flying.

@ervinelin
It will only display if it sees a GPS fix - as defined by the multiwii controller - whatever that uses. My guess would be less than 3 sats = no display

Georges41

Post by Georges41 »

Hi shikra,

You said normally no changes are required. Do you think that, NORMALLY, it is possible to have the screen on my Goggles by using only the FAT SHARK+CAM and the Simulator of the KV_Team_GUI? I have any image and maybe I missed something at the level of config.h file?
Please send me a model of the config.h file to try on my board. If I am trying to use the MW_OSD R1.1 system which are the options to uncomment in the config.h?

Yours,
Georges

visper

Post by visper »

After an automatic update Java to version 1.8 does not work MWOSD GUI.