PPM passthru for sending nav to other FC?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
csurf

PPM passthru for sending nav to other FC?

Post by csurf »

Id like to try an experiment where I place an arduino nano w/multiwii + sensors (mag, baro, gps, gyro&accel) between my Rx and another FC (KK2.0). The reason for this is that I want to keep the KK2's flight characteristics but Id like to use the MW as a 'nav computer' for failsafe/RTH. So, my idea is to have the MW passthru an incoming PPM signal until the rx goes into failsafe, and then the MW would start outputting a PPM signal with nav control commands for doing RTH. So, instead of PWM output for the motors, Id just need the calculated AIL/ELE/THR/RUD values to be repackaged into a PPM signal.

Would it be possible to set this up? if so, can someone please help me figure out what would need to be done in order to get it to work? thanks...

Geebles

Re: PPM passthru for sending nav to other FC?

Post by Geebles »

What flight characteristics do you like about the KK2? I've used both and the multiwii is far far more responsive so rather than hacking together something like that, could you not tune/check how the multiwii flies to get it more like the KK?
Also the current code doesn't do that (nor will it ever) so you'll need to get your hands very dirty in coding! :D good luck, post the results when you've completed it

timecop

Post by timecop »

Just buy DJI NAZA LITE V2 RTH w/GPS and you're good to go.
MW as a "Nav" computer? bwahahahahahhaahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaahahahhahaha.

csurf

Post by csurf »

Geebles wrote:What flight characteristics do you like about the KK2? I've used both and the multiwii is far far more responsive so rather than hacking together something like that, could you not tune/check how the multiwii flies to get it more like the KK?
Also the current code doesn't do that (nor will it ever) so you'll need to get your hands very dirty in coding! :D good luck, post the results when you've completed it

KK2 is just a better flight experience...handles vibration better, easier to tune, and I simply like the way it is setup better. I've spent days trying to tune the MW and still can't get it right. With the KK2 I could have it ready in minutes. I simply need to have the MW to 'steer it home.' I'm not here to hate on MW, but I simply can't get it right so I need to fix it somehow.

I don't. mind coding as long as I could get some help and advice on how to best set this up, where in the code I would have to make big changes.

I don't understand timecop's attitude since it doesn't sound that crazy or stupid.
I guess there are naza trolls on this forum. btw, this is for a tricopter which the naza doesn't even support, so you can go tell your boss at dji that his product still falls short.

Geebles

Post by Geebles »

There are probably very few naza trolls here because its a specific MultiWii forum (not a generic multicopter forum).

You'd need to make lots of changes everywhere to turn it into a flight computer.. multiwii is easy to tune in my opinion, it sounds like either your props are causing a lot of vibrations or you need to review how everything is mounted. If you remove vibrations then it will work like a dream, on mine I can change all PIDs wildly low or high and all it does is affect the responsiveness of the copter, it is flyable at no matter what PID values I set it to, meaning it takes very little time to get it flying how I like..

It sounds like youre trying to make a really complicated system for something that can be done very simply (just use the MultiWii). You will either have to accept that the KK2 was not designed like this (nor multiwii) and suck it up and use a better flight controller :D if you want GPS and RTH, you'll ideally want a multiwii based on the MEGA chip (less hassle of using the i2c gps module thing)

csurf

Post by csurf »

Thanks for the feedback, but I'd still like to move forward with my (crazy) idea... Perhaps, if anything, it will help me learn to code for MW. I'd really appreciate some constructive, more specific advice on how I'd have to set this up within the code.

My plan is to add a new define (ex #define NAV_PASSTHRU) and then have a bunch of ifdef's that will disable/bypass the actual output routines and simply output the final mixed outputs via PPM. I've been looking at the code, and I can more/less see what I'd need to do in order to disable PWM motor output by disabling the motorwrite* functions .I believe that I'll need to setup the PPM output via the 'writeServos()' function, correct or incorrect? Also, I'm not clear on what would be the best pin choice on the arduino for generating the combined PPM output signal.

Can someone please provide some tips/guidance on these specific items?

timecop

Post by timecop »

On STM32 you could easily setup PPM output by creating a DMA buffer with pulse widths and set it up to continuously output in a loop, essentially letting hardware do all your PPM framing. On tarduino... No clue. I don't think you'll be able to use writeservo, you will need something to time each PPM frame.

csurf

Post by csurf »

update for anyone interested...

I successfully managed to get passthru CPPM output to work.
I was able to fly my quad by having the MW pass the PPM sum input signal from the Rx through to the KK2 via another PPM sum output signal. Now, I'll just need to work on configuring the rest of the code to trigger & configure channel outputs for RTH. But it appears that I've got the most difficult part done...so far so good...