Recovery after a propeller loss

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Hasi

Recovery after a propeller loss

Post by Hasi »

I have seen this article about a quad being able to land safely with a propeller loss: http://www.suasnews.com/2013/12/26266/e ... ller-loss/
I am no code artist, but is there a chance, that this will be implemented in Multiwii?

tovrin

Re: Recovery after a propeller loss

Post by tovrin »

haha, i just posted this in ideas.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

I have serious doubts about it. ETH guys are geniuses but their setup always includes a very expensive motion capture setup with off-board processing.
On the demo you can clearly see the MoCap reference balls on the copter.

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

It should be possible to build a "rotocopter". That is a 3 or 2 motor rig with no yaw stability and all motors turning in one direction, it will always rotate. Motor commands are cyclic, like the heli swashplate. Means depending on where the motor is along its path it acts as pitch or roll motor. Efficiency should be greater than normal quad or tri since diskload is way lower (more disk area but less motors).

If i wasnt such a lazy ass i would try it. The magless HH / HF patch i did post earlier would calculate the direction and indicate front / rear trough some led. Obviously the ACC should be mounted in the rotation center. Then some coordinate rotation magic ...

Hasi

Post by Hasi »

Well it is theoretically possible with a 9dof sensor, or also maybe without a compass if the yaw is calculated from the gyro. The goal is not to control the copter, but to safely (auto)land it with the loss of yaw control.