GPS NAV

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download

Re: GPS NAV

Postby brewski » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:07 pm

jmfixitman wrote:Thank you! You were right, that fixed the connection speed issue and it connects to the GUI perfectly! I still cant get it to arm though? Even if I use an aux switch, very odd? Any other ideas?

Check your min throttle setting as well as TX min-mid-max. Get as close to 0-1500-2000 as you can for all functions & aux switch settings.
brewski
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Cleveland Qld Australia

Re: GPS NAV

Postby jmfixitman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Awesome thanks again! It is arming and I even figured out how to disable the motors idling when armed. I have it uploaded and working great.
jmfixitman
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:13 am

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Deet » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:04 am

Sorry if this has been covered

I have tried to instal WinGui on a MAC using Parallels and windows XP, but it just won't run

Has anyone had any success? Is it XP that might be the issue?
Deet
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:54 am

Re: GPS NAV

Postby axskin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Hello people, i am with an issue that i can't explain, my hexa, with multiwii pro board + mtk gps + external mag are function as expected on a big hexacopter, all sensors are functions relatively good, mag + baro (inc.), i had defined the mag declination, when i switch to position hold mode (angle + baro + mag) the hexacopter tends to position hold, but do a little oscilation on roll and pitch, like the P as high, i had tried a lot of PID tunes without sucess, anyone had experienced the same thing? What i should try more?
axskin
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby rubadub » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:01 pm

need advice... what's the best way code-wise to adjust the code in order to initiate LAND during GPSHOME or GPSHOLD *if* there's no GPS fix and/or if GPS fix was lost when running either HOME or HOLD?

It looks like the LAND routines are embedded into the GPS code, so it's going to take some work. This is why I'm looking for advice on how to best do it. I don't care if it's a 'blind landing' without GPS position information; I just would like a 'controlled descent' as an emergency landing option.
rubadub
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:36 am

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Hello,

I have a question to the log parameters course (from GPS) and head (from MAG).
The first waypoint is in South-West, The number of satellites was 7 while the mission.
MultiWii_Mission_Ickstadt_2014-12-09_center.jpg
Mission, planned waypoints


The flown course is extracted from the EZ-GUI log file, converted to a .kmz file and imported to Google Earth:
Mission_2014-12-09-15-53_Ickstadt_GoogleEarth_center.jpg
Google Earth, mission flown course


Please see the diagram below.
MultiWii_pre2.4r1729_mission_SAT7.png
Spreadsheet diagram, mission course and head data


While the course is defined 0 to 360 degree (0 = North), the head is defined +/- 180 degree (0° = North. +90° = WEST).
The MultiWii parameter #define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING is 1, source code comment in config.h:
Code: Select all
    // copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it

The MAG was activated while the mission.

So, I understand that the heading should follow the mission course, which I can not see in the diagram.

I would appreciate, if an expert could please explain, what is going on.

More data can be found on http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/QuadrocopterFrameEPP#Mission_control

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby brewski » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:22 pm

rubadub wrote:need advice... what's the best way code-wise to adjust the code in order to initiate LAND during GPSHOME or GPSHOLD *if* there's no GPS fix and/or if GPS fix was lost when running either HOME or HOLD?

It looks like the LAND routines are embedded into the GPS code, so it's going to take some work. This is why I'm looking for advice on how to best do it. I don't care if it's a 'blind landing' without GPS position information; I just would like a 'controlled descent' as an emergency landing option.

It would also be a great feature if Land could be initiated when second level low battery voltage warning was detected.
brewski
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Cleveland Qld Australia

Re: GPS NAV

Postby ezio » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:24 am

Rudi48 wrote:Hello,

I have a question to the log parameters course (from GPS) and head (from MAG).
The first waypoint is in South-West, The number of satellites was 7 while the mission.
The attachment MultiWii_Mission_Ickstadt_2014-12-09_center.jpg is no longer available


The flown course is extracted from the EZ-GUI log file, converted to a .kmz file and imported to Google Earth:
The attachment Mission_2014-12-09-15-53_Ickstadt_GoogleEarth_center.jpg is no longer available


Please see the diagram below.
The attachment MultiWii_pre2.4r1729_mission_SAT7.png is no longer available


While the course is defined 0 to 360 degree (0 = North), the head is defined +/- 180 degree (0° = North. +90° = WEST).
The MultiWii parameter #define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING is 1, source code comment in config.h:
Code: Select all
    // copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it

The MAG was activated while the mission.

So, I understand that the heading should follow the mission course, which I can not see in the diagram.

I would appreciate, if an expert could please explain, what is going on.

More data can be found on http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/QuadrocopterFrameEPP#Mission_control

Regards, Rudolf


I have checked it on my log and it behaves correctly:
Capture.PNG
User avatar
ezio
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: Paris

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Hello Ezio,

Thank you very much, taking care about my question.
Today I have investigated another flight, with the same mission.
The mission waypoints:
MultiWii_Mission_Ickstadt_2014-12-09_center.jpg

The flown course (Google Earth):
Mission_201412091559_GoogleEarth.jpg


Spreadsheet diagram of GPS course, MAG -head+180, BARO attitude:
MultiWii_pre2.4r1729_mission_SAT7_-head+180.png


With the raw head value (+/- 180 degree) modified counter clockwise to 360 degree, I see now somewhat parallel curves.
But for me it is still difficult to understand.

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby ezio » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Rudi48 wrote:Hello Ezio,

Thank you very much, taking care about my question.
Today I have investigated another flight, with the same mission.
The mission waypoints:
MultiWii_Mission_Ickstadt_2014-12-09_center.jpg

The flown course (Google Earth):
Mission_201412091559_GoogleEarth.jpg


Spreadsheet diagram of GPS course, MAG -head+180, BARO attitude:
MultiWii_pre2.4r1729_mission_SAT7_-head+180.png


With the raw head value (+/- 180 degree) modified counter clockwise to 360 degree, I see now somewhat parallel curves.
But for me it is still difficult to understand.

Regards, Rudolf


Take a look at this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/diva72lh5h002ok/MultiWiiLog_2014_12_07_15_35_51.ods?dl=0
User avatar
ezio
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: Paris

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:07 am

Hello EZIO,

Thank you for providing your log file.
I can see, that you are using a different formula to convert heading from +/- 180 degree to 0...359 degree.

Hopefully I find today time to investigate that topic.

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Today was a big MultiWii day for me. For the first time I gave a mission flight a try.

What especially surprised me was the high accuracy of the flight compared from the mission plan to the actual route shown on Google Earth!

The following video documents the successful flight (best viewed in full screen!):


Enjoy and happy New Year!

Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Well, I flew 2 more missions today, in the snow ;)

Went off like a charm. However I do have a question concerning POI. I placed the POI where I was standing thinking that my Quadcopter would always be looking at me but that didn't happen. Instead it was always looking at the heading to the WP. Am I misunderstanding something?

Image

Mission planner was done with EZ-GUI and FW pre2.4.

Leo
Last edited by Leo on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Leo wrote:Well, I flew 2 more missions today, in the snow ;)

Went off like a charm. However I do have a question concerning POI. I placed the POI where I was standing thinking that my Quadcopter would always be looking at me but that didn't happen. Instead it was always looking at the heading to the WP. Am I misunderstanding something?
Mission planner was done with EZ-GUI and FW pre2.4.

Leo

Hi Leo,
I've tested few times the POI and seems run well. You must add a POI before every waypoint.
Example:
POI 1
Waypoint1
POI2
Waypint2
...
...

Bye, Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank you Carlo. I will have to look more closer to that....

Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:19 pm

carlonb wrote:
Leo wrote:Well, I flew 2 more missions today, in the snow ;)

Went off like a charm. However I do have a question concerning POI. I placed the POI where I was standing thinking that my Quadcopter would always be looking at me but that didn't happen. Instead it was always looking at the heading to the WP. Am I misunderstanding something?
Mission planner was done with EZ-GUI and FW pre2.4.

Leo

Hi Leo,
I've tested few times the POI and seems run well. You must add a POI before every waypoint.
Example:
POI 1
Waypoint1
POI2
Waypint2
...
...
Bye, Carlo

HI Leo, I'm very sorry :oops: I was very excited with my last flight with MegapirateNG and make me confused !
You are right, the POI in MWii 2.4 (but is the same in Eosbandi navi b7) seems not working, only the first waypoint POI is running, but all the others not.
I've deeply investigate in the sketch, but I've not understood where may be the issue, I hope Alex and Eosbandi take a look here.
Bye
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Carlo, we all make mistakes now and then ;)
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:31 pm

Leo wrote:Carlo, we all make mistakes now and then ;)


he..he..he.. Trying here and there it's so easy make confusion :lol:

But this is the funny side testing different platforms looking for the best, MultiWii is more simple and readable code, MPNG is more difficult to look at inside, but slowly we can learn it.
Bye
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Hello Leo,

Thank you for the video.
It answers my question: What is the direction (camera view) when a mission is flown?

Now I see, that the camera looks always in direction to the next way point.

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Gern geschehen :)
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:52 pm

It's quite cold and windy today but that didn't deter me from trying the POI issues :D

I did two tests. The first was to just use 1 Waypoint with 1 POI (fly away, wait and then RTH):
Image

After my frozen finger finally was able to flip the switch the QC turned towards the set POI and flew to it's WP, waited 10 sec and the returned home. It worked just like it was suppose to.

I then loaded a second flight plan with 4 WP's and 4 POI's:
Image

Again after initiation the QC turned towards the POI and headed away to it's first WP. Through the whole flight the QC was always pointing towards the POI's. So now we know, it is in fact working... our MultiWii code 8-)

The tip from Carlo did the trick!

Sadly it's a bit of a pain to set up with EZ-GUI. You first need to set your WP's. Then you need to add POI to each WP. Lastly you set your RTH.

In the above example it looked like this:
POI 1
WP 1
POI 2
WP 2
POI 3
WP 3
POI4
WP 4
RTH

It worked! Fortunately the on-board video confirmed the whole flight :)
Unfortunately I'm having reliable data issues with my new CRIUS AIO Pro board and 3DR radio. Half the flight wasn't transmitted :(
Image

I also got surprised by the QC waiting at the last WP in RTH mode wanting to reach the desired altitude before flying to launch site. Since it took so long I had to abort the mission and fly her home manually.
I'll have to check and see what happened...

Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Leo wrote:It's quite cold and windy today but that didn't deter me from trying the POI issues :D

I did two tests. The first was to just use 1 Waypoint with 1 POI (fly away, wait and then RTH):
Image

After my frozen finger finally was able to flip the switch the QC turned towards the set POI and flew to it's WP, waited 10 sec and the returned home. It worked just like it was suppose to.

I then loaded a second flight plan with 4 WP's and 4 POI's:
Image

Again after initiation the QC turned towards the POI and headed away to it's first WP. Through the whole flight the QC was always pointing towards the POI's. So now we know, it is in fact working... our MultiWii code 8-)

The tip from Carlo did the trick!

Sadly it's a bit of a pain to set up with EZ-GUI. You first need to set your WP's. Then you need to add POI to each WP. Lastly you set your RTH.

In the above example it looked like this:
POI 1
WP 1
POI 2
WP 2
POI 3
WP 3
POI4
WP 4
RTH

It worked! Fortunately the on-board video confirmed the whole flight :)
Unfortunately I'm having reliable data issues with my new CRIUS AIO Pro board and 3DR radio. Half the flight wasn't transmitted :(
Image
......
Leo

Hi Leo,
Happy that POI is working, I never tried this approach with multiwii, I done this only with MPNG.
I've done a deep look at the code, but I've not seen the needs of POI GPS position refresh. I will take a look once and better, sure this is the trick :D
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Carlo,

what I still have to try is to use one POI only but this time set it right at the beginning:

POI 1
WP 1
WP 2
WP 3
WP 4
RTH

Maybe this might work as well?

Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Sorry, duplicated.

@Leo,
For me, only one POI at the beginning of waypoints not worked, or better to say, worked, but I found that the copter was to slow to keep the Poi direction and so do not keep the nose very well. today I can't try again due a strong wind. I will try again in few days.
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Fly tested the POI function,
Only one POI at the beginning of all waypoints is needed, anyway I found that the copter was very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.
All POI before next waypoints are ignored.
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby RC Madman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:54 am

I am looking forward to trying this all out once I get my 3.5 Mega and M8n GPS.
RC Madman
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:23 am

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 am

carlonb wrote:Fly tested the POI function,
Only one POI at the beginning of all waypoints is needed, anyway I found that the copter was very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.
All POI before next waypoints are ignored.
Carlo


Carlo,

I did more tests a couple of days ago. Main goal was to find out if more than 1 POI would work.

Here the test route:
Image

The results with my flights was that each POI before a WP is used.

In my example the QC flew to the first WP2 (left) and slowly pointing to POI1. After hovering 10 sec. the QC turned and pointed to WP4 (right). The QC then started to point at POI3 and hovered for 10 sec. before RTH.

The _.._.._ line shows the line of sight from the QC.

Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:07 am

Leo wrote:
carlonb wrote:Fly tested the POI function,
Only one POI at the beginning of all waypoints is needed, anyway I found that the copter was very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.
All POI before next waypoints are ignored.
Carlo


Carlo,
I did more tests a couple of days ago. Main goal was to find out if more than 1 POI would work.
Here the test route:
....
The results with my flights was that each POI before a WP is used.

In my example the QC flew to the first WP2 (left) and slowly pointing to POI1. After hovering 10 sec. the QC turned and pointed to WP4 (right). The QC then started to point at POI3 and hovered for 10 sec. before RTH.
The _.._.._ line shows the line of sight from the QC.
Leo

Ok Leo,
I realized, but not tried, that if we have only one POI, this will be used for all next waypoints,
if we need to change the POI during many waypoints, we must add POIs before the waypoint.

Still what I found that the copter is very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.

Bye
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:38 am

carlonb wrote:Ok Leo,
I realized, but not tried, that if we have only one POI, this will be used for all next waypoints,
Carlo

Correct.

carlonb wrote:if we need to change the POI during many waypoints, we must add POIs before the waypoint.
Carlo

Correct.

carlonb wrote:Still what I found that the copter is very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.

Correct.

Look at my _.._.._ line in the above example. That is when the copter starts to turn to POI.
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Leo wrote:...
...
Look at my _.._.._ line in the above example. That is when the copter starts to turn to POI.

Yes, I saw the _.._.._ line,
I made a four waypoint rectangle shaped with only one waypoint in the center of it, the copter is not able to keep the nose direct to the POI but it's alway in very delay. Regain the correct nose direction when is very near the next waypoint.
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby kavehslt » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:37 pm

hi every one
Image


that is very good
kavehslt
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:33 pm

I've uploaded the mission on Youtube as reference and for comparisons:



Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:15 pm

Well, today I got my spare parts via express mail from Hongkong.
After work I immediately started with the repairs. I only had 1 1/2 hours until the sun would hide behind the horizon. After an hour I was done with the repairs and then headed out to the field to give my Quad a try.

I did 2 mission tests. A circle of 100 meters dia. and 8 WP's. POI was in the middle. All worked out fine. The QC was always pointing to the center.
The other test was the same one I did in my above post. Except I moved the POI way further away from the WP's. I figured the QC should now be pointing to the POI's a lot sooner.

It was fast getting dark and the wind started to pick up quickly.

Here the result 8-)



I was glad my QC was up and running again. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby carlonb » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Leo wrote:Well, today I got my spare parts via express mail from Hongkong.
After work I immediately started with the repairs. I only had 1 1/2 hours until the sun would hide behind the horizon. After an hour I was done with the repairs and then headed out to the field to give my Quad a try.

I did 2 mission tests. A circle of 100 meters dia. and 8 WP's. POI was in the middle. All worked out fine. The QC was always pointing to the center.
The other test was the same one I did in my above post. Except I moved the POI way further away from the WP's. I figured the QC should now be pointing to the POI's a lot sooner.

It was fast getting dark and the wind started to pick up quickly.

Here the result 8-)



I was glad my QC was up and running again. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Hi Leo,
I'm glad that you are flying again, you worked very fast :lol:

About the POI, I realized (with your last tests) that the pointing will be more accurate if the POI is not so near to the tracks of the copter. My previous test was done with a rectangle of 10 by 15mt about with the POI in the middle of that rectangle, this may be the reason for the very slow pointing accuracy.
I will do the POI test with a larger run.
Bye
Carlo
carlonb
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby rubadub » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:26 am

Is anyone else here using the GPS NAV version for simple RTH via switches on signal loss (*not* through the MW failsafe feature)? If so, have you ever run into a problem where RTH/autopilot gets stuck & can't be easily disabled?

This happened to me twice today. I was practicing acro maneuvers with a quad, and it appears that my UHF RC link briefly lost signal & engaged my RTH switch. I quickly regained signal, but the KV-OSD kept showing 'autopilot+RTH arrow' as the flightmode. I could still fly & maneuver the quad, but it appeared to fight me a bit and wouldn't let me descend. I had to toggle the RTH switch on my radio multiple times in order to disable it, but it was clearly stuck for a good while.

Has anyone experienced something like this? If so, any ideas on what might be causing it? I checked the code, and it appears to check for changes in the GPS flight modes during each RC processing cycle, so I don't see why it would ignore my radio switch & remain in autopilot, doesn't make sense to me :?
rubadub
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:36 am

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:22 am

I wanted to see how accurate GPS was and made a mission path around a field:



Not too shabby I would say....

I'm going to see if I can reduce the overshooting at each of the WP's.

Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby rubadub » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:22 am

umm, so, are people basically just talking to themselves on this thread at this point? No more feedback & support anymore? I haven't seen any feedback from the main developer(s), which makes me think that they've abandoned this MW fork.

For whatever it's worth, for those that are interested in running this GPS/NAV version for the sole purpose of RTH, be warned that there's a glitch in the mode checking code that can cause the RTH/HOLD modes to get stuck & cannot be easily released by simply switching off the nav modes (either manually via switches or by failsafe being disengaged on RC signal re-acquisition).
rubadub
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:36 am

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:48 am

Hello Leo,

Thank you very much for the interesting video. :)
It needed several repetitions viewing the video to understand what is what.
It would be nice to have an extra picture of the mission plan, with an overlay of
the waypoint numbers, and the flight map.

So, what I understand up to now is:
1. Your Home point is in north-west position and looks to south-west.
2. After start the Quadrocopter turns around and flies to the Waypoint #1, the clock symbol.
3. At Waypoint #1 the Quadrocopter waits for 10 seconds.
4. Then the Quadrocopter flies, looking at waypoint #2, to waypoint #2,
5. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #3, to waypoint #3.
6. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #4, to waypoint #4.
7. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #5, to waypoint #5.
8. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #6, to waypoint #6.
9. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #7, to waypoint #7.
10. At waypoint 7 it waits 10 seconds.
11. While waiting the Quadrocopter drifts to east.
12. With a ReturnToHome command the Quadrocpter flies to the Home position.
13. At the Home position you give a Hold command, and the Quadrocopter turns 180 degree, looking in south-west direction.

What is now interesting for me:
1. Is my interpretation correct?
2. How large, in meter, was the overshoot at waypoint #2?
3. How large was the drift in the 10 seconds wait at waypoint #7?
4. What was the scale of the mission, e.g. distance from waypoint #3 to #4?

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:49 am

Rudi48 wrote:So, what I understand up to now is:
1. Your Home point is in north-west position and looks to south-west.
Actually I'm standing North of the mission and the QC is pointing to the East.
2. After start the Quadrocopter turns around and flies to the Waypoint #1, the clock symbol.
Correct.
3. At Waypoint #1 the Quadrocopter waits for 10 seconds.
Correct.
4. Then the Quadrocopter flies, looking at waypoint #2, to waypoint #2,
5. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #3, to waypoint #3.
6. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #4, to waypoint #4.
7. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #5, to waypoint #5.
8. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #6, to waypoint #6.
9. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #7, to waypoint #7.
Correct for the most part.
10. At waypoint 7 it waits 10 seconds.
Correct.
11. While waiting the Quadrocopter drifts to east.
North/East.
12. With a ReturnToHome command the Quadrocpter flies to the Home position.
RTH is controlled within the mission.
13. At the Home position you give a Hold command, and the Quadrocopter turns 180 degree, looking in south-west direction.
I don't give hold command, that's done automatically within the mission.

What is now interesting for me:
1. Is my interpretation correct?
I would say yes.
2. How large, in meter, was the overshoot at waypoint #2?
Approximately 5 meters.
3. How large was the drift in the 10 seconds wait at waypoint #7?
Approximately 5 meters.
4. What was the scale of the mission, e.g. distance from waypoint #3 to #4?
70 meters.
Regards, Rudolf


I wish EZ-GUI had the WP numbers in the symbol.

Leo
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello Leo,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
Unfortunately I am mixing up sometimes East and West (maybe the age) :(

Nevertheless it would be helpful for me if you could post the EZ-GUI screen and the flight map in full resolution for reference.
Even on a full HD screen it is not so easy to evaluate.

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Here you go...

I added the WP numbers.

Image
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello Leo,

Thank you for posting the pictures. :)
Now I can see, that the drift at waypoint #7 is in direction north-east.
Your video is excellent, but you have to see it on YouTube with full HD resolution to see all details.

The waypoint numbering makes it easier to follow the fly path.

It looks to me, that at each 90 degree turn, there is an position overshoot of about 5 m.

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby EOSBandi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Leo wrote:I wanted to see how accurate GPS was and made a mission path around a field:



Not too shabby I would say....

I'm going to see if I can reduce the overshooting at each of the WP's.

Leo

Increase the WP radius. It will consider the WP reached earlier so will reduce overshoot.
Increase crosstrack gain. It will decrease the time that needed to correct overshoot.
For more increased precisity, enable Slow navigation. This slows down near WP...
User avatar
EOSBandi
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: GPS NAV

Postby EOSBandi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:45 pm

For POI related issues :
Make sure MAG mode is enabled.
To speed up turn speed, increase MAG P value.
User avatar
EOSBandi
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Leo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:40 am

Thank you EOSBandi.

You have done fantastic work!!!

I'm enjoying this very very much :)
User avatar
Leo
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am
Location: Germany

Re: GPS NAV

Postby Rudi48 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:16 am

Hello EOSBandi,

Thank you very much for the hints to the overshoot issue. :)
You have designed a very good software for the community.

Regards, Rudolf
User avatar
Rudi48
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany

GPS NAV

Postby ezio » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 am

Leo wrote:Here you go...

I added the WP numbers.

Image

WP numbers will be added with next update
User avatar
ezio
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: Paris

Re: GPS NAV

Postby brewski » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Well done Ezio. This makes programming & viewing logs of missions so much easier
brewski
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Cleveland Qld Australia

Simulated Mission....

Postby IslandBill » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:44 pm

I was trying to follow the steps in your video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVw2dcRbgzo but I am running into a snag. I don't know how to enter simulated mode. I've downloaded the NaviSim but this seems to be an entirely seperate interface. Can you drop me a hint, anyone?

Thanks!
IslandBill
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: GPS NAV

Postby GUSHELFER » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:29 am

si Fence radius es < Safe wP distance tendria que abortar mision ???????
GUSHELFER
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Software development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron