GPS NAV

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
stronnag

Re: GPS NAV

Post by stronnag »

The following switch settings work for me :
switchedit_177.png

• By itselfs, AUX3 controls flight modes;
  • AUX2 sets mission and I can bail out either side of centre;
  • AUX4 provides HOLD and HOME
  • AUX1 provides LAND
LAND I may only have used from one of the other NAV modes with MAG/BARO enabled.
All modes work well, once you have correctly set up MAG, BARO etc.

Magik30

Post by Magik30 »

ok now it is easier for me. ;)
thank you

Magik30

Post by Magik30 »

hi

During LAND I let gas what position? center or zero?

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

stronnag wrote:The following switch settings work for me :
switchedit_177.png

• By itselfs, AUX3 controls flight modes;
  • AUX2 sets mission and I can bail out either side of centre;
  • AUX4 provides HOLD and HOME
  • AUX1 provides LAND
LAND I may only have used from one of the other NAV modes with MAG/BARO enabled.
All modes work well, once you have correctly set up MAG, BARO etc.

Sorry if I ask something dummy or mega repeated.

I see you use Horizon mode in Navigation.

Is a well known fact that Angle does not work as good as Horizon in navigation mode ?
Also I got some report that Angle mode is less precise then Horizon for keep a GPS PH ... is this something confirmed now ?

Thanks

e_lm_70

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Another quick question ... how big is the firmware with the EOSbandi Navigation ? Does it stay in 64k flash ?

msev

Post by msev »

Elm are you trying to hack it into baseflight :D lol

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

msev wrote:Elm are you trying to hack it into baseflight :D lol

For sure .. I will use your information here and there for hack something :ugeek:

Actually ... I never download MultiWii 2.3 with Waypoints ... so I even don't know how big it is the compiled code ... if it can squeeze in 64k ... I may put into "my" KK2.1 running MultiWii with GPS.

About Baseflight ... I'm an Harakiri follower ... so ... once I get my feet wet on it ... I will check with Rob how I could eventually support his project.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

On my Hacked version for FixedWing.
Using MPU6050 + Mag on a Mega 2560.
Binary sketch size: 36 160 bytes (of a 258 048 byte maximum

/Patrik

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

e_lm_70 wrote:Sorry if I ask something dummy or mega repeated.

I see you use Horizon mode in Navigation.

Is a well known fact that Angle does not work as good as Horizon in navigation mode ?
Also I got some report that Angle mode is less precise then Horizon for keep a GPS PH ... is this something confirmed now ?

Thanks

e_lm_70

Horizon is just force of habit. I've not tested whether there is any difference.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

PatrikE wrote:On my Hacked version for FixedWing.
Using MPU6050 + Mag on a Mega 2560.
Binary sketch size: 36 160 bytes (of a 258 048 byte maximum

/Patrik

36k .. very impressive

So EOS did a super job here :geek:

Thanks ... I will have to find some time to look more into EOS job ... and port this into the KK2 project.
Also ... it sound a good idea to move it to Baseflight or Harakiri ...

Magik30

Post by Magik30 »

version nav b7 it does not work well for me,
GPS HOME in castatrophe mode ANGLE or HORIZON.
so I went to the normal version 2.3.

sorry
with MultiWii version 2.3, the GPS HOME work better.
Last edited by Magik30 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

I have noticed that in the nav version RTH flys much faster than regular 2.3.

Mike

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

mike105105 wrote:I have noticed that in the nav version RTH flys much faster than regular 2.3.

Mike

Navigation speed is configurable on "regular 2.3"

Actually default value are so low on "2.3", that I always more then double the default navigation speed :geek:

Another good point for EOS ;)

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

Yes I know...this was in response to magiks post. Although he didn't exactly elaborate on what kind of catastrophe he had on rth, I can imagine something happening when someone goes from default values in 2.3 to the defaults on nav when they hit rth.

Mike

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

Has anyone else noticed that SET HEAD appears to be SET TAIL (i.e. the heading is the reciprocal of that specified?).

bejo52

Post by bejo52 »

Hi All,
I just start to use the latest version of the EOSBandi software at a Crius AIOP V1. So far everything seems to work fine (PosHold, RTH, Alt hold) except the headfree mode. I didn't activate the advanced mode in the code. With the RC I activate it together with the mag and horizon but when I switch it on nothing happens. The strange thing is when I switch at the RC in the WinGui I can see the response at the RC Control Set-Tab (highlight the headfree) but not at the Flight Deck-Tab.
Has anyone an idea? Did I miss anything?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Joerg

o_lampe

Post by o_lampe »

bejo52 wrote:Hi All,
I just start to use the latest version of the EOSBandi software at a Crius AIOP V1. So far everything seems to work fine (PosHold, RTH, Alt hold) except the headfree mode. I didn't activate the advanced mode in the code. With the RC I activate it together with the mag and horizon but when I switch it on nothing happens. The strange thing is when I switch at the RC in the WinGui I can see the response at the RC Control Set-Tab (highlight the headfree) but not at the Flight Deck-Tab.

Joerg

I'm not sure, but maybe MagHold overrules Headfree?

o_lampe

Post by o_lampe »

Yesterday, I had the third crash with the NAV_b7 sw. This time, I cleared the eeprom ( all 4096 Bytes ) before flashing.

http://youtu.be/wrvXft2kzVg

On the ground , I checked GPS-fix for 30 seconds and had 9 stable satellites.
I could start and use horizon, MAG,headadj and baro. But when I switched to GPS-hold the copter drifted away very fast ( again...)
I would highly appreciate a GPS-failsafe routine to filter out those dangerous hickups.

The sw should check if the number of satellites dropped significantly during the last cycle and compare last GPS position/new GPS position in relation to horizontal speed. If this result is out off a reasonable limit, simply ignore the new GPS data until the number of satellites is stable again.
Last edited by o_lampe on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

brm

Post by brm »

o_lampe wrote:Yesterday, I had the third crash with the NAV_b7 sw. This time, I cleared the eeprom ( all 4096 Bytes ) before flashing.

I could start and use horizon, MAG,headhold and baro. But when I switched to GPS-hold the copter drifted away very fast ( again...)
I would highly appreciate a GPS-failsafe routine to filter out those dangerous hickups.

The sw should check if the number of satellites dropped significantly during the last cycle and compare last GPS position/new GPS position in relation to horizontal speed. If this result is out off a reasonable limit, simply ignore the new GPS data until the number of satellites is stable again.

i would love it get the flight data.
not from the crash but from the fly-away.
that would help for development purposes ...

o_lampe

Post by o_lampe »

I haven't tried datalogging yet. I have no BT or wireless ground-connection.

brewski

Post by brewski »

o_lampe wrote:Yesterday, I had the third crash with the NAV_b7 sw. This time, I cleared the eeprom ( all 4096 Bytes ) before flashing.

I could start and use horizon, MAG,headadj and baro. But when I switched to GPS-hold the copter drifted away very fast ( again...)

I had similar experience. I activated Pos Hold with no Baro or Mag & quad flew away fast to the right. Flight mode Horizon. Managed to get control only after switching off GPS mode switch.
I then took off again & first enabled Baro before Pos Hold & no flyaway. I repeated without Baro with same result. I had 8 sats on EZ-GUI.
It appears that Pos Hold requires Baro to function correctly.

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

That's odd, I thought it automatically enabled what it needs. I never encountered this situation because I have have my aux channel for gps also explicitly enable baro and mag, same for my RTH channel.

Mike

brewski

Post by brewski »

I will tick the Baro box for all GPS functions just to be safe.
I know the official Multiwii wiki Flight modes does not show Baro as a required option for GPS Pos Hold or GPS Return to Home. Only Compass (Mag), Gyro, GPS & Acc as mandatory.
I do not use the Mag on my Crius AIOP V2 as it goes up to 90degrees off with full throttle. I have an external mag board on order.
Do you think not using Mag data can cause issue with Pos Hold & Return to Home with 2.3 Navi b7?

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

Pretty sure it needs the mag to know which direction it's going lol. Get that external mag hooked up and you will be good.

Mike

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

EOSBandi, Thanks so much for your hard work on this nav beta!

I believe I have successfully modified the nav7 beta to work with 16 channels on SERIAL_SUM_PPM as well as adding AUX states for AUX 5-12. Now I just need a GUI to test it with. If anyone is interested in working with me on this to add the functionality for additional AUX channels, let me know! I would think it would be fairly arbitrary to add it to the GUI as long as multiwii understands it. I am currently testing on OpenLRS 3.6.4 with a witespy black edition EZ 3.0 and GPS / Compass backplane.

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

I believe I've found the code in the WinGUI app to modify to allow for the increased AUX channels as well, but I don't have the development environment set up yet. Hopefully this week I can get that going and test it. If so I'll post the modified code to my github and post the link here! I'm hoping this turns out to be as easy as it has seemed, but my experience with software development leads me to believe that is rarely the case!

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

@András;

can you implement the possibility to configure 3DR-modules via WinGUI like
Ezio did in EZ-GUI? This will be a nice to have feature.

ezio

Post by ezio »

-ralf- wrote:@András;

Configuration utility exist already for windows so what it the point of doing that?

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

ezio wrote:
-ralf- wrote:@András;

Configuration utility exist already for windows so what it the point of doing that?

No need of an external software .... as I wrote, its a "nice to have" ....

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

Just about finished with the additional aux setup. I've significantly optimized the aux processing code inWinGUI, making it all dynamicly dependent on the AUX_CHANNELS variable. For now I've cut the aux channels at 32bits (10 regular, 5 expanded aux channels) to save on memory and cycles. I still have some fine tuning to do on the MultiWii side, but its almost there. I'm hoping to have it done and posted by the end of the weekend.

bejo52

Post by bejo52 »

o_lampe wrote:

Joerg

I tried with and without mag, with and without GPS, always the same no headfree function.
Are there still other ideas?

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

bejo52 wrote:
o_lampe wrote:

Joerg

I tried with and without mag, with and without GPS, always the same no headfree function.
Are there still other ideas?

That actually makes sense, something in MultiWii is not registering the switch. WinGUI doesn't actually check the settings in MultiWii when it's on the RC
Control tab, it just assumes based on the RC input values. Do other settings work on the same aux channel, or is it the whole channel that's bad?

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

Ok, I got the additional AUX channels working beautifully! Totally complete. I'll upload the Arduino and WinGUI code as soon as possible. I should have it posted by tomorrow night. Once I have it up, please test it on other configurations and let me know if it works.

o_lampe

Post by o_lampe »

VirtualEnder wrote:Ok, I got the additional AUX channels working beautifully! Totally complete. I'll upload the Arduino and WinGUI code as soon as possible. I should have it posted by tomorrow night. Once I have it up, please test it on other configurations and let me know if it works.

That sounds great generally speaking..but I'm under the impression EOSBandi is occupied otherwise. He mentioned once, it will last till end of April until anything could be improved in his NAV code. Now it's end of june and I haven't read from him for awhile...

Your channel expansion "only" works for PPM-sum? I wouldn't dare to fly a full featured copter with only a ppm-sum RX.
I'm using a standard RX with an additional ppm-sum RX. But we can't split the sum signal to be read by two devices( MWii and standard RX ), right?

Is it possible to write a pass-thru for MWii?
In a way, where the sum-RX sends data to MWii and MWii sends same data to standard RX.

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

o_lampe wrote:
VirtualEnder wrote:Ok, I got the additional AUX channels working beautifully! Totally complete. I'll upload the Arduino and WinGUI code as soon as possible. I should have it posted by tomorrow night. Once I have it up, please test it on other configurations and let me know if it works.

That sounds great generally speaking..but I'm under the impression EOSBandi is occupied otherwise. He mentioned once, it will last till end of April until anything could be improved in his NAV code. Now it's end of june and I haven't read from him for awhile...

Your channel expansion "only" works for PPM-sum? I wouldn't dare to fly a full featured copter with only a ppm-sum RX.
I'm using a standard RX with an additional ppm-sum RX. But we can't split the sum signal to be read by two devices( MWii and standard RX ), right?

Is it possible to write a pass-thru for MWii?
In a way, where the sum-RX sends data to MWii and MWii sends same data to standard RX.

Actually the code should work for any device that can generate more than 8 channels, including SBUS and Spektrum. I'll look into the possibility of pass through. It'd be nice to have the redundancy. Any reason you don't trust ppm sum? I've never had any problems with it. There's not a whole ton of difference code wise between ppm sum and standard, just cycles really. Even with that my OpenLRS has a faster refresh rate on ppm sum than my turnigy 9x 2.4ghz standard.

brewski

Post by brewski »

APM & Megapirates have Loiter mode which from what I have read means you can fly but once sticks are centered quad goes into Position Hold until it receives another flight instruction from transmitter. I have only recently received my GPS module (connected to Crius AIOP V2) & tried Pos Hold & RTH which seem to function pretty accurately without any PID tuning. I am wondering if you can activate Pos Hold & fly similar to Loiter.

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

brewski wrote:APM & Megapirates have Loiter mode which from what I have read means you can fly but once sticks are centered quad goes into Position Hold until it receives another flight instruction from transmitter. I have only recently received my GPS module (connected to Crius AIOP V2) & tried Pos Hold & RTH which seem to function pretty accurately without any PID tuning. I am wondering if you can activate Pos Hold & fly similar to Loiter.

This feature exists in standard MultiWii, but has been disabled in the nav beta as it interferes with the waypoint navigation.

brewski

Post by brewski »

That's interesting. I haven't experimented much yet with nav/GPS functions as only had GPS for a week, but is it possible to enable Pos Hold and fly around, I don't mean acrobatics & then centre sticks to hold in new position, or do you have to turn off Pos Hold to actually move any distance.

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

I was thinking the same thing...I have always been able to take control and move around while in GPS hold. I have never tried flying around any real distance like that so I'm not sure of any possible ill effects, but I use it all the time when I need to nudge it into a better spot.

Mike

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

The way it works in standard MultiWii, there is a dead zone at center sticks. When the stick moves out of the zone, GPS hold is temporarily disabled until sticks center again at which point it locks to the new position. You should be able to fly as normal with that mode enabled on standard MultiWii.

As I mentioned before though this has been disabled in the nav beta for now.

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

Here is line 577 in config.h

Code: Select all

/************************        AP FlightMode        **********************************/
  /*** FUNCTIONALITY TEMPORARY REMOVED
  /* Temporarily Disables GPS_HOLD_MODE to be able to make it possible to adjust the Hold-position when moving the sticks.*/
  //#define AP_MODE 40  // Create a deadspan for GPS.

brewski

Post by brewski »

It would be nice to have this feature back as virtually same as Loiter from my understanding. Maybe just disable when Mission is enabled if it interferes with waypoints.

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

Yeah I know what you said, but it is still working for me...sooooo, not sure what to make of that. And I am using the latest beta.

Mike

brewski

Post by brewski »

Hi Mike,
Am I understanding correctly. You can hover in Angle or Horizon then engage Pos Hold (with Mag & Baro enabled?) & fly away from last hold position for some distance, release sticks & quad will then Pos Hold in new position?

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

I will try to double check today but yes. I know because occasionally I get a gps freak out by my job, because of a cell tower I think, and yank the stick when it dives to the side unexpectedly. I also use it when I have perfect hold to slide over a bit to a better spot when recording video, only ever a few feet so far though.

Mike

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

I didn't get to fly today to check but I did just notice in my config.h I uncommented that line //#define AP_MODE 40 // Create a deadspan for GPS. Everything works for me: nav, rth, pos hold, so I don't think there is any harm in it, plus you get control of the craft when you need it.

Mike

VirtualEnder

Post by VirtualEnder »

Good to know it seems to be working! Are you using missions and waypoints while it is enabled? What happens if you move the sticks while in a mission?

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

I haven't tried during a mission, but I always fly missions with my finger on the trigger just in case.

Mike

o_lampe

Post by o_lampe »

I've made a different experience with GPShold and stick-wrestling:
I can fly around with GPShold still enabled and when I release the sticks, the copter moves back to the place, where I enabled GPShold.
Probably it is because of some different settings in config.h ?

o_lampe

Post by o_lampe »

Any reason you don't trust ppm sum?

It's not the ppm-sum, I don't trust. It's just the luxury of 3 antennas pointing in different directions, I like.
That's why, I'm using the standard RX and a double antenna ppm-sum RX.