GPS NAV

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
dm571

Re: GPS NAV

Post by dm571 »

EOSBandi wrote:did you wait about 10 minute to let sensors cool down ?

nope... i think at -15 no need to wait for 10 min. They cool quickly. Well maybe im wrong.... I will test again!! Thanks
RTH and poshold works well.

happyusers

Post by happyusers »

Hi Andràs,
Dont ask why I dont know the reason but the connexion is established.
I put traces in firmware (protocol.cpp) and realised that the characters received were weird. I tried several speed and the slower, the more errors I had. At last I tried 115200 and all sent characters were received correctly. I lauched the GUI and surprisingly everything went good. I got a connexion between my FC and your GUI. Thank you for your help and for the great work. I shall very soon be able to test the GPS functions.

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Let all of us be happy ..... tomorrow is beta-monday :D

Perry

Post by Perry »

EOS great job!
Today I tried the last two versions (b4 and b5) of MWI nav and all has go very well indeed.
I am also preparing a mini guide in Italian (for friends) for MultiwiiNav. The GUI has been greatly enriched so I wait for that the work is to be conclude for the complete guide.
Thank you!

Perry

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

I tried to compile -navi-b5-baro_fix for a Mini MWC FC and got "wp_distance was not declared in this scope". Looking at the code, the problem seems to be that I am selecting #define I2C_GPS (needed with this FC). Is there any way around this ?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

leocopter wrote:I tried to compile -navi-b5-baro_fix for a Mini MWC FC and got "wp_distance was not declared in this scope". Looking at the code, the problem seems to be that I am selecting #define I2C_GPS (needed with this FC). Is there any way around this ?

1. read the first post
2. use another FC with a serial GPS and an AtMega2560 processor

I2C GPS support is discontinued, the last release with i2c-gps support was 2.3.

kenpappas

Mission Planner

Post by kenpappas »

Will we get this working with the MW SE that has the ATMega 328P Microcontroller?

EOSBandi

Re: Mission Planner

Post by EOSBandi »

kenpappas wrote:Will we get this working with the MW SE that has the ATMega 328P Microcontroller?

nope. Not enough memory on mega328

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

Peeps,

This is really good stuff. However, there is so much technical talk in this thread that for me it's difficult to understand what's going on and how to set-up!

Current Set-up
My board is the CRIUS AIOP bought here: http://www.rctimer.com/product_838.html
I have a Bluetooth and a 3DR connected and working well.
I am currently running MW v2.3, Win_GUI v2.3 R8 and Multiwii EZ_GUI on an Android phone running v4.1
ACRO and Horizon (Self Level) work well
I have tuned the Baro (Altitude), got GPS_HOLD working and due to test GPS_HOME shortly weather permitting.

So, I have a written some questions regarding the NAVI code, associated software and how to install. This is mainly for my own use but hopefully it will also be useful to others in the same boat as me.

Questions
1.) Is my board I2c and therefore not compatible?

2.) For configuration, do I just make the same changes in the NAVI Config.h that I made to MW v2.3?

3.) I see in the thread that there is a 3DR Config program. I have downloaded this but.......
3.1.) What does this do?
3.2.) Do I need it?
3.3.) Where do I get it from?
3.4.) In the 3DR Config program and in the thread, there is mention that you can upload firmware.
3.4.1.) Does this mean that I can upload MultiWii firmware to my CRIUS board via 3DR rather than via USB?

4.) I have also downloaded the NAVISIM
4.1.) Do I require special cables to make this work?
4.2.) Is this only used to test out the NAV parameters on the ground (at home)

5.) I want to make sure that I do not loose any of my hard earned settings in MW2.3. Therefore is the correct/safe procedure of uploading the NAVI firmware and retaining me flight settings as follows?
5.1.) In WIN_GUI 2.3 r8,
5.1.1.) Connect to the CRIUS board via 3dr or Bluetooth
5.1.2.) Ensure that PIDS, AUX and other settings are present
5.1.3.) Hit "Save File"
5.1.4.) Save the file to a known location like Desktop
5.1.5.) Disconnect from the CRIUS board

6.) Make the necessary changes to the Config.h file within the NAVI b5 Baro Fix code (latest) Ivia Arduino

7.) Compile the code to ensure no errors

8.) Upload the firmware to the board
8.1.) I may have answered 3.4 above myself!

9.) Re-start WIN_GUI
9.1.) Connect to the CRIUS board
9.2.) check that Navigation Set-up is available in the Flight Tuning tab of the GUI and that there are new flight modes available on the RC Control tab

10.) Test fly without any NAV settings to unsure that there are no flight differences to standard Acro, Horizon, GPS_HOLD or GPS_HOME modes when compared to pre NAVI firmware.

I think that's t!

Cheers.

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Questions
1.) Is my board I2c and therefore not compatible?

*** Your board IS compatible and uses a u-blox NEO-6M GPS module.
*** So in Config.h in the GPS settings section
#define GPS_SERIAL 2 (or the specific serial port number that your board uses for GPS)
#define GPS_BAUD 57600
#define UBLOX (comment out all the other GPS protocol defines)

*** also in the Serial com speed settings section, set the serial speed of the telemetry port to 57600 (usually SERIAL 3)
ie: #define SERIAL3_COM_SPEED 57600

2.) For configuration, do I just make the same changes in the NAVI Config.h that I made to MW v2.3?

*** Yes, but with all the additional requirements mentioned in this post....

3.) I see in the thread that there is a 3DR Config program. I have downloaded this but.......
3.1.) What does this do?
*** It enables you to upload specific settings / firmware for MW use at 57600 baud
3.2.) Do I need it?
*** YES
3.3.) Where do I get it from?
*** Here: https://mw-wingui.googlecode.com/files/Sik-mw-2.3.zip
*** Unzip it. (the file required is: radio~hm_trp.ihx)
*** Plug the "ground" 3DR radio into USB on your computer and run the Config program (3DRRadio.exe)
Select the correct com port (check using CONTROL PANEL/DEVICE MANAGER/PORTS) and ensure baud is set to 57600. Click "load Settings" to see if it's connected....
(I initially had problems on WIN7 64bit and had to download drivers, here: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/page ... ivers.aspx )
Now click "Upload Firmware" and point it to wherever you un-zipped Sik-mw-2.3.zip
Select radio~hm_trp.ihx (Thanks to EOSBandi for this)

3.4.) In the 3DR Config program and in the thread, there is mention that you can upload firmware.
3.4.1.) Does this mean that I can upload MultiWii firmware to my CRIUS board via 3DR rather than via USB?
*** No.
5.) I want to make sure that I do not loose any of my hard earned settings in MW2.3. Therefore is the correct/safe procedure of uploading the NAVI firmware and retaining me flight settings as follows?
5.1.) In WIN_GUI 2.3 r8,
5.1.1.) Connect to the CRIUS board via 3dr or Bluetooth.
*** No, connect using your USB, wired connection.
5.1.2.) Ensure that PIDS, AUX and other settings are present
5.1.3.) Hit "Save File"
5.1.4.) Save the file to a known location like Desktop
5.1.5.) Disconnect from the CRIUS board.

6.) Make the necessary changes to the Config.h file within the NAVI b5 Baro Fix code (latest) Ivia Arduino
7.) Compile the code to ensure no errors
8.) Upload the firmware to the board
*** Then load your saved settings back onto your board...

*** Now plug the 3DR "Air" module into SERIAL3 on your flight controller and power up.
The green led's on both modules will flash initially, but must turn on solid, which indicates that the connection is good.

9.) Re-start WIN_GUI

*** select the COM port that the 3DR "Ground" radio is connected to and select 57600 baud.

9.1.) Connect to the CRIUS board

*** The red led's on both 3DR modules will flash when data is being transmitted and received on the telemetry port.

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

@howardhb,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. This is just the confirmation I was after.

Just a couple of other questions though!

With regards to my Telemetry set-up, I am already set to use a baud rate of 57600. Do I still need to run 3DRRadio.exe) and load the radio~hm_trp.ihxfirmware?
I mentioned that I already had 3DRRadio.exe) but I thought it was in the zip file. Where do I get this from cause a Google search has not found it!

Also, I already have the 3dr air module connected, do I need to disconnect it before I go through this procedure?

Cheers.

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Do I still need to run 3DRRadio.exe) and load the radio~hm_trp.ihxfirmware?
Yes
I mentioned that I already had 3DRRadio.exe) but I thought it was in the zip file. Where do I get this from cause a Google search has not found it!
You will find it in the downloads list on Googlecode page for WinGui. Sik-mw-2.3.zip https://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list
or directly click on this link (check my previous post, it's there. :shock: )https://mw-wingui.googlecode.com/files/Sik-mw-2.3.zip
Also, I already have the 3dr air module connected, do I need to disconnect it before I go through this procedure?
Not necessary.

Jimbo385

GPS NAV

Post by Jimbo385 »

Many thanks

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

You're welcome :mrgreen:

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Also, when you run the 3DR config tool, make sure you haven't left Wingui connected to the 3DR "Ground" radio's COM port..... :geek:

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

I have looked in the zip file and 3DRRadio.exe is not present!

I can't find it anywhere!

ttcorse

Post by ttcorse »

a question, Upload Firmware at the air modul,how do you proceed?
Thanks

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

Well, I fond the 3DR Config tool, plugged my unit into the USB port. Ran the program, selected the com port, the correct baud rate and hit Load Settings.

Now, if I hit either Upload Firmware (local) or Upload Custom Firmware, it does it's own thing and I have no idea what it has loaded as it does not give me the option to select what to load!

By the way, I have tried to attach a screen print but I have no idea how! I click on Img above and it puts the tags in but will not allow paste!

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

Ok, I sussed it out.

I extracted the config zip file but it did not create it's own folder to place the files in. I created the folder manually and coppied the files into it. However, I did not copy in the ZH-HANS folder! Once I did this, started again and hit Upload Custom Firmware, it allowed me to select the 2.3 firmware.

It has now uploaded to the 3Dr unit.

Phew!

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

Right, next issue!

I am now trying to update the config.h file in the Navi b5 Baro Fix Sketch.

When I either double click the Multiwii file or select it within Arduino, I get the following error message

The file "MultiWii.ino" needs to be inside a sketch folder named "MultiWii". Create this folder, move the file, and continue?

If I click "Cancel" Arduino stops.
If I click "OK", the folder is created and ARDUINO loads the MultiWii.ino file only! All other files are missing!

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

You need to update the air-module too ....

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Jimbo385 wrote:Right, next issue!

I am now trying to update the config.h file in the Navi b5 Baro Fix Sketch.

When I either double click the Multiwii file or select it within Arduino, I get the following error message

The file "MultiWii.ino" needs to be inside a sketch folder named "MultiWii". Create this folder, move the file, and continue?

If I click "Cancel" Arduino stops.
If I click "OK", the folder is created and ARDUINO loads the MultiWii.ino file only! All other files are missing!

Move all files to a subfolder named MultiWii ...

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

-ralf- wrote:You need to update the air-module too ....

How do I do this as it's not mentioned anywhere?

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

-ralf- wrote:Move all files to a subfolder named MultiWii ...

This worked. Thanks.

I've never had to do that before though!

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Jimbo385 wrote:
-ralf- wrote:You need to update the air-module too ....

How do I do this as it's not mentioned anywhere?

You need an usb2serial-adapter to connect the air.module to your pc and update the firmware.

Jimbo385

Post by Jimbo385 »

Well, I do not have a USB2Serial Adapter.

I have loaded the firmware and my settings.
Connection ok via USB
Connection OK via Bluetooth
Connection appears OK via 3dr

So, will this work or will I loose some functionality?

I have not flown it yet but so far, all appears to be fine. The NAV parameters are viewable and can be changed in the GUI APP.

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

@jimbo385 all seems ok.
If you are able to connect to Wingui (on the 3DR) com port at 57600 baud via you 3DR radios then you are good to go.
Well done!
As far as I'm aware, if the air module is responding to the ground module and you are able to upload a mission (and download) to your flight controller, the settings are good.

You should now be able to test the NAV functions.

H.

Jimbo385

GPS NAV

Post by Jimbo385 »

Thanks.

It may be a little while before I test it as I'm still fine tuning hold and RTH.

Cheers

BarneyG

Post by BarneyG »

Jimbo385 wrote:
-ralf- wrote:Move all files to a subfolder named MultiWii ...

This worked. Thanks.

I've never had to do that before though!

It is just another limitation of the Arduino IDE ... The project file must have the same name as the directory it is in

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

@András,

is a new beta possible to test at weekend? Weather seems to become stable here .....

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

There are no significant changes in the code since last release. Mostly preparation for integration to _shared. So if you have time, it's perfectly fine to test with B5. IF you can do, please test the autoland, it is important that this function works perfectly.

I'll putting together a site to deliver new releases, since google disabled the file upload function in google-code.

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

EOSBandi wrote:There are no significant changes in the code since last release. Mostly preparation for integration to _shared. So if you have time, it's perfectly fine to test with B5. IF you can do, please test the autoland, it is important that this function works perfectly.

I'll putting together a site to deliver new releases, since google disabled the file upload function in google-code.

I`d like to have the EXTENDED_AUX_STATES of r97 ..... I only have VS-Express 2010 so I cannot compile myself.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

-ralf- wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:There are no significant changes in the code since last release. Mostly preparation for integration to _shared. So if you have time, it's perfectly fine to test with B5. IF you can do, please test the autoland, it is important that this function works perfectly.

I`d like to have the EXTENDED_AUX_STATES of r97 ..... I only have VS-Express 2010 so I cannot compile myself.

OK, I'll put up a snapshot this evening, but be warned ! I did not had time to flight test the EXTENDED_AUX_STATES yet, so be careful.

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

EOSBandi wrote:
-ralf- wrote:

OK, I'll put up a snapshot this evening, but be warned ! I did not had time to flight test the EXTENDED_AUX_STATES yet, so be careful.

Thank you ..... I think I have to erase the EEPROM ?

Perry

Post by Perry »

I've tested the autoland function indoor, and here it seems don't work.
It's necessary to be outdoor?
While you're doing a mission?
Is it not possible to test the autoland function indoor?
Thanks

Perry

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Perry wrote:I've tested the autoland function indoor, and here it seems don't work.
It's necessary to be outdoor?
While you're doing a mission?
Is it not possible to test the autoland function indoor?
Thanks

Perry

Well, I your altitude hold works OK indoor ?
Autoland needs at least 3-5 meters altitude and a good working althold.

Perry

Post by Perry »

Yes, alt hold works well but the ceiling is not high enough in my room!
I would like to test the function outdoors but unfortunately it continues to rain ...:(
I hope I can do the test tomorrow.

Perry

http://perry-piermaria.blogspot.it/

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Hi Guys.
Here is an interim release for those who are keen to test the EXTENDED_AUX_STATES implementation.
You can download it from http://eosbandi.com/downloads/ because google code no longer allows downloads.

Please note : I'm on a business trip, so I was not able to flight test B6+pre9, especially the extended AUX implementation. It seems to work correctly on the desk and in simulated environment, but as usual : use it on your own risk.

News :
In config.h you can define EXTENDED_AUX_STATES. When this defined you will have six aux boxes per channel instead of three. (See config.h for relevant channel values). This only works with WinGUI 2.3pre9. DO NOT TRY IT WITH MultiWiiConf. Also it is not recommended with atmega324 processors, since adding aux states is a memory hog. Please note; enabling extended aux state WILL erase your EEPROM
This release is merged with _shared R1651

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Is it necessary to erase the EEPROM by uploading the EEPROM_CLEAR-sketch?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

-ralf- wrote:Is it necessary to erase the EEPROM by uploading the EEPROM_CLEAR-sketch?

well, It is not necessary, but it won't hurt....

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Thank you very much ;)

Will test it today afternoon .....

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Cannot start the GUI ......

Error msgbox: .....cannot open c:\windows\system32\gui_settings.xml. Access denied

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

At initial startup of the gui all default directories are set to c:\windows\system32.
Changing the directories to sub-directories of WinGUI hasn't any effect. Error Message is
the same .... gui_settings.xml is searched in system32.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

-ralf- wrote:At initial startup of the gui all default directories are set to c:\windows\system32.
Changing the directories to sub-directories of WinGUI hasn't any effect. Error Message is
the same .... gui_settings.xml is searched in system32.

Make sure you are running it from the directory where you unpackaged the files. (Not via a shortcut)

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

I cannot explain .... now it works .... nothing changed .....

Perry

Post by Perry »

I made the test of the "autoland".
It works! Very good!
However, BARO must first be turned off! (why it does not automatically?)
Didn't would be better if, when AUTOLAND mode is activated, are automatically activated GPS HOLD, MAG and LEVEL, but also, especially, disabled BARO?
Moreover, since the speed of descent is allways constant, when the copter is at high quote this speed is a bit slow; instead, close to the ground, this speed is a bit too high, then the copter bounce a few times before stopping on the ground.
Would it be possible, for example, that the speed was about 1 m/s over 2 meters and then 0.5 m/s between 2-0.5 m and then 10 cm/s until it reaches the ground?

Perry

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

And what will happen when the ground level at landing zone is higher
than at starting point?

Perry

Post by Perry »

-ralf- wrote:And what will happen when the ground level at landing zone is higher
than at starting point?

Mh......yeah, right.
Maybe...until we have a sonar could set the landing altitude?

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

LAND doesn't work here.

ACC is active, same as MAG. LAND is on a switch (AUX4). When switched GUI says
LAND is active, but nothing happens.

Perry said BARO must be off when switching to LAND. Is this correct?