MWii and GPS waypoints (x,y and z)...

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
alll

Re: MWii and GPS waypoints (x,y and z)...

Post by alll »

All this sounds good! :)))) Eager to get it tested.
Thanks
manu

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

EOSBandi wrote:2560 and i2cgps both will be supported (this is the main reason why it took long...)
Updated version of WinGUI will include the mission planner and wp uploader.
NO MAV-Link, just pure MSP.... will add full docu, so anti-MS guys can write their own mission planner.....

I really hope the mission planner is built upon a universal platform because I personally do not own a Windows machine any more. With the new advancements of the Android divides and now the Android Mini PC, I really foresee a major breakaway from windows.

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

The MSP code is published. You can just start with the system of your choice.

But there are a lot of other questions first:
How to start waipoint flying?
How to get the next waypoint?
Do an action?

Return to home?

For every thing you need an switch perhaps.
But we only have 4!!!!

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

cGiesen wrote:The MSP code is published. You can just start with the system of your choice.

But there are a lot of other questions first:
How to start waipoint flying?
How to get the next waypoint?
Do an action?

Return to home?

For every thing you need an switch perhaps.
But we only have 4!!!!

I tries to keep it as simple as possible... The goal to define a path with certain stops and send the copter along this path....

From the RC controller point of view, it's one more box.... do mission....
At the end of the mission, it can RTH, or poshold for unlimited time.
If you switch away from the do mission mode, then the current mission is canceled.
poshold and rth switches has priority over do mission....

There are three types of waypoints :
normal waypoint : When copter reaches it, it will continue to the next waypoint immediately
poshold_limited : When copter reaches it, it will wait there for the set amount of time then continue
poshold_unlimited: When it reached copter will stay there until mode switch.

When the last waypoint is reached copter will start RTH. (if it is not a poshold_unlimited).

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Under "Mission Control" the normal Poshold-Switsch can be used as "Pause Mission" ....
only an idea ....

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

-ralf- wrote:Under "Mission Control" the normal Poshold-Switsch can be used as "Pause Mission" ....
only an idea ....

Yea sure, with a couple dozen more lines and bunch of variables to store the state.... perhaps in the next release cycle

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

Whats about security?
Perhaps if I set a WP 2 km away?
Or I define a mission, but I'm on a different location and I start the mission?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

cGiesen wrote:Whats about security?
Perhaps if I set a WP 2 km away?
Or I define a mission, but I'm on a different location and I start the mission?

IF you are not within 200m of the first wp then it will not activate the mission...
Since navi should work for airplanes too, the 2km is quite ok. We can add a fencing function which switch to rth when copter (or plane) hit's the x meter radius.

alll

Post by alll »

Simple? Here my way of seeing it... :roll:
1 waypoint is set via EZ gui. (Lat/Long and height in meters)
Arm, activate the "pos-hold" switch, copter takes off vertically to reach pos-hold height, then navigates to pos-hold Long/Lat. keeping its height, finally hold its position once "waypoint" is reached.
After this normal pos-hold / rth loop is applicable.
So the pos-hold switch behaves differently :
1) armed and low throttle : take off and goto pos/hold position
2) armed and throttle > 0 : normal pos/hold

Do we really need more?...

manu

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

EOSBandi wrote:
-ralf- wrote:Under "Mission Control" the normal Poshold-Switsch can be used as "Pause Mission" ....
only an idea ....

Yea sure, with a couple dozen more lines and bunch of variables to store the state.... perhaps in the next release cycle

Pause at the next waypoint .... like "poshold_limited", until poshold switch is toggled ....

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Seems to me, delegating part of this task would be the most expeditious means of get this show on the road. I know cGiesen has done much work on the mw-wingui, as long as he back-port his work, personally I don't see any problems with letting him take the lead on that aspect. What is needed is some clearly defined goals and let people help as best as they can.

timecop

Post by timecop »

delegating tasks resulted in minimosd.

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

copterrichie wrote:Seems to me, delegating part of this task would be the most expeditious means of get this show on the road. I know cGiesen has done much work on the mw-wingui, as long as he back-port his work, personally I don't see any problems with letting him take the lead on that aspect. What is needed is some clearly defined goals and let people help as best as they can.

I only will do my parts. In the moment, we get a final WP protocol, I will adapt my GUI. Nothing more.

Security:
In my GUI I can only add a WP max 200m from the previous WP.
The Idea RTH when Copter is more than 2km than RTH is a good idea.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Where is the unity, working together for the common cause? Oh well...

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,

There is some animation here ;)
I think some subjects need some clarification.

About the way things are included in the code.
In a project, there is always a main code where choices must be made and where there are several options available. As I told here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3213
it is impossible to conceive the code evolution as an addition of all individual contributions for many reasons. We can have a different and incompatible conception on how things must be implemented.

So about GPS WP code:
The choice is already done 4 months ago:
I decided to follow and trust EOSBandi future contribution because we are all happy (and especially me) with the current GPS code mainly impulsed by him with the help of arducopter base. I said it here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3344
It would be very disrespectful of me to consider an alternative only 4 months after.

Hopefully, the code is open source and everyone is free to experiment other approaches. But it's important to understand why some contribution are not automatically included.

On other aspects:
I think recent evolution about APM loiter mode is now much more evolved than multiwii GPS POS HOLD. It is not a question of PID setting but algorithm.
In this area, I would really be happy to see a contribution bringing this accuracy in multiwii.
I'm pretty sure it's possible with few overall impacts.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I flown ArduCopter 3 quite a few times and i am impressed about results in GPS PH and AutoNavigation accuracy.
Those performances were obtained by fussioning X-Y GPS data with X-Y accelerometer data.
This strategy for AHRS (Attitude and Heading Reference System) delivers amazing stability to gps noise and outside position perturbation, here is a clip demostrating those feature:
http://youtu.be/YVO-0yvDBE0?t=26s

ps. I still use "old" trusty MWC NHA23 for complex video projects

alll

Post by alll »

dramida wrote:I flown ArduCopter 3 quite a few times and i am impressed about results in GPS PH and AutoNavigation accuracy.
Those performances were obtained by fussioning X-Y GPS data with X-Y accelerometer data.
This strategy for AHRS (Attitude and Heading Reference System) delivers amazing stability to gps noise and outside position perturbation, here is a clip demostrating those feature:
http://youtu.be/YVO-0yvDBE0?t=26s

ps. I still use "old" trusty MWC NHA23 for complex video projects

Yes! Similar to the Altitude Baro and Z-accelerometer. Seems logic :roll: , so, implementation should not be that difficult? :mrgreen:

Just assembled a Wookong-M for a friend (need to fly it still...), but i am still... MWII ;)
manu

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

EOSBandi wrote:
e_lm_70 wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:

I'm here and listening.... :D

I'm working other personal projects and having a long vacation, but indeed I'm working on wp navigation too, and will have some publicly available code soon....

What else can you tell us?

Is going over atmega2560 board, or will be also for i2c gps module?

Which system are you planing to use for input waypoints?
MAV-link support ?

Thanks

2560 and i2cgps both will be supported (this is the main reason why it took long...)
Updated version of WinGUI will include the mission planner and wp uploader.
NO MAV-Link, just pure MSP.... will add full docu, so anti-MS guys can write their own mission planner.....

Excellent

I will then keep my few lines of hacking for multiwii UAV for my-self (for not confuse people) ... and I'm looking for your solution

Thanks

e_lm_70

alll

Post by alll »

Got the wookon maiden, mmm, really rock solid pos-hold on a 1m diagonal quad. I get the same gyro and level solidness with the multiwii, but the tuning of altitude and GPS is not there yet , at least not that easily as dji :roll:
I will sadly not have the machine anymore to test the mwii GPS.

But multiwii EXCEL in flying and reactivity (3D), really.

With DJI, the only thing you have to do is raise throttle, and activate switches, everybody can put these things in the air, boring... :|

manu
PS: eager to see the new GPS implementation.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

In case somebody want to have a more deep look of my hacked waypoint navigations, here I did post the full code:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3916

JDD

Post by JDD »

I'm new here but I've been a programmer for a while...

Is there any way we could just add a list of waypoints or single waypoint over Bluetooth or other telemetry radio?

I guess my end goal would be similar to dropping a pin on google maps, sending it to the copter and then having it execute similar to RTH when it got the new coordinates. Basically you could launch from in a field and tap the a specific location on satelite map view and it would fly to it and hold until the next command. TX inputs would always override.

I can make the iPhone app if there's a way to get the coords from the phone to the board.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

JDD wrote:I'm new here but I've been a programmer for a while...

Is there any way we could just add a list of waypoints or single waypoint over Bluetooth or other telemetry radio?

I guess my end goal would be similar to dropping a pin on google maps, sending it to the copter and then having it execute similar to RTH when it got the new coordinates. Basically you could launch from in a field and tap the a specific location on satelite map view and it would fly to it and hold until the next command. TX inputs would always override.

I can make the iPhone app if there's a way to get the coords from the phone to the board.

Just wait few weeks, and possibly EOSbandi will be ready with his code, and what you said will be possible.

For now, the best that you can do is documented here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3916
If you are a programmer you will have no issue to see and understand the little changes done for implements waypoints navigation on MultiWii 2.2

On the other side, do what you say, via bluetooth and/or a smartphone apps ... it is a bit more complicated.

In theory you can add a new command on the serial interface used by GUI, for set the GPS HOME location ... but then your copter will go to that location, and you will have to come back manually ...
So ... you definitely need more then this ... so wait for EOSbandi official implementation

If you can't wait ... as said ... check my code and my video for get an idea ... since you know where you want to send your copter, and since you can decide in advance from where you want to start the navigation ... I think my approach using relative coordinate it is more then adequate.

Only issue ... it is that each mission need few quick changes in the code, and a new resubmit over arduino ... not a big thing.

Clearly, I'm speaking of MultiWii on ATmega 2560 ... that have multiple serial port ... for 328 multiwii ... it is possible on paper, but it has much more limitations , and I did not cover much this on my experiments

Happy & Safe Flying

e_lm_70

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

e_lm_70 wrote:In theory you can add a new command on the serial interface used by GUI, for set the GPS HOME location ... but then your copter will go to that location, and you will have to come back manually ...
So ... you definitely need more then this ... so wait for EOSbandi official implementation

It's already possible via an update of GPS HOLD position:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPICiiaDTnc

as long as you can reach the multi via the smartphone via bluetooth, or with an extended radio system.
but what will come should be a more autonomous solution.

SkyrimDragon

Post by SkyrimDragon »

i3dm

Post by i3dm »

guys,

is there any waypoint navigation code that runs on a 328P board?

ezio

Post by ezio »

i3dm wrote:guys,

is there any waypoint navigation code that runs on a 328P board?

Nope