MSP_COMP_GPS direction, does it use MAG ?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
haydent

MSP_COMP_GPS direction, does it use MAG ?

Post by haydent »

Now i see it as an arrow in Minimosd, and ive been looking through the code to understand its behavior and tracing it back into mwc code.

Am i correct in thinking that it doesnt use the MAG for this calculation ? Why not ? Surely its better to use or have that option of using it to generate the latest bearing to home rather than relying on the gps ?

Particularly when flying multicopter and able to turn around on spot to 'look around' and i find the arrow not updating ? or is it just me...
Last edited by haydent on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Re: RTH direction, does it use MAG ?

Post by scrat »

For RTH you must use MAG.

haydent

Re: RTH direction, does it use MAG ?

Post by haydent »

sorry i should clarify, not when you activate RTH mode, i meant when flying around and there is a bearing generated by MWC to home, that is passed onto osd via serial and displayed as arrow to home... sorry.

haydent

Re: MSP_COMP_GPS direction, does it use MAG ?

Post by haydent »

i changed the title to MSP_COMP_GPS (the serial data including GPS_directionToHome)

haydent

Post by haydent »

ok i was mistaken, it does.

Mis

Post by Mis »

GPS_directionToHome is direction calculated only from position deviation. This NOT include current course from GPS nor copter orientation from MAG.
If you want display arrow to home on OSD you must use GPS_directionToHome together with MAG heading or GPS_Course.

haydent

Post by haydent »

yes, what i was saying is i tested it and if multiwii isnt doing it minimosd is, as i armed my quad with no motors away from house a bit, then brought it some meters inside to where my ground station was and then it was giving me a direction to home arrow, i then just turned it backwards and forwards around its yaw axis, as i did that the arrow updated at the same rate as the compass display.