$75 if you can write me some gimbal code :)

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
ed_jza80

$75 if you can write me some gimbal code :)

Post by ed_jza80 »

Heya guys,

Im a self-confessed programming retard, so i thought id throw out the offer of $75 to one of you if you can come up with some code to serve the following purpose:

Ive got a MWC functioning as a stand-alone gimbal controller. its a simple 2 axis gimbal, running x2 digital (non programmable) servos. the servos are 180deg capable (500-2500usec) but that whole range doesnt have to be used (particularly if stretching the MWC to a 500-2500usec range is difficult/impossible). so lets just say there a regular 1000-2000usec servo with 1500usec midpoint

I want to mount the MWC on the camera plate and i want it to stabilise 'itself' so to speak... just like a MWC controlling a hovering quad. consider a ' + ' form quad... 2 motors in roll, 2 motors in pitch. whilst hovering the MWCs output to the esc's is self regulated, aiming to keep itself (and the quad) level and stable.

Im after the same thing, but with only 2 outputs... it needs to stabilise itself on 2 axes, through x2 1000-2000usec outputs. it should function immediately from powering on (ie not requiring 'arming') and should not require any input from my radio receiver (although aux channel superimposed control could be a bonus, its definitely not a requirement). PID tuning for the 2 outputs would be great to fine tune the speed and aggressiveness of the output response.

Any takers? you can get me here, via PM, or by email : ed@v-eight.com

look forward to someone taking this on!

cheers!
Ed

PS- this isnt for anything commerical! Im not developing/selling anything, Im just a guy with a multi trying to get my gimbal to work better!
Last edited by ed_jza80 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Re: $75 if you can write me some gimbal code :)

Post by timecop »

You can spend 1/3 of that $75 on acronaze32 and you can stretch servos and do whatever else you want.

all the features you listed are available, without having to recompile, upload code, comment out #defines in obscure header files, or dealing with tarduino IDE etc.
Last edited by timecop on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicog

Post by nicog »

i can do it.

ed_jza80

Post by ed_jza80 »

do you know how hard it is to teach an old fart like me a new controller/software/hardware combo! MultiWii was already a headache!

so this acronaze... which ive never looked at... can do exactly what ive asked for above? reasonably simply, or requires a similar amount of code-hacking a retuning? - edit, you edited your post and answered all this -

ed_jza80

Post by ed_jza80 »

nicog - cheers :)

let me quickly look at this acronaze thing, and see how much of a headfuck im getting if i go in that direction.

timecop

Post by timecop »

so basically it needs to stabilise itself on 2 axes, through x2 1000-2000usec outputs.
[x] the servos are 180deg capable (500-2500usec)
[x] it should function immediately from powering on (ie not requiring 'arming')
[x] and should not require any input from my radio receiver
[x] (although aux channel superimposed control could be a bonus).
[x] PID tuning for the 2 outputs would be great to fine tune the speed and aggressiveness of the output response.
All these things are doable, there's 'CLI' where you interactively type stuff like:
"set gimbal_pitch_min=500" or "set gimbal_pitch_max=2000" and just save + reboot and new settings are taken.
same for gimbal gains, "set gimbal_pitch_gain=whatevernumber" and you can see the effect realtime as you wobble the stuff. when camstab is enabled, no arming is needed from receiver, it powers up ready to go. you can also allow "forwarding" aux channels from receiver to extra servo outputs (in PPM receiver mode) or you can use aux3/4 to control camera pan/tilt from transmitter... so yeah, pretty much everything on your list here.

When mounted on gimbal as opposed to frame, I think you just invert the gains?

ed_jza80

Post by ed_jza80 »

timecop - i did some rough reading (in german?!) and from what i can see, it still runing MW2.1, and youre suggesting to still set it up in 'cam stab' mode... which still requires manual tuning, ie for a given roll angle, you need to manually define a proportional factor to counter-roll.

what i want, is just like a MWC controlling a hovering quad. consider a ' + ' form quad. whilst hovering the MWCs output to the esc's is self regulated, aiming to keep itself (and the quad) level and stable. there is not 'proportion factor' required, as level is simply... level. the MWC regulates itself to achieve and sustain this. How aggressively it corrects disruptions you can tune, but the principle is that it holds itself steady without manual (or predefined) input.
Last edited by ed_jza80 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Sounds like nicog will be implementing that in baseflight then :)

ed_jza80

Post by ed_jza80 »

yep,

chatting with nicog about this at the moment.

yay, a new piece of hardware and firmware to get my head around! lol.. as long as it works i guess.

we'll see how it goes! thanks for your help :)

PS - where do i buy a arconaze32 - pref in Europe??