mobiDrone inteLi Power

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
MichalM_sk

mobiDrone inteLi Power

Post by MichalM_sk »

This is my new project for a copters powered from several batteries. It is a intelligent battery switcher whitch include support for 3 or more batteries.

Features:
- ON/OFF switch (it is no longer necessary disconnect your battery after flight)
- Measurement of voltage and current for each battery
- Switching between batteries during discharging:
> Automatic mode ( according to consumed voltage and current )
> Manual switch (local or remote controlled by RC)
- No parallel connection of batteries
- Buzzer for last Battery alarm
- Led signalisation
- Serial data monitoring
- FailSafe mode

HW is finished at the moment and I am working on FW.

timecop

Re: mobiDrone inteLi Power

Post by timecop »

Does it weigh less than 0.5kg?

MichalM_sk

Post by MichalM_sk »

timecop wrote:Does it weigh less than 0.5kg?

Hi,
good question but I'm sure that the weight is less than 100 g.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I'd be interested to know where you found relays capable of switching 50A+ current for < 100grams each :)

MichalM_sk

Post by MichalM_sk »

timecop wrote:I'd be interested to know where you found relays capable of switching 50A+ current for < 100grams each :)

Relays :), you are funny man :D ,but thank you for your interrest. Its based on BTS555 power switch .

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Sounds interesting. How do you plan to provide power to the copter during switching ? (according to datasheet,worst case scenario : 220uS to switch off batt1, 550uS to switch on batt2) You need a big capacitor........

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

EOSBandi wrote:Sounds interesting. How do you plan to provide power to the copter during switching ? (according to datasheet,worst case scenario : 220uS to switch off batt1, 550uS to switch on batt2) You need a big capacitor........

Personally, I power the electronics via the balance plug. That could be an option but I don't have a clue how Micheal is doing it.

MichalM_sk

Post by MichalM_sk »

EOSBandi wrote:Sounds interesting. How do you plan to provide power to the copter during switching ? (according to datasheet,worst case scenario : 220uS to switch off batt1, 550uS to switch on batt2) You need a big capacitor........

During switching two batteries will be connected simultaneously (very shor time) to prevent copter before power-hungry situation.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Micheal, please entertain this question, I don't understate the need to switch batteries that power the main motors if the batteries are wired Parallel.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

copterrichie wrote:Micheal, please entertain this question, I don't understate the need to switch batteries that power the main motors if the batteries are wired Parallel.

There is one possible benefit. You can use batteies with different capacities.
You can use different sized batteries in parallel anyway (assumed they have the same cell count) but you will get a quite significant penalty on the larger one.

I don't see any other benefits.

I would rather would like to see a device which measures and logs individual cell voltages during flight. So I can spot dying or defective cells before it impacts overall performance. (Think about a dual 6S setup, when you have to measure 12 cells)