Altitude Hold/Advanced Failsafe solutions by NHA

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Goetz

Re: Altitude Hold/Advanced Failsafe solutions by NHA

Post by Goetz »

I want to say thank you to nhadrian because thie is an yery serious feature, missing in MW (main branch). I tested it and it works as expected.... ...very good. Now I feel secured enough to fly on when the first alarm of my tx beeps...
New Users: keep in mind you have to test serveral things before, when coming home and/OR alt-hold and/OR hadfree dont work you cannot expect FS RTL works... but: It's a new, great possibility to save copters...
I hope this code gets integrated in 2.3...

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

^^
+1... This is ahead of (feature wise) the Baseflight Harakiri fork IMHO... keeping in mind this requires a bit more memory and hence doesn't work on mega328 or 32u4.. works on mega2560 (Crius AIO Pro v1.1 and v2).. anyone using it on Mega1280? Any other hardware this will run on?

Tazzy

Post by Tazzy »

+1 I want to say thank you to nhadrian because thie is an yery serious feature, missing in MW (main branch). I tested it and it works as expected.... ...very good.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I tested following feature of Multiwii NHA R23 patched like Felixrising suggested (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2965&start=190#p36124) in video below:

-Autoland with motor stop
-Gps position hold
-map navigation with smartphone on ez-gui
-GpS return to home (nav speed increased at 6m/s)
-altitude hold with vario mode

http://youtu.be/tx4oGC6LOBU

Thank you Multiwii team for such a good multirotor platform and especially Adrian for mwc R23 mod which include autoland and a good altitude vario mode. And ofcorse, thank you Ezio for amazing android EZ-GUI.
As Tazzy said, these safety features must be present in the next final release of Multiwii 2.3

dramida

Post by dramida »

Hi Adrian, this should be your next mood for multiwii, its so simple and useful as i couldnt belive i didnt tell this before:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3640&p=37056#p37056

See you soon.
/ Mihai

Tazzy

Post by Tazzy »

Dramida Nice demo on youtube nha version is so good :).
Is it possible that you uppload or link to the patched version ?

// Fredde

thebgrian

Post by thebgrian »

Looks great, Dramida (thanks to nhadrian for the great modifications).
Can you also post more details about your Bluetooth mods. The range you are getting is unbelievable for that standard. I understand you are using different antenna, how did you build it?

Leon11t

Post by Leon11t »

Hi Adrian. How about implement in your code a sonar. It will increase the accuracy of altitude hold on take off period.

Tvixen

Post by Tvixen »

Thank you Adrian for this lovely code. And offcouse the Multiwii team for all the test and good ideas.
But who is compiling all these nice things into a new multiwii "final release".

Skål /Tvixen

sorg

Post by sorg »

Is it foreseen to put these nice improvements in multiwii_shared ?

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

I think we'd have to put together some patches against current _shared, for each set of major changes:
1. PID controlled VARIO.
1a. AutoLand (leverages above)
2. Advanced Failsafe options

I know there is some resistance to doing something like RTH without any control input, with the philosophy that a failsafe should be as simple as possible (ie, put the craft down where it is as simply as possible), but in Australia it's a requirement when flying FPV under MAAA rules to have either a) spotter with buddy box or b) RTH Failsafe. Of course, being a MAAA member is totally optional, but if you want public liability its the best way to do it.

Kork123

Post by Kork123 »

I have read this thread but i have a few questions.
Can i just download and flash with the latest code from here and expect my quad to work as before just now with rth failsafe?
Do i have to do any coments or uncomments to make it work?
Im running multiwii pro w gps and simon k flashed esc's.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Kork123,

It is similar to the normal 2.2 with some additions, r1411 is the base version. You will need to read through config.h to sort out how to enable the failsafe features. Of course, it goes without saying that you need to configure, test and tune the failsafe dependancies you wish to leverage.. ie, PH, RTH, Alt Hold, Alt Vario, etc.

It's not entirely clear, but you should be able to work it out with some reading. Good luck!

Kork123

Post by Kork123 »

Ok thanks! I'll figure the config.h out :)

Kork123

Post by Kork123 »

hit verify in arduino and got this error:
MultiWii.ino: In function 'void loop()':
MultiWii:1624: error: 'GPSNavReset' was not declared in this scope
And line GPSNavReset = 0; was marked yellow.
How to fix and what is this error?

#if defined(FAILSAFE) && defined(FAILSAFE_RTH_MODE) && BARO // set the proper f.modes for RTH function
if (failsafe.active) { // after specified guard time after RC signal is lost (in 0.1sec)
if (f.ARMED) {
if (f.GPS_FIX && GPS_numSat >= 5) { //check if GPS is ready for RTH
switch (failsafe.confSet) { //first save the states and prepare to give control to RTH!
case 0:
failsafe.confSet = 1;
if (!f.GPS_HOME_MODE || f.GPS_HOLD_MODE) { //check if already in RTH or HOLD?
f.GPS_HOME_MODE = 1;
f.GPS_HOLD_MODE = 0;
#if defined(AUTOLAND) && defined(RTH_ALT_MODE)
f.AUTOLAND_MODE = 0;
#endif
GPSNavReset = 0;
#if defined(I2C_GPS)
GPS_I2C_command(I2C_GPS_COMMAND_START_NAV,0); //waypoint zero
#else // SERIAL
GPS_set_next_wp(&WP[HOME].Lat,&WP[HOME].Lon);
nav_mode = NAV_MODE_WP;
#endif
}
#if defined(FAILSAFE_RTH_DELAY)
failsafe.atHome = 0;

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Do you have GPS already configured and working? What FC and GPS combo do you have? Can you please post all of your config.h?

Kork123

Post by Kork123 »

I have multiwii pro w gps.
GPS Works on original multiwii 2.2. Never got to try thisone With failsafe since i got compile error.
GPS holds posision fine on 2.2 and comes home fine but after it comes home it flies off. Mag Decl is correst for my location.
Conf.h file is to long to be posted here.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi guys,

please be informed that I have finished with Multiwii, since the current development direction doesn't match my idea.
I'm testing other systems right now.

Please feel free to use any of my modifications.

I wish you all good luck on flying and have fun!!!

BR
Adrian

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Thanks Adrian! Your contributions have been a joy to use and very educational.

I hope we'll see you around from time to time, in the meantime, have fun flying and may you have many safe landings! ;)

Cheers!

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

I know, it's basically a Problem of MW r1379, not of the very good mod from Adrian here, but here seem to be the people taking risk serious, so i post it here:
I was using R22(1379) and experienced serveral times, that Motors spin up dramatically when arming with baro activated. Is this a known Problem and is it solved in R23(1411)?

I'm using PPM-Sum with Frsky on an Crius AIO (V1 and V2), Eprom was cleared before uploading.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Dude, don't arm and launch with baro activated.

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

Yes, I know, but I'm far from perfect and sometimes I forgot to check all switches on TX before arming...
I tought it would be an matter of safety (like many other Improvements of this Mod) and (in my easy Unerstanding of non-Coder-Head) I thought it would be easy to add an check of desired Baro-status before arming to avoid the upspinning motors...?

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

And what about those with 4ch-TX, just want to use nice variomode? No Chance because Baro must be set during flight...?

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

I think you just need to wait for baro to finish calibrating... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2371&hilit=baro+jump&start=540#p30018

krtek2k

Post by krtek2k »

I wanna thanks to Adrian too. R23 is THE BEST firmware to my Crius AIOP v1 , which i have loaded. Many of us in Czech republic agreed it in our forum rcmania.cz too. So Thank You for your work.

haydent

Post by haydent »

nhadrian wrote:Hi guys,

please be informed that I have finished with Multiwii, since the current development direction doesn't match my idea.
I'm testing other systems right now.

Please feel free to use any of my modifications.

I wish you all good luck on flying and have fun!!!

BR
Adrian

best wishes and thankyou ;)

haydent

Post by haydent »

nhadrian wrote:Hi Dramida,

I can't understand your question completely.

I like the current receiver failsafe code. The trigger is that any of first four channel drops under 980 us).
Most receivers have the same option (ie. Futaba FASST, FrSky, Graupner, etc. receivers all have a programmable failsafe option, that means receiver gives a pre-defined output on throttle channel when connection is lost).
But maybe also the RSSI could be used for that purpose, ie. if the RSSI signal is under 10% it goes to failsafe mode. I don't know how accurate the rssi output on a receiver is...
For Failsafe I suggest to use the FAILSAFE_RTH mode if GPS is available, and configure well the receiver output and failsafe mode.

So why there is an autoland feature in the failsafe routine?
Because maybe the connection error is caused not by distance but anything else (empty transmitter battery, etc), so even if the copter is back at the home position, the connection can't be restored. In that case copter will land to prevent any further crashes.

For normal flgiht, I strongly recommend to take off/land manually.

BR
Adrian

just in regard to all this, i only have fs on throttle channel. so to get mwc to trigger its fs i would have to set my futaba fs to something very low but then it will be not flying for short delay until fs mwc fs kicks in. i think it needs rssi failsafe trigger too, and i will code that fro myself and post it back here when done.

correct me if my assumptions about how this work are wrong ?

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

I think your assumption are incorrect. Normal MW failsafe routine still applies, Adrian's code simply extends the failsafe routine to perform a RTH/PH/Autoland. MW detects failsafe on any RC channel the moment signal descends below FAILSAFE_DETECT_TRESHOLD defined. You should configure your Rx to bring at least throttle channel to drop below this threshold when signal loss is detected (if your Rx has a failsafe mode).. otherwise there is also some detection of good pulse reception on throttle, yaw, pitch, and roll Rx input pins.. you'd have to review the code to see how it does that. Worth verifying failsafe works whilst on the bench with ESCs disconnected/props off first.

haydent

Post by haydent »

yes, after FAILSAFE_DELAY of below threshold it kicks in. in default 2.2 it is 1second, in NAH's it is .5sec so that long at min throttle is prob not a big deal
with futaba the good pulse thing doesnt apply as it just continues sending last good signal b4 loss.

thebgrian

Post by thebgrian »

Thank you, nhadrian for the great work. Sorry to see you leaving, it will be a loss for the multiwii community.

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

I want to say thank you once more. In my opinion you did an great thing for MW (at least for me).
There are tree questions open for me:

1) R23 ist the last Version, three Patches are supposed to be done (described some Posts before), the right MWConf has to be used. It would be very nice somebody putting this things together in an Zip and post it here.

2) Does this great "branch" of MW die now or is there someone capable and willing to go on with this until it is merged to main code?

3) On witch Platform we can see the further development of Adrian?

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Hi,

Some good questions.

Here is my own version, it's got the alex khoroshko PID loop by default (old loop is removed) and I've tweaked the vbat routine for a rctimer 50v/90i battery monitor. I've got it setup to run how I like it, so it does a failsafe RTH, and then Autoland at the altitudes and vario rates I prefer, you should *thoroughly* review these settings and verify they are good for you before using. I have it running on a Crius AIO pro with a ublox GPS on serial 2, minimosd on serial 3. You shouldn't have trouble with the MultiWiiConf GUI.

I hope this branch doesn't die. It's got some neat extras which belong in MultiWii imho, at least in some circumstances these failsafe extensions are a requirement to fly FPV with insurance cover. If a decent developer (I am just a script kiddie) would adopt NHAdrian's work and look at merging into the current _shared branch, that would be most welcome.

fabianabegglen

Post by fabianabegglen »

hi

i just decided to switch form my NAZA to the MultiWii PRO 2.0 Flight Controller w/ GPS Option FC.
I have a question:

There is the official code under: http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list where i can download the preconfigured HEX6 config for my F550 copter.
I am really interested in the return to home and autolanding feature, therefore i found the following "Altitude Hold/Advanced Failsafe solutions by NHA" which includes these cool features.

Unfortunately the "MultiWii_r1411_NHA_23 w alexk-vbat" config is for a quad and not a HEX like the "MultiWii_MEGA2_GPS_HEX6X" config.

1)
Is there a final sketch zip for a HEX6X with all the new features included? If no what i have to do, or how i have to merge it?
Even simpler, can i just use the code from "MultiWii_r1411_NHA_23 w alexk-vbat" and define a #define HEX6X and i am all set?

2)
Is the I2C speed necessary?,
why is it commented out in the "MultiWii_r1411_NHA_23 w alexk-vbat"
/********************************** I2C speed ************************************/
//#define I2C_SPEED 100000L //100kHz normal mode, this value must be used for a genuine WMP
//#define I2C_SPEED 400000L //400kHz fast mode, it works only with some WMP clones

and activated in the "MultiWii_MEGA2_GPS_HEX6X"

/********************************** I2C speed ************************************/
//#define I2C_SPEED 100000L //100kHz normal mode, this value must be used for a genuine WMP
#define I2C_SPEED 400000L //400kHz fast mode, it works only with some WMP clones

I have TBS (TeamBalckSheep) motors 900KV2 with DJI Opto 30A ESC's and a F550 frame

thanks for your help.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Hi fabianabegglen,

I suggest you move your question to the Getting Started - MultiWii config and setup part of the forum. Especially as you are new to MultiWii and most of your questions are beginners questions. I recommend you begin with the official release 2.2, learn to configure and tune your HEX with that first and then once you have a grasp on the basics of MultiWii, then experiment with other test/dev code.

A good starting place for configuring MultiWii for your setup is under "Building and Setup" in the wiki.

Good luck and have fun flying!

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

I have yet to try this firmware, but assuming it works, Adrian, will you marry me?
Seriously, this is everything I wanted from multiwii, and everything that should have been in there in the first place. Thank you very much!

fabianabegglen

Post by fabianabegglen »

Thx so far,
I am new in the multiwii business but definitely not in multiciopter in general. 8-)
You mean that i should upload the official 2.2 sketch preconfigured for my HEX. There is a RTH included. Right?
Does it mean that the copter will fly home when i would turn off my TX(failsafe), what happens next? It will hover in the homeposition for how long? Do i have to turn on the TX for landing it myself?

Back to my original question: In the MultiWii_r1411_NHA_23 w alexk-vbat can i just define it as a HEX instead a quad? is this all?

felixrising wrote:Hi fabianabegglen,

I suggest you move your question to the Getting Started - MultiWii config and setup part of the forum. Especially as you are new to MultiWii and most of your questions are beginners questions. I recommend you begin with the official release 2.2, learn to configure and tune your HEX with that first and then once you have a grasp on the basics of MultiWii, then experiment with other test/dev code.

A good starting place for configuring MultiWii for your setup is under "Building and Setup" in the wiki.

Good luck and have fun flying!

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

There is no failsafe RTH/PH/Autoland feature included in default 2.2, but 2.2 does do RTH and PH, Carefree (mag based heading hold), Alt Hold (bar0), Advanced Headfee (GPS + Mag). You will need to find the correct defines for your board type and yes 'HEX6X' as well. You can probably just set the #define I2C_SPEED 400000L for the example I uploaded, it already sets that for the board definition under def.h for my board, but that is by no means the norm and most likely the sensors change the I2C_SPEED anyway...

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

felixrising wrote:Hi,

Some good questions.

Here is my own version, it's got the alex khoroshko PID loop by default (old loop is removed) and I've tweaked the vbat routine for a rctimer 50v/90i battery monitor. I've got it setup to run how I like it, so it does a failsafe RTH, and then Autoland at the altitudes and vario rates I prefer, you should *thoroughly* review these settings and verify they are good for you before using. I have it running on a Crius AIO pro with a ublox GPS on serial 2, minimosd on serial 3. You shouldn't have trouble with the MultiWiiConf GUI.

I hope this branch doesn't die. It's got some neat extras which belong in MultiWii imho, at least in some circumstances these failsafe extensions are a requirement to fly FPV with insurance cover. If a decent developer (I am just a script kiddie) would adopt NHAdrian's work and look at merging into the current _shared branch, that would be most welcome.

Thank you for sharing, I'll have a look at it. I was running R22 already successull, so I think I can manage the adaption of your code to my copters.

And a bin +1 to " If a decent developer (I am just a script kiddie) would adopt NHAdrian's work and look at merging into the current _shared branch, that would be most welcome."...

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Quick queston; is this setting overriden:

Code: Select all

#define FAILSAFE_OFF_DELAY 1000                    // Time for Landing before motors stop in 0.1sec. 1 step = 0.1sec - 20sec in example

if FAILSAFE_RTH_MODE is active? Or will the quad fall out of the sky after 10 seconds of returning to home if I dont comment that out?

haydent

Post by haydent »

Back to my original question: In the MultiWii_r1411_NHA_23 w alexk-vbat can i just define it as a HEX instead a quad? is this all?

yes

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Vertigo, FAILSAFE_OFF_DELAY still applies as a upper safety threshold before motors are switched off. 1000 * 0.1 = 100 seconds... you may wish to tweak this depending on the distances you are planning to fly.. if your radio dies 4km out, you probably want a longer failsafe off delay. I suggested calculating distance to home and working out how long it would take to arrive with some extra margin for wind/etc.. however as some people have commented, a failsafe should be simple.. and this may be going against the KISS principle.

Tazzy

Post by Tazzy »

Goetz wrote:I want to say thank you once more. In my opinion you did an great thing for MW (at least for me).
There are tree questions open for me:

1) R23 ist the last Version, three Patches are supposed to be done (described some Posts before), the right MWConf has to be used. It would be very nice somebody putting this things together in an Zip and post it here.

2) Does this great "branch" of MW die now or is there someone capable and willing to go on with this until it is merged to main code?

3) On witch Platform we can see the further development of Adrian?

I can only agree with Goetz, Adrian made some exelente functions that keep me using and love multiwii ....
Is it possible to merge this to the main code so it dont stop now and here ?

Adrian Good luck with your new project and thanks for the best multiwii version so far and plz tell us where ya tok off ;)

//Tazzy

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi,

Right now I'm running ArduCopter in my custom TRI, works awesome, although proper PID setup takes a lot of time, it feels like ArduCopter has it's own "spirit"... :D

I'm concentrating on hardware improvements right now, this is my latest running project (pictures at the end):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965905

Good luck on merging my mods to _shared, I didn't succeed at Alex before... :(

BR
Adrian

dramida

Post by dramida »

Hi Adrian, your autoland feature saved my copter and probably the entire video project i was working. Suddenly, while filming on sea-side, flying between 2-4 floors buildings, my old RC remote (Hitec Eclipse) turned off unexpectedly and i was stunned how copter rised over the buildings and came back and landed on beach near me while i was struggling to figure out why the remote stopped.
I hope your autolanding feature will make it in main trunk asap, thank you.

And one more thing about Arducopter 3.0.1.
I encountered a vicious bug: If you programm the six position mode button as:

auto-auto-loiter-loiter-stable-stable

after completing the auto mission and remaining in loiter mode, when you rotate the mode potentiometer from auto to another auto twoards loiter witch is in the middle, the copter will re-ignite auto procedure in a buggy way and nav-roll and nav-pitch will go out of scale crushing your copter.

I have all the logs and videos of this event, with charts of navroll-navpitch compared to roll and pitch attitude

Any ideea where i should post those materials to be taken into consideration?

scrat

Post by scrat »

dramida

Post by dramida »

I had such a bitter experience the few last month with ArduCopter 3.0.1 controller. It has so many bugs that i decided to come back to Multiwii.
But the way, here is my last video using Multiwii tricopter :

http://youtu.be/LCJILN0AhHQ

Adrian, i saw you are also using arducopter, are you happy with it? I really need waypoint navigation for topography projects, i hope MWC will evolve to this stage soon. Meantime, what options with WP navi do we have?

krtek2k

Post by krtek2k »

Hallo , who want to see v 2.3 with nhadrian features like autolanding , and going home at the predefined altitude?
Me!! And who else? :)
But question is: Who will do it?
k

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

I would like to see it! I Think it is existentially, not only an option when you have an copter with fpv, cam and other expencive equipment. I definitely would immediately switch back to MW with an stable RTH on failsafe from Naza

Rust

Post by Rust »

Yes, it would be great if this add-on could be ported to MW 2.3.

robertha

Post by robertha »

In my opinion have fixed throtle as a failsafe is a bit pathetic - when wrongly set (weight change - different batery, without camera), the copter will either fall as a brick or fly away - depend just on weight to thrust ratio - think the NH vario descent is an absolute minimum for failsafe.