KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
kataventos

Re: KV Team Multiwii OSD

Post by kataventos »

Exhodus wrote:Hi Everone!

I came across a problem with the rushosd, that I cannot solve, or I rather say with the minimosd, as this likely be hardware related.
This minimosd board has freashly arrived, it supposed to be 1.1, it has the 5V mod done, so both the power and the ground pins are soldered to have the analog side running from the same voltage, it has never recieved 12V-os on the analog side!
The two status leds come up as solid red but I cant communicate with it via FTDI, the ST led does not flash arduino IDe says uploading, and it happens without an error message, but all without the ST led ever lighting up, which is very wierd. I can program it via UsbASP, the ST led is flashing during firmware upload as it should, but after that I'm dead in the water as the GUI is not able to communicate with it either. and if I plug it it just after flashing what I get is a black screen with some white lines moving up and down.

My ftdi is working, I have an another minimosd with a burnt OSD chip, but I can flash the atmel 328 and communicate with it from the GUI without an issue through ftdi.

The only thing that comes to my mind as a possible cause is that I rewrote the bootloader with an UsbASP becuse I had a wiring mess-up (switched the GRN with the TX) and I was getting constant out_of_sync messages, so I looked for a solution on google, since than I checked the fuses, and reburned the bootloader manually from avrdude just to be on the safe side that the arduino ide did not flash some incorrect version, but still the problem remains.

Hi Exhodus,

this thread is no longer giving updates, just trolling and bad judgment of hundreds of hours of work from an entire Team that made this code what it is now.
I suggest you to check here:

http://www.kvteamosd.com

You will find information about this open source project and about further ones.

If you choose to continue using this OSD and next 2.3 release please note:

To submit bugs - https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-deve ... ssues/list

For assistance - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/kv-team-osd

Sorry but this thread will be closed soon ;)

Have fun and fly safe.
Cheers,
-KV

1SQ

Post by 1SQ »

Can someone pls help me out here.

I just now hooking up my MINIMOSD from Witespy and followed the wiring diagram from the link that Witespy had listed.

Not sure if Witepsy's osd is plug and play without uploading firmware and setting up.

When everything is hooked, i can see on the monitor that the osd boots up and hangs up with this message " ARDUCAM OSD V2.0, WAITING FOR MAVLINK HEARTBEATS... Its stucked there and does nothing.

I tried this with my MULTIWII Pro EZ and Naze 32 with the same message on the monitor.

Pls help.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

1SQ wrote:Can someone pls help me out here.

I just now hooking up my MINIMOSD from Witespy and followed the wiring diagram from the link that Witespy had listed.

Not sure if Witepsy's osd is plug and play without uploading firmware and setting up.

When everything is hooked, i can see on the monitor that the osd boots up and hangs up with this message " ARDUCAM OSD V2.0, WAITING FOR MAVLINK HEARTBEATS... Its stucked there and does nothing.

I tried this with my MULTIWII Pro EZ and Naze 32 with the same message on the monitor.

Pls help.

Hi,

You need to install the correct software, the one you have installed will only work with MAVLINK protocol.

You can use the new 2.3 firmware by downloading a zip file here: http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... ource/list (NOTICE Download ZIP)
The 2.3 dev version is already good to use but still being updated before packaging (restructuring the code).

You can also use the 2.2dev downloadable here: http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... loads/list
The only big difference between them is that you will need to install processing to run the GUI instead of a executable file as normally you would use.

If you´r in doubt on how to install it please read the wiki carefully, it is already being updated (not finished) for the 2.3 dev that will be released soon: http://www.kvteamosd.com

Have fun and fly safe,
-KV

infotechsailor

Post by infotechsailor »

I saw mention of a trace that should be cut for older versions of the witespy board. What are the symptoms if this trace is not cut?

My issue is that I cannot get my main battery voltage on this board to read correct voltage. I can raise the divider in the kvosd 2.2 gui, but it will only let me raise it to 110.

This gets me closer to proper voltage but my 4s main battery is measuring by multimeter at 16.5, yet I can only get it to show about 10 or 11v. I need to raise this divider value beyond 110 but it won't let me.

My video battery (3s) is able to be calibrated correctly. I have wired the batt1/2 to the balance leads of my main/video batteries. I emailed Paul over at witespy but haven't heard back yet on this.

I also tried to find the kvgui 2.3 but I can't find the download link to the compiled version anywhere, only the sourcecode. I tried the MWOSD firmware on this board but had the same problem. I do like that MWOSD lets you adjust the dividers from within the OSD with my sticks though. That would be a nice feature for KVOSD if that is still being developed. I love KVOSD by the way. Can't express how nice it is to be able to use minimOSD with my MW fc.

I am willing to perform a cut of that trace but I first want to know if its necessary and/or if theres another fix to my issue. Thanks all for any help you can offer. --Josh

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

infotechsailor wrote:I saw mention of a trace that should be cut for older versions of the witespy board. What are the symptoms if this trace is not cut?

My issue is that I cannot get my main battery voltage on this board to read correct voltage. I can raise the divider in the kvosd 2.2 gui, but it will only let me raise it to 110.

This gets me closer to proper voltage but my 4s main battery is measuring by multimeter at 16.5, yet I can only get it to show about 10 or 11v. I need to raise this divider value beyond 110 but it won't let me.

My video battery (3s) is able to be calibrated correctly. I have wired the batt1/2 to the balance leads of my main/video batteries. I emailed Paul over at witespy but haven't heard back yet on this.

I also tried to find the kvgui 2.3 but I can't find the download link to the compiled version anywhere, only the sourcecode. I tried the MWOSD firmware on this board but had the same problem. I do like that MWOSD lets you adjust the dividers from within the OSD with my sticks though. That would be a nice feature for KVOSD if that is still being developed. I love KVOSD by the way. Can't express how nice it is to be able to use minimOSD with my MW fc.

I am willing to perform a cut of that trace but I first want to know if its necessary and/or if theres another fix to my issue. Thanks all for any help you can offer. --Josh

Trace must be cutted because this issue put in parallel the two battery voltage input pins.
Have you connected the two battery simultaneusly?
Try with only one batt input removing the second battery input, the normal divider value must be around 68. If this will give a correct indication you must cut the trace on the PCB.
If not, (you anyway must cut the PCB trace) may be there is a wrong divider resistor on the PCB, correct resistors (both for Main and video batt) must be 22K and 1.5K. Please check with a multimeter.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Hi devs. Sorry for asking. When you'll release v2.3 of kv-osd?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@Scrat and everyone else interested 8-)

Sorry for late reply but have been very busy lately. http://www.skyscan.pt

As for the 2.3dev, you can go and download it already (project main page).

Hope you all have lot´s of fun with it.

Fly safe,
-KV

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I've just tried version 2.3. I can't get any of the changes i make using the GUI to save which is stopping me from using the OSD as I can't configure it.

Previous versions worked fine.

int77

Post by int77 »

teslahed wrote:I've just tried version 2.3. I can't get any of the changes i make using the GUI to save which is stopping me from using the OSD as I can't configure it.

Hi teslahead,

Thanks for testing the code.

Could you please give more details about your system and observed behavior? Will be nice if you can post GUI screenshot just after the very first connection.
Just in case: have your performed EEPROM clear before uploading OSD code? Are-you using GUI included with 2.3 package?

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Hi folks. Just want to express my thanx to KVTeam for making this great OSD.

I've used it on my RD230 Mini H-Quad from fpv-reccon and all the function n informations that I needed works great for me so far.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

teslahed wrote:I've just tried version 2.3. I can't get any of the changes i make using the GUI to save which is stopping me from using the OSD as I can't configure it.

Hi Teslahed,
as INT77 said we need some more info here, my prior release tests were 100% OK :( anyway we will continue to fix it until last bug.

-KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

kaysee wrote:Hi folks. Just want to express my thanx to KVTeam for making this great OSD.

I've used it on my RD230 Mini H-Quad from fpv-reccon and all the function n informations that I needed works great for me so far.

YES SIR... that is some serious flying :D thanks for sharing. (commented on your video) Was that supposed to be a wave at the end :lol: NICE

I noticed that your MAX distance and altitude were zero at the end of the flight... something is not right! Will dig tomorrow.

-KV

PS: what are you running n your FCBoard???

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@Kaysee

OK, I see that you are using NAZE32... I removed the BOXNAMES from the code, that´s probably why... some functions will not be available until a new NAZE code review :(
We are only using BOXIDS on the HUD also. Sorry for the inconvenient :roll:

-KV

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Sorry for the late reply. Thanx KV. That at the end, they called it mini hex buttsex LOL! As for the bugs I didnt noticed that myself, as I'm only interested in the max speed clocked. I'm using it with AcroNaze32 rev5 with the latest release frm Jun (i think :)). But as far as i concern this is good enough. Good job guys. If I've not mistaken, you said something about new HUD coming ;)

scrat

Post by scrat »

kataventos wrote:@Kaysee

OK, I see that you are using NAZE32... I removed the BOXNAMES from the code, that´s probably why... some functions will not be available until a new NAZE code review :(

-KV

Hi. So there will be no BOXNAMES anymore?

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

GREAT release 2.3 :)

but i cannot get Ampere to show correctly
What am i doing wrong
I don't really understand the sensitivity settings
I should see something around .2 to .4 A when it is juts standing there due to all the gear running cam VTX, FC, etc ..
but when i fly i get really wild reading .....nowhere near correct
I have a APM power module and don't really know how to set he GUI so it reads correctly ...

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

scrat wrote:

-KV

HiScrat,
Well I think we could add it again but... why exactly? Probably just because of NAZE, I do not see any issue with Multiwii code :(
Do you think that BOXIDS will be fully added on next "NAZE" revision?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Olddude wrote:but i cannot get Ampere to show correctly
What am i doing wrong ...

Hi Olddude,
please see wiki carefully here: http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... g_Tutorial
There will be no doubts after. If not, please ask what is not so explicit.

To conclude your settings on GUI please read here:
http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... structions

This will definitely help you, everything is explained the best we can ;)

-KV

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

Yes TY:)

but i read this page a hundred times now

Sensor sensitivity Typically is 20mV/A or 40mV/A. This info must be on sensor data sheet.

This bit i don't know ?
that was my question .
I have APM power module with he BEC I
In the 2.3 gui the value can be set from 0 - 60?

So does that mean the value is equal to mV/A
And i have to try all 60 steps to see what might look right ?

thanks for the effort to explain but iam still kinda lost on this

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Olddude wrote:Yes TY:)

but i read this page a hundred times now

Sensor sensitivity Typically is 20mV/A or 40mV/A. This info must be on sensor data sheet.

This bit i don't know ?
that was my question .
I have APM power module with he BEC I
In the 2.3 gui the value can be set from 0 - 60?

So does that mean the value is equal to mV/A
And i have to try all 60 steps to see what might look right ?

thanks for the effort to explain but iam still kinda lost on this

Hi olddude,
let me know further details about APM power module with current sensor so I can take a look (or try to guess) the good setup for you.
Bye
Carlo

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

Thank a lot Carlo
i believe its this

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... Cable.html

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Olddude,

OK, this is an example that everyone should probably find easy to use in order to check if sensor is OK and fine tuned on GUI:
- tune the sensitivity according the sensor´s manual;
- then put it most possible close to zero (more like 0.4/0.5 in my case and after this example, remember that your FPV gear is also draining (e.g) camera, AVTX, UBEC, FC, OSD itself, even motors off, LED´s, etc) by adjusting offset high;
My sensor is a ALLLEGRO756 100B (20mv sensitivity if I remember correctly...)
- Next, use a car lamp (12v 20wats) draining from a 3s lipo passing thru the sensor (live video OSD);
So, 20wats lamp with 12volts input should give you aprox 1.7amps on screen. If not adjust sensitivity accordingly until you find exactly what math says that should be on screen...

Of course that this is just an example, you can use other type of "lamps" :lol:

At the end you should compare your (after flight) battery drained current with the amount of current needed to recharge it again (remember that your charger is not 100% reliable also ;) anyway, you should find that difference is very small (if everything is as it should).

Cheers,
-KV

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

Hi KV
thanks for the explanation
Problem is i fail at your 1st instruction already :(

I have no idea what the sensitivity is or where I can find a Data Sheet
I have posted my Power module and its from HK I dont think I ll find much in the way of a Datasheet from Hobbyking ?

Also , once i would have this info you ask then to change the offset HIGH accordingly to what my amp draw is in idle ( only VHTX RX etc etc )
Well this also is kinda ambiguous . What you mean adjust ? the High offset has 3 steps only 0,1,2 ?

scrat

Post by scrat »

kataventos wrote:
scrat wrote:

-KV

HiScrat,
Well I think we could add it again but... why exactly? Probably just because of NAZE, I do not see any issue with Multiwii code :(

We must ask mr. TC :)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@Olddude

OK, I explained myself less correctly on that point...

So, here is how it goes:
High and low bytes maybe seem confusing at first but this was the way we found to have the needed resolution.

- after setting the sensitivity and finding if your sensor is UNI or BI directional you will need to;
a) if UNIDIRECT set the High byte to zero. To adjust OFFSET finding "zero" amps on screen you will need to adjust LOW byte starting from zero (adjust and save) 1 point at a time (if the difference is small). Remember to save all the time until you find what you need (+-zero).

b) if BIDIRECT which is a little more difficult to understand but equally easy to set when understood the concept of HIGH and LOW bytes. Set the High byte to (2) and LOW byte to zero verify and adjust/save LOW byte the same way as described before one or two steps at a time. If your current is not going toward zero on screen, (remember that it could be negative also but you don´t see it negative...) you will see the same in both situations... so the best is to go with "baby" steps (again one or two steps per try/save)... anyway, if you are not seeing it decreasing this means that offset is to high, in this case you will need to adjust HIGH byte to (1) and start again with LOW byte from 255 (which is now equal to ZERO) and backwards point at a time until you find zero amps on screen.

If this steps don´t reproduce good results, I would say that something is wrong with the hardware/connections :(
Double check your setup.

Cheers,
-KV

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Olddude wrote:Hi KV
thanks for the explanation
Problem is i fail at your 1st instruction already :(

I have no idea what the sensitivity is or where I can find a Data Sheet
I have posted my Power module and its from HK I dont think I ll find much in the way of a Datasheet from Hobbyking ?

Also , once i would have this info you ask then to change the offset HIGH accordingly to what my amp draw is in idle ( only VHTX RX etc etc )
Well this also is kinda ambiguous . What you mean adjust ? the High offset has 3 steps only 0,1,2 ?

Hi olddude,
what KV is saying is perfect and I want add that I gave a look at your bec and (of course) I've not found infos...
That BEC uses a LOW RESISTOR VOLTAGE DROP method and then an OpAmp to amplify that low V drop, What we are introduced in KV-OSD is to simplify the OSD current indicator setup when we use a HALL EFFECT CURRENT SENSOR.
Anyway this is usable also for all sensors as the cals are the same and do this:
a) Set Offset H and Offset L both =0 (I assume this sensor is Unidirectional)
b) Start with Sensitivity=50 (mV/A ???)
c) Try to find the right current indication only changing sensitivity icreasing/decreasing it. This step give best result if the test current is around at least at 2,3,4,5 or more Amps.
d) If all OK, the Offset Low must be set to reach zero amp with no load (zero current) use this with care and only few units (1,2 or 3 max) (I set it always=0). After set it, check again the sensitivity value and adjust if necessary.
Bye
Let us know

int77

Post by int77 »

Hi Olddude,

Looks like your sensor is APM powermeter module by 3DRobotics https://store.3drobotics.com/products/apm-power-module-with-xt60-connectors

As Carlo said, it is based on shunt resistor method using INA169 current shunt monitor component.

Based on the schematics available on 3Drobotics site, current sensitivity could be ~28 mV/A.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

THANKS a lot guys
I might actually have a working settup

This gives me around 0.4A for just running all the gear I have on and that looks about right to me .
What i learned is that if i move up now to 9 or lower on 7 the amp increases. So i assume this 8 must be right. I get the lowest consumption and it looks about right at .4A
Any change to Offset Low , up or down and the Ampere count goes up

I spun the motors up without props just for a second and it went to around 6 -7 amp ..
So far so good, tomorrow i fly ..
See what i get out of 1400mah ..See if it counts right :)
I always have the NAZE32 bat alert that works spot on but this now looks promising
'
Thanks again
Really appreciate the help

8-)

scrat

Post by scrat »

kataventos wrote:
scrat wrote:

-KV

HiScrat,

Hey kataventos.

Is this ok? Please check TC's answer: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1947&p=53238#p53214

TC's answer:

"Huh? I have no fucking idea what that means.
My code implements MSP_BOXIDS and MSP_STATUS stuff (correctly): https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... ial.c#L377"

Thanks!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Scrat,
sure!
In that case don´t have a clue... no one on the Team flies baseflight at this time (as far as I know).
I can take a look to TC code ASAP (lot´s of work here at this time sorry :( )

Meantime you can probably help on this since you are flying it...
Can you try to install OSD correctly and point us exactly what functions are not talking with the FCB?

This will definitely reduce us the amount of time looking to the baseflight/OSD codes.

Cheers

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@Olddude,
good to know that you manage to get it working properly.
Don´t forget to give us an update as soon as your able to fly it :)

NOTE: If you have difference at the end of the flight and after recharge your batt I would recommend the easy step where you use the lamp to tune sensitivity which is already very close for sure.
That´s the only thing that crosses my mind at this time, in fact I always use the same lamp to tune mine and my friends Multirotors always with accurate results... (probably something to do with the lamp itself :lol:) I will try not to break it!

Cheers,
-KV

timecop

Post by timecop »

-KV

latest firmware build I uploaded does "same" for BOXIDS as multiwii (theoretically).
See if that fixes it.

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

right , i had a few flights today
and it doesn't look good :( its still out
I would say almost exactly by 100% too much
I put back in between 1000 and 1100 and the count was every time well over 2200 mah

Also the hover AMP reading ws 24 - 28 AMP that's not right either

Soooooo question now is what do i change
just double Sensitivity from 28 and stick it on 60 ?

int77

Post by int77 »

Hi Olddude,
Yes, try to play around 56mV/A.
28mV/A has been calculated based on the schematics published on 3DRobotics site; probably on your clone some components were changed. APM power module sensitivity is strongly depending on used shunt resistor and load resistor values.

BTW, which model are-you flying (type and weight)? How long was the flight time to consume 1100 mAh?

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

Oh yes.

i think its almost there
1100mah is about 6.30 on my mini quad .
So I doubled it to 60 .which is max, and now its a tiny bit too high. It said 1100 and really charged just about 1000
So one more step and it should be spot on.
Cant test now its too windy . Will report back

Once i done this correct I probably end up not using it anyway :)
i have a buzzer and VBAT feature on NAZE32 . Really all i need to fly my mini:)

mike105105

Post by mike105105 »

I would keep it like that, better to think you have slightly less battery than you really do for safety just like a cars gas tank or setting your watch 5 min fast lol.

Mike

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Olddude wrote:Oh yes.

i think its almost there
1100mah is about 6.30 on my mini quad .
So I doubled it to 60 .which is max, and now its a tiny bit too high. It said 1100 and really charged just about 1000
So one more step and it should be spot on.
Cant test now its too windy . Will report back

OK thanks for testing Olddude,
sensitivity range will be higher on 2.3rev_1 to be even more sensors compatible in future.

Now some questions:
1- are you using compass/heading enabled, do you have any issue with armed/disarmed appearing on screen during flight?
2- what baseflight rev. are you using?
3- do you have statistics nicely displayed at the end of the flight?

If you have any problem I would ask you to try last baseflight dev version!

Thanks.

Cheers,
-KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

timecop wrote:

-KV

latest firmware build I uploaded does "same" for BOXIDS as multiwii (theoretically).
See if that fixes it.

OK TC thanks.
@Kaysee
Can you please try that out for us?

Thanks.
Cheers,
-KV

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

kataventos wrote:
timecop wrote:

-KV

See if that fixes it.

OK TC thanks.
@Kaysee
Can you please try that out for us?

Thanks.
Cheers,
-KV

OK. I will give this a try later.

BTW does anyone getting this problem? Or is it just me. The osd tend to hang or restart if i scroll left for positioning information on the screen (see video).
KVTOSD 2.3 Minim 1.0
Acronaze32 April 14

timecop

Post by timecop »

april 14??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

timecop wrote:april 14??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Lol... my bad. Baseflight Apr 30 2014.

timecop

Post by timecop »

thats still old as shit, its july 14th now, and there has been tons of releases since that time as well. you should probably upgrade. like, immediately.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Hahaha... i know i know. Done upgrading to new release right after my reply. As u once said, 'if it flies, dont fuck wit it'. So i didnt as it serve me well :)

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

The osd tend to hang or restart

i have the exact same in 2.3 KVteamosd
It happens when i scroll past a certain item in the position screen (cant remember which i think the last LOL )
Just dont do it and all is good. U only need to change the positioning once then u hardly ever in that menu anyway
So i dont mind but i think its a bug in the oSD software

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

@Olddude
I agreed. It's still works fine. But maybe KV wants to look into it.

@KV@TC

Seems like the max altitude n distance still didn't show.

KVTeam-Osd 2.3 with some layout change since last video.
Attachment:- My settings in the GUI.
Hardware:-
AcroNaze32 Rev5 Orange with Afro32 CLI version 2.2 Jul 12 2014 / 09:03:13
MinimOSD - http://www.goodluckbuy.com/on-screen-di ... apm-2.html
GPS - http://www.goodluckbuy.com/crius-cn-06- ... odule.html

Attachments
untitled.JPG

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

kaysee wrote:.....
@KV@TC

Seems like the max altitude n distance still didn't show.

Hi kaysee,
I saw this and its not a true issue but we can fix it.
Now the max altitude and max distance wil be calculate and shown if these are enabled (diplay=On) in page 8 of OSD menu.

Try it.
Bye
Carlo.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Thanx carlonb. I am fine without it. I did thought that might solve it. Going to try it on my next session.

carlonb

Re:

Post by carlonb »

kaysee wrote:Thanx carlonb. I am fine without it. I did thought that might solve it. Going to try it on my next session.

OK no problem,
anyway we have fixed it and also fixed the crash when scrolling the items in page 8 of the OSD menu.
The update will be released soon.
Cheers
Carlo

Olddude

Post by Olddude »

my current sensing is kinda working
Its almost accurate now
I set it to 58 and offset high 8

and this seems to kinda work for the sensor i use.

other question
I thought NAZe32 board has now more UARTS and i can connect the Naze32 to PC and have the MINIMOSD connected but for me this still dont work ?
Anyone knows ? I have to disconnect to successfully connect NAZE32 to PC

timecop

Post by timecop »

Correct, that's how it works.