KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download

Re: SW Development on Minim Osd

Postby disq » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Any plans to make it compatible with FrSky telemetry data? ie. connect a single wire from a flight controller (MultiWii with frsky patch, Baseflight, etc) to both the RX and OSD and get the data on both using a single serial connection on the FC side.

Of course that would mean removing all the MSP code and fitting in a FrSky parser there instead. (FrSky's inverted serial requirement (which sucks) could be ignored, as there are usually places to get the not-inverted signal from the FC, or maybe just before the ttl inverter)
disq

Postby rbirdie001 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi guys,
first I want to thank to all developers because this OSD is really GREAT! Today I practised FPV flying (I'm just beginner in it) and OSD worked perfectly!
OK, almost perfectly, because speed measurement was obviously incorrect - I guess that OSD was displaying just 10% of real speed. You can look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCRTDU-kUM
At about 0:50 I'm passing tractor which is going about 10km/h but OSD shows speed 1-2km/h and at about 2:17 I'm flying at about 40km/h (90m in 8 secs) but OSD shows just 4km/h. I'm using unmodified MWC 2.2 and OSD r370 with just this modification for correct RSSI readout: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918&start=600#p41493 but nothing else touched.
For me it looks like just missing *10 in calcualtion.
Is it known problem, or I'm again first? ;)
Thanks!
Roman
Edit: Maybe important info: I'm using external I2C GPS on Promini board so in case it works OK for other people who use Mega boards and serial GPS and not for me, then it could be problem of MW 2.2 interpretation of speed from I2C GPS. I'll test it over GUI...
Roman
rbirdie001

Postby jevermeister » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 am

Hi,
last year I bought a Mobidrone OSD but the develepment seems dead, I managed to keep it working by hacking into the Multiwii MSP after each update but this and the hardware is a real pain.

Would you guys recommend to switch to MinimOSD or is it possible to run this software on a mobidrone OSD?
I like the layout of the Mobidrone OSD but configuring is like solving a puzzle and flashing is really complicated and dangerous.

Additionally: I read out Current sensor and Height via Multwii ist this possible via this OSD too? I cannot get a clue from the FAQs and guides.

ps.: I like that GUI - nice work!

Nils
jevermeister

Postby carlonb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:09 am

@ rbirdie001,
I'm using Mega board and a serial GPS unit, so I've no issues wirh the speed indication. I saw your vid and I can confirm you have a problem may be with I2c GPS.
Pls verify and let' us know.

@ jevermeister,
Mobidrone H/W is not compatible with MinimOSD H/W. Mobidrone do not use the MAX video chip.
KV_Team_OSD with MinimOSD H/W is perfectly compatible with MWii :D

Bye
Carlo
carlonb

Postby jevermeister » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,
just ordered a minim 1.1.

Is there a guide for the newest OSD dev, the guide provided in the Wiki seems to be outdated.
I just played around with the newest GUI but some items are not displayed in the example screen even if I activate them (note: no hardware attached yet)

Last Question: Is baro altitude used via MW Protocol If there is no GPS data present? I believe I saw a part in the code where Baro Altitude is used (mwaltitude).

I am looking forward to test this OSD. I loved my Mobidrone with my customizations like mAh Counter and stuff but it is time to upgrade to better software I believe.

Nils
jevermeister

Postby carlonb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:23 pm

@jevermeister,

Hi Nils,
About Baro, yes I can confirm that baro altitude is coming from FC also if no GPS is available.

Almost all data on OSD display are coming from MWii FC, but a dedicated video cam battery volt level (if used) is managed by OSD H/W and S/W.
Optionally it's forseen to manage RSSI or Main Vbatt or mAh consumed also directly from OSD H/W but at this momento MinimOSD has not exposed these pins and you need to solder on the AT chip pins directly (not so easy).
I know in the very near future there wil be available a new OSD H/W (JDrones and Witespy) where we can found more new input pin/connector and this will make the life easy :)

Bye, Carlo
carlonb

Postby jevermeister » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi,
thank you for that clear statement, now I am even more looking forward because I have all features I needed to hack into that mobidrone!

As I power Cam and FPV TX with same 12V 3s Lipo as my FC I do not have to do the 12V mod, right?

I only need to power the FPV TX with 12V and the OSD routes 12V and GND to the cam (The TX has 12 Supplied to the cam Pinout if you connect a cam directly)?
Nils
jevermeister

Postby rbirdie001 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:43 pm

rbirdie001 wrote:Hi guys,
first I want to thank to all developers because this OSD is really GREAT! Today I practised FPV flying (I'm just beginner in it) and OSD worked perfectly!
OK, almost perfectly, because speed measurement was obviously incorrect - I guess that OSD was displaying just 10% of real speed. You can look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCRTDU-kUM
At about 0:50 I'm passing tractor which is going about 10km/h but OSD shows speed 1-2km/h and at about 2:17 I'm flying at about 40km/h (90m in 8 secs) but OSD shows just 4km/h. I'm using unmodified MWC 2.2 and OSD r370 with just this modification for correct RSSI readout: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918&start=600#p41493 but nothing else touched.
For me it looks like just missing *10 in calcualtion.
Is it known problem, or I'm again first? ;)
Thanks!
Roman
Edit: Maybe important info: I'm using external I2C GPS on Promini board so in case it works OK for other people who use Mega boards and serial GPS and not for me, then it could be problem of MW 2.2 interpretation of speed from I2C GPS. I'll test it over GUI...
Roman

Hi!
I looked closer at the problem and it's even more funny:
When I connect my tricopter to laptop and try to read speed in GUI, it measures also wrong, but not 10 times less (like OSD) but approx 2.5 times more! :o than the real speed in km/h is.
(I took it into the car and measured during driving.)
I don't know which units should GUI show (km/h, m/s, mph, knots...), but I can't see any logic in it. More it looks like mistake between I2C NAV module and MWC (probably) or MWC and GUI.
I also found probable reason of my bad speed measurement on Minim OSD: in I2C_GPS_NAV_v2_2 on the line 724 there is:
Code: Select all
case 7: i2c_dataset.ground_speed = (atof(string)*0.5144444)*10;      //convert to m/s*100

This is obviously conversion from knots to cm/s but if there isn't something special I missed, it seems to be wrong because 1kt is 51.44444 cm/s.
I'll try to modify it and test tomorrow with OSD but still I wonder what value GUI should show...
Regards
Roman
rbirdie001

Postby ezio » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Speed that comes from multiwii protocol is in cm/s
ezio

Postby IceWind » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi,

is there an option to disable the AHI?
I looked in the config file as well as in the GUI but I can't find it.

Thanks.
IceWind

Postby carlonb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 pm

@rbirdie001,
Hi Roman,
Please investigate on that and also, if is possible, please verify if the arrow home indicator on OSD is correct or is 180° reverted because a friend of mine as this issue.
About MWii data I can confirm that on MSP the speed is transmitted as cm/sec.
On actual KV Team OSD all data shown are selectable from GUI in Metric or Imperial units (example the speed may be in Km/h or miles/h, the baro or GPS altitude may be in mt or in feet).
Cheers
Carlo
carlonb

Postby rbirdie001 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:00 pm

carlonb wrote:@rbirdie001,
Hi Roman,
Please investigate on that and also, if is possible, please verify if the arrow home indicator on OSD is correct or is 180° reverted because a friend of mine as this issue.
About MWii data I can confirm that on MSP the speed is transmitted as cm/sec.
On actual KV Team OSD all data shown are selectable from GUI in Metric or Imperial units (example the speed may be in Km/h or miles/h, the baro or GPS altitude may be in mt or in feet).
Cheers
Carlo

Hi carlo,
I already uploaded modified code into I2C GPS NAV and tomorrow I'm going to test it.
Regarding the home arrow in the Minim OSD I think it works perfectly!
You can look again at my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCRTDU-kUM
At 0:22 I'm flying away from home and arow shows back.
At 2:03 I rotated standing copter (rotation ended looking towards home) and arrow followed nicely.
At 2:20 I was flying fast towards home and arrow showed to front.
Conclusion: It works as it should, seems to compare angle to home with the copter front direction (MAG sensor), not with movement vector. (Am I right? I didn't test what arrow does if flying backwards... :D )
Roman
rbirdie001

Postby rbirdie001 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi,
so today I was driving in the car with Multiwii on the pasenger seat and it's confirmed: Wrong (/10) speeed measurement on the OSD from I2C GPS is caused by small mistake in I2C_GPS_NAV_v2_2.ino, line 724
    case 7: i2c_dataset.ground_speed = (atof(string)*0.5144444)*10;      //convert to m/s*100

It can be easily corrected just changing *10 to *100.
Minim OSD is simply perfect! :D
Roman
rbirdie001

Postby carlonb » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:22 pm

rbirdie001 wrote:Hi,
so today I was driving in the car with Multiwii on the pasenger seat and it's confirmed: Wrong (/10) speeed measurement on the OSD from I2C GPS is caused by small mistake in I2C_GPS_NAV_v2_2.ino, line 724

It can be easily corrected just changing *10 to *100.
Minim OSD is simply perfect! :D
Roman

Nice to see you happy!
Good catch, hope this will be helpull for other I2C GPS users.
Seems that the creator of this sketch (Eosbandi) no more support this, I hope him can update it.

Bye
Carlo
carlonb

Postby kataventos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 am

@Carlo

wasn´t this you were asking me by email yesterday? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918&start=580#p41261

Anyway, let´s wait for it to arrive.
-KV

PS: sent you email today. BTW the FTDI arrives tomorrow (I hope) :evil:
kataventos

Postby kataventos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 am

IceWind wrote:Hi,

is there an option to disable the AHI?
I looked in the config file as well as in the GUI but I can't find it.

Thanks.

...In Portuguese or English :?
AH can be easily turned on or off using a TX switch. Visible on MWii GUI but you also need to set it up on config.h.

-KV
kataventos

Postby kataventos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:09 am

rbirdie001 wrote:Conclusion: It works as it should, seems to compare angle to home with the copter front direction (MAG sensor), not with movement vector. (Am I right? I didn't test what arrow does if flying backwards... :D )
Roman

Yes, that is why some were having problems with it in past. Just remember that for accuracy you need it to be on a clean environment far from ESC´s and other magnetic fields. Some other flight controllers (not mentioning any brands) have it far from everything close to the GPS antenna.

-KV
kataventos

Postby IceWind » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:42 pm

kataventos wrote:...In Portuguese or English :?
AH can be easily turned on or off using a TX switch. Visible on MWii GUI but you also need to set it up on config.h.

-KV

Tanto faz! ;)

True, but it also hides the coordinates. I'd like to have those visible at all times just in case. :)
I'm judging by the comments in the code as I haven't tried as I have no spare channelsto use.

Thanks!
IceWind

Postby hinkel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:10 am

Hi!

These days i use the minimosd with Kvteamosd r345 on Naze32 rev4 with Harakiri SG2.5 and it works fine, so i have
a noob question . I can not utilise the BOX_OSD_SWITCH or LLIGHT switch to hide AH, side bars, and coordinates.
Seems not in the Harakiri SG2.5 Code.
Could some one be successful by this issue without changing Harakiri code ?

Second noob question how to change the config.h from r370 for matching with Harakiri SG2.5 Code ?

Greetings
hinkel

Postby kataventos » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:28 pm

@Hinkel
unfortunately it is the Harakiri code that needs to be upgraded, nothing to do on the OSD code regarding that particular issue.
Try to contact the developers asking them if they can port this, and you will be OK.

Have fun, fly safe.
Cheers,
-KV
kataventos

Postby hinkel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 am

@Kataventos

You are right , so I add this "OSD SW" to Harakiri SG2.5 code, and WOW now KVOSD fIrmware r345 match complet with SG2.5. :D
Thanks you for your help and for this great OSD ! :)

Best Regards
hinkel

hinkel

Postby hinkel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:57 pm

hinkel wrote:Second noob question how to change the config.h from r370 for matching with Harakiri SG2.5 Code ?

Hi !
To answer my noob question , just have to add this line
#define USE_BOXNAMES              // Comment this line to use BOXIDS

in config.h from r370 , This was not a Harakiri SG2.5 Code issue !

Regards
Hinkel
hinkel

Postby rbirdie001 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi guys,
another trouble with RSSI reading:
I had to stop using RSSI reading from MW (I use so many functions on my 328P board that MW 2.3 crashes so I had to disable something). I need to read RSSI like analog voltage 0.8-1.6V directly by OSD ADC. I soldered wire with 1K resistor to pin A3 (as shown in hardware mods) , reloaded with unmodified r370 (so I reverted mods previously done for correct reading over MW as discussed here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918&start=600#p41460) and configured like this:
rssi_cfg.png
My configuration
(8.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have shown RSSI value on the screen, but it's obviously wrong. I'm getting RSSI RAW ADC value 109 for 1V and 110 for 5V. Am I missing something important?
Thanks Roman
rbirdie001

Postby carlonb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:47 am

rbirdie001 wrote:Hi guys,
another trouble with RSSI reading:
I had to stop using RSSI reading from MW (I use so many functions on my 328P board that MW 2.3 crashes so I had to disable something). I need to read RSSI like analog voltage 0.8-1.6V directly by OSD ADC. I soldered wire with 1K resistor to pin A3 (as shown in hardware mods) , reloaded with unmodified r370 (so I reverted mods previously done for correct reading over MW as discussed here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918&start=600#p41460) and configured like this:
rssi_cfg.png
I have shown RSSI value on the screen, but it's obviously wrong. I'm getting RSSI RAW ADC value 109 for 1V and 110 for 5V. Am I missing something important?
Thanks Roman

Hi Roman,
Your setup is correct,
I verified the code and it's OK for me, If you have 1V rssi signal input, the RSSI RAWADC must be around 100. Are you sure you have 1V only and not 1.1V rssi input ?
If you have 1.1V input the rssiADC value must be about 109 or 110.
After that, all rssi input signals above 1.1V give the same rssi rawADC=110.
So actually if your max rssi signal is greather than 1.1V you need a voltage divider (example 22K with 10K resistors).
Obviously someone may say that the actual analog voltage ref in arduino sketch uses "internal" =1.1V instead of "DEFAULT" =5V, with 5V analog ref you do not need the voltage divider, but this is another story, may be implemented in future OSD versions.
Cheers
Carlo
carlonb

Postby rbirdie001 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Carlo,
thanks, this is the answer :!:
I didn't know about internal 1.1V reference and maximal value 110. My RX gives between 1.0-1.1V without signal (this little changes according the noise) and 1.6V with 100% signal so I was exactly on the edge - about 105-109 without signal and 110 with full signal. No problem, I'll use voltage dividier - with this I'm much more comfortable than with the code. :oops:
For future just small note about it e.g. in the "Hardware mods" document could help to many!
Once more thanks for great support!
Roman
rbirdie001

Postby hinkel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi!

Because I use Harakiri SG2.5 on Naze32 rev4 and KVteamosd I change the Code from Harakiri SG2.5 and KVteamosd R370 to have an Indication of FAILSAFE issue in OSD ( no RSSI Signal with my crappy receiver ) the GPS Coordinates will be display always in this case. Also the Osdswitch disable 80% from display now !
http://vimeo.com/77699275

If someone is interest ?
EDIT:
There is the code http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3524&p=42658#p42658

Regards
hinkel
hinkel

Postby disq » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Problems with PWM RSSI and current r370 code:

In the config, default PWM RSSI pin should not be the MISO pin (12) since it's already in use by the MAX chip and nearly hangs the OSD (pulseIn blocks too much) when enabled. Make D3 (pin #3, PAL jumper) default instead. (Config.h, line 8)

KV_Team_OSD.ino:160, "if (!Settings[S_MWRSSI]) {" should be "if (!Settings[S_MWRSSI] && !Settings[S_PWMRSSI]) {"
KV_Team_OSD.ino:169, rssiADC is read with pulseIn, but read again in calculateRssi(). calculateRssi should use the already read rssiADC instead.
KV_Team_OSD.ino:418, closing brace should be in line 414 (calculateRssi again) currently the read pwm rssi value is not used

OSD GUI: "RSSI Alarm" should be "RSSI Alarm %" instead, since it has nothing to do with the min/max values directly. (Lines 248 and 308 in KV_Team_OSD_GUI.pde)

BoxNames/BoxIds bug: KV_Team_OSD.ino:240, remove the #ifdef and add "if(Settings[S_USE_BOXNAMES])" instead.

Despite these changes I still wasn't able to use the PWM RSSI directly from FrSky. Decided to use analog instead:

Converting the PWM signal to analog, you need to make sure it doesn't exceed 1.1v.
I already had the circuit in here ready, which gave me 3.10 or so volts at 100% reception. I had to add a voltage divider (10k/6.2k) to get it down a little bit, seems to be working now. Adjusted rssi min/max to 1/72 in the gui.
disq

Postby SkyrimDragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Last edited by SkyrimDragon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyrimDragon

Postby SkyrimDragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Last edited by SkyrimDragon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyrimDragon

Postby disq » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm

SkyrimDragon wrote:A few things. Which FrSky receiver are you using? The new X8R does not use PWM RSSI. Just analog voltage. So it's easy to plug straight in. Also, it works fine with the MISO pin. The trick....
You have to have it plugged in and working when you make the change in the GUI or it will hang.

It's working 100% on mine but I am using the X8R.

I'm using a D4R-II (ppm enabled by jumping pins 3 and 4, this way first servo pin is ppm-sum and second servo pin is pwm rssi)

Previous messages in this thread (like this and these here) mention that MISO won't work for input since it's connected to the MAX chip as well. Admitted, I didn't connect anything to it this time around (Already had wires soldered to D3, A1 and A2, masking pins with kapton tape method works really well)
disq

Postby SkyrimDragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

SkyrimDragon

Postby disq » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 pm

https://github.com/disq/rush-osd/commits/master

Here I've published my changes. Also includes a better (well, at least "kinda working") pwm rssi handler for FrSky receivers.

Today I even attempted using hardware timers and pin change interrupts to measure the PWM signal, but failed to get stable results. Code here.
disq

Postby SkyrimDragon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Last edited by SkyrimDragon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SkyrimDragon

Postby SkyrimDragon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Last edited by SkyrimDragon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyrimDragon

Postby kataventos » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Hey, don´t be said...
The latest working dev r370... what´s wrong with it?
We already have a working new OSD dev that is waiting for the GUI updates, it is my fault because I have new projects going also and the changes that need to be done on the GUI are very hard for me alone (Java) so I need to focus and finish one thing at a time.

Promise that I will go deep on the GUI as soon as I have these new projects finished, besides christmas is coming... :lol:
As for other doubts about some new OSD´s like the awesome JDrones it will be implemented and wiki explained with the next release, but I already gave valuable information about it on the RCG topic. (please check it...)

I am already using the JDrones piece of hardware, taking advantage of all functions on the new KVY6_v1.
Be patient and enjoy what you have now, you are far from take full advantage of it.

Have tons of fun and please fly safe,
-KV
kataventos

Postby rortega » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Ey, kataventos, your firm is working well with Baseflight (NAZE32). I'm still testing it, but seems to work fine.
rortega

Postby kataventos » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:28 pm

rortega wrote:Ey, kataventos, your firm is working well with Baseflight (NAZE32). I'm still testing it, but seems to work fine.

Great, happy with that.

I have been looking at your latest videos today also ;) nice.
Have been with lot´s of hard work on other projects in past weeks so, I´m updating :mrgreen:

Have fun and keep it up friend,
-KV
kataventos

Postby nicog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 am

I'm trying to make your minim osd firmware running with the naze32. I have mixed results. I can see the horizon move, but the rest is not working. I mean, it keeps in disarmed even if i arm (the display), timer always on. Cannot change anything with gui.

I flashed the latest firmware (370 i believe) on it.

Any help will be appreciated.
nicog

Postby subaru4wd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Can we put this in the wiki somewhere so we can stop answering the same question over, and over, and over, and over....
subaru4wd

Postby Noctaro » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 am

Hey people,
last flight was a bit unexpected. Testing my quad with my new Graupner Props (yay), i was really happy to see how much power i gained, as suddenly my OSD began to fade out. I decided to fly home, land and check. Around 20 secounds later.....Pew pew, midair reset....FC was restarting, OSD reappeared during this. It was showing bootup screen.
Had just to watch it fall. Lipo was damaged, 1 motorshaft and 2 bearings gave up, electronics and other 3 motors seem to be fine.
The cause seemed a resistor, wich left the minimOSD board. It just popped off... will add a picture later...
I am using MinimOSD 0.1
Any idea why this could happen? I am quite sure i had no bad cable connection and everything was connected the right way. It was working fine for 8 months. It never did heat up, just getting slightly warm. I still dont get it why OSD was able to reset FC. I was using DEV1625.

....the sound at impact... :shock:

update:

Hope this will never ever happen again.
Ordered a V1.1 now. Were there any known hardware bugs on V0.1? Maybe just bad soldering. It does not look very clean at the other resistors either...
Greetz Noc

edit: This was not a software bug, sorry for choosing the wrong topic as it has nothing to do with development.
Last edited by Noctaro on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noctaro

Postby SkyrimDragon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Last edited by SkyrimDragon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyrimDragon

Postby Noctaro » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:04 pm

hey sky!
Thanks for your answer.
So you think it was a short on the serial? You may be right, i also had this in mind. But the fade out effect was weird...
Arent most of our components made in deepest china? :?
For sure there are differences in quality control. Wich hardware do you prefer instead?

Greetz Noc
Noctaro

Postby SkyrimDragon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Last edited by SkyrimDragon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyrimDragon

Postby Noctaro » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Ahhh, i did not know about the voltage regulator issue. That may also be a good catch. Of course the shortcut still is an option. But now, i also think it has to do with voltage drop, as it would explain the fade effect. I dont think anything died, because after reset it was back to normal.(even without the resistor...or maybe it was just touching the right place and did pop out on impact.)
Is the voltage regulator also used if i power it from fc via serial? Guess not...
I do use a 2nd 2S Lipo for cam and tx. But its only connection to OSD is via GND at the video-in and out ports.
Thank you for the info about hardware sources :)
I will have a close look at my new OSD before activating it. HK order is already processed, otherwise i would have canceled.... :(

Greetz Noc
Noctaro

Postby SkyrimDragon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Last edited by SkyrimDragon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkyrimDragon

Postby linuxslate » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Announcing HUD-OSD: A branch of KV-Team OSD.

As implied by the term "PRO", it has a little different aim than KV_TEAM_OSD. It is meant for expirienced RC pilots, possibly with acutal aircraft training expirience.

Features/Philosophy:

Units removed from most measurements. Units do not usually change, and I am assuming that the user can remember whether they set the units to SI or imperial. Units take up precious space and add clutter. Google some images of real aircraft huds. They usually do not show units for the major measurements.

More use of sliders for quick visual reference. I intend to implement more sliders -- right up until I bust the cycle time. I want it to be as graphical as possible.

For this reason the "Decoration" is forced on. The decoration doubles as the slider scales. I also hope that removing if-thens for some options will help save milliseconds for better graphics.

Font changes. No lower case. I appearently have a rather poor OSD board with lots of shadowing/smearing as you can see. I also do not have the eyesight that I once did. Clear, all-caps fonts help.

Terms/Icons changed to more air-craft like terminology (Such as "DME" - Distance Measuring Equipment - instead of Distance to Home. I know that it is not technically DME, but that is immediately intuitive to a pilot as the distance to the Airport) Yes, I could be easily talked into a Home icon for this.

It is based on 2.2, r345, since I could not get r370 to work on my board. I will pull in some fixes from later builds as needed.

While many of the changes are applicable to airplane, it is specifically oriented toward multi-rotors. This is not an OSD for people that fly km away up in the clouds.

Specific Enhancements:

Rate of climb indicator on right scale. It's set pretty sensitive to aid in landing or precision flying such as limbo competitions or flying under tree branches.

Throttle scale. It's seperate in the screen shot, but I may move it to the inside of the right scale. I think it would be interesting to be able to see the relation between throttle and rate of climb on a multi rotor. (Yes, there are extraneous "%" signs in this screenshot. Already fixed.)

I intend to implement an altitude slider on the left scale. It will be set very sesitive, probably only showing the last 20 Feet or so. Again to aid in landing.

What is not in this version

I do not have a reciever with RSSI, so the recent RSSI work is not yet in there. (Back porting RSSI fixes is in work. Help requested since I cannot test.)

Same for other things I do not have, such as a power meter. This code will be unchanged as of right now from r345.

I do not plan to support PID settings via the OSD. All code to write to MW EEPROM will be removed for safety. Associated screens will be removed. I do not think that is the purpose of an OSD. I use the MultiWii-GUI or something like MultiWii-EZ-GUI on Android to adjust PIDS/MW Settings. I don't want to be blamed for anything bad happening, and removing the EEPROM Write code makes the OSD basically totally passive.

I will not be updating/changing the OSD PC GUI. Having to keep the GUI in sync takes valuable time from "real" OSD development. While it currently still works, I plan to move everything to the config.h file. Again, this is the "PRO" version. If you cannot edit a text file, this version is probably not for you. The GUI still works as a font editor/uploader, but it is my understanding that people are working on other Font editors/uploaders.

Get the code:

Go to the KV_Team_OSD Google Code site and select the HUD-OSD branch
http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... me=HUD-OSD

You must upload my .mcm Font file. It should be in KV_Team_OSD_GUI/data for that branch, but I am still learning Mercurial/TortoiseHG. Please forgive (help fix) missing stuff/etc.
linuxslate

Postby hinkel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi Linuxslate !
Very interesting !
Thanks for sharing the code .If you have a video (like this for exemple : )
to see the changes, feel free to share !

Regards
hinkel
hinkel

Postby linuxslate » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:15 am

I will be posting a new screen shot shortly, so that it shows the corrected (and slightly moved) throttle slider.

Video when I fly Sunday.
linuxslate

Postby linuxslate » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:10 am

Updated Screen shots showing PRO_HUD_OSD, and what I am trying to accomplish.

Current Screen shot:

Annotation - What is currently done is shown in Yellow text, Planned changes in Orange:

If you are concerned about the lack of units/lables, try it. After a few flights, I think you'll remember them, and you will appreciate the reduced clutter and better view of the "Real World".

*NOTE* if you are using Imperial (US) units, rate of climb is now in 100's of Feet per Second. This is the units commonly used in light aircaft. Metric units (Meters per second) are unchanged. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variometer (First Paragraph)
linuxslate

Postby balrog » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:48 am

Since there's no single minimosd git tree to base branches on (that I can find) I decided to post here so others can merge some of my changes if they like, I noted from linuxslate's post that different people addressing some of the same issues. My tree is at https://github.com/balrog-kun/minimosd-extra. With the clunkiness of the whole minimosd code I'd rather start from scratch, but keep having to make small changes for lack of time.

Some of the changes:

* No timer based updates - whenever the contents of any panel changes, that panel is updated next. This reduces the lagging of the overlaid data behind the camera video by a lot. You can have 25fps/30fps (match with camera) if needed, or 2fps if nothing changes other than the timer.

* Artifical horizon, ILS and rose rewritten, the AF is simply horizontal lines every 15 degrees from level, with 0 deg represented by a slightly longer line. The AF covers the space not used by other panels, not a small window in the middle. The AF and the ILS are smoother because I changed the font to have 1px resolution instead of 2px for the ascii graphics (18 positions per char instead of 9). Also got rid of some unnecessary pitch&roll integer rounding, so it's really smooth.

* The AF and other panels are sort of double-buffered, i.e. only the modified areas are sent to the MAX7456 instead of constantly clearing the panels and redrawing, which I think caused the SPI communication with MAX7456 to be a huge bottleneck.

* The decimal point is culled into the first fractional digit char that follows so you don't waste a whole column for a dot.

* I replaced the MAVlink overkill with a super simple protocol that has 5 short packet types (may be missing a few things that I didn't need myself) and use 115200 baud rate. I'd encourage someone to simply add the support to multiwii/baseflight, but you can go back to MavLink by adding #define USE_MAVLINK. MavLink is made for bunches of devices communicating in network, not a simple FC->OSD situation.

* The home arrow and home distance are not shown if you're < 5m from home.

* There's an ESC-data panel that shows current RPM and temperature as returned by the each ESC, this will only work if someone adds the multitii FC support and you need to run a modified SimonK firmware on the ESCs (works pretty well with AfroESCs over I2C but possible non-I2C ESCs too).

I've sort of modified the OSD Config tool to support some of these but I find it pointless to touch that code until the whole thing is rewritten so that every new panel information doesn't need to be in 10 places in the minimosd-code + in the config tool. It could really easily be a single C file with all the panel definitions, default placements and sizes (really, why isn't something as simple ase panel size configurable?) and hopefully not requiring mono.

Also I'd love to use a nicer font for the A-Z characters if someone has found one that looks good.
Attachments
osd-scr.png
PAL screen resized to 50%.
(76.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
balrog

PreviousNext

Return to Software development