KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Lapino

Re: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by Lapino »

I got it working...I activated the Box option but don't get the GPS mode displayed...anyone?^^

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Lapino wrote:I got it working...I activated the Box option but don't get the GPS mode displayed...anyone?^^

Hi Lapino,

thanks for trying this beta dev and for report the issues.
Don´t know if I understood your problem but, now GPS related info will only be displayed with a fix until then you will only see sats number.

KV

Lapino

AW: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by Lapino »

Yeah that's Ok for me and makes sense but my problem was that the gps mode wasn't displayed (like changing to stable mode).

Another question is if I have to use a resistor in between my current sensor and the arduino pin?

And how do I use the rssi for frsky?

I made the resistor mod and changed the analogreference to default (5v) to have a correct voltage reading (in combination with a correction factor as I don't know why the reading differs from the sparkfun example sketch for attopilot 90A sensor that gives perfect readings for voltage (amps seem too low, that's why I'm asking if the resistor mod for current sensor it's needed ).

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

I removed the resistor to the current sensor and the values seem to be good, I don't use RSSI anymore as I can't figure it out but my TX warns me anyway ;)
So only the GPS-mode acknowledgement is missing to make me happy :)

Woppit

Re: AW: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by Woppit »

Hi, I get the little arrow marker for GPS RTH but not for GPS position hold, all other arrows acc, bar, mag are ok

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

please check on previous pages, they have the information for FRSky RSSI.

Question: The ones who are having problems with GPS mode, are you using I2C GPS ?

KV

Edit: And what MW version?
Last edited by kataventos on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kataventos

Re: AW: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by kataventos »

Lapino wrote:Yeah that's Ok for me and makes sense but my problem was that the gps mode wasn't displayed (like changing to stable mode).

Another question is if I have to use a resistor in between my current sensor and the arduino pin?

And how do I use the rssi for frsky?

I made the resistor mod and changed the analogreference to default (5v) to have a correct voltage reading (in combination with a correction factor as I don't know why the reading differs from the sparkfun example sketch for attopilot 90A sensor that gives perfect readings for voltage (amps seem too low, that's why I'm asking if the resistor mod for current sensor it's needed ).

Probably not needed, but I can not test because I use software for that. keep in mind that you can only make analogue readings from 0 to 5v, if this is the case go on and try.

Sometime ago I made this defines on config.h, use them according your needs to find the right match to your setup.

Code: Select all

#define AMPDIVISION 3600            // Hardware current sensor division ratio
#define AMPERAGE_CAL 1.1            // Amperage calibration
#define AMPRERAGE_OFFSET 512        // Amperage = AMPRERAGE_OFFSET - analogRead * AMPERAGE_CAL / 10.23

Pay attention to the formula for collecting and sum amperage: Amperage = AMPRERAGE_OFFSET - analogRead * AMPERAGE_CAL / 10.23

Probably we will use them on GUI in future.

Thanks again for reporting this stuff.

KV

Woppit

Post by Woppit »

kataventos wrote:Hi,

Question: The ones who are having problems with GPS mode, are you using I2C GPS ?

KV

Edit: And what MW version?

Hi, Crius AIO Pro, MW 2.2 pre.
GPS all works, it's just the little arrow for pos hold that does not show on mine, RTH shows fine.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Woppit wrote:
GPS all works, it's just the little arrow for pos hold that does not show on mine, RTH shows fine.

And is it actually engaged? that sounds very strange to me...
Verify on your MW GUI please, you have the same board then the ones I use so, no doubt that it should be OK.

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

Hi,

as you mentioned in your last reply if GPS was engaged I realized GPS couldn't be engaged though I flipped the switch BECAUSE I was in the basement thus no GPS signal could be received so it isn't a bug but it may be mentioned that a GPS-Fix is needed to have GPS-mode displayed ;) (if it's not already in the wiki of multiwii or so^^)

I also made some modifications so everybody else who uses the attopilot sensor could just define it and solder the sensor readings directly(!) without any resistors or whatnot to the atmega pins.

So here it is:

make this define in config.h:

#define ATTOPILOT_VI 

whereby old values have to be:

#define EST_PMSum 1
#define HARDSENSOR                // Uncomment to change from MW_POWERMETER to Hard current sensor on analogue Pin (MW_POWERMETER is DEFAULT and must be defined on MWCode)
#define AMPDIVISION 36         // Hardware current sensor division ratio
#define AMPERAGE_CAL 1.0           // Amperage calibration
#define AMPRERAGE_OFFSET 0//512 

In KV_TEAM_OSD.ino:

in setup() instead of:

analogReference(INTERNAL);

place this:

#ifdef ATTOPILOT_VI
    analogReference(DEFAULT);
    #define VREF 5
#else
    analogReference(INTERNAL);
    #define VREF 1.1
#endif

In loop() (I added VREF and the specific calculations for voltage and amperage for attopilot current and voltage sensor):

if (Settings[S_ENABLEADC]){
    temperature=(analogRead(temperaturePin)*VREF)/10.23;
    if (!Settings[S_MAINVOLTAGE_VBAT]){
      static uint8_t ind = 0;
      static uint16_t voltageRawArray[8];
      voltageRawArray[(ind++)%8] = analogRead(voltagePin);                 
      uint16_t voltageRaw = 0;
      for (uint8_t i=0;i<8;i++)
        voltageRaw += voltageRawArray[i];

#ifdef ATTOPILOT_VI 
        voltage = analogRead(voltagePin)/1.141;
      #else
        voltage = float(voltageRaw) * Settings[S_DIVIDERRATIO] * (VREF/102.3/4/8);
      #endif 
    }
    if (!Settings[S_VIDVOLTAGE_VBAT]) {     
      vidvoltage = float(analogRead(vidvoltagePin)) * Settings[S_VIDDIVIDERRATIO] * (VREF/102.3/4);
    }
    if (!Settings[S_MWRSSI]) {
      rssiADC = (analogRead(rssiPin)*VREF)/1023;
    }
    #ifdef ATTOPILOT_VI 
        amperage = analogRead(amperagePin)/0.649;
    #else
        amperage = (AMPRERAGE_OFFSET - (analogRead(amperagePin)*AMPERAGE_CAL))/10.23;
    #endif 
  }

thats it!
Have fun :)

Woppit

Post by Woppit »

kataventos wrote:
Woppit wrote:

And is it actually engaged? that sounds very strange to me...
Verify on your MW GUI please, you have the same board then the ones I use so, no doubt that it should be OK.

Hi, I have tested with MW GUI, with a 9 sat lock all works in MW GUI and light up green when active.
On the OSD with 9 sat lock it shows 3D Fix, if I activate Pos Hold the icon changes from 3D Fix to HOLD but no arrow under GPS.
If I then activate RTH, the HOLD icon changes from HOLD to GO HOME(house pic!) and i then get the arrow ubder GPS.
Just thought I'd mention it.

could be something I have not set in the config?

thanks
Shane

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Woppit wrote:
Hi, I have tested with MW GUI, with a 9 sat lock all works in MW GUI and light up green when active.
On the OSD with 9 sat lock it shows 3D Fix, if I activate Pos Hold the icon changes from 3D Fix to HOLD but no arrow under GPS.
If I then activate RTH, the HOLD icon changes from HOLD to GO HOME(house pic!) and i then get the arrow ubder GPS.
Just thought I'd mention it.

could be something I have not set in the config?

thanks
Shane

Hi Woppit,

OK, I had reproduced the issue and it is already fixed. Thank you for reporting this ;)

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Firstly, a BIG thank-you to the "TEAM" for your hard work!

I bought this one: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/crius-mavlink-osd-compatible-with-original-minimosd-atmega328p-microcontroller-dc-dc-voltage-stabilization.html
It has the up-graded switching regulator on the 12V side, BUT, does NOT have solder jumpers on the back of the board that allows connecting FTDI 5Vdc to the MAX chip.
So, this board MUST have 12v (or at least 5v) connected to the power pins at the video connector...
(the MAX chip still gets pretty warm though, probably 45 deg. C ???)

I'm using a Flyduino Mega with Freeimu043. MTK3329 GPS on serial 2, Sektrum Satellite (configured for 8 channels - 2048 bit) on serial 1 and OSD connected to serial 3.

I tried the latest compiled GUI (v2.02)
Everything works fine (port connection, config, save etc.) , except that I can't get the font to upload.
It "seems" to hang the GUI....

So, I installed the latest Processing 2.0b8 and newest ControlP5 library (version 2.0.4)
I downloaded the latest GUI files (931994914fba) and ran the sketch (KV_Team_OSD_GUI.pde)

In the Processing console output window, when I press UPLOAD, i see the following:

Configuration successful
Port Turned On
FONT_UPLOAD
Sent Char 0
Sent Char 1
Sent Char 2
Sent Char 0
Sent Char 3
Sent Char 1
Sent Char 4
Sent Char 2
Sent Char 5
Sent Char 3
Sent Char 6
Sent Char 4
Sent Char 7
Sent Char 2
Sent Char 5
Sent Char 8
Sent Char 3
Sent Char 3
Sent Char 3
The character index seems to increment but random index numbers are in-between.....
Any ideas why?

So, I downloaded the font file manually using the Arduino sketch and TeraTerm.
This method works fine.

OSD is now working brilliantly with MultiWii pre 2.2! (r1349)

My first FPV flight scheduled for Saturday........ :mrgreen:

Howard

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Howardhb,

sorry for the late answer and thanks for trying our stuff, it sure make us happy to see you all flying with it!

Last compiled is r280, or did you went to the source? probably r280!

All I can say is that we will release another Beta but much more stable GUI before this weekend.
You should have zero problems with char map upload and all other stuff like you can see on the bench test video.

Cheers,
KV

dramida

Post by dramida »

Thank you KV_Team for dev_r280, you did an awsome OSD, here is a video, picture in picture with OSD and 3rd person view with gimbal camera stabilisation.

http://youtu.be/fbEMrn7NMhU

Also tricopter was using latest multiwii dev version MWC pre 2.2

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

Thanks Dragu.

Tomorrow´s BETA release with some new stuff on the OSD code and GUI.

- Fly Time will now take On time place when Armed, ( this give us a cleaner screen without unwanted information during flight);
- Call sign added but for now it´s of the screen, "encoded" to line 15 (MAX7456) is not capable to show that! :mrgreen: (just kidding, we are digging to really encode it in an acceptable way by the "governments" or whatever we are trying to please with this feature);
- No more uploading fonts old fashion, GUI is doing it without any error (tested by team members with different OS´s);
- Simulator have most of the functions running;

Cheers,
KV

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Awesome and Thank you so very much for the Call Sign. We have enough issues here with drones being in the spotlight and this resolves one of them. That is being Legal. :)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:That is being Legal. :)

Hi,

Thanks, can you please tell me more about that?
What we did was to make the info (editable text on GUI with 10 chars max, as this was what I could find on the wikipedia, and in rare cases it can rise to 12 chars) blink 5 times during 1 sec every 60 sec´s, but like I said, it is out of the screen not really encoded... we just need to know what is needed or what type of "encoding" is needed. After that we can do whatever is needed.

Please link here the information in case of what we did is not acceptable by law enforcement's or whatever :?:

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I will post it in the AM, Not sure if the Laws are the same where you are but here, the Call Sign has to be displayed at the Beginning of the transmission and every 10 minutes I believe. I will post all of the details for you and where to get a license for those that are interested.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Here is some preliminary stuff.

§97.119 Station identification.
(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may
transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.
(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of §73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission (
(g) When the station is transmitting under the authority of § 97.107 of this part, an indicator consisting of the appropriate letter-numeral designating the station location must be included before the call sign that was issued to the station by the country granting the license. For an amateur service license granted by the Government of Canada, however, the indicator must be included after the call sign. At least once during each intercommunication, the identification announcement must include the geographical location as nearly as possible by city and state, commonwealth or possession.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2002-t ... 97-119.pdf

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=124

And here is a good starting point for people in the US: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384449
Last edited by copterrichie on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

OK Richie,

thanks for all the info, we will take a look.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Yes, we do not want to give THEM any reason to take our fun aka Happiness. :)

dramida

Post by dramida »

In a free world, the goverment shoud be afraind of the people's demands, not vice-versa. Anyway, puting an ID on the OSD is a feature whitch could be useful for professionals.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

today after reading the legal stuff I rewrote the code and it is now displaying the call sign on the intro screen (beginning of transmission) and every 5min´s (legal is "at least every 10min´s) for 4 sec´s on the armed motor position.
The pilot´s that are obligated to this, must too activate the GPS coordinates to transmit the "exact location".

Well, with this I think that you can now fly "legal" :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
KV

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Kudos, I raised the Issue on FB in one of the Ham forums, I strongly believe this makes us legal until governments gets an Hair up their ....

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Call sign, Fly time and OSD switch.

- Call sign on fire up (MAX 10 chars example) :

Picture 1.png

-Position on main screen (first call):

Picture 2.png

(Fly time now takes on time place:) ;)
- 5 minutes after fire up second call (independently of the fly time);

Picture 3.png

- Features turned off by the OSD switch;
With latest developments on MW you can assign an AUX Ch to the OSD (visible on MW GUI):

Picture 4.png

Everything is configured on GUI, inclusive the Call Sign text.

Later on for the weekend flight´s :mrgreen:

KV

PS: I would prefer to see "UNIQUE ID:" instead of "CALL SIGN:" on start up screen... any last minute suggestions?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Fantastic! You are the Man!!!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:Fantastic! You are the Man!!!

Nope ;) This is the Team!

Woppit

Post by Woppit »

Well I think the team has done an excellent job, can't wait to try it, very nice! :D

dramida

Post by dramida »

MinimOSD put to work in a FPV aerial shoting

http://youtu.be/eL7Is3Unz48

Thanks Team!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi all,

<r280>
- GUI Implementation
- New character map
- MW RSSI Implementation
- More stable voltage code
- Smoother artificial horizon
- Faster refresh for GPS related info
- 16 Position arrows (smoother)
- Narrow screen extinction
- Box IDS implementation
- Issues with Imperial unit fixed
- Auto mode bits
- PAL / NTSC option on OSD page 4
- New vario code
- More friendly OSD menu

<r340>
- RSSI % adjustable alarm on GUI
- Fly time takes On time place during flight
- Call Sign/Unique ID (Editable text on GUI max 10 Chars)
- Font upload with GUI (no need to select font)
- Font editor (make your own stuff ;) )
- OSD Switch (use latest Multiwii developments (e.g) Multiwii Share)
- FC Simulator (NOTE: need to change to BOXNAMES and write to OSD before the Modes will display correctly)

You know what to do here http://kvteamosd.com on the download section.

Have fun,
KV Team
Last edited by kataventos on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

vpb

Post by vpb »

OMG why my board sill not arrives yet! T_T.

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

Thanks to all the team for your hard work. Here is my first flight with R340. All seems fine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdoYh2XXdEE&feature=youtu.be

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

realpastaman wrote:Thanks to all the team for your hard work. Here is my first flight with R340. All seems fine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdoYh2XXdEE&feature=youtu.be

Good to know, thanks and have fun!

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I seems to be having problems uploading the font set, does this process take a while? If so, how long should I give it before rebooting?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

copterrichie wrote:I seems to be having problems uploading the font set, does this process take a while? If so, how long should I give it before rebooting?

I was unable to get the fonts to Load using my WindowXP computer however, I moved to my MAC and the fonts loaded on the first attempt. Not sure why.

power67

Post by power67 »

copterrichie wrote:
copterrichie wrote:I seems to be having problems uploading the font set, does this process take a while? If so, how long should I give it before rebooting?

I was unable to get the fonts to Load using my WindowXP computer however, I moved to my MAC and the fonts loaded on the first attempt. Not sure why.

Thank you for for your feedback.

We are trying to make a more dependable method of uploading the font to your osd board. However, we have seen that some folks are having issues with slower systems and possible issues with cables and ftdi boards.

When we upload the fonts through the GUI, we are doing so at 6 times the speed of the old stand alone program that we were uploading to the osd board. As a result, even a small issue with your system may show itself and prevent a clean upload of the font chars.

We are working hard to find a way around this issue but, if anyone just can't seem to get the font uploaded correctly, they should first check their system, the cable, and thier ftdi board. If none of those seem to resolve the issue, one can always resort to using the old font upload code and a standard terminal applications as we did before.

Again, thank you for your feedback,
Ross
(KV TEAM MEMBER)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

May try creating the zip file on a Window machine. The MAC add much more security to the file than when created on a window machine. WindowXP may not be able to open the font file. Just a thought.

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

power67 wrote:
copterrichie wrote:

Thank you for for your feedback.

We are trying to make a more dependable method of uploading the font to your osd board. However, we have seen that some folks are having issues with slower systems and possible issues with cables and ftdi boards.

When we upload the fonts through the GUI, we are doing so at 6 times the speed of the old stand alone program that we were uploading to the osd board. As a result, even a small issue with your system may show itself and prevent a clean upload of the font chars.

We are working hard to find a way around this issue but, if anyone just can't seem to get the font uploaded correctly, they should first check their system, the cable, and thier ftdi board. If none of those seem to resolve the issue, one can always resort to using the old font upload code and a standard terminal applications as we did before.

Again, thank you for your feedback,
Ross
(KV TEAM MEMBER)

Although working great I had to upload fonts using the old method. I tried two different ftdi boards and a quadcore CPU with windows 7. End result is great though thanks again!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,
OK, it seems that only windows users are having problems with the char map upload so, there is a BETA dev for windows users on the repository. http://www.kvteamosd.com

Please try it and report.

NOTE: OSD software needs to be updated before trying the new r344 GUI.

KV

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

OK, it seems that only windows users are having problems with the char map upload so, there is a BETA dev for windows users on the repository. http://www.kvteamosd.com

KV

I just tested this on my WindowsXP machine and it is still not uploading the fonts. Just hangs with the serial lights flashing but no transfer.

Peter

Post by Peter »

I could not upload the font on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. Windows 7 64bit did work.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

on repository is the same dev r344 with Linux .exe file now.

Are you saying that you could upload the char map to your OSD on Windows7 and with r344, or with both r344 and r340?
This is important for tracking down the bug, please describe what dev/dev´s did you tried and which one/ones was/were successful!

Cheers,
KV

PS: I must assume that MAC OSX users are having no problem at all! :geek:

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:

KV

I just tested this on my WindowsXP machine and it is still not uploading the fonts. Just hangs with the serial lights flashing but no transfer.

Thanks for reporting.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I tried both r344 and r340 on my WindowsXP machine and the GUI would not upload the char map to the OSD. Had no Problems with the MAC.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

http://www.kvteamosd.com

KV

Just to remember that NOTE! ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:I tried both r344 and r340 on my WindowsXP machine and the GUI would not upload the char map to the OSD. Had no Problems with the MAC.

OK Richie, good to know that at least MAC user´s are happy! :ugeek: we will fix this in no time with some more well explained reports from the users!

Thanks for your help on this.

KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

HI all,

the release 345 is out to test, we think that the new font upload routine is going to work for everybody, it worked just fine on Richie´s Windows XP and on my wife´s PC with Windows 7 so... :mrgreen:

Need to upload OSD code before use the GUI font upload.

Don´t forget to report!

Thanks,
KV
http://www.kvteamosd.com

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Font upload WORKS! (Win7 64bit)
It takes about 45 seconds - only Tx led flashing (on ftdi)

You guys have done a great job, well done!

H.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

howardhb wrote:Font upload WORKS! (Win7 64bit)
It takes about 45 seconds - only Tx led flashing (on ftdi)

You guys have done a great job, well done!

H.

Hi,
great, let´s wait for some more user´s to report, but to be honest I think that this time is for real :mrgreen:

Cheers,
KV