KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
rortega

Re: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by rortega »

Thanks again, and take the time you need, the RC filter works fine for me, we will be patient.
My friend has told to me that you are from Portugal. We are from Huelva (Spain), very next to the frontier, we both use spidex+multiwii+MininmOSD with your code. It would be great have a meeting with you for doing FPV together ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Rortega,

sure, we will arrange that for sure during this summer and have some fun together :mrgreen:
Just pointing one thing... This is not just my code, this is a Team´s work and I really like to say this! ;) Awesome people work with me on it as you can see on main ino.

Cheers,
-KV

vpb

Post by vpb »

carlonb wrote:Hi vpb,
about correct Minim OSD supply take a look here http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=607.0
Cheers
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for your instruction! It's such a very simple modification but why it's not on the wiki yet :) . I hope I'll have luck with my 3rd minim board :?

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

vpb wrote:
carlonb wrote:Hi vpb,
about correct Minim OSD supply take a look here http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=607.0
Cheers
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for your instruction! It's such a very simple modification but why it's not on the wiki yet :) . I hope I'll have luck with my 3rd minim board :?

Hi vpb,
...about wiki...this is job for kataventos... :lol:

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@vpb,

please pay attention to all posts and statements so we do not have to repeat everything over and over, like I said many times here before and on the previous page Peter repeated once more:
-The RCtimer board does not support this mod so, it will be exactly the same for you... 12v always connected even for the char map upload.

Also, I will edit the wiki as soon as I have the chance. Thanks for pointing that out, I should had done it already.

-KV

vpb

Post by vpb »

Ya, my 3rd board is minim board from goodluckbuy, not rctimer. "I hope I can fly"...with osd ha ha ha :)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

ALERT: code will change regarding the PWM, as well as the digital pin, it will never work fine as it is.
Just to alert the ones sneaking on the repo :D

-KV

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hey KV - like some of teh recent gui changes. a couple of suggestions for improvements.... :)
Any thoughts on the following

1 Expand on the OSD switch functionality a little...
Ability to choose which functions are enabled / disabled by OSD switch.
Could be GUI - or #define. Either works for me.
Maybe #definein config to start with - easier and less work

Maybe this is a personal thing, but I like to see everything on screen or very little. For normal flying, just the bare minimum to enjoy the view, but to ensure all is working at beginning of flight / other checks nice to see all info.

Something like: (bear with first 20 secs or so !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjWR2GI50no

2 Debug screen.....
For developers, maybe an option to display debug values on screen. Would be great if could turn off/on via the menu for field testing. Been asked to troubleshoot some issues that shows up when flying FPV - this would be perfect.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Shikra,

sorry for late reply but as I said before I am very short with time.
Yes, I think that it is a good Idea to expand the switch functionality using the GUI to configure it ;)

Debug screen I do not see any user enhancement :? and we are getting short with room for future developments already, I think it is better to wait for new ideas to come... :geek:

Cheers,
-KV

PS: BTW great flight :mrgreen:

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

I have an Minim from RCT and was working basic setup over and over again and din't get any videooutput (no osd, no camera).
Videoside is connected to 12V from VTx, ftdi/MW-Side with 5V, Video and Copter have seperated Lipos.

Now I found, that I get videooutput, when I provide Power to Video and Copter from the same Lipo. I can see the Menu on the screen and cam too, but only for a few seconds, then osd disappears (cam still there). I immediately disconnected lipo and found one chip (I think it's the max) getting rather hot....

I read something about an 5V-Mod, didnt find it in the WIki, think it doesnt work on my Board (no pads)

I could imagine sperating 12V on Videoside for Video only (not osd) and connect 5V from ftdi/mw-Side to power on the Videoside... but I'm pretty unshure...

can somebody help please?

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

It is not reproduceable.... ...now again no vidout at all..... :-(((

postaL

Post by postaL »

Goetz wrote:It is not reproduceable.... ...now again no vidout at all..... :-(((

If I had to guess, given your last post... You have a grounding issue.

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

IN the Tests with no vidoutput at all the circles vtx and Copter were completely seperated...

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Goetz wrote:IN the Tests with no vidoutput at all the circles vtx and Copter were completely seperated...

Have you connected the 2 negative wires of 12V side and 5V side toghether ?
Bye
Carlo

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Goetz,

Like postaL said and Carlo asked, your problem is only ground nothing more.

-KV

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi all,

I have just started to use KVOSD, here is a sample video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nujG0T7tb7k

All things works great!!! I'm using the latest revision.
Thanks to you guys!

BR
Adrian

shikra

Post by shikra »

Cheers KV - that would be great.

No worries on debug. I'll add that in.

Crap flight - hopefully I'll get some wether to show you a cool one! All my copters now have kvosd

kataventos wrote:Hi Shikra,

sorry for late reply but as I said before I am very short with time.
Yes, I think that it is a good Idea to expand the switch functionality using the GUI to configure it ;)

Debug screen I do not see any user enhancement :? and we are getting short with room for future developments already, I think it is better to wait for new ideas to come... :geek:

Cheers,
-KV

PS: BTW great flight :mrgreen:

shikra

Post by shikra »

I bet it would help your gps hold development testing if you had debug info on the screen :lol: :lol:

nhadrian wrote:Hi all,

I have just started to use KVOSD, here is a sample video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nujG0T7tb7k

All things works great!!! I'm using the latest revision.
Thanks to you guys!

BR
Adrian

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Hi all MINIM OSD users,

I'm investigating about a bug on RSSI screen indication, but I've not the necessary H/W to test it.
Will be usefull for me have some help about the signals directed on MINIM in order to simulate it:
1) RSSI signal PWM type : Voltage level (may be max 5V?) and what is the min max length of pulses ?
2) RSSI signal ANALOGIC type : Min and Max voltage level.
3) RSSI signal coming from MWii FC : What kind of info the MWii FC send-out?

Thanks all
Carlo

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Carlo,

PWM is "solved because I will code it to use digital PD3 instead of MISI,(something Itai and me figured while chatting other day) or you can easily do it also if you like, just the input please, the code is OK.
The only bug is with the ADC value on screen when using the OSD analogue input (it stays 0 even with signal and percentage on main screen), if you use the MWii RSSI everything is OK. Of course that advice you all to tune it on the Gui after some trial and error to get it working properly, mine is 100% accurate using FRSky and RCfilter at this time. when my RSSI is at 44% on my 9X it is the same on OSD screen and then when the signal is almost lost, just before I have 5% on screen.

Thanks for looking at it, soon I will be with time to work on it also... very short now :(

(Remember we are using INTERNAL 1.1V reference for analogue readings)

Cheers,
-KV

disq

Post by disq »

kataventos wrote:PWM is "solved because I will code it to use digital PD3 instead of MISI,(something Itai and me figured while chatting other day) or you can easily do it also if you like, just the input please, the code is OK.
The only bug is with the ADC value on screen when using the OSD analogue input (it stays 0 even with signal and percentage on main screen), if you use the MWii RSSI everything is OK.

Why doesn't it work? PD3 means soldering a new wire on the Atmega is needed, right? The advantage of using the MOSI pin was it being already available on the ISP header.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Easy on you :!: PD3 corresponds to the unused PAL Jumper. It does not work properly because MAX is already using it.

-KV

disq

Post by disq »

(Yeah that trace goes into the MAX chip as well) Good news, PAL jumper FTW then :) Can't solder a pin there, but at least soldering a wire will be easy.

DodgeRC

Post by DodgeRC »

Hey all,
Posted this on the RCGroups page aswell, just wondering if anyone can help over here:
Followed the steps and all powers up fine etc, however no OSD, but I do get video.

When I pull the camera plugs out of the Minim, I get the OSD display, (but no video feed), plug it in again, the OSD goes and Video comes on.
I have soldered the 2 jumpers, (Not the PAL one) not sure what it does but someone mentioned to do it.

Update:
Tried with 12v in ((on the video out side of the minim) and uploaded new font through GUI
Also when plugged in the amber light flashes rapidly.
Really like this concept, but finding it bloody difficult to get going =[

DodgeRC

Post by DodgeRC »

SOLVED!

Sorry, complete idiot, feel free to slap me..

All wired in fine except, the Minim was set to NTSC, and a few days before I had set my #16 to PAL.......

sorg

Post by sorg »

Hi!

First tests with my MimOSD board coming from RCTimer.
I feed it with 5V only. both bridge have been soldered (GND and VDD).

Last realease of Rush OSD flashed and font loaded in EEPROM.

Here is what I get on my screen:

During init :

Then:

The White and black pattern is fixed (It is not "snowing")

Is that related to the fact that,I have no Video Feed on Vin ? (My cam is not here yet).

any clue ?

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

sorg wrote:Hi!

First tests with my MimOSD board coming from RCTimer.
I feed it with 5V only. both bridge have been soldered (GND and VDD).

Last realease of Rush OSD flashed and font loaded in EEPROM.

Here is what I get on my screen:

During init :

Then:

The White and black pattern is fixed (It is not "snowing")

Is that related to the fact that,I have no Video Feed on Vin ? (My cam is not here yet).

any clue ?

Hi sorg,
seems the MAX video chip has not saved the correct char map, or not correctly updated.
Remember that MAX need also a good 5Vdc supply, verify it.
About cam, no need camera, if all is OK, you must see some data on screen.

What OSD version and char map are you using exactly ?

Bye
Carlo

sorg

Post by sorg »

Thanks carlo.
I came to the same conclusion and solved the problem yesterday evening:
During my tests, I fed the circuit with a 3.3V FTDI. Apparently, the charmap was not properly saved with such a low Voltage.

After solving this issue, everithing went fine, and it is running nicely !

haydent

Post by haydent »

kataventos wrote:
shackfu wrote:Hi,
I have nearly everything up running. Only the current will not show up. the accumulated current is counting up and the vbat is shown correctly, but the currently used amps are always at 0.0mAh.
Am I missing something? Do I have to config something in the GUI?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi shackfu,

great draw you have here :D
No you are not missing anything, instant consumption will only be shown if you had the current sensor connected to your OSD using the wiki mods and enabling the OSD ADC on OSD GUI.
I should advise you to connect your OSD on other serial then zero, because that way you will need to unplug it every-time you need to upload new MW code or to connect the FC to the MW GUI.
(e.g) I have OSD on Serial 1, GPS on Serial 2, and "other" on Serial 3.

Cheers,
KV

how come i can not show current draw when sensor hooked onto multiwii , why must it be hooked to minimosd ?

thanks

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

It looks like it's mostly there.. I'd say having instantaneous power draw would also be valuable information for on screen too, should be able to calculate delta pMeterSum/dt pretty easily...

Code: Select all

if (cmdMSP==MSP_ANALOG)
  {
    MwVBat=read8();
    pMeterSum=read16();
    MwRssi = read16();
  }

void displaypMeterSum(void)
{
  if (Settings[S_ENABLEADC]){
    pMeterSum = amperagesum;
  }
  screenBuffer[0]=SYM_MAH;
  int xx = pMeterSum / EST_PMSum;
  itoa(xx,screenBuffer+1,10);
  MAX7456_WriteString(screenBuffer,getPosition(pMeterSumPosition));
}

amperage = (AMPRERAGE_OFFSET - (analogRead(amperagePin)*AMPERAGE_CAL))/10.23;
     if(Settings[S_AMPERAGE]) displayAmperage();

if(Settings[S_AMPER_HOUR])  displaypMeterSum();
 amperagesum += amperage / AMPDIVISION; //(mAh)

haydent

Post by haydent »

thanks, im onto it now.

haydent

Post by haydent »

dude, i worked it out so simple, here is haw to show amperage in minimosd from multiwii connected sensor viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3783

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

My board just came today... :D
MinimOSD V1.1 from Hobbyking.

There is available a HOW TO guide ?
Thank you.

haydent

Post by haydent »

i have that board, here's your guide:
go here: http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/
read wiki
flash it via ftdi
configure it via kv osd
hook it up via serial to mwc
hook into video system
enjoy

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Thank you haydent !

Some questions..just to be sure
in the pics both pads must be soldered...right ?

haydent

Post by haydent »

Capture.JPG

this one instead of the one marked pal.

once these 2 done, it lets you run it off the systems bec 5v rather than 12v which makes them too hot

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Thank you once again haydent. :D

i guess that it would be good to add at the Wiki these two Hardware mods , one in front and the other in back side of MinimOSD. ;)

haydent

Post by haydent »

i believe they are on the http://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/wiki/minimosd wiki which in the same board but arducopter firmware

linuxslate

Post by linuxslate »

Since we are (sort of) on the topic, and I did a little research, I thought I would post the following:

I got curious as to how they arrived at the resistor values shown on the hardware mods page:
http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... dware_Mods

The resistor values are much different than those for doing the same thing (e.g. Battery voltage) on the Flight Controller.

I am powering my Video system from a seperate 2S LiPo. The MinimOSD will read the Flight battery voltage from the FC, but I need to do the voltage divider thing for the Video Battery Voltage. (I'd like to know about it before I suddenly go "blind", or at the least, damage my Video LiPo.)

Since I am using a 2S Lipo (7.4V nominal, 8.4 Max) I wanted to adjust the resistor values for approx. 8.4V max. I know the LiPo should never exceed that, and I will have much better resolution than with the default values, as they basically would "waste" half the analog scale.

The GUI will let me enter a divider value, so then (by trial an error at worst) I can figure out the correct value to enter into the GUI.

Short answer: The resistor values are different since the FC analog ports are referenced to 5V, but the MinimOSD is referenced to 1.1 volts.

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/AnalogReference

Configures the reference voltage used for analog input (i.e. the value used as the top of the input range). The options are:

DEFAULT: the default analog reference of 5 volts (on 5V Arduino boards) or 3.3 volts (on 3.3V Arduino boards)
--> INTERNAL: an built-in reference, equal to 1.1 volts on the ATmega168 or ATmega328 and 2.56 volts on the ATmega8 (not available on the Arduino Mega)
    INTERNAL1V1: a built-in 1.1V reference (Arduino Mega only)
    INTERNAL2V56: a built-in 2.56V reference (Arduino Mega only)
    EXTERNAL: the voltage applied to the AREF pin (0 to 5V only) is used as the reference.

(Note line with arrow added)

From the source code, KV_Team_OSD.ino, Line 83

analogReference(INTERNAL);

So, using:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... oldiv.html

I calculated that the given values (22K and 1.5K) Give 0.8 Volts at the pin for a fully charged 3SLiPo -- are logical resistor values, and provide some safety margin -- Don't forget about the tolerance of the resistors... (Figure about 20% for the "10% tolerance" resistors that come from certain "Shacks that sell Radios".)

For a 2S LiPo powering the Video side of things, I calculated:
R1 = 22KΩ, R2 =2.7KΩ

Gives 0.91 Volts for a fully charged 2S LiPo. Still almost 0.2V margin from hitting AREF, and good use of the bits available in the Analog to Digital Converter. It also adds slightly less drain to the video battery, but that is negligible.

The correct value for the Video Battery Divider, S_VIDDIVIDERRATIO, is left for homework. --- No, actually I'll post mine once I get it all working.

Verify before use. Make sure you never change your mind, and start using a 3S LiPo (or power your MinimOSD from the flight LiPo). Applying greater than 1.1 volts to the analog pins may permanently damage your MinimOSD.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Hi again.
I'm using a test "board" like this one

in order to verify that everything is connected and working properly...but I'm facing this problem
In my tests.... the image i take in my laptop is too blurry like this...

But when i hold my hand in minimOsd the image is much more clear like this

The circuit powered from a single 3S Lipo...

Any idea why my image is so blurry ?
Thank you in advance.

doppler

Post by doppler »

bad grounding? As described it sure seems that way.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Probably yes....but where ? :?
the image gets clear only when i touch both sides (front - back) at the same time :shock:

Deet

Post by Deet »

NikTheGreek wrote:Probably yes....but where ? :?
the image gets clear only when i touch both sides (front - back) at the same time :shock:

You really should be using shielded cables for the video leads

linuxslate

Post by linuxslate »

How are you doing your power?

Are the power (power and ground) jumpers jumped, or isolated?

What voltage (and from what source) are you powering the video side?

Check power carefully before jumpering anything.

Also check for multiple ground paths (video side). You could have a ground loop.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

How are you doing your power?

The Crius AIOP powered with 5 volt through 5V/3A BEC
and minimOSD Powered with 5 Volt from FTDI side taken by the Crius AIOP Serial port

Are the power (power and ground) jumpers jumped, or isolated?

I guess you ask if the pads are soldered or not.
if you look at the previus page you will see tha solders in the board i made.

What voltage (and from what source) are you powering the video side?

12V and GND directly from the same Lipo Battery that powers the Crius AIOP

Check power carefully before jumpering anything.

Also check for multiple ground paths (video side). You could have a ground loop.

Double checked and everything is OK

Thank you Linuxslate for your help :)

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

I quit !!! :cry:
All components in the right side (OUTPUT side) of MAX7456 checked with my multimeter and found OK !!!
I dont know what else might cause this problem

Deet

Post by Deet »

You need to use SHIELDED video cables, you cant use normal servo leads from the OSD to the Vtx

Peter

Post by Peter »

You can. I'm using servo leads without any problem. Shielded would be better though, but most cameras and video transmitters are delivered without.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

You need to use SHIELDED video cables,

Shielded cables is the next step..

Thank you all for your help.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

PROBLEM SOLVED !!! :D
I don't know the purpose of its existence but inside my cam there is a small trimmer(pot). :shock:
A small adjustment and the OSD working perfectly !!!

Thank you all for your help.