KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
dramida

Re: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by dramida »

kataventos wrote:
dramida wrote:I had several FPV long flights with minim OSD and R345 of KV_Team and i found a serious bug which made me lose orientation several previous flights:

The Home arrow drifts 45 degrees left off target when starts to move back home from long trips.The change of home is at 3:17 when starting twords home from PH stationary position (i knew location visualy)
...but Home arrow heading is off by 45 degrees left

After seeing the home location as i land, you could judge for yourself if you could reach home following home arrow. My two previous atempts failed and i brought the copter home visualy from a few hundreds meters.
I tested RTH and works right on target as i calibrated the mag previously. So the error must be in OSD.

Hi,
will try to reproduce the error flying far as soon as the weather permits. But at this moment I can say that I never had that problem and I can assure you plenty of flights with it.
I am not saying that the bug is not there, just saying that I need to reproduce in order to fix and so far so good...

Cheers,
KV

EDIT: Since what distance are you having that issue, can you say...?? One thing crossed my mind at this moment ;)

Hi, i flew 3 times, more than 650m each time, something like 700-800-1026m.
I noticed the bug second time when returning, i couldn't find the home location based on arrow for the second time, so thirg time i took a sharp look at the area and come back visualy.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KasparsL wrote:
howardhb wrote:@KasparsL, just for your tests, attached is a working hex file, compiled and tested working, a few minutes ago.
note: It has a few simple layout changes as described in my posts above....

KV_Team_OSD_HEX.zip

Thanks for the hex! I tried it and it did not work. But after further research i have find out, that the isue is with EEPROM writing or reading. The eeprom is always empty (all 0xFF).
I changed the code like this:

Code: Select all

void readEEPROM(void)
{
  for(int en=0;en<EEPROM_SETTINGS;en++){
     Settings[en] = EEPROM_DEFAULT[en];
  }
}

and

1,   // S_BOARDTYPE

It works like that, I see everything on screen, can controll it (simulate) and even font upload worked, but ofcorse cant change any settings....
I will try other eeprom writing code to make sure, that eeprom is not damaged.
Any other thoughts? I did not see any locks on memory, maybe i need to look elsewhere?

OK, I see that the problem is what I was imagining, you cannot reach the EEPROM, now we just need to find out what a f... caused that!

Tell me something first of all... you said earlier that you had to burn the bootloader. What happened, why had you to?

KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:
I noticed the bug second time when returning, i couldn't find the home location based on arrow for the second time, so thirg time i took a sharp look at the area and come back visualy.

OK let me have a flight to test that!

(out of topic) did you checked the MAX capacitors? answer that on youtube if you want.

Edit: Sorry you have answered already! :ugeek:

Cheers,
KV

dramida

Post by dramida »

kataventos wrote:
dramida wrote:

OK let me have a flight and I will tell you if it is a bug.

(out of topic) did you checked the MAX capacitors? answer that on youtube if you want.

Cheers,
KV

Regarding this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFfTc9lNYXY the recorded image looks jittery because i have a faulty video jack in my dvr. The image on the monitor is crisp. Anyway i have a poor range, half as usual in 200mW 5.8Ghz band because i have a slightly miss-tuned antennas, as the nearest channel from 5820mhz (where antennas were calculated) is is 5885Mhz.

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

kataventos wrote:OK, I see that the problem is what I was imagining, you cannot reach the EEPROM, now we just need to find out what a f... caused that!

Tell me something first of all... you said earlier that you had to burn the bootloader. What happened, why had you to?

KV

I programmed bootloader again, because at first I was lazy and avrisp programmer was closer than usb-to-ttl to me =] (actually i did not think that this OSD board have bootloader in it ;) ). But after it did not work I wanted to make sure that rx an tx are correctly connected, I burned bootloader back to program directly from arduino ide.

I have wrote simple EEPROM test sketch, and it is working. I can write and read it with no problems.
Please see the attached link to screenshot http://kaspars.id.lv/projects/osd_scrn_02.png .

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

@ kataventos

I have find the problem!

The issue is with EEPROM checking. The routine "void checkEEPROM(void)" check first location of EEPROM, if it is 0x00 then it writes defaults to it. BUT the default for empty EEPROM is 0xFF , so it thinks that there are values stored already.

So I changed it to check for 0xFF and it works. It wrote default values after power up and in GUI now I can change settings.

void checkEEPROM(void)
{
  uint8_t EEPROM_Loaded = EEPROM.read(0);
  if (EEPROM_Loaded == 0xFF){
    for(uint8_t en=0;en<EEPROM_SETTINGS;en++){
      if (EEPROM.read(en) != EEPROM_DEFAULT[en])
        EEPROM.write(en,EEPROM_DEFAULT[en]);
    }
  }
}

Maybe You should pre-load the "default" values when uploading the sketch? Because if I had some code before, which was using EEPROM - it could run into same issue (if its not cleared because of something).

power67

Post by power67 »

We have seen this issue before KasparsL,

We always suggest that if you have any issues with settings, or the board was used before, perform an EEPROM Erase, (part of the Arduino examples).

the checkEEPROM routine works fine in its original state.

as a check, please perform the eeprom erase, then load all the original r345 code and test. I think you will find that everything works fine.

Thanks
Ross

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

power67 wrote:We have seen this issue before KasparsL,

We always suggest that if you have any issues with settings, or the board was used before, perform an EEPROM Erase, (part of the Arduino examples).

the checkEEPROM routine works fine in its original state.

as a check, please perform the eeprom erase, then load all the original r345 code and test. I think you will find that everything works fine.

Thanks
Ross

But I was doing that before and it did not work. Bu default eeprom has 0xff and it was. And after loading the original no-modified code, the serial comunication did not work. I was also erasing everything (even bootloader) using programmer (so chip was virgin) and uploading as hex file - still did not work.

I tried one more time:
1. cleared EEPROM (all 0xFF)
2. uploaded v345
3. run gui press reset, press restart = no response, doesnt work

4. changed to look for 0xFF
5. uploaded modified v345
6. run gui, straight away i see different switch positions when connected. It works.

7. uploaded original v345
8. gui works as expected (because eeprom has good values loaded from previous upload)

Why wan't you make the eeprom check little more precise?

I noticed that the options are selected for example if EEPROM at "address" is exactly '0' or exactly '1'. But what happens when the value is 255? Mybe it is good thing to have 'default' thing to do? Like if '0', if '1', if '2', if 'else' . Then there would not be any hanging in code.

Only way I can see why it worked for others, that there is something in eeprom written by default in minimOSD Atmega. I do not have a "fresh" board to check.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KasparsL wrote:1. cleared EEPROM (all 0xFF)
2. uploaded v345
3. run gui press reset, press restart = no response, doesnt work

4. changed to look for 0xFF
5. uploaded modified v345
6. run gui, straight away i see different switch positions when connected. It works.

7. uploaded original v345
8. gui works as expected (because eeprom has good values loaded from previous upload)

Why wan't you make the eeprom check little more precise?

I noticed that the options are selected for example if EEPROM at "address" is exactly '0' or exactly '1'. But what happens when the value is 255? Mybe it is good thing to have 'default' thing to do? Like if '0', if '1', if '2', if 'else' . Then there would not be any hanging in code.

Only way I can see why it worked for others, that there is something in eeprom written by default in minimOSD Atmega. I do not have a "fresh" board to check.

Hi KasparsL,

OK I see, good job you have done though. ;) It is difficult for us to fix an issue that we just can not reproduce.
We are going to work and solve that for next release but for now it was just on both OSD´s you have, let´s wait if anyone more have complains about that.

Question: What had you installed on them before KVTeam firmware?

Cheers,
KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:...serious bug which made me lose orientation

Hi Dragu,

yes there was something funny on the

void displayDirectionToHome(void)
I have already fixed it with another formula, it is OK now and will be on the next release.

Thanks for pointed that out.

Cheers,
KV

mysku82

Post by mysku82 »

Hello
I have a problem with the video voltage, voltage not show me, on MinimOSD
I respected exactly "hardware mods".
It's a software bug?

Thanks

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

kataventos wrote:Question: What had you installed on them before KVTeam firmware?
Cheers,
KV

The first was Rushduino v2.1 firmware. But as mentioned, I did not realize, that this minimOSD board had bootloader form factory pre-installed. So first time I programmed it with ARVISP programmer - deleting the bootloader and, probably, clearing the eeprom.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I fley with MinimOSD 345 and i am not happy with Home Arrow. I took off from gas station near the road. Please observe the offset of the home arow at 4:53. The gas station is in left, near the road and the home arrow points right. This behaviour happen only when moving, if i stand still in PH, the Home arrow is good. See the GPS pos Hold and the good arrow, and when ai disengage the GPS PH, the arrow shifts to right guiding me in a wrong way.

The video with the minute specified is here: http://youtu.be/doEWDyIfp1I?t=4m53s

p.s.
Battery voltage works fine if is read from MWC, no need to mood your osd hardware, Mysku call me to debug your setup.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:I fley with MinimOSD 345 and i am not happy with Home Arrow...

Hi, as I said before the arrow was not good but, I have already fixed it for the next release.

KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

mysku82 wrote:Hello
I have a problem with the video voltage, voltage not show me, on MinimOSD
I respected exactly "hardware mods".
It's a software bug?

Thanks

Hi,
what is your problem? Please describe in detail... not shown can be lots of stuff ;)
Software was tested for analogue inputs and no bug found.

KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KasparsL wrote:The first was Rushduino v2.1 firmware. But as mentioned, I did not realize, that this minimOSD board had bootloader form factory pre-installed. So first time I programmed it with ARVISP programmer - deleting the bootloader and, probably, clearing the eeprom.

:ugeek: :? :roll: ...

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

To all,

it was "discussed" here before about the RSSI on MINIM OSD and now on MW_FC board using the FRSky receivers that only output PWM signal (Pulse with modulation).
The analogue inputs from both boards need a constant voltage reading, and for this you need a low pass filter.

I modified the available FRSky.com draw to the correct R and C values.

From the receivers RSSI output feed it to a 10KOhm resistor. At the other end of the resistor, connect it it a 47uF capacitor whose other end goes to GND.
From resistor/capacitor joint, add an 1kOhm resistor and from that go to the analog input on you MW FC. Some site´s explaining the usage of the low pass filter do not add the 1k resistor but, it prevents the capacitor from emptying its charge into your flight control or OSD port too fast when the system is powered off.

PWM to Voltage.jpg

Hope this help you guys.

Cheers,
KV

dramida

Post by dramida »

kataventos wrote:
dramida wrote:I fley with MinimOSD 345 and i am not happy with Home Arrow...

Hi, as I said before the arrow was not good but, I have already fixed it for the next release.

KV

Thanks alot Kata, this OSD is Awsome!

I didn't saw your previous post.

You should also double check the vertical speed indicator as i have footage in which the baro altitude stays constant on the left but the vertical speed is -3m/s for a while.
And BTW, R2 is not needed as the input impedance of analog ports of atmega is much higher (MegaOhm) so R2 is neglijable.
For R-C filter i am using 4u7 with 100k SMD, all wraped in a shrink tube. The 47 uF is a little bit larger and takes more space so i preferred the 4.7 capacitor.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:R2 is not needed as the input impedance of analog ports of atmega is much higher (tens of MegaOhm) so R2 is neglijable.
For R-C filter i am using 4u7 with 100k SMD, all wraped in a shrink tube. The 47 uF is a little bit larger and takes more space so i preferred the 4.7 capacitor.

Well, both ways should work just fine anyway, some of the guy´s do not find such parts in regular electronic stores neither the skills to solder them together, and with the ones above they should have no problem on both, they too fit in a heat shrink small tube, just not so small as yours ;) The R2 was thinking on more then just MEGA Boards...
I will inclusive add this to the repository wiki for some guys that like the MINIM mods and others with DIY OSD´s running with same type of connections as the ones we support at this time (Minim and Rush).

Cheers,
KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:
You should also double check the vertical speed indicator...

OK, I will pay attention to that on next flight´s :roll:

KV

dramida

Post by dramida »

I rewatched the flight and here you can see abnormal behaviour shown on OSD, regarding vertical speed in relation to barometric altitude:

http://youtu.be/doEWDyIfp1I?t=1m32s ( from min1.32 on left altitude is rapidly increasing from 133 to 140m but the vertical speed shows 0) :!:

http://youtu.be/doEWDyIfp1I?t=1m58s ( from min 1.58 to 2.07 the altitude stays constant but vertical speed shows -1 or -2m/s) :shock:

http://youtu.be/doEWDyIfp1I?t=2m11s (from min 2.11 to 2.15 the vertical speed is negative but altitude increases from 137 to 140m) :shock:

etc.....

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

dramida wrote:I rewatched the flight and here you can see abnormal behaviour shown on OSD, regarding vertical speed in relation to barometric altitude:

http://youtu.be/doEWDyIfp1I?t=1m32s ( from min1.32 on left altitude is rapidly increasing from 133 to 140m but the vertical speed shows 0) :!:

http://youtu.be/doEWDyIfp1I?t=1m58s ( from min 1.58 to 2.07 the altitude stays constant but vertical speed shows -1 or -2m/s) :shock:

http://youtu.be/doEWDyIfp1I?t=2m11s (from min 2.11 to 2.15 the vertical speed is negative but altitude increases from 137 to 140m) :shock:

etc.....

Hi Dragu,
Yes, I saw the issue, but looking at OSD code I really do not understand...the code only convert with the selected units (Metric/Ipmerial) the vertical speed (vario) received from MWii serial port and show it on screen.
My opinion is that the vario speed is not correctly calculated as I saw also that the vertical speed is strongly influenced if the copter is fliyng flat at high speed (I've not yet tested last MWii vers. 2.2).
I think that the vario calcs must involve all acc axis, may be with last MWii vers. 2.2 it's solved, I need to verify this.
Ciao
Carlo

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

I have noticed one closing bracket, before ''displayCursor();", missing in latest "screen.ino" file (rev: r08b3574de1f5, 12.03.2013). Without it, the code will not compile.

MAX7456_WriteString(itoa(temperMAX,screenBuffer,10),MAGD-3);
  }
  displayCursor();
}

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@ KasparsL

Yep ;) I have made some cleaning to the code and accidently deleted it! Sorry for not replying earlier but I am with lot´s of work and preparing myself for the vacations starting tomorrow :mrgreen:
Carlo have already fixed it on the repo.

To all,

does anyone use temperature meter? if yes, are the readings correct?

Thanks.
Cheers,
KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:you can see abnormal behaviour shown on OSD, regarding vertical speed in relation to barometric altitude...

Hi,

already checked and there is nothing wrong with the OSD code regarding this supposed "issue". The OSD only displays what MW FC sends.
I was not able to reproduce it until now! I will make a dev demo video during this vacations week.

KV

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

kataventos wrote:@ KasparsL

..... preparing myself for the vacations starting tomorrow :mrgreen:
Cheers,
KV

Hi Enrique,
Have a nice vacation, :) , hope you came back soon :mrgreen:

Ciao

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

this is the test video description:

"Just a flight test with r345 and MW 2.2. Sorry for the vibes but it needs to be better tuned, as well as some ball bearing change also! :)

There are issues that need to be figured and they are not with the OSD code, I found the out almost the same problem with the home arrow indicator even after I coded a new formula, the only way to see if this is what I think it is, is to downgrade MW version to r1240 used for first developments because the issue was not there, the other way is to when I see this coming (wrong home indication) make a return home and see the drone and arrow behavior, this is the way to start debugging because the simulator does not lie if you know what I mean... The tool is there, you just need to use it ;)

As for AH (because of temperature I think, need to calibrate all sensors on the field on next flight) is not correct with the real movements after some time flying and in some "rare" conditions. If you experience this issue, it is too, coming from the flight control board and have nothing to do with the OSD code because, if you drop the sticks the drone will drift and AH is correct and leveled so, "it thinks that is leveled".

This can sound strange but, the direction facing will influence on this too as well as the home direction arrow.
(e.g) depending on the direction they can change behavior!?

This issues were acquired during this first flight test with both latest developments and they need to be reproduced again by me and the entire KV Team so we can confirm them.

Fly safe.
Cheers,
KV "

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMsvyXO ... e=youtu.be

Peter

Post by Peter »

Testing r345 I noticed that my voltage is 0.3volt higher than the voltage in the multiwii GUI. Do I also need to tune the voltage display in the osd?
Is it possible to read main and video voltage from mw?
Why is there a GPS alt field? Can it be disabled?
It would be nice to have a percentage for main battery.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the software, thanks!

dramida

Post by dramida »

I'll activate RTH when i will notice wrong arrow direction. Until now i observed that when stationary, home arrow is good.

Here is MinimOSD V0.345put to the test over the city in a photo shooting FPV session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVtCWQiGy0

I have some doubts about RSSI indicator, some times when i shut down the transmitter, RSSI gows unexpectedly for a second to 100% then drops to 0. (using Frsky receiver with latest D8R-XP software)

Best regards,
Mihai

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

dramida wrote:I'll activate RTH when i will notice wrong arrow direction. Until now i observed that when stationary, home arrow is good.

Here is MinimOSD V0.345put to the test over the city in a photo shooting FPV session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVtCWQiGy0

I have some doubts about RSSI indicator, some times when i shut down the transmitter, RSSI gows unexpectedly for a second to 100% then drops to 0. (using Frsky receiver with latest D8R-XP software)

Best regards,
Mihai

Hi Mihai,
Thanks for your vid, is very useful for KV team OSD.
I saw almost all data are shown correctly.
Climb rate appear very good, when the copter is in alt-hold, this show 0mt/sec, when is rising or descending show almost good values related to altitude indicator (baro, not GPS alt).
Only a big dubt is about trip on statistics after land, 1507 mt appear too big, I don't think you run 1500mt, may be the actual calculation of trip it's not so accurate (integration of MWii GPS speed). We need to find a new algorithm to calc it.

Ciao, Carlo

power67

Post by power67 »

Wow, over 300 downloads and not a single donation...... you guys are a tough to please.
We realy want to make this the best OSD out there for the MultiWii, so if you like it, throw a dog a bone. with your help, it will be.

shikra

Post by shikra »

A million thanks and have a beer on me.... hopefully a few others will follow

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Dunno how much your beer costs, but I just donated a couple... :!:

KoekieMonster

Post by KoekieMonster »

Would like to donate you a few beers if I get it going.
can get these ones going: http://code.google.com/p/rushduino-osd/
But KV_team_osd just outputs black screen (no cam connected). I have made my board like this: osd-multiwii using this schematic: schematic

Can anyone point me in the direction of where it is going wrong?

rotary65

SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by rotary65 »

Gesture of appreciation sent!

I am very encouraged by your progress and hope you continue your good work!

I removed an Eagle Tree OSD and a Dragon V2 OSD out of my two FPV multicopters to replace them with RCT minimOSDs running this firmware. One is on a Naze32/baseflight, the other on an AIO Pro1.0 running MWC. I'm still tweaking the power function on both (direct on the OSD on the Naze32 setup because Powermeter doesn't pass through on the MSP serial protocol implementation in baseflight yet).

I'm still waiting for the snow to melt here, but I should be able to do flight tests soon.

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

KoekieMonster wrote:Would like to donate you a few beers if I get it going.
can get these ones going: http://code.google.com/p/rushduino-osd/
But KV_team_osd just outputs black screen (no cam connected). I have made my board like this: osd-multiwii using this schematic: schematic

Can anyone point me in the direction of where it is going wrong?

That schematic looks like a Rushduino.
Make sure you select RUSH in the GUI. Also, what type of camera, PAL or NTSC ?
Sellect rush.png

Also, your schematic shows the LED connected to arduino digital pin 5, but in MinimOSD it is connected arduino digital pin 7.
So you will have to edit the Setup() function in KV_Team_OSD.ino

void setup()
{
  //Led output
  //pinMode(7,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(5,OUTPUT);

and in loop()

// Blink Basic Sanity Test Led at 1hz
  if(tenthSec>10)
    digitalWrite(5,HIGH);
  else
    digitalWrite(5,LOW);

And another thing, your schematic shows a buzzer in the circuit.
KV_Team MinimOSD does not (at this time) support a buzzer, but you could hack the original buzzer code from:
https://code.google.com/p/osd-max7456-multiwii/downloads/detail?name=osd_max7456_multiwii_V1_1.zip&can=2&q=

Oh, and you MUST also upload the character map.

Hope this helps.

Howard.
Last edited by howardhb on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KoekieMonster

Post by KoekieMonster »

I believe it is a rushduino indeed, and I am very sorry, but I have allready tried the above things(I did not use the buzzer since my multiwii has one, I did move the LED to the right pin in the software) but, unfortunately there is something going wrong in the GUI connection I think, when I write the new settings and then read them again they reset to their default, what could cause this? the serial port is working fine when I upload the new character map(not through the GUI but by using this sketch: character upload sketch).
I am using a PAL camera btw.

Thanks for your help

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Maybe the Atmega's EEPROM needs to be cleared completely first. (this is a known issue, reported before)

To do this, up-load the Arduino sketch: Arduino\Files\Examples\EEPROM\eeprom_clear.ino

Then re-load KV_Team_OSD sketch.

H.

power67

Post by power67 »

KoekieMonster

I think it is great that you wish to implement the KV_Team_OSD on a custom board.

now let's see if we can get it to work for you.

a few things first.

1. If this hardware setup is correct and is a "clone" of the Rushuino, have you uploaded the original Rushduino code and been able to see anything?

2. Are you getting any default values when you perform a read in the GUI? other then all off and 0s ?

3. try the above suggestion, we have seen some none rush/minim Atmega EEPROMs have some strange data causing some issues.

4. The default values in the OSD code are for the rushduino board, you should not need to have to change anything through the gui to get something on the screen.
(unless something is different from the original rush hardware. in that case some code modification will be required, and that would be very difficult on our end as we do not have your custom board.)

5. Triple check your board for matching the schematic, it is easy to miswire a custom board like this. I even print the schematic out and highlight every trace on the page after checking. check the component values again as well. But, if your answer to question 1 is yes it works with the original Rush firmware, then we know you have the board hardware setup correct.

Let us know the above, and post a screen cap of the gui after a read. and a picture of your actual board.

Thanks
Ross

power67

Post by power67 »

Thank You to those that have donated, we now have 4 donations, if you dont mind, I would like to add your names to our Supporters page I will use the names provided by paypal.

The above post and hardware issues is exactly why donations will help make it the best, if we have the resources to get,build and test projects like that board, we can make sure our system works well with it.

Thank you again.

Ross

shikra

Post by shikra »

I had this last night - I had uploaded a different sketch previously. SImply forgot to re-upload the kvosd sketches. Re-uploaded and off it went.

KoekieMonster wrote:I believe it is a rushduino indeed, and I am very sorry, but I have allready tried the above things(I did not use the buzzer since my multiwii has one, I did move the LED to the right pin in the software) but, unfortunately there is something going wrong in the GUI connection I think, when I write the new settings and then read them again they reset to their default, what could cause this? the serial port is working fine when I upload the new character map(not through the GUI but by using this sketch: character upload sketch).
I am using a PAL camera btw.

Thanks for your help

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

if you dont mind, I would like to add your names to our Supporters page I will use the names provided by paypal.

No worries!
I just love this hobby - it keeps me out of the Pub!

H.

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

@power67: Sure, fine by me. If it will help encourage others, then it's a good idea.

KoekieMonster

Post by KoekieMonster »

thank you for your help, this is what I tried:
1. Yes, I have attached a .zip file which contains a working project.
2. Nope, no data from GUI (this is a problem, I know, I just don't know what's causing it. I made an echo program and it works (at 115200) so the connections are right.
3. tried, no improvement.
4. when I boot, I see an image for the camera for a few sec's and after that I get a blue screen.
5. I have checked it, and since it is working with the other firmware I don't think this is where the problem is.

Attachments:
board backside
board frontside
screencap of GUI after read
Attachments
KV_Team_OSD_not_working_KoekieMonster.zip
Not working project
(26.85 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Rush_OSD_Verified_KoekieMonster.zip
Working project
(21.78 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

KoekieMonster wrote:thank you for your help, this is what I tried:
1. Yes, I have attached a .zip file which contains a working project.
2. Nope, no data from GUI (this is a problem, I know, I just don't know what's causing it. I made an echo program and it works (at 115200) so the connections are right.
3. tried, no improvement.
4. when I boot, I see an image for the camera for a few sec's and after that I get a blue screen.
5. I have checked it, and since it is working with the other firmware I don't think this is where the problem is.

Attachments:
board backside
board frontside
screencap of GUI after read

Hi KoekieMonster,
I saw the top view of your OSD, it's not so easy to check in detail your components assembly, but if I'm not wrong, I don't see the two cap of about 18 or 22pF that must be connected to the cristal (16MHz) and ground.
Is the cristal connected at the 2 terminals outside of the picture on lower side?
Hope to correctly saw as I don't have this kind of printed circuit.
Bye
Carlo

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Thank you all for your "appreciation" :D sure made us very happy!

@KoekieMonster,

the "verified" firmware is the KV Team 2.1 and if it works, the latest developments should work as well.

Simple question: What changes did you made to the original (KV Team 2.1) for it to work, if any :?:

Cheers,
KV

KoekieMonster

Post by KoekieMonster »

Hi, The SMD crystals just came in, so I'll solder them tonight(GMT+1), together with the caps. didn't think it would make a problem since the 2.1 version does work.
will report my findings after that.

changes I made to 2.1:
#define RUSHDUINO
#define VideoSignalType_PAL
const char videoSignalType=1
#define BST 5 //LED moved from pin 7 to pin 5

so nothing fancy, just the PAL and rushduino actually.

thanks for your help.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KoekieMonster wrote:Hi, The SMD crystals just came in, so I'll solder them tonight(GMT+1), together with the caps. didn't think it would make a problem since the 2.1 version does work.
will report my findings after that.

changes I made to 2.1:
#define RUSHDUINO
#define VideoSignalType_PAL
const char videoSignalType=1
#define BST 5 //LED moved from pin 7 to pin 5

so nothing fancy, just the PAL and rushduino actually.

thanks for your help.

OK so, just the LED sanity test pin, because everything else is default even on latest developments.

0,   // S_BOARDTYPE
1,   // S_VIDEOSIGNALTYPE

Good luck and don´t forget to report.
Cheers,
KV

power67

Post by power67 »

I have added 5 people to the Supporters list on the Google Code site. Thank you for your donations and as Rotory65 said, we hope it encourages others to follow their lead and be part of the growing KV OSD Team.

We are working on some exciting enhancements for the next release.

Ross

KoekieMonster

Post by KoekieMonster »

Like I said I soldered the caps, unfortunately the crystals I ordered are the wrong footprint so the big 16 MHz is still there.
I have been unable to test it yet, will try this evening and then report.
(to be honest, I dont think it will work now, any other ideas of what changes might affect my results?)