KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
dramida

Re: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by dramida »

The easy way to remove TQFP atmega is with a 8mm square hot air nozzle, but i gues you don't have one.
So the next thing which cross my mind is to use a thick coper wire soldered around all pins as a tight square. Then put your hot iron on the wire and if you have enough heat power, all the solder around atmega chip will melt.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:The easy way to remove TQFP atmega is with a 8mm square hot air nozzle, but i gues you don't have one.
So the next thing which cross my mind is to use a thick coper wire soldered around all pins as a tight square. Then put your hot iron on the wire and if you have enough heat power, all the solder around atmega chip will melt.

Tanks Dragu, that seems like a way to go, I will try that... I think I have a big 80w soldering Iron

Cheers,
KV

shikra

Post by shikra »

If you have hot air rework its best way, but board is small - easly to dislodge other components.
If you have a very sharp scalpel you can cut the pins. Then remove the chip. Leaves all the legs on the PCB sticking up. These you can just hook off with an iron.
Cut towards chip and not pcb.. or you will cut tracks

Now clean up with some solder braid.
Next I put new chip on and tack corner pins.
Then put lots of special smt rework flux over the pins and run solder / iron quickly down the side. And check very carefully for shorts between pins. The max chip is a little tricky. It is impossible without that flux!!

I used to be a pcb tech - have removed and resoldered many. Usually once cleaned up you can't tell... but I still screw up sometimes.

I wouldn't recommend unless have some experience. Someone esle paid for my mistakes to learn!!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shikra wrote:If you have hot air rework its best way, but board is small - easly to dislodge other components.
If you have a very sharp scalpel you can cut the pins. Then remove the chip. Leaves all the legs on the PCB sticking up. These you can just hook off with an iron.
Cut towards chip and not pcb.. or you will cut tracks

Now clean up with some solder braid.
Next I put new chip on and tack corner pins.
Then put lots of special smt rework flux over the pins and run solder / iron quickly down the side. And check very carefully for shorts between pins. The max chip is a little tricky. It is impossible without that flux!!

I used to be a pcb tech - have removed and resoldered many. Usually once cleaned up you can't tell... but I still screw up sometimes.

I wouldn't recommend unless have some experience. Someone esle paid for my mistakes to learn!!

Thanks, it is another way to go, understood it clearly. I am used to this kind of Micro soldering as you can see on my PIC, but never desoldered an Atmel.

Cheers,
KV

PS: I would never use this one anyway in that condition, I will take the risc and report back as soon as I have the time to this operation! ;)

shikra

Post by shikra »

Well I still havent received mine from china, so fixed it up a week or two ago. I only flew once in January. And once in feb. Weather here stinks too!!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

krystal wrote:Video battery voltage mod:

Next time I will show how to connect temperature sensor.

Kataventos do you know how to delete all characters from OSD? I need only oryginal video from osd without characters. How to do that?

HI, I will add your Pic to the repository, Thanks.

As for your question, I do not understand what you want to do at all :mrgreen:

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

krystal wrote:
Kataventos do you know how to delete all characters from OSD? I need only oryginal video from osd without characters. How to do that?

this should be the default character map
Attachments
DEFAULTCM.zip
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

krystal

Post by krystal »

kataventos wrote:

I will prepare Anti Blue Screen with minimOSD board :D
One question. How to run OSD GUI?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

krystal wrote:
kataventos wrote:

I will prepare Anti Blue Screen with minimOSD board :D
One question. How to run OSD GUI?

OK I have seen the default character map. Well, there is no way to erase that, only uploading a new one or an empty one!

EDIT: Here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=922&start=760#p30926

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi all,

please check this link, you are welcome to participate!

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... v-team-osd

Cheers,
KV

urkadurka

Post by urkadurka »

Hi, I bougth a clone of minim osd from RCTIMER (http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=) but after chars and software download (I followed http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... Map_Upload) the screeen isn't like expected :shock: , there are a lot of strange chars :( .

So, please could help to understand or investigate ?

Bye

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

urkadurka wrote:Hi, I bougth a clone of minim osd from RCTIMER (http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=) but after chars and software download (I followed http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... Map_Upload) the screeen isn't like expected :shock: , there are a lot of strange chars :( .

So, please could help to understand or investigate ?

Bye

Hi,

I think that your problem have been mentioned here before. The clone you use is a little different, so, please take some good pictures of both sides of it and post them here.

Probably you are not getting the new char map on max as it should, because you are not connecting both sides of the board, neither the mod that you suppose to do!

Cheers,
KV

urkadurka

Post by urkadurka »

Hi,

Thanks for the answer
I inserted these two images, both are from rctimer on line store.
So if you need more detail I can do more detailed photos

Bye
http://www.gte-elicotteri.com

rotary65

SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by rotary65 »

KV needs pics of your exact board to verify if soldering has been done to bridge the video (which is powered via a regulator from 12vdc) and processing (powered at 5vdc via the ftdi connector) sides or not. If the halves are not bridged, you need to provide 12vdc via the video connector in order to power the Max OSD chip while you are running the font loader (while connected to the PC via ftdi).

Version 1 of the clone board has an undersized voltage regulator and will overheat, so the bridge must be done which will run the whole board off the 5vdc from the ftdi port. V2 has a beefier regulator and should be fine without the bridge being done (ie. running the video side off the 12v input and the processor side off the 5v input).

I have 3 of the same RC Timer v2 OSDs and they came unbridged.

Another possibility is that you uploaded the font loader using arduino, but didn't upload the font file using the terminal software. There are two steps to the font update.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

Urkadurka please read Rotary65 email carefully and proceed accordingly.

But there is something annoying there, I do not see any jumpers on the RCTimer version of Minim! But it does look to have better regulator and noise filter.

Please confirm.

Cheers,
KV

PS: Nice flying Group you have there on your site! ;)

EDIT: That board can only be used with both sides connected, I followed the link you posted above.
In this case you need to connect both sides inclusive to upload the char map, hope this help you!

urkadurka

Post by urkadurka »

:D :D :D

Ohhh Yes now it does work !!

With the power supply on both side 12V and 5V the char upload was successfull. :D

I can confirm that there aren't any jumper as suggested, I think that are present on like the original one :(

Many thanks to all for the suggestion !!!

So I'm checking about power supply unit about noise and warming.

Urkadurka

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi all

we know that you all are anxious and we decided to release a KVTeam dev this weekend :mrgreen:

The responsible for the serial protocol/communication (on this case between the OSD and GUI) is no longer on this team because of bad attitude issues.
And the last one was to resign just before this release :?: On propose ? Maybe not... :geek:

OK...

This bug not always happen and involves the use of the serial port between GUI and OSD. We are sending a great deal of information over the port. If the port is closed before a msp message is completed, an unhandled error is thrown. This is due to the nature of how the MultiWii sends and receives msp commands, even when we send 32 bits of information, it is broken down into 8 bit segments for sending. Processing uses a java library called RXTX, there are know issues with this library. The larger the data stream the more chance of an error.

The OSD code is ready to rock, but at this time it depends 95% on GUI. You will be able to read and write to the EEPROM your preferences but the simulator is disabled.
We have made some progress this evening but there still is a chance that the error will occur, if it does, the user will need to shut down the app and restart.
And thats about all we can think of :(

Anyway, we will crush this bug very soon, and the OSD part is running 100%, you will enjoy for sure.

Thank you all for your help and support, go on and have fun flying with it!

Cheers,
KV
Last edited by kataventos on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dramida

Post by dramida »

Great news!
I just checked google repository from here http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... loads/list and i could't find any downloads. Is it anywere else?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:Great news!
I just checked google repository from here http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... loads/list and i could't find any downloads. Is it anywere else?

Hi Dragu,

It will be in an hour or two ;) I said this weekend :geek:

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi all,

If you would like to give us the pleasure to try our work :arrow: http://www.kvteamosd.com

Have fun!

1- upload the new Char map like before (do not use the one on GUI for now);
2- upload the Team dev (look at config.h, still are a few options left);
3- open GUI and your port, make a RESET;
4- configure it according your needs and save;
5- close port, done.

The Wiki already have crucial information about the GUI, to make possible for you to understand what to do once you´r there!

EXAMPLE - This is my setup/options on the GUI

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

Thanks for you hard work on this kataventos, I'm going to try in the morning weather permitting.

Does this do imperial or just metric?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

realpastaman wrote:Thanks for you hard work on this kataventos, I'm going to try in the morning weather permitting.

Does this do imperial or just metric?

Hi,

Do not thank only me this is a Team project.

The brains behind the GUI is RossPower67, he is still working with me on this even today after the release, we are both tracking down a persistent issue.  The true professional coder, Itai has worked hard on this release too but is no longer with us, it seems that he can do everything by itself and better then the rest of the world :roll:  we are just going to sit back and wait for his work... this way we can relax and "enjoy the flight"! Just kidding.

This team is essentially made of people who love this hobby, there are no professional coders on it (at this moment), we are just professionally persistent :mrgreen:

Another non-professional guy who translated my bad english so that everyone understands the steps to get this stuff in the air is Liam the Wiki editor.  
And we have the true bug buster Carlonb and some more that did not work as much, but they are mentioned on the code main page!

We are very grateful that everyone here is trying our work on their Minim OSD boards!
Thanks for your support, we really enjoy uploading our work for everyone so you can do what we can do with this stuff!

Cheers,
KV

PS: Imperial bug fixed ;)

cswiger

Post by cswiger »

What happened to video system in config.h ? Looks like it's hardwired for PAL now :)

/******************************************* Video System ***********************************/

//#define VideoSignalType_PAL
//const char videoSignalType=1;

#define VideoSignalType_NTSC
const char videoSignalType=0;

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

cswiger wrote:What happened to video system in config.h ? Looks like it's hardwired for PAL now :)

Hi,
now you select your preferences on the GUI.

Please read previous posts or go to the wiki on: http://www.kvteamosd.com

Cheers,
KV

Woppit

Post by Woppit »

Hi all, just like to say thanks to all the team (sorry to here about the drop outs!) for the time and effort put into this project.
Looking good and running smooth! can't wait to give it a go (still building the ground station!) but with this up front I'm sure it's going to be fun.
Thanks again

Shane

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

Trying out R280 (multiwii r1316) I have the following problems

1. There seems to be no Browse window to update the fonts through the Gui (windows 7 64 bit but using 32bit Gui)

gui.jpg

2. This is the font that shows up when I select edit from the Gui

font.jpg

3. There seem to be some strange characters on the display

dev280.jpg

Does seem to be showing imperial units correctly now.

4. Apart from non seeing a Browse button on the Gui, it seems to run really slow / laggy

5. With the previous version I used to set for example
#define STABLEMODE 1 // OK
#define BAROMODE 4 // OK
#define MAGMODE 8 // OK
//#define BOXCAMSTAB 16 // not used
#define ARMEDMODE 16 // OK
#define GPSHOMEMODE 32 // OK
#define GPSHOLDMODE 128 // OK
//#define BOXCAMTRIG 256 // not used

I cant see how to do this on R280?

Thanks to the team working on this - hope you can understand my questions

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@Realpastaman,

thank you for your reporting your experience, we appreciate that very much.
The font uploading is not working on the released dev r280, that is why you see strange stuff on screen. You can see that is not on the download file description.
When you download any file you do have a board under the link, please read carefully ... I will anyway put the none functional parts in bold!! it may help the next downloaders...

Simulator is too disabled on that dev, that´s why you can not see it mentioned.
We are at this precise moment taking care of all those "problems" ;)

You need to upload the font map like before, all other steps are OK since you were able to get it running! :mrgreen:
About mode bits! you do not need to do anything... get it ? (see description again) :ugeek:

About the very slow GUI, it is fixed at this moment, we will upload it ASAP!

Thank you once more for your support.

Cheers,
KV

PS: Don´t forget to report 8-)

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

thebgrian

Post by thebgrian »

NikTheGreek wrote:I guess that this one will do the job
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__36844__Minim_OSD_v1_1.html

Right ?

That one should do the job, and even better - it looks like it's the updated version with switching power supply for the analog side, and still have the pads to connect both sides(if you don't want to use the 12V and separate power (the RC timer version doesn't have those pads)).
There is a buddy code for 2% discount :) http://rcsearch.info/hobbyking/i36844/#catalog

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

kataventos wrote:@Realpastaman,

thank you for your reporting your experience, we appreciate that very much.
The font uploading is not working on the released dev r280, that is why you see strange stuff on screen. You can see that is not on the download file description.
When you download any file you do have a board under the link, please read carefully ... I will anyway put the none functional parts in bold!! it may help the next downloaders...

Simulator is too disabled on that dev, that´s why you can not see it mentioned.
We are at this precise moment taking care of all those "problems" ;)

You need to upload the font map like before, all other steps are OK since you were able to get it running! :mrgreen:
About mode bits! you do not need to do anything... get it ? (see description again) :ugeek:

About the very slow GUI, it is fixed at this moment, we will upload it ASAP!

Thank you once more for your support.

Cheers,
KV

PS: Don´t forget to report 8-)

Hi Kataventos In the end when I saw no browse button was working I did use Tera Term to upload the new font (the picture I uploaded before of the font map shows 16 position arrows) is that correct? If it is correct then I'm
still getting those strange characters on the screen Maybe I'll wait until the GUi allows for font updating!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@Realpastaman

Hi,
the new char map was not successfully uploaded, that one you have on the pic is the old char map.
Please try again all the steps carefully with the new char map, like I said you should be fine.

Today I made a video tutorial for the new firmware ;) and it is uploading as I am writing you... so, you all need be patient,
new and stable release will be ready for download ASAP!

Cheers,
KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi all,

this may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egStpPl9 ... e=youtu.be thanks for watching!

Cheers,
KV

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Please, may I make a special request;

define CALLSIGN XXXXXX (If the Pilot has a Ham License)

If this is defined, the OSD will display the Callsign every 10 minutes or so to be legal in some areas.

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

kataventos wrote:Hi all,

this may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egStpPl9 ... e=youtu.be thanks for watching!

Cheers,
KV

Thanks for all your work on this video - Its really easy to understand now thanks!! - Now shall i go out tonight or wait in to see if V2.2 is ready :)

Seriously big thanks to the team !!

ABL

Post by ABL »

I have old minim (marked 0.1), probably from GLB (still with linear reg). Soldered both bridges (on top and bottom), flashed arduino bootloader (with usbasp), flashed minimOSD FW, connected with arducam control software - it updated charmap, i could change settings, looks OK.
Then flashed (via FTDI) Max7456_Font_Update, uploaded font (at least, it said "successfully"), then flashed 280 rev. from downloads. Looks OK with flashing, no errors.
I installed 32-bit Java, ran KV_Team_OSD_GUI, selected port, it become green. But i could not make any changes - if i press write, nothing happens, TX LED on FTDI blinks once, RX does not blink. If i restart program and try to read anything - all values are defaults (i think, they aren't written, as there's no communication with minimosd).
Just took latest hg repo (f54c46fef29a), ran via processing, it says:

Code: Select all

WARNING:  RXTX Version mismatch
   Jar version = RXTX-2.2pre1
   native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pr

(it's described in readme) - so i guess, RXTX version is OK (running everything on 32-bit). Still nothing - can't write, but now "reset" button hangs application completely (earlier it timeouted after some time). If i turn simulation on - TX LED on FTDI blinks all time, RX still OFF.
I attached cam and easycap, when board is turned on - i get video (without any OSD elements). Connecting RX/TX to NAZE32 board (sorry, no other arduino boards available atm) doesn't make any difference.

My guess - board is working, but i management via serial port isn't working at all... I tried to connect via COM port with putty - no answer (only TX blinks if i type something, and no symbols even when i press 'reset').

Would say that serial port on board died - but i just downloaded arducam tool including FW - it successfully flashed FW, updated charmap, then i did some changes, wrote to minimosd, turned off software, turned on and read - everything is here, all changes successfully read. So, my guess there's something with GUI.

Should i expect something in OSD serial output (i mean, capture anything with putty or other serial monitor)?

Lapino

AW: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by Lapino »

Same for me...i use the minimosd 0.1 from glb and could upload anything but couldn't change the displayed values per gui.
I've another question: as i use the attopilot current and voltage sensor, can i connect the voltage sensing part directly to the belonging pin or do i have put a resistor inbetween?

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

Anyone? Please help ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi all,

please wait for KV Team 2.2 release on the repo (I or someone of this Team will post here when it´s ready) and follow this instructions exactly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7y5VCInojA

I have flashed today 3 new Minin OSD´s with no problem at all.

Cheers,
KV

alexia

Post by alexia »

kataventos wrote:Hi all,

please wait for KV Team 2.2 release on the repo (I or someone of this Team will post here when it´s ready) and follow this instructions exactly:

I have flashed today 3 new Minin OSD´s with no problem at all.

Cheers,
KV

does it minimosd from rctimer

Woppit

Post by Woppit »

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

That's the one I'm using too. But when I am using the GUI to change some things being displayed or not and hit write nothing happens...e.g. If I hit read everything is default again. How did you configure your minimosd? Maybe I uncommented or did something wrong though I did just follow the wiki...

one more thing I'm concerned about: as I have the attopilot current and voltage sensor, can i just solder the voltage sensing directly to the pin if the processor it do I have to use a resistor in between?

Thanks in advance

vpb

Post by vpb »

Hi,

I see this small Crius V/I Sensor (16$) http://www.goodluckbuy.com/crius-v-i-se ... pilot.html, can it be integrated with multiwii and use with this OSD sw? Hardware sensors will be more accuracy than sw.

ABL

Post by ABL »

kataventos wrote:please wait for KV Team 2.2 release on the repo (I or someone of this Team will post here when it´s ready) and follow this instructions exactly:

Well, just telling that "it works for me" does not means that it will work for everyone...
As i told before, i already tested latest hg snapshot, this includes latest rxtx library and performance mods. Does not make difference at all.
It seems there's something with hardware - APM FW handles that, while this one does not (and because you do not know about this - just waiting for "more features" 2.2 won't fix that).
I checked with LA, board does not output anything on TX wire when i send "read" or "write" - only "RX" is active:
But it does work OK with APM FW.... Hm.

EDIT: just noticed that there are 2 more changes on google code... Sync'ed latest changes, uploaded, added charmap, and ... Connected!
"Reset" button still hangs, but at least now it could read and save changes. And display something on screen. Also, flashing charmap (also updated) works. So far - looks good, need to test if it will take data from NAZE32 and... Will go into air! =)

Woppit

Re: AW: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by Woppit »

Lapino wrote:That's the one I'm using too. But when I am using the GUI to change some things being displayed or not and hit write nothing happens...e.g. If I hit read everything is default again. How did you configure your minimosd? Maybe I uncommented or did something wrong though I did just follow the wiki...

one more thing I'm concerned about: as I have the attopilot current and voltage sensor, can i just solder the voltage sensing directly to the pin if the processor it do I have to use a resistor in between?

Thanks in advance

Hi, to get it to work with the GUI I had to unplug FTDI from usb and plug in and re-connect until I got the red and green dots to flash showing connection.
I had to do it a couple of times but when it connected and they flash, I was able to write to the board.

If you are NOT using sensor board then you WILL need divider resistors, but the sensor board should output the correct voltage for the processor board.
Hope this helps.

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

Hi,

I solved the problem! I had to clear the EEPROM first, then everything worked like discribed in the wiki...maybe that should be added there ;)

Thank you Woppit for the sensor input, I'll try that and make a report if it works ;)
I'm really glad the other stuff like AH etc works^^

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

so...at least nothing puffed but the only values changing are Alt, heading and the horizontal line, though the amperage is kind of oscillating around 4.9Amps...with or without motors running...
so what isn't displayed correctly are the modes I'm in, armed-stat and the tuneable parameters like A/mAh/V/Rssi....strange enough the A display oscillates with 0.1 around 4.9A...though I installed the current sensor with a resistor as displayed in the wiki.
Any recommendations?

alexia

Post by alexia »

Lapino wrote:Hi,

I solved the problem! I had to clear the EEPROM first, then everything worked like discribed in the wiki...maybe that should be added there ;)

Thank you Woppit for the sensor input, I'll try that and make a report if it works ;)
I'm really glad the other stuff like AH etc works^^

how do you clear eeprom?

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

its in the arduino IDE under File->Examples->EEPROM->eeprom_clear

alexia

Post by alexia »

thanks it s very nice

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

I got a problem with the armed-status and the modes being displayed incorrect (always disarmed and in afro-mode) ...anyone got a solution to this? I use KV_Team_osd latest download version ;)