KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
dramida

Re: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by dramida »

1- I modified MAX_7456_Font_update.ino only this snippet of code

Code: Select all

#define MAX7456SELECT 6//10-ss
#define MAX7456RESET 10//10-ss

In MAX7456_font_update.ino the commentary states 9600 baud:

// MAX7456_font Sketch
// at 9600 baud it take about 1.5min to download a mcm file
// http://www.maxim-ic.com/tools/evkit/index.cfm?EVKit=558
// max7456 evaluation kit software

But in WIki (http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... Map_Upload ) it states 19200

TeraTerm Usage:

Select serial port used:
TeraTerm-serial.jpg

Setup port
TeraTerm-setup port.jpg

Port speed 19200
TeraTerm-port speed.jpg

press reset on minimOSD and here is the response:
TeraTerm- ready to download.jpg

Send file menu
TeraTerm- send file.jpg

Select mcm file (SHOULD I CHECK BINARY CHECKBOX? - i tried both ways with smae result)
TeraTerm- send file rushduino.jpg

start sending
TeraTerm-sending.jpg

download complete
TeraTerm-done.jpg

After that i uploaded RUSH_KV_2_1 using Metro Library

THE RESULT: THE OSD SHOWS NOTHING for the first 4-5 seconds, then it shows only three chars .
Ecran-OSD-Rushduino.jpg

What i am doing wrong?
Attachments
TeraTerm-sending.jpg

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

dramida, are you feeding both 5v and 12v to the osd or closed the jumpers as I told you? if not then it will never upload the fonts...

Peter

Post by Peter »

Peter wrote:I configured voltage monitoring in MultiWii. It is working in the GUI.
Is it possible to use it in Rushduino?

Yes, uncomment the next line in the config file:

#define MAINVOLTAGE_VBAT

dramida

Post by dramida »

albertoLG wrote:dramida, are you feeding both 5v and 12v to the osd or closed the jumpers as I told you? if not then it will never upload the fonts...

But why?
I will try to put back arducam osd software without 12 volts suply and if it works, it means i don t have to put 12v.
Thank you for your answer.

Lapino

AW: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by Lapino »

Hi,
is it possible to connect a current sensor directly to the minim osd? The naze32 doesn't support current sensing at all...
Thanks in advance

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Dragu,

I´m sorry but we have been working this past days on new release and I did not had time to come here.
Please do not use 12v on supposed 12v side of the board, you don´t need it and I RECOMMEND NOT TO.

The only thing you need to do it´s to use the two solder jumpers ( one on each side of the board) the first one joins GND from the both parts, the upper one near the LED, the Power, this way it will be powered just by the serial connection.

This have to be the first thing before uploading even the character map. After this you already know what to do.

Anyway, I am taking some pics to put them on the wiki later tomorrow with all the instructions for fresh arrived Minin´s to our hands.

Sorry for delay on answering.

Cheers,
KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

krystal

Re: AW: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by krystal »

Lapino wrote:Hi,
is it possible to connect a current sensor directly to the minim osd? The naze32 doesn't support current sensing at all...
Thanks in advance

I have the same question. How to connect current sensor?

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

kataventos wrote:Hi Dragu,

I´m sorry but we have been working this past days on new release and I did not had time to come here.
Please do not use 12v on supposed 12v side of the board, you don´t need it and I RECOMMEND NOT TO.

The only thing you need to do it´s to use the two solder jumpers ( one on each side of the board) the first one joins GND from the both parts, the upper one near the LED, the Power, this way it will be powered just by the serial connection.

This have to be the first thing before uploading even the character map. After this you already know what to do.

Anyway, I am taking some pics to put them on the wiki later tomorrow with all the instructions for fresh arrived Minin´s to our hands.

Sorry for delay on answering.

Cheers,
KV

While the wiki has pictures in the instruction, they are only for programing the OSD. There are no pictures of how to get to that point. ;)
For example, I don't have the pads to solder the jumper for the 5V only. I have them on one side (no component side) but I can't see them on them on the other side. I don't have the original, I guess, it's most likely a clone. The mask on mine shows no plane but it is v0.1
Do I need to solder a six pin header for the ISP?

I saw the location for the jumper on the component side. It has solder on it already and I thought it was a SMD. :oops:
I'm still not sure if I have to solder a header for the ISP. If I do, can I use this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=27195, which I already have and can I use it to do all the flashing, fonts and the others?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

that link is the User Manual for OSD software... Not hardware, if you look closer to the previous post you will see "later tomorrow" not today :| besides, if your clone is not equal to mine, I just don´t know! But you can send one to me and I will tell you ;) About your programming stuff, I do not know either... but I think so, if it was made for flashing atmel ....

Cheers,
KV

PS: The clone that is on first post is the one that I have. I will post info about that one.
Last edited by kataventos on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

kataventos wrote:Hi,

that link is the User Manual for OSD software... Not hardware, if you look closer to the previous post you will see "later tomorrow" not today :| besides, if your clone is not equal to mine, I just don´t know! But you can send one to me and I will tell you ;)

Cheers,
KV

PS: The clone that is on first post is the one that I have. I will post info about that one.

I have the same clone as you have, as pictured on the first post. As I edited in the above post, I found the pads.

Still, do I have to solder a header to program the OSD and will this header do all the programing, of the MAX and the ATmega?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

I have edited my last post, and the edited part was about your programming stuff... I do not know I use an FTDI, but if it was made to flash atmel you should be OK, give it a try...

Cheers,
KV

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

Yes, that tool works quite good. I used it to flash the ESCs with the SimonK SW.

None the less, I soldered the header and tried to flash and I get a sync error as can be seen in the attached. I have it set to the pro 5v as can be seen.
Attachments
Sync Error.jpg

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Ok,

the problem is that with that tool you can not reach MAX, only flash the atmel.
To be honest that was a thing that passed thru my mind, I was almost going to edit my last post but, then I thought...
it will make no harm so, this way we all know the answer, no, it will not flash your OSD.

Cheers,
KV

dramida

Post by dramida »

Hi Kataventos, I did those snapshoots from my update procedure especially to be used in a tutorial later, SO FEEL FREE TO USE THEM.
As an ingineer i really ned the osd schematics to figurr out what voltages should i have on max7456. Any pdf around?

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

dramida wrote: Any pdf around?

could not resist to post this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=max7456+pdf ;)
And it is OK to power everything from FTDI or from AVR ISP programmer 5V. Just solder the jumpers.

dramida

Post by dramida »

Hi, i soldered the ground bridge, here is the picture:
MinimOSD-front.jpg

and the back:
MinimOSD-back.jpg

I bought this OSD from here (http://www.goodluckbuy.com/minimosd-sup ... a-osd.html)

Now, after uploading the code, the screen remains clean , as a direct connect with camera.

dramida

Post by dramida »

It would be a nice thing that MWC minimosd to use the same characted map as arducam, and why not, to use the same algorithm witch draws Artificial Horizon (works better on Arducam)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:Hi, i soldered the ground bridge, here is the picture:

I bought this OSD from here (http://www.goodluckbuy.com/minimosd-sup ... a-osd.html)

Now, after uploading the code, the screen remains clean , as a direct connect with camera.

Hi Dragu,

You did not swoldered what I said on previous post. No need to solder PAL jumpers, and you forgot to solder the POWER + side by side with the LED. So, clean the PAL jumpers and solder the other one (said one on each side of the board).

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:It would be a nice thing that MWC minimosd to use the same characted map as arducam, and why not, to use the same algorithm witch draws Artificial Horizon (works better on Arducam)

No need to I mean, why should we make our character map be so bad as they´r? .... our character map is nicer! and about the AH just wait ;)

dramida

Post by dramida »

kataventos wrote:

Hi Dragu,

You did not swoldered what I said on previous post. No need to solder PAL jumpers, and you forgot to solder the POWER + side by side with the LED. So, clean the PAL jumpers and solder the other one (said one on each side of the board).

Thanks, that's it! After soldering both pads, the character map is uploaded. After that, i de-soldered the pads and connected and works. BIG THANKS!

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

dramida wrote:
kataventos wrote:

Hi Dragu,

Thanks, that's it! After soldering both pads, the character map is uploaded. After that, i de-soldered the pads and connected and works. BIG THANKS!

Wasn't what I told you 10 posts ago? I also posted the pictures of what jumpers solder

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:

Question: why did you desoldered the work you have done?
You do not need to, besides, new version is to come in no time, with new char map!

Cheers,
KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

albertoLG wrote:
Wasn't what I told you 10 posts ago? I also posted the pictures of what jumpers solder

Hey Alberto, dont be so dramatic, for ex.. I missed that post! it could happened to Dragu.

But yes, the information you posted is correct.

Cheers,
KV

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hi guys - not been around for a bit - new job....

Great to see teh development.

Kaventos - new fonts - Thought I'd mention something that has been on my mind.. the current fonts are pretty big. i find some of the smaller ones - e.g. as used by Dennis Frie on his osd are a lot less intrusive - but still clearly visible in the goggles.

Got the minim out last night to get back into things. And I'm still kicking myself - connected up power the wrong way. usually so carefull. Had to happen sooner or later I guess. 5 years since last time! pfff it went.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shikra wrote:
Kaventos - new fonts - Thought I'd mention something that has been on my mind.. the current fonts are pretty big.
Got the minim out last night to get back into things. And I'm still kicking myself - connected up power the wrong way. usually so carefull. Had to happen sooner or later I guess. 5 years since last time! pfff it went.

Sorry to hear that you have burned your MINIM.

About font map... Here is a Sneak Peak just for your eyes! ;) with every displayable function available on screen, for sure you will not use all:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vEHW ... Page_1.png

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

krystal wrote:
Thanks in advance

I have the same question. How to connect current sensor?

Push

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

Thanks in advance

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Lapino wrote:
Thanks in advance

Yes, it is possible! ;)

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

Thanks, how? :D

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

As I posted on another board I had soldered a six pin header nor realizing that I could use an FTDI. I tried now with the FTDI and I still get the sync error as I posted before.

BTW, I could have saved myself the trouble of the soldering but it works the same. Just un-necessery work. :oops:

EDIT: Turns out that there is a difference between the FTDI and the six pin header. I rechecked the arduino 1.0.1 settings and saw that there is another com with the FTDI. Com6 in my case. I set it to that com and it compiled with no errors. I guess the other programmer was not recognized and didn't get his port.
Attachments
Sync Error.jpg
Last edited by JustinTime on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

kataventos,

Question: do you have a tool for debugging the code or do you flash the firmware, then connect the OSD to a MWC FC? I hope you have a program that you are running on the host computer that simulate the FC.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thanks - better size --- thats definitely better. Do the numbers have the black outline? - cant tell from the pics.

ANother one will be running v soon!

Cheers

kataventos wrote:
shikra wrote:
Kaventos - new fonts - Thought I'd mention something that has been on my mind.. the current fonts are pretty big.

Sorry to hear that you have burned your MINIM.

About font map... Here is a Sneak Peak just for your eyes! ;) with every displayable function available on screen, for sure you will not use all:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vEHW ... Page_1.png

itain

Post by itain »

copterrichie wrote:kataventos,

Question: do you have a tool for debugging the code or do you flash the firmware, then connect the OSD to a MWC FC? I hope you have a program that you are running on the host computer that simulate the FC.

There is no usable simulator yet. A simulator would be very handy for testing and debugging.
It will enable to test conditions that are impossible for a given setup.
It will enable to test conditions that never happen on the lab bench (like GPS and vario related functions).
I will not need to use my quadcopter where I can use just an FTDI + OSD card.

Small pieces of code were compiled, debugged and unit-tested on my desktop computer before they were added to Rush_OSD. e.g., A new function that formats time into HH:MM:SS string. The alternative is letting the motors run hours before I can see a result.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

yes sensory data is not so important at this stage, just listen for a request and send back dummy packet data etc. Should not be to hard to write something in Processing, I had hoped there was something already available.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:yes sensory data is not so important at this stage, just listen for a request and send back dummy packet data etc. Should not be to hard to write something in Processing, I had hoped there was something already available.

You have your answer, but why your question? ;)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

kataventos wrote:
You have your answer, but why your question? ;)

Laziness, hoping you had already did it. Ha.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Lapino wrote:Thanks, how? :D

Voltage, RSSI and Current sensor.

This mods are on the repository wiki.

Current Sensor

RSSI

Battery Voltage
Last edited by kataventos on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

I think my previous posts show that I kind of don't exactly know what to do without detailed instruction. Unfortunately that includes on how to connect it to the MWii FC, Crius SE in my case. Can someone please post where to change the code in the sketches and to what and which pin on the FC to use to connect the OSD?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

JustinTime wrote:I think my previous posts show that I kind of don't exactly know what to do without detailed instruction. Unfortunately that includes on how to connect it to the MWii FC, Crius SE in my case. Can someone please post where to change the code in the sketches and to what and which pin on the FC to use to connect the OSD?

Please see the attached Pic.

For connecting it to the flight control, you need to use the same (or other, depending on the FC board you have) serial connection you use to MW Gui.
Last edited by kataventos on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Question, is the ISP header really needed? I have not tried my Minim yet but looking at the picture, seems to me, the trace can be cut and a header pin installed. then a wire ran from the chip to the pins.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:Question, is the ISP header really needed? I have not tried my Minim yet but looking at the picture, seems to me, the trace can be cut and a header pin installed. then a wire ran from the chip to the pins.

You can not cut those traces, they communicate with the other side of the board and consequently with the atmel.

Look closer!

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Rats!

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

kataventos wrote:
JustinTime wrote:I think my previous posts show that I kind of don't exactly know what to do without detailed instruction. Unfortunately that includes on how to connect it to the MWii FC, Crius SE in my case. Can someone please post where to change the code in the sketches and to what and which pin on the FC to use to connect the OSD?

Please see the attachment.

For connecting it to the flight control you need to use the same (or other, depending on the FC board you have) serial connection you use to MW Gui.

FC <-------> Minim
GND<-------->GND
RX <---------->TX
TX <---------->RX
5V <---------->5V

I didn't ask how to connect the OSD with the FTDI. I know how to do that and I programmed the OSD. My question was how or where do I connect the OSD to the MWii FC, the Crius SE in my case. Isn't it supposed to get all the info, like GPS coordinates and so on, from the FC? How do I interface them? What code has to be changed and where and to what. Which pin on the FC will be used to connect the OSD?

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

JustinTime wrote: My question was how or where do I connect the OSD to the MWii FC, the Crius SE in my case. Isn't it supposed to get all the info, like GPS coordinates and so on, from the FC? How do I interface them? What code has to be changed and where and to what. Which pin on the FC will be used to connect the OSD?

Connect it to the same serial port, which is used for connecting the GUI. I agree, when I was dealing with it first time, I did not find any info where exactly should OSD be connected. Guy's, please add some detailed connection diagrams (powering also) for operating and programming in wiki or else where :geek:

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

JustinTime wrote:
kataventos wrote:

Please see the attachment.

For connecting it to the flight control you need to use the same (or other, depending on the FC board you have) serial connection you use to MW Gui.

FC <-------> Minim
GND<-------->GND
RX <---------->TX
TX <---------->RX
5V <---------->5V

I didn't ask how to connect the OSD with the FTDI. I know how to do that and I programmed the OSD. My question was how or where do I connect the OSD to the MWii FC, the Crius SE in my case. Isn't it supposed to get all the info, like GPS coordinates and so on, from the FC? How do I interface them? What code has to be changed and where and to what. Which pin on the FC will be used to connect the OSD?

Hey, think again and read what I have posted.

Lapino

Post by Lapino »

Nice, thank you ;)
How about the code...how is it supposed to be changed if you want to measure rssi etc.? If I use the attopilot current/ voltage sensor ( http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/dat ... Output.pdf ) can I use a 1kohm resistor for voltage measurement instead?

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

kataventos wrote:http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/wiki/Character_Map_Upload
http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... dware_Mods
http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... ser_manual

It is getting better and better! Hardware_Mods is very useful for lazy people like me, ho don't want to search the code and after the datasheet for the pin's.
Thanks

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

kataventos wrote:Hey, think again and read what I have posted.

I told you I'm kind of slow! :D I get it now. Don't be depressed about my inability. You do a tremendous job and I can't thank you enough. Image

This is to us Image