Raspberry Wii

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
kataventos

Raspberry Wii

Post by kataventos »

voltage_converter_raspi_arduino_v2.png

Let´s just not wait anymore.

I was just thinking about the possibilities that we have with this piece of hardware on the ground and on the air for $35.
Raspberry PI came to blow every idea that we had and work on, and give them new directions.
It works with LINUX and have an ARM processor :D were we evolving from 16hz to 32... and ... what?? 700what? mhz or what?!! lol .

We will need an SD card (recommended size 4Gb or greater) with an operating system preloaded before we can boot the Raspberry Pi.
Some specs:

-5V is only used to feed a 3.3 Volt regulator, as the R-PI (SoC) itself runs on 3.3volt.
-The GPU binary also contains the first stage bootloader.
-It can be used a touch screen (USB)
- OpenGL ES, OpenMAX and other multimedia APIs is available

-

Some "stupid" ideas that I´m running on the ground:

1- I´m working on a very compact and powerful ground station with this baby, but I need some help on programming, a brave coder with big ideas needed :mrgreen:
With this piece of hardware we can connect almost everything we can think on, we have all kinds of ports ready and waiting (GPIO)...

Raspi_Iso_Blue.png

2- I have it inside a very light weight 12" custom box directly to an LVDS controller driving an 10" LCD because Raspberry have already a Composite video out, all running with one LIPO ready to whatever we can find usefull :mrgreen:
I stopped here because I know that this is all possible, I just don´t know how to software link them...

Does anyone want to give it a try implementing this?

EDIT: I have edited this post because I changed direction about communication GROUND<----->AIR at this precise moment...
Last edited by kataventos on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

copterrichie

Re: Raspberry WII

Post by copterrichie »

I wanted one of these badly however, every time I tried placing an order, the server would time out. I hope demand has dropped somewhat so when I have the funds, I can place an order. I read where others are doing full HD video real-time compression with these devices.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2555

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:I wanted one of these badly however, every time I tried placing an order, the server would time out. I hope demand has dropped somewhat so when I have the funds, I can place an order. I read where others are doing full HD video real-time compression with these devices.

;) do you know that you can use them up to the number many as you want and make a SUPER COMPUTER? :mrgreen:
But let´s focus on we can do with MWC on it... Ground and Airborne.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

In my opinion, this is one good reason to keep the code generic and not hardware specific.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Here is another link about Raspberry and video: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/26/rasp ... era-board/

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

I pulled the trigger ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

NikTheGreek wrote:I pulled the trigger ;)

Sorry, I did not understood your statement! :geek:

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

i made my order for raspberry .... ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

NikTheGreek wrote:i made my order for raspberry .... ;)

8-)

Eric

Raspberry Wii

Post by Eric »

I suggest you try the tplink wr703n. Which is a wifi router, small and light.
You can install openwrt (kind of Linux) on it.
There is a on board serial port which can be connected to Arduino.

And that's my setup, I am control my quad with an iPhone.

Eric

Raspberry Wii

Post by Eric »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354064210.041850.jpg
This is a picture of this router. I solder then serial port to the microusb port which used for power supply. It's size is 57mmx57mm, weight 36g. It have 802.11n, Ethernet port, USB port. About 20$.

Eric

Raspberry Wii

Post by Eric »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354064439.493544.jpg
Another picture about my setup.

copterrichie

Re: Raspberry Wii

Post by copterrichie »

@Eric Amazing!!

You also may find this an interesting read:

Cheap biquad antenna extends LAN between apartments

http://hackaday.com/2012/11/27/cheap-bi ... partments/

Eric

Raspberry Wii

Post by Eric »

Thanks!
I have ordered a 4dbm pcb antenna which can be fitted in the box.

And another USB hub so that I can put an USB stick which is 8gb in the box.

Even more, if we plug an 3G USB modem into the router, and then the quad fly with gps and update destination coordinates with 3G connection? Lol

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Well, we can not say we did not see this coming. Ha!

http://hackaday.com/2012/12/01/raspberry-pi-quadcopter/

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:Well, we can not say we did not see this coming. Ha!

http://hackaday.com/2012/12/01/raspberry-pi-quadcopter/

Yes :D I know what I want and how to put the hardware to work, the programming is what I do not know as I wanted... but about my project on the ground station... I will update :ugeek:

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I think this Raspberry Copter is a major achievement but without knowing the hardware, I believe a STM32 or ATmega would be better for Realtime flight control. The Raspberry would be best for Navigation, Telemetry and Video processing.

But another BUT, now Linux is suppose to be able to handle Realtime processing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTLinux

gompf-2

Post by gompf-2 »

copterrichie wrote:But another BUT, now Linux is suppose to be able to handle Realtime processing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTLinux

Now? I build an EMC2-Mill ~2009 and this was state of the art ;-) The RasPI is very nice board, sadly I got v1 with only 256MB RAM and no mounting holes, but its fine for RaspBMC (and was widely available a few month ago...). Only drawback is a missing onboard ADC ;-) If you observe any problems with keyboard or network recheck you PSUs current limit (you will be able to boot with a weak one eg from BB but you´ll get in trouble).
Regards, gompf

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

For now I can say that it was made from scratch using an 10" lcd from a unused computer, a LVDS driver with AV, HDMI, VGA and a 5.8Ghz video RX (DIY) module, inside do exists a powerful LINUX brain (Raspberry) that is not used at this moment, I´m waiting for my two 433Mhz radios with SiLabs Si1000 RF micro controller´s, one of them to join the party inside :mrgreen: It will to have a touch screen, I intend to control everything with a finger, telemetry data that I want to display on screen and waypoint navigation as soon as MWC have it, it runs everything on one LIpo and have a total weight of 0.9kg.

Cheers,
KV

http://youtu.be/63_AmjAUh0U

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »