Y4 mixer settings

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
RolfS

Y4 mixer settings

Post by RolfS »

First of all let me say 'Thank You' to Alex for this extraordinary project and that he made it available for the public.
And not to forget all the others, who contributed such a tremendous amount of knowledge and ideas.

The last two days I was able to test a small Y4(T4) copter:
motor/motor: 21 cm
205 gr w/o battery
MutliWii1_7
ITG3205 cutout (direct wired)
BMA020

Here are my observations:
The rear of the copter yawed a lot in the direction of the lower rear motors rotation direction.
This could be solved by changing the motor mixer as follows:

Code: Select all

#ifdef Y4
    motor[0] = rcCommand[THROTTLE]                  + axisPID[PITCH] * 6/5 - YAW_DIRECTION * axisPID[YAW];    //REAR_1 upper
    motor[1] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] - axisPID[ROLL]  - axisPID[PITCH];                                      //FRONT_R
    motor[2] = rcCommand[THROTTLE]                  + axisPID[PITCH] + YAW_DIRECTION * axisPID[YAW];       //REAR_2 lower
    motor[3] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] + axisPID[ROLL]  - axisPID[PITCH];                                      //FRONT_L
 #endif

The idea behind this is that the upper motors thrust is lowered, because there is the rotating propeller of the lower motor
in its airstream. The efficiency of the lower motor is higher.

I do not know if there are other explanations and solutions. But to increase the relative amount of thrust of the upper motor seems to work.
The copter performes reasonable well with the standard settings. Fine tuning of the PID settings has to be done.

Rolf