Horizon Mode & What Am I Missing?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
brettwal

Horizon Mode & What Am I Missing?

Post by brettwal »

Had an I / H quad running 2.1 and flying fine. Loaded the 1129 DEV build to try the new altitude hold code. Had it in a hover about 25' up, with mag and baro on and was holding fine. I flipped the switch to Horizon mode and it darted straight to the ground. This is my third experience with Horizon mode, on 3 different copters all ending in a crash. WHAT am I missing with Horizon mode????

KasparsL

Re: Horizon Mode & What Am I Missing?

Post by KasparsL »

I had similar thing, it happens not every time but still!. When you activate Horizon and angle mode together - copter strongly (full power) tilts in one direction. But it does not happen every time!
Could someone check confirm?

Also quick question about Return To home When GPS is not locked - what happens? I am asking, because i had crashed into a tree - i flipped RTH switch and copter just tilted strongly, and i was not able to level it again, happened so fast, that forgot to switch to acro ... .

Anyone?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I don't have the means to however, is there some way to ground test this feature before testing in the air?

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

copterrichie wrote:I don't have the means to however, is there some way to ground test this feature before testing in the air?

I was holding quad in hand, switched to horizon mode - it levels, switch on angle also - it strongly tilts, switched off asap =]. But i can not repeat it now. Also i am using horizon mode only, just in case.

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

Is there any documentation on the Horizon mode? I'd love to chalk this up to user error but, on 3 different copters with 3 different FCs, I'm afraid I cannot.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Remember these are dev/test versions. Expect a few issues.

See my post here and feedback...
I really like horizon mode for flying, but make sure only level is enabled for any GPS stuff....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2510#p23493

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

shikra wrote:Remember these are dev/test versions. Expect a few issues.

I really like horizon mode for flying, but make sure only level is enabled for any GPS stuff....

Don't mind a few bugs but, there is an issue here. No GPS on this copter so that's not the issue. Was just in a hover with ALT HOLD on in ANGLE mode. Flipped the swith to Horizon and it went like a bullet down and to the right. Now I checked my setup and i did have ANGLE & HORIZON enabled at the same time. This may be the issue.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

brettwal wrote:
shikra wrote:Remember these are dev/test versions. Expect a few issues.

Don't mind a few bugs but, there is an issue here. No GPS on this copter so that's not the issue. Was just in a hover with ALT HOLD on in ANGLE mode. Flipped the swith to Horizon and it went like a bullet down and to the right. Now I checked my setup and i did have ANGLE & HORIZON enabled at the same time. This may be the issue.

+1,
I had same issue, had enabled (erratic Aux setup with display) Angle and Horizon at the same time and then flipped, result one prop broken.
Carlo

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

Hi guys!

Sorry for probably stupid question but where i can read or probably someone can explain about HORIZON mode? How it works and what the difference from LEVEL/ANGLE mode etc.

thx-
Alex

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

mahowik wrote:Hi guys!

Sorry for probably stupid question but where i can read or probably someone can explain about HORIZON mode? How it works and what the difference from LEVEL/ANGLE mode etc.

thx-
Alex

Right now I understood (searching in the web and other discussions) that ANGLE is the same of old LEVEL mode, HORIZON is similar to ANGLE but intended as a FLIP trainer, if you try to learn to FLIP the quad, in case of panic, releasing the stiks, copter will level automatically.
But I not yet tested, if I've not well described, please feel free to correct me ...and others.
Bye
Carlo

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

carlonb wrote:HORIZON is intended as a FLIP trainer, if you try to FLIP the quad, in case of panic, releasing the stiks, cpter will level automatically.

No, FLIP trainer it's another one function I think...

Code: Select all

/************************   Assisted AcroTrainer    **********************************/
    /* Train Acro with auto recovery. Value set the point where ANGLE_MODE takes over.
       Remember to activate ANGLE_MODE first!...
       A Value on 200 will give a very distinct transfer */
    //#define ACROTRAINER_MODE 200   // http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1944#p17437

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

mahowik wrote:
carlonb wrote:HORIZON is intended as a FLIP trainer, if you try to FLIP the quad, in case of panic, releasing the stiks, cpter will level automatically.

No, FLIP trainer it's another one function I think...

Code: Select all

/************************   Assisted AcroTrainer    **********************************/
    /* Train Acro with auto recovery. Value set the point where ANGLE_MODE takes over.
       Remember to activate ANGLE_MODE first!...
       A Value on 200 will give a very distinct transfer */
    //#define ACROTRAINER_MODE 200   // http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1944#p17437

OK, sorry but some where I saw this kind of explanation, other explanation was "Horizon" is a Half and Half LEVEL and ACRO ???? :(

Carlo

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

I suppose HORIZON works like acro (i.e. copter start to rotates around x,y axis) when you tilt the roll/pitch stick and recovers the level when its released...
where AcroTrainer mode just switch from level/angle mode to acro after some predefined roll/pitch stick inclination and vise versa...

But yes, it's very similar...

Pls. someone who know exactly correct me...

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

mahowik wrote:I suppose HORIZON works like acro (i.e. copter start to rotates around x,y axis) when you tilt the roll/pitch stick and recovers the level when its released...
where AcroTrainer mode just switch from level/angle mode to acro after some predefined roll/pitch stick inclination and vise versa...

But yes, it's very similar...

Pls. someone who know exactly correct me...

yes it's a kind of this.
in horizon mode, the switch between acro and angle is progressive
with acrotrainer it's a simple threshold

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

Can someone please explain the difference between ANGLE and ACRO modes? I feel like I'm missing some of the terminology here....

shikra

Post by shikra »

ANGLE mode
The position of the stick indicates the angle at which the copter tries to maintain. Sticks off = level. Full sticks in any direction and it will tilt at 50 degrees. It's proportional in-between.
It maintains the angle set by the stick. Let go of sticks and it returns to level

ACRO mode.
The copter will continue turning in the direction in which you tilt sticks. When you let go of sticks it will maintain that angle and not return to level

HORIZON mode
It a weird proportional mix of the two. Sticks off = level. Full defelction = ACRO. In between it gradually mixes fro LEVEL mode to ACRO. Weird mix, but very nice results to fly if you like flying level mode. Its better than level mode for flying in stabilised mode IMHO.

HTH

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

This is just becoming to complicated.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Maybe this doesn't sound so complicated ? ....
ANGLE is same as old LEVEL. Just renamed
HORIZON is mix of the two.

LOL I am not good at explaining. Perhaps I made it worse.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

shikra wrote:ANGLE mode
The position of the stick indicates the angle at which the copter tries to maintain. Sticks off = level. Full sticks in any direction and it will tilt at 50 degrees. It's proportional in-between.
It maintains the angle set by the stick. Let go of sticks and it returns to level

ACRO mode.
The copter will continue turning in the direction in which you tilt sticks. When you let go of sticks it will maintain that angle and not return to level

HORIZON mode
It a weird proportional mix of the two. Sticks off = level. Full defelction = ACRO. In between it gradually mixes fro LEVEL mode to ACRO. Weird mix, but very nice results to fly if you like flying level mode. Its better than level mode for flying in stabilised mode IMHO.

HTH

Thanks for making this make sense, shikra! Are all of these "modes" enabled via the GCS, or are they flags somewhere in the Config? Is all of this part of the current 2.2 trunk?

EDIT: And how is "ANGLE" mode different from auto-leveling?

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

Well i just tried the new angle and horizon modes, on their own and mixed together. These are my results;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9cpn_R ... e=youtu.be

Angle works fine but horizon causes the motors to cut to idle power when i use it on it's own or together with angle. If you try this yourself don't fly too high and maybe do it over soft ground!

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Did you erase eprom? else try it.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

Thanks for the suggestion - i hadn't cleared the eeprom, but i just did and i still get the exact same results. I haven't bothered taking another video.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I now have both angle and horizon mode working as they should. Ignore my previous posts on the subject - the problem was the settings on my transmitter, nothing to do with the multiwii code.

I feel a little silly now, but i had to come back and admit it's not the multiwii software that was at fault.