GUI on windows 64bit ?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
chris ables

GUI on windows 64bit ?

Post by chris ables »

Is there a known bug with windows 64bit GUI not working ? I have been trying to help someone with a 64bit computer and he can't get the gui to run. I know i have seen some people on here running 64bit machines and they are using it and i need to know if there's any special drivers or anything to install to make it work ! Please help ,I really wan't to get this friend up and running !! :)

PatrikE

Re: GUI on windows 64bit ?

Post by PatrikE »

I think you can forget about the 64bit version.
I haven't heard a single user who have been able to get it to work! :(

I run the 32bit on both 32 & 64 bit computers.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

the 64 bit GUI does not work because rxtx serial library only works in 32-bit mode. If you do a search, someone built a 64 bit version of the library. I have not tried this, but it may work if you replace the rxtx dll with the 64 bit version.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

good to know ;)
So, there is no more need to compile the 64 bit versions of the processing sketch.

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Thank you all for clarifying this !

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

Has anyone encountered problems with the GUI running very slowly on Win7 64 ?

The GUI (32 bit version) runs fine on my Win7 32 bits laptop, but it is extremely slowy working on my other laptop running Win7 64

I know the 64 bits GUI is not working at all, so I use the 32 bits GUI version. It is opening fine, and is also communicating with the Multiwii, but it's extremely slow (like one value every few seconds, rather then 20 samples/sec).

I've tried installing both the 32 and 64 bits versions of java. uninstalled java completely, and ONLY re-installed the 32 bits version, but no change....

I've found a similar thread from last May (from warthox http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1666), which seemed like the same problem, but no report on if / how it was solved....
I also think I remember reading something about a graphics driver, but cannot find that post again.... And as far as I can tell, the graphics drivers are all up-to-date.

Any idea ?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I have same problem on my QuadCore 64bit 8GB ram W7 laptop.
Extreemly slow! 1-2 hz Max.

It runs smooth on my old Wista 32.

lpbug

Post by lpbug »

I felt inclined to post as I have spent hours downloading java 32 bit, trying to open it with 32 bit, and then having it be slow as a snail again. My laptop has 4gb RAM running a dedicated Nvidia graphics card on a quad core i5 processor, and I get incredible lag even after I set the GUI's priority to high and used the graphics card to open the GUI. My computer is Windows 7 64 bit. For comparison, I ran this on my 4 year old desktop- absolutely no problems, smooth as butter. My desktop has 2x less ram, running a dual core Pentium and integrated graphics. I don't really know, might actually just use my 32 bit xp netbook for this.

Poppy Ann

Post by Poppy Ann »

i Have it installed on my computer and it runs OK most of the time now and then my computer locks up and i have to reboot, i am running win 8 64 with 16 GB ram and a I7 CPU but i am new to all this as i only just started with RC models.

regards Poppy.

just tested and it uses between 10% and 15% of CPU usage so not to bad.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Forget Java garbage and just use this:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... figk?hl=en

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

timecop wrote:Forget Java garbage and just use this:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... figk?hl=en

It misses some of the newer settings available in MultiWiiConf ... but ... WOW ... that's a lot nicer to use. How easy can a developer change this extension to test MSP related changes? (never created a chrome extension myself)

timecop

Post by timecop »

It's all javascript afaik, can't be that hard?
You can stop by multiwii chat and talk to cTn when he's around - I'm sure he'd be open to integrating/adding newer stuff.
Plus it's opensource so you can do it too and submit patches - https://github.com/cTn-dev/baseflight-configurator

doppler

Post by doppler »

Damn.... that's actually really nice.... I however get nervous being reliant on chrome (google) as my interface to things given their ways of depreciating things (Reader, Latitude) etc...

timecop

Post by timecop »

That's ok, thats no worse than being dependent on JAVA