[PATCH rebased] Increase number of AUX channels and steps

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Tommie

[PATCH rebased] Increase number of AUX channels and steps

Post by Tommie »

I have rebased my patches for increasing the number of AUX channels and steps; with those it is possible to change the number of AUX channels as well as the number of steps in each channel.
It also requires a new GUI, but also decreases the flash size slightly when sticking to the new message code for configuring the item boxes.

Firmware: https://github.com/wertarbyte/multiwii- ... x_channels
GUI: https://github.com/wertarbyte/multiwii- ... x_channels

Federico

Re: [PATCH rebased] Increase number of AUX channels and step

Post by Federico »

Is this patch going to enter in the "ufficial" code? Looks like necessary, with all the new switch in the dev version...

Magnetron

Post by Magnetron »

I will implement in an new intermediate dev...

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

it was already debated here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1933

to sum up my view: not against the idea, but against the suggested implementation

frogstarb

Post by frogstarb »

Wasn't there one very interesting proposal for use base something notation for multiplexing multiple aux inputs in one? Something like (using base 50 here)
AUX1 50
AUX2 100
AUX3 200
AUX4 400
AUX5 800
AUX6 1600

And just sum the values for the channels to turn on? I can't find the thread but I haven't looked all that hard. This would remove the "low mid hi" states from the individual channels but give multiple individually selectable states on each channel instead, and would get my +1 (for whatever that is worth).

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

initially that idea was about binary coding of n distinguishable dual state switches all on one aux channel
+1000 <=> function 1 on
+500 <=> function 2 on
---------------------
sum -- gets transmitted as signal on channel auxN
Problem remains that hardly any off the shelf TX is capable of mixing more than 2 or 3 switches into one channel.

frogstarb

Post by frogstarb »

Yep, same difference. The actual base can probably be smaller than 50, but maybe that's overkill. As for TX capable of doing the mix, I only know of the 9x alternative firmwares (using er9x personally) and it is simple there, but even for others there should be no degradation from what we have now with the low/mid/hi approach, only they become individual channels instead of mutually exclusive, which is why I feel this approach is better in all regards.

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

Alexinparis wrote:it was already debated here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1933

to sum up my view: not against the idea, but against the suggested implementation

Have your tried the rebased implementation? It actually uses less flash memory than the one currently used by Multiwii while providing the flexibility of adjusting the number of channels and steps for those who need it - and being completely neutral to those who don't.

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

And again, I rebased the patch to the latest _shared branch. I'd really ike to spark some kind of technical discussion about this - something I haven't seen in a while. What is the technical reason for not including this?

https://github.com/wertarbyte/multiwii- ... _extension

Actually only the first patch is needed, the second one just adds a compatibility layer (which should not be needed anyway)

arne

Post by arne »

I like the idea of having more AUX channels and more steps, but we have to reorganize the GUI to cope with all the additional stuff. I played a little around with the GUI and came up with this:

MultiWiiConfAux.png

Up to 12 AUX channels and 6 binary style encoded steps per channel. The only downside of the new layout is that one function can not be enabled by more than one AUX channel anymore, but at the moment I don´t know why somebody wanted to this!? What do you think?

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

arne wrote:Up to 12 AUX channels and 6 binary style encoded steps per channel. The only downside of the new layout is that one function can not be enabled by more than one AUX channel anymore, but at the moment I don´t know why somebody wanted to this!? What do you think?

This is needed. If I enable HEADFREE, I want to enable ANGLE mode as well with the same switch.

The current matrix approach is fine, but it has to be moved to separate tabs, otherwise it gets too big. However, extending the GUI isn't a problem as long as the firmware does not support the additional channels.

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

Hello arne,

thats the best idea to deal with GUI and more then 4 AUX Channels I see up to now.
And I don't know a reason why you enable one function wirh more than one AUX channel.

cu
Carsten

PS: I hope your work hast a future

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

I just pointed that out; if you have a switch that enables HEADFREE, you probably want the same switch to engage ANGLE mode as well - even if there alredy is another switch fr controlling the flight mode (NONE/HORIZON/ANGLE)

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

I use angle mode on aux1 and when i activate gps same goes for mag and baro. so it is pretty common to use a function on more channels.

nils

shikra

Post by shikra »

Yeah sorry Arne - I also use multiple selects a lot. Most probably have to because of limited channels available.

arne

Post by arne »

Yeah, but that is not a problem. You can use one channel to switch multiply functions. Take a look at the screenshot. AUX2 is used for HEADADJ and HEADFREE.

But you can't activate a single function like HEADFREE with let's say AUX1 L and AUX2 H or something like that.

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

arne wrote:But you can't activate a single function like HEADFREE with let's say AUX1 L and AUX2 H or something like that.

Which is a dealbreaker for many applications.

Why not ditch processing and put more effort into the existing Swing GUI project, which actually provides real widgets and not just a drawing canvas?
It's getting harder everyday to circumnavigate the shortcomings of processing.

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

I want to have a look to the Swing GUI.
But I'm to **** for get it running.
I install Eclipse and than import the GUI from GIT.
But I didn't get a workspace ?!?!?!!

Is there a docu how to start?

shikra

Post by shikra »

arne wrote:Yeah, but that is not a problem. You can use one channel to switch multiply functions. Take a look at the screenshot. AUX2 is used for HEADADJ and HEADFREE.

But you can't activate a single function like HEADFREE with let's say AUX1 L and AUX2 H or something like that.

Agree with Tommie.
Probably work well for some, but doesn't quite work for me as it is, but maybe there is value in taking elements of it somehow?

Nice approach though.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Tommie wrote:Why not ditch processing and put more effort into the existing Swing GUI project, which actually provides real widgets and not just a drawing canvas?
It's getting harder everyday to circumnavigate the shortcomings of processing.

What are the pros/cons of processing to swing? Not really seenig much in Google on that.
It is established though and much knowledge around the current processing code. Is it worth it at this late stage in the lifecycle?

I don't really use the GUi except for setting up but it is nice to see the new dials etc...

I do think its time for a tab function like cGiesen initiated. OR maybe a simple "Advanced" button that pulls up another screen.

We are going to need this very soon...
Waypoints
EEprom config that can currently only do on a lcd - yaw centering.
tri yaw direction via EEprom
etc.
etc.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

It really is time for a new radio gear, trying to get all of these features working with the existing gear is like trying to receive HD video over a 56K modem.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

shikra wrote:What are the pros/cons of processing to swing? Not really seenig much in Google on that.
It is established though and much knowledge around the current processing code. Is it worth it at this late stage in the lifecycle?

I don't really use the GUi except for setting up but it is nice to see the new dials etc...

I do think its time for a tab function like cGiesen initiated. OR maybe a simple "Advanced" button that pulls up another screen.

Waypoints
EEprom config that can currently only do on a lcd - yaw centering.
tri yaw direction via EEprom
etc.
etc.

Swing is a proper GUI Toolkit and Processing is a sketch-based framework for visual designers and graphics artist with a very rudimentary GUI toolkit hacked on top of it in the form of controlP5 wich caused enough headaches in and on itself.
Good luck trying to integrate Google Maps or whatever for waypoints.

Processing is a dead end, it eats way too much resources and has a lot of compatibility issues.

So yeah, Swing is the way to go.
A lot of code has already been written but treym/kos went MIA because of hardware trouble/job issues, I dunno ;)
Alterscape and me are planning to resurrect it in the near future.
The serial protocol has to be dusted off and then it's good to go for the most common tasks.

Any help is more than welcome. The code is up on Github: https://github.com/multiwii/multiwii-gui-swing
This is a good opportunity to invite everyone to the IRC channel #multiwii on Freenode ;)
Contrary to any rumors it's a completely open, unmoderated chatroom with folks from all over the globe.

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

Perhaps it's a goog idea to give a short instruction for startup.
I only run in problems because of my knowladge :(

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thanks for that. I did read up on Swing before. Weird never encountered it in work because we are a java house...

You hintat part of the issue though - a couple show enough interest - they move on then we are left stranded with no updates.
For me its why I stick with core processing. Even though the others look nicer and technically better.... at least there is consistency that has been proven over time.
real shame becasause all the effort put in.

Another comment re Swing if you take it on - remember most users are windows GUI users - taking a look at readme file and they will click off in 3 secs. Guaranteed.....
I did - and at least I run a linux PC as well as windows so understand....
Needs to be presented nicer for the windows folk. IMHO

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

@ Shikra Lowest common denominator

shikra

Post by shikra »

That's usually sums me up well too... LOL.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

shikra wrote:I don't really use the GUi except for setting up but it is nice to see the new dials etc...

same here.

while the current gui probably breaks with every style guide it is convenient to use; in part because it has _no_ tabs but presents entire info in one view. (The window size got inceased for v2.1 to provide for some screen estate for future items.) please keep it that way.
Waypoints
EEprom config that can currently only do on a lcd

In case you did not know, you can at least enable lcd.tty mode and run the serial monitor from arduino IDE to access all those tunable parameters.

shikra

Post by shikra »

I'm not concerned how its delivered -
tabs - LOL... !
Creative use of screen - autohide/show
Advanced button - to say turn off dials and make visible enhance tuning parameters
Seperate app. Linked via advanced button possibly.

Was aware of the tty option, but must admit not tried it (lazy?!). Probably a bit to much for some of the noobs

I actually quite like the current GUI - Nice balance of practicality with some cool functional graphics.