New RCtimer GPS Ublox Neo 6M fails to perform on Mega boards

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
quadwalker

Re: New RCtimer GPS Ublox Neo 6M fails to perform on Mega bo

Post by quadwalker »

vpb wrote:
Still dont know why I cannot config my gps to work at 10hz/115200 with quadwalker's instruction, (solder pin 13&14&15, 13&14, de-solder all, solder & desolder battery ;) ), maybe I'll try again sometimes. Thank EOSBandi & quadwalker!

Hello guys
Sorry long time I had no time to update
After some trials, running at 10Hz is not working all the time. That could work sometime but definetely not at each usage. So I finally setup my usage at 115200 baud and 5hz. Yes I am aggree with VPB, desolder the battery should be usefull. We are losing nothing since it is really not doing the job

But I am not plenty convinced by the stabilization I should get using PosHold. My quad is real not so stable that I was dreaming for

Will be interresting to know how PosHold is working in your case

cheers

vpb

Post by vpb »

Hello, nice to hear confirmation from you. About POS HOLD with GPS, just one time I saw it's nearly locked to one position (with baro, ofcourse), all other tests showed that it went around about 1-4m. I intend to do POS HOLD PID tuning explained in EOSBandi document. But I think the weather maybe plays some role with that ublox gps :D

The RTH feature works great!

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

vpb wrote:About POS HOLD with GPS, just one time I saw it's nearly locked to one position (with baro, ofcourse), all other tests showed that it went around about 1-4m. I intend to do POS HOLD PID tuning explained in EOSBandi document.

The RTH feature works great!

Hi vpb

Since Baro is important for the POSHOLD. Could it be due to the fact that the Baro sensor should be "protected"? I mean perhaps having a foam or a cover on it???? I am flying with the FC fully open. So perhaps the wind generated by the props could disturbe the Baro????
I can't beleve that weather as an impact on GPS accuracy. GPS can be impacted by local jammers (but it is strictely forbidden in our countries to do that). Can be impacted by solar activity, can be impacted as well by masking (buildings, trees, walls). To be accurate, the GPS is using signals from selected satellites (they are well selected according 3D geometry to have a chance to get a good "navigation solution". This is called DOP (Dilution of Precision). So in regular situations, where it is acceptable to make test, the visibility should be good

Yes I am agree that RTH works well. I activated by accident the RTH one day and my quad was coming back to my feet and making a nice rotation alone

vpb

Post by vpb »

Hi man, yes the baro sensor should be covered. I paste a small double side tape on MS5611, and a small square plastic over the board. But I will make a small case just to cover the whole board, just like that http://www.goodluckbuy.com/epoxy-protec ... board.html

As the Gps signal impaction, I've never gotten 3D fix in house, but at my test-flight field, always fixed after 30-40s. You can see in the video that I fix position & fly very near the high KV power-lines, no impaction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUsS5uENxPI

Do you think the ublox should be covered against the sun light?

dramida

Post by dramida »

RCTimer put an I2C EEPROM to GPS Ublox NEO 6M at 27$. In this way GPS configuration settings will be permanent.
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

vpb wrote:Do you think the ublox should be covered against the sun light?

Hi vpb. No GPS is really no sensitive to sunlight. Only to "exceptional" solar activities. Hopefully this are rare events and this is mostly predictable in advance. Hopefully because many flighing assets are using GPS nowadays

I am going to have a try by doing the same protection on the baro

what Camera are you using? The image is not bad at all!

thanks a lot for the tips

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

dramida wrote:RCTimer put an I2C EEPROM to GPS Ublox NEO 6M at 27$. In this way GPS configuration settings will be permanent.
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

Hi Dramida
Great news. This is the end of our difficulties :-)

vpb

Post by vpb »

quadwalker wrote:I am going to have a try by doing the same protection on the baro

what Camera are you using? The image is not bad at all!

thanks a lot for the tips

Hi man, my camera is very old 808 key chain camera, it seems to be #6 version, I intend to buy the new one #18 version with many features, A/V out, and widely reviews on rcgroups, like that by Tom Frank http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627189, take a look...

About the baro coverage, yesterday I flied with some wind :D, I forgot that the little baro foam was removed before, with tuned Alt-pid, it flied very bad until I covered it again, and reduce P a little. Ya, it's important to cover the baro sensor.

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

EOSBandi wrote:OK, here is a first version : I dont commit it into shared yet, since it is based on a 2.1 Gps.ino and still uses classes.
Just replace the Gps.ino and add the follwing lines to config.h gps part

Code: Select all

//#define NMEA
    #define UBLOX
   // #define MTK

#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER

//#define GPS_FILTERING
//#define NAV_SLEW_RATE              30

Plus add the initialisation to the multiwii.ino setup()

#if defined(GPS_SERIAL)

#if defined(UBLOX)
   UBLOX_init();
   delay(200);
  #endif

#if defined(MTK)
   MTK_init();
   delay(200);
 #endif

SerialOpen(GPS_SERIAL,GPS_BAUD); 

For UBLOX and MTK the GPS_BAUD must be 57600

EosBandi your mod works great using 2.1 and GPS is always configured OK! A lot of people is using your mod here in Itlay...thanks again!

What about new multiwii dev release? Is your mod working with the new dev release too? Are you planning to upgrade the mod for the new release?

Luciano

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

RCTIMER GPS auto configuration with new dev 1129 is OK! Thank you!!

vpb

Post by vpb »

Someone still using that first little ublox gps? Now with new dev version (mine is 1177), it works only with 115200baud rate, and I feel that it's not solid as before, sometimes looses the signal, sometimes cannot get locked pos.

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

vpb wrote:Someone still using that first little ublox gps? Now with new dev version (mine is 1177), it works only with 115200baud rate, and I feel that it's not solid as before, sometimes looses the signal, sometimes cannot get locked pos.

I'm still using old ublox gps (without eeprom). I'm using r1129 and set in config.h 57600 baud rate...and it works great.

Of course I have always to switch on/off multiwii two times in order to connect GPS to the board.

Luciano

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

vpb

Post by vpb »

You should read some previous post to fix that

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

vpb wrote:You should read some previous post to fix that

yep...I've seen it....but I'm not Capt. Spock with soldering iron and I fear to make some damage! :)
I just switch on/off ...and it goes!

Luciano

vpb

Post by vpb »

Ah, I remember you, Luciano! you're the very first man to test MW gps with this ublox module, pos hold & rth. I'm sorry to hear that you still must deal with that problem. Give ublox v2 a try, bigger one and have everything to save the config.

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

vpb wrote:Ah, I remember you, Luciano! you're the very first man to test MW gps with this ublox module, pos hold & rth. I'm sorry to hear that you still must deal with that problem. Give ublox v2 a try, bigger one and have everything to save the config.

I've got bigger Gps CN-06 V2 on another quad with I2C-GPS Nav card connected to a 328 shield. It has eeprom so it saves config and do not need on/off procedure. :)

vpb

Post by vpb »

Do you see noticeable signal strength improvement with that bigger antenna? I've bought a 25x25 antenna but still not upgrade yet :D

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

vpb wrote:Do you see noticeable signal strength improvement with that bigger antenna? I've bought a 25x25 antenna but still not upgrade yet :D

...I'm still tuning the new quad so I can't tell if new antenna is better than previous one...I'll keep you informed!

pm1

Post by pm1 »

I have some doubt, that the bigger antenna gives any advantages in an area without houses, trees or other obstacles.

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

Just tried RTH and POS HOLD swapping new and old GPS on the same CRIUS AIO PRO. At first stage I haven't seen any significant advantage...but I was in an open area.
In house the new GPS fixes pretty soon while the old one not always fixes so easily.

Luciano

vpb

Post by vpb »

nice to hear that, with smaller one I've never got fixex in house :-(. But I think what we need is the stable signal outside, when flying far and high, that's important. I sometimes loose the signal without any reason, it's very dangerous.

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

...and with the new GPS V2 you do not need switch on-off anymore. It connects to multiwii ad soon as you power it on.

Woppit

Post by Woppit »

vpb wrote:nice to hear that, with smaller one I've never got fixex in house :-(. But I think what we need is the stable signal outside, when flying far and high, that's important. I sometimes loose the signal without any reason, it's very dangerous.

Hi, I have 2 of the smaller Ublox neo 6 modules, the first 1 I had I tried to unplug the antenna as I wanted to try another antenna (30mm from a satnav)
didn't get to try it because the socket broke off the board! so no longer being able to plug the satnav antenna in, I just cut the plug off the small antenna
and soldered the coax to the board. This worked fine as expected and I got 8-9 sat lock indoors, now for the point of this! I bought a second small GPS
unit before the MK 2 came out and this 1 was not so good? took longer to get a sat lock, but indoors I had to put it near the window and sometimes it seemed
intermittent. So I cut the plug off and removed the socket (nothing to loose as it was crap!) soldered the coax to the board and yes you got it 8-9 sat lock indoors.
So I could just be unlucky (broke the first) and had a crap second or could the plug-socket be lossy? anyway thought I would mention it just in case.
I also just bought the MK 2 version and running R 1240 the GPS works first time no unplugging! at last!

Hope this is of some help.

majoo

Post by majoo »

EOSBandi wrote:OK, here is a first version : I dont commit it into shared yet, since it is based on a 2.1 Gps.ino and still uses classes.
Just replace the Gps.ino and add the follwing lines to config.h gps part

//#define NMEA
    #define UBLOX
   // #define MTK

#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER

//#define GPS_FILTERING
//#define NAV_SLEW_RATE              30

Plus add the initialisation to the multiwii.ino setup()

#if defined(GPS_SERIAL)

#if defined(UBLOX)
   UBLOX_init();
   delay(200);
  #endif

#if defined(MTK)
   MTK_init();
   delay(200);
 #endif

Hello,

I have the NEO-6M from Hobbyking http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31135__NEO_6M_GPS_Module.html
It also looses the config after a little while on disconnection. My default connection speed is 38400 baud and not like others with 9600 baud. Do you think the solution should work for me anyways?

If so, there is one think I did not understand:

1. I replaced the gps.ino
2. I added the code into the config.h
3. I set the GPS to 57600 baud
4. Where exactly should I place the code into multiwii.ino?

majoo

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K »

majoo wrote:My default connection speed is 38400 baud and not like others with 9600 baud. Do you think the solution should work for me anyways?

If so, there is one think I did not understand:

1. I replaced the gps.ino
2. I added the code into the config.h
3. I set the GPS to 57600 baud
4. Where exactly should I place the code into multiwii.ino?

majoo

Yes, the 38400 baud default shouldn't matter (It checks that speed too before setting the speed to 57600). Nothing in multiwii.ino needs changed. Just replace the gps.ino file with the new one and add the defines to the config.h file.

majoo

Post by majoo »

but ESIbandi's instruction says: "Plus add the initialisation to the multiwii.ino setup()"

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K »

majoo wrote:but ESIbandi's instruction says: "Plus add the initialisation to the multiwii.ino setup()"

Oh yes... I forgot about that setup. :oops: Put the red bolded lines in between the nonbolded lines in multiwii.ino.

EOSBandi wrote:Plus add the initialisation to the multiwii.ino setup()

#if defined(GPS_SERIAL)

#if defined(UBLOX)
UBLOX_init();
delay(200);
#endif

#if defined(MTK)
MTK_init();
delay(200);
#endif

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

Hi there,

I've got the CN-06 V2 board with the eeprom, does anyone have a link to firmware that adjusts settings that will work with multiwii? I found a config file but its designed for ardupilot. Also does the CN-06 module connect directly into the CRIUS AIO pro without the i2c board?

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

Even if I try and change the baud rate settings in u-centre the settings are not stored after I reset the unit (even when I have saved them as per instructions). My unit is the V2.

scrat

Post by scrat »

fpv_downunder wrote:Even if I try and change the baud rate settings in u-centre the settings are not stored after I reset the unit (even when I have saved them as per instructions). My unit is the V2.

You don't need to change anything. MWii stes everything for you.

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

Ohhh ok, so do you mean that multiwii sends commands to the CN-06 to setup all the parameters? So all I should have to change is the baud rate?

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

Code you point me to where in the code does it change the settings? I've scanned through config.h and gps and I can't see anything.

scrat

Post by scrat »

fpv_downunder wrote:Code you point me to where in the code does it change the settings? I've scanned through config.h and gps and I can't see anything.

What version of multiwii is on your board?

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

2.1 stable release

scrat

Post by scrat »

fpv_downunder wrote:2.1 stable release

On 2.1 doesn't work out of the box. You must have dev version r1137 at least. Better to use the latest dev http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/detail?r=1342

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

Thanks I'll use that, I notice it says to use u-blox-config.ublox.txt from the source tree, where exactly is that? Is this code to work with serial (ie not i2c)?

scrat

Post by scrat »

You don't need that file. I have GPS section like that on Crius AIO Pro and I have GPS Ublox - http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

Please change MAGNETIC_DECLINIATION. Here you can check yours: http://magnetic-declination.com/

Then to calculate into decimal degree: http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minutes-s ... ulator.htm

/**************************************************************************************/
/*********************** GPS **************************/
/**************************************************************************************/

/* GPS using a SERIAL port
if enabled, define here the Arduino Serial port number and the UART speed
note: only the RX PIN is used in case of NMEA mode, the GPS is not configured by multiwii
in NMEA mode the GPS must be configured to output GGA and RMC NMEA sentences (which is generally the default conf for most GPS devices)
at least 5Hz update rate. uncomment the first line to select the GPS serial port of the arduino */
#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
//#define GPS_BAUD 57600
#define GPS_BAUD 115200

/* GPS protocol
NMEA - Standard NMEA protocol GGA, GSA and RMC sentences are needed
UBLOX - U-Blox binary protocol, use the ublox config file (u-blox-config.ublox.txt) from the source tree
MTK_BINARY16 and MTK_BINARY19 - MTK3329 chipset based GPS with DIYDrones binary firmware (v1.6 or v1.9)
With UBLOX and MTK_BINARY you don't have to use GPS_FILTERING in multiwii code !!! */

//#define NMEA
#define UBLOX
//#define MTK_BINARY16
//#define MTK_BINARY19
//#define INIT_MTK_GPS // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence or binary settings

//#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL 57600 // Will Autosense if GPS is connected when ardu boots

/* I2C GPS device made with an independant arduino + GPS device
including some navigation functions
contribution from EOSBandi http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/
You have to use at least I2CGpsNav code r33 */
//#define I2C_GPS

/* I2C GPS device made with an indeedent ATTiny[24]313 + GPS device and
optional sonar device. https://github.com/wertarbyte/tiny-gps/ */
/* get GPS data from Tiny-GPS */
//#define TINY_GPS
/* get sonar data from Tiny-GPS */
//#define TINY_GPS_SONAR

/* GPS data readed from Misio-OSD - GPS module connected to OSD, and MultiWii read GPS data from OSD - tested and working OK ! */
//#define GPS_FROM_OSD

/* indicate a valid GPS fix with at least 5 satellites by flashing the LED - Modified by MIS - Using stable LED (YELLOW on CRIUS AIO) led work as sat number indicator
- No GPS FIX -> LED blink at speed of incoming GPS frames
- Fix and sat no. bellow 5 -> LED off
- Fix and sat no. >= 5 -> LED blinks, one blink for 5 sat, two blinks for 6 sat, three for 7 ... */
#define GPS_LED_INDICATOR

//#define USE_MSP_WP //Enables the MSP_WP command, which is used by WinGUI to display and log Home and Poshold positions

//#define DONT_RESET_HOME_AT_ARM // HOME position is reset at every arm, uncomment it to prohibit it (you can set home position with GyroCalibration)

/* GPS navigation can control the heading */

#define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING true // copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it
#define NAV_TAIL_FIRST false // true - copter comes in with tail first
#define NAV_SET_TAKEOFF_HEADING true // true - when copter arrives to home position it rotates it's head to takeoff direction

/* Get your magnetic decliniation from here : http://magnetic-declination.com/
Convert the degree+minutes into decimal degree by ==> degree+minutes*(1/60)
Note the sign on declination it could be negative or positive (WEST or EAST) */
//#define MAG_DECLINIATION 3.96f //For Budapest Hungary.
#define MAG_DECLINIATION 3.01f //For Ljubljana Slovenija.

#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER // Adds a forward predictive filterig to compensate gps lag. Code based on Jason Short's lead filter implementation

//#define GPS_FILTERING // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates, helps eliminate gps noise but adds latency comment out to disable
#define GPS_WP_RADIUS 200 // if we are within this distance to a waypoint then we consider it reached (distance is in cm)
#define NAV_SLEW_RATE 30 // Adds a rate control to nav output, will smoothen out nav angle spikes

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

OK cool i'll see how it goes.

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

Well, it works... I think! One weird thing I noticed, it is giving me a readout without decimals, in multiwii conf I'm getting:

GPS FIX
LAT: -xxxxxxxxx
LON: xxxxxxxxxx

Is this a known issue?
Last edited by fpv_downunder on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

is it correct ;) ?
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=-27.53674 ... 8&t=h&z=18

no decimals because unit is 1/10 000 000 deg.

fpv_downunder

Post by fpv_downunder »

Pretty close ;) only had 5 sat so that's why it's about 15m off.

Thanks for everyone's assistance

(now time to edit to remove my location!))

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Hey guys. I just found out that the battery on my Ublox Neo 6M was ripped off, and one of the traces broke. I appear to still be picking up sat's, and I am curious if I can just remove the battery from this board without doing any harm??

I am running 2.2pre on my 2650 Mega Board.

Mis

Post by Mis »

Without battery you need wait few minutes after any power up the FC for GPS FIX.
With battery only first power up in a day need more time for getting FIX, then next power up's get fix within few seconds.

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K »

subaru4wd wrote:Hey guys. I just found out that the battery on my Ublox Neo 6M was ripped off, and one of the traces broke. I appear to still be picking up sat's, and I am curious if I can just remove the battery from this board without doing any harm??

I am running 2.2pre on my 2650 Mega Board.

I've been there... One crash too many and poof went the battery. I ordered a new battery off of ebay for a couple bucks.

I then super-glued the new battery down with the leads over the old solder positions.

The negative lead (right side lead) is easy to fix. Just make a small solder bridge from it to the gnd pin right above it.

The positive lead is a pain in the ass to fix. I used a small piece of wire-wrap wire to solder the positive lead of the battery to the upper lead of the 1k resistor next to it and then I continued the wire down and then 90 degree bend and soldered the other end to the 2nd pin on the main gps chip. It looks like an 'L' that is soldered in 3 places.

I then hot glued the battery and the 'L' wire to the gps board.

I would have ignored the issue but having to wait a couple minutes every time I connected power to the board became too much of a pain. RTL with a poor GPS lock is BAD BAD BAD :)

cayesa

Post by cayesa »

What is happening?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/RmA7EW9yHi8

Multiwii Pro from Hobbyking (cryus pro clone) and Neo 6 GPS. Actived filtering GPS in sketch.

Thanks

cayesa

Post by cayesa »

cayesa wrote:What is happening?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/RmA7EW9yHi8

Multiwii Pro from Hobbyking (cryus pro clone) and Neo 6 GPS. Actived filtering GPS in sketch.

Thanks

I answer myself: the GPS is faulty. Same connection and code and with a new GPS unit it's working fine. Hobbyking has refunded my money for faulty unit.

Thanks to all has seen the video to try to help me.

weisseruebe

Post by weisseruebe »

Hi Guys,

I've a strange problem with my UBlox GPS from RCTimer.

If I power the Crius AIO with the USB connector and start MultiWiiConfig, GPS data is received and I get a satfix. If I power the FC with the Lipo, I don't get data and satfix - but the GPS Module gets proper power. It comes with default configuration and is configured through the flightcontrol. I assume it is a timing issue. Any ideas how to fix that?

Regards
Andreas

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

weisseruebe wrote:Hi Guys,

I've a strange problem with my UBlox GPS from RCTimer.

If I power the Crius AIO with the USB connector and start MultiWiiConfig, GPS data is received and I get a satfix. If I power the FC with the Lipo, I don't get data and satfix - but the GPS Module gets proper power. It comes with default configuration and is configured through the flightcontrol. I assume it is a timing issue. Any ideas how to fix that?

Regards
Andreas

Andreas, take a look at this and load the loaded the config file to the GPS. It worked for me with a similar problem.

http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3431&start=40#p36407

weisseruebe

Post by weisseruebe »

realpastaman wrote:Andreas, take a look at this and load the loaded the config file to the GPS. It worked for me with a similar problem.
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3431&start=40#p36407

Yeehaa, it works now after configuring the Ublox with that config. Thanks a lot!
Ublox accuracy is even a little bit better than MTK in binary mode.

Regards
Andreas