Motor Stop with MultiWII 2.1

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
toxik31

Motor Stop with MultiWII 2.1

Post by toxik31 »

Hello,

Since the use of MultiWii 2.1, I have a strange behavior on my Quad X copter.
It seems that I have randomly an motor stop during the flight.
My last 3 flights have resulted in a flip and so on a crash :(
The strange behavior is that be produced with different function.

In my first fly after uploading and configuring the MultiWii 2.1 on my copter, I have a motor stop in accro fly after an POS HOLD. During this fly, I have setup the Level mode and tested it, I have made many test of POS HOLD (with LEVEL, BARO and MAG activated) and RTH (With LEVEL and BARO (I have forget to activate the MAG in MultiWII Conf)).
In my my second fly, I have tested the POS HOLD (with LEVEL, BARO and MAG activated) and RTH (With LEVEL, BARO and MAG). My motor was produced after an POS HOLD when I have activated the RTH Function :(
And Yesterday, my flip was produced during a smooth ACCRO fly.

Before, I used the MultiWII 2.0 with any problem but just in ACCRO Mode, LEVEL mode, MAG mode and HEAD FREE mode.
I want to use the MultiWII 2.1 because I have added an I2C GPS in my copter.

My Setup:

Does anyone have this kind of problem?
I don't see what to do to try to solve it?

Finally, I want to thank all the contributor of the MultiWII Project. The last functionalies of MultiWII 2.1 is a real pleasure (POS HOLD, RTH, ALT mode is quite precise now).
And a real thanks to this forum, it allowed me to solve a lot of problem on my copter setup since 1 year.

Thanks

Frédéric

bill516

Re: Motor Stop with MultiWII 2.1

Post by bill516 »

Check all joints esp' solder joints that they are all good. Is it the same motor every time?, if yes then move the motor to another position and see if fault still happens. If the fault moves with the motor then the motor is suspect, check wiring of motor esp where windings come out of motor. If fault stays on same motor output then its down to esc or bad/intermittant connection, move suspect esc to another position see if fault moves. Dont move the motor and esc at same time as you wont know if its the motor or the esc.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

what cpu/mcu does your flightcontroller use? If 328p (like promini), with all your sensors plus gps, it could be out of memory.
If yes, then PM me your config.h and include info of the cpu on your fc.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

toxik31 wrote:My Setup:

Hi Frédéric,

are you using that FrSky Rx with PPM sum by any chance?
There was (still is) an issue with frame gaps that were too small in a few FrSky receivers.
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1044

Cheers
Andy

toxik31

Post by toxik31 »

bill516 wrote:Check all joints esp' solder joints that they are all good. Is it the same motor every time?, if yes then move the motor to another position and see if fault still happens. If the fault moves with the motor then the motor is suspect, check wiring of motor esp where windings come out of motor. If fault stays on same motor output then its down to esc or bad/intermittant connection, move suspect esc to another position see if fault moves. Dont move the motor and esc at same time as you wont know if its the motor or the esc.

In the past with the old version (MW 2.0), I never had this kind of problem. But I have changed a motor since 2 weeks (I have broken a shaft motor after a crash). at this time, I don't have identified if there is the same motor which is stopping all the time and if it's the new changed motor. I will try to check that the next fly and this week end. I will try to resolder the esc and the new motor too this night.

Hamburger wrote:what cpu/mcu does your flightcontroller use? If 328p (like promini), with all your sensors plus gps, it could be out of memory.
If yes, then PM me your config.h and include info of the cpu on your fc.

Yes, it's a 328p cpu/mpu. At this time, I'm at work and I don't have my config.h under hand. I will send it by PM at the end of the afternoon.

fiendie wrote:
toxik31 wrote:My Setup:

Hi Frédéric,

are you using that FrSky Rx with PPM sum by any chance?
There was (still is) an issue with frame gaps that were too small in a few FrSky receivers.
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1044

Cheers
Andy

Effectively, I have a Turnigy 9X with the FrSky mod and I have flashed the D8R-II to have the CPPM output on this receiver.
I use the CPPM output to be able to use the AUX input.
I will try to just use 6channel.

Thank you for your response.
I'll let you know as soon as possible

Fred

scanman

Post by scanman »

take the bell housing of the motor and check all of the little magnets in there, see if any of them have worn or rubbed marks on them. if so, it means that magnet comes loose during flight and stops the motor. remove the magnet, clean the surface and glue it back into place with some locktite nut glue

flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

Yes i have similar problem.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2068&start=40#p20818

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2281

Need some attention for this problem. Without acro its seems quite safe.