MultiWii EZ-GUI

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Deet

Re: MultiWii EZ-GUI

Post by Deet »

I got a new handset yesterday and cannot get the app to connect to my BT module, I haven't tried the app previously so I am wondering if its something I am not doing right

In the config tab i have selected the correct BT device

The BT Module is paired, and I can use Naze32 to connect to MW and get PID info, so the baud rate on the BT module is correct

The handset is a Samsung Galaxy Ace, and its running Android v2.3.5

I am running the most recent dev version of the MW code

dramida

Post by dramida »

Yesterday i tested EZ-GUI with map navigation on R13 of NHAdrian mwc branch.

The copter worked as expected.

I want to remark that we need a SEND button that also closes the pop-up window. In actual version i have to press back arrow on my smartphone to close the window and after that i get the visual confirmation on map. (is the app checking that the transmission of WP was succesfull to MWC?)

PS. Alex just moded the shared trunk to be possible to remotely change the PH point instead Home point, in this way home remains as failsafe position in case of lost comm.

ezio

Post by ezio »

dramida wrote:I want to remark that we need a SEND button that also closes the pop-up window. In actual version i have to press back arrow on my smartphone to close the window and after that i get the visual confirmation on map. (is the app checking that the transmission of WP was succesfull to MWC?)

PS. Alex just moded the shared trunk to be possible to remotely change the PH point instead Home point, in this way home remains as failsafe position in case of lost comm.

Send button now closes the window. Yeah I know it was annoying :)
App is not checking anything, but the position which is shown on the map is pulled from multiwii so if the mark (Home or Position hold) is on the map in right place you can be sure that the position is set correctly.

I will make the app compatible with Alex's changes soon.

ezio

Post by ezio »

nhadrian wrote:I attached a screenshot about the leftover notification.
BTW, the copter icon is not scaled in the notification bar... but this is pitty, not needed to be fixed.

could you check it with today's update ? (the status in notification bar, not the icon)

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Notification still exists...

I attached az ICON design, just for fun. I specially made it to match my windows 7 launcher style.

Looking forward to the WP16 injection, I'll test once you make it.
Attachments
Adrian1.png
(5.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

ezio

Post by ezio »

Deet wrote:I got a new handset yesterday and cannot get the app to connect to my BT module, I haven't tried the app previously so I am wondering if its something I am not doing right

The BT Module is paired, and I can use Naze32 to connect to MW and get PID info, so the baud rate on the BT module is correct

could you tell me that the newest version works ?

ezio

Post by ezio »

Just to let you know you can actually run EZ-GUI on the PC/Laptop using x86 Android port from here: http://www.android-x86.org/

ezio

Post by ezio »

nhadrian wrote:Looking forward to the WP16 injection, I'll test once you make it.

Maybe you can write to EOSBandi and ask if he can modify the source to be compatible with I2C GPS, because right now it is not.

} else if (wp_no == 16) { // OK with SERIAL GPS -- NOK for I2C GPS / needs more code dev in order to inject GPS coord inside I2C GPS
GPS_hold[LAT] = lat;
GPS_hold[LON] = lon;
#if !define...

Bart

ezio

Post by ezio »

nhadrian wrote:Notification still exists...

Could you check if notification disappears if you have "Disable BT on exit" enabled in Config ?

ezio

Post by ezio »

Notification should be fixed in todays relase.
Also I added possibility to set Position Hold from a map.
And for now "follow me" sets position for both Home and Hold.
"follow me" should be more responsive as it sends the position as fast as possible.

Bart

Deet

Post by Deet »

ezio wrote:
Deet wrote:I got a new handset yesterday and cannot get the app to connect to my BT module, I haven't tried the app previously so I am wondering if its something I am not doing right

could you tell me that the newest version works ?

Working now, thanks

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Many thanks Bart!

I'll test the hold changing function soon!
I attached a picture how my icon looks like.

BR
Adrian
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-01-31-06-49-02.png

ezio

Post by ezio »

nhadrian wrote:Many thanks Bart!

BR
Adrian

I don't know. I would rather stick to android style icon
http://developer.android.com/design/sty ... raphy.html

Bart

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

ezio wrote:
nhadrian wrote:Many thanks Bart!

BR
Adrian

I don't know. I would rather stick to android style icon
http://developer.android.com/design/sty ... raphy.html

Bart

Hi Bart,

maybe you misunderstanded me, personally I'm really bad in graphic things, I only made this one to have something similar to the other icons on my phone, not for the community (I don't have time for that..:( )
The reason I shared because maybe the idea of the arrange could be used on a more detailed way...

BR
Adrian

dramida

Post by dramida »

........., personally I'm really bad in graphic things, I only made this one to have something similar to the other icons on my phone, not for the community....

BR

this is the storry of entire Multiwii project, bad people doing good work with passion :)

dramida

Post by dramida »

Today i used EZ-GUI to navigate on map. Unfortunately i didn't update the EZ-GUI to PH injection until after i came back from the field. This Android aplication is amazing ! Thank you Bart!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMqMO8-F_I

ps. Have you considered to add also altitude to WP injection? NHAdrian has a working altitude control algoritm in its topic viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2965&start=30#p30297

ezio

Post by ezio »

First wait for the Heading injection :)

it will be available soon

dramida

Post by dramida »

Why you would need Heading injection?

ezio

Post by ezio »

dramida wrote:Why you would need Heading injection?

"the phone could update regularly the heading hold of the multi so that the multi keeps always the same orientation of the phone (a sort of « follow my heading »). This should interest some photographs.
The smartphone could calculate the heading so that the multi always face (or tail) the home pos."

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Imagine the following cases:
1) you lock the multi in the air
2) you point toward a direction with your smartphone and the multi changes its orientation toward this direction. It's possible with the reading of internal smartphone compass.
---
2) the ground station (smatphone in this case) sends specific heading direction for panorama shoots
---
1) you select a point on the map
2) the ground station calculates the right heading to always face this point

and probably many more

dramida

Post by dramida »

Realy interesting application indeed. As a photographer, i have a client which require, on a mounthly basis, aerial photos from same position of its building site.
In my oppinion, a natural evolvement, from 2D positioning on a map, would be 3D positioning on a map with altitude (and that should answer my challenge also).
NHAdrian did a pretty good job about altitude control, i am pleased with results. Maybe a new dev version to include this mods woud be useful to further test altitude features.

ezio

Post by ezio »

I think we need to rethink the Waypoints. I think that waypoint should contain position (lat, lon), altitude, heading, navigation flag (for future use ) and maybe time to spend at position.
And MSP_SET_WP should set all these values.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

ezio wrote:I think we need to rethink the Waypoints. I think that waypoint should contain position (lat, lon), altitude, heading, navigation flag (for future use ) and maybe time to spend at position.
And MSP_SET_WP should set all these values.

Exactly, but also should contain the vario not only altitude.

Unfortunatelly the currenc nav flags, structure can't handle proper WP nav. At least that is my oppinion.

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime »

What I wold like to know is how to shut the annoying voice up!I couldn't fine no setting option.

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

text to speach in config, scroll right to find cofig

jamesbit

Post by jamesbit »

Hallo !

I have tried MultiWii EZ-GUI on a Samsung Galaxy S Advance with a Dual processor 1 Ghz . The Android version is 2.3.6.
My Galaxy with dual processor isn't low on processing power but this app run slow on that.
I get much delay to obtain live motor updates and dashboards data. In other words it don't run smootly !
I have tried the Multiwii app by nando and it works good and smoothly.
I like this Ezio app and I want use it…please can anyone help me ?

Thank you for your work…

Regards,

James.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi Bart,

yesterday I tested the 3dr radio modules outside.
It worked quite well but I have noticed something.
In dashboard mode I continously data reading, but in MAP mode and in logging I get sometimes big data loss.

My idea is that data loss is because there is too much data at a time.
Would it be possible to add an option for set up the "communication speed" in Hz? I mean ie. 1-5-10-20Hz steps...
In that case there would be enough time after each MSP order to listen for valid data (for some ms), and send order again once the reply is damaged by data loss.

BR
Adrian

ezio

Odp: MultiWii EZ-GUI

Post by ezio »

Hi
There is a option in config to set refresh rate. You can specify a delay after each loop pass in ms

jamesbit

Post by jamesbit »

Hi !

I did several tests by setting the refresh rate but I have always more delay.

It may be due to the graphics?

I can't disable hardware acceleration in 2.3.6.

If there is some solution please tell me...

Thank you...

nhadrian

Re: Odp: MultiWii EZ-GUI

Post by nhadrian »

ezio wrote:Hi
There is a option in config to set refresh rate. You can specify a delay after each loop pass in ms

Yes, indeed, that is the first part of my question.
But, if I set up a slow refresh rate enough, would it be possible to modify the communication logic for example for request any sentences ie. maximum 3 times if there is no valid reply (due to data loss).

My other question is that are you going to adapt these changes?
http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/detail?r=1331

BR
Adrian

ezio

Post by ezio »

nhadrian wrote:

But, if I set up a slow refresh rate enough, would it be possible to modify the communication logic for example for request any sentences ie. maximum 3 times if there is no valid reply (due to data loss).

BR
Adrian

I think I have to change the speed of sending commands.
RSSI will be available soon. When I can't tell. I is quite hard to keep it synchronized with latest dev as I'm the only one working on this app.

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K »

Quick question:

If I run calibrate acc or mag, do I then need to save the results into eeprom? Or are they automatically saved?

ezio

Post by ezio »

Mark_K wrote:Quick question:

If I run calibrate acc or mag, do I then need to save the results into eeprom? Or are they automatically saved?

they are automatically saved

WesH

Post by WesH »

I looked through all of the posts in the forum before asking what is probably a stupid question. I bought a seeed bluetooth shield at radio shack does anyone happen to have any experience with this. When I load their example code into my Uno I can communicate with my tablet. When I load multiwii 2.1 into the Uno I get nothing. Should I need to add anything to the multiwii 2.1 code to make this work? Is there something about the way this board connects that interferes with the multiwii? for example does the shield rely on pins that the multiwii also uses? I dont't expect too much. This appears to be a pretty crappy product with very little support, documentation, or general "how to" examplesnout there.

ezio

Post by ezio »

WesH wrote:I looked through all of the posts in the forum before asking what is probably a stupid question. I bought a seeed bluetooth shield at radio shack does anyone happen to have any experience with this. When I load their example code into my Uno I can communicate with my tablet. When I load multiwii 2.1 into the Uno I get nothing. Should I need to add anything to the multiwii 2.1 code to make this work? Is there something about the way this board connects that interferes with the multiwii? for example does the shield rely on pins that the multiwii also uses? I dont't expect too much. This appears to be a pretty crappy product with very little support, documentation, or general "how to" examplesnout there.

Hi
Default baud rate for this shield is 38400
You have to change it to 115200 if you want to use it with multiwii. Usually it is done via AT commands. Read the Bluetooth documentation.
look here at the bottom http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.p ... oth_Shield
Last edited by ezio on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

WesH

Post by WesH »

OMG thank you very much.

ezio

Post by ezio »

WesH wrote:OMG thank you very much.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.p ... oth_Shield at the bottom

WesH

Post by WesH »

Unfortunately being a techno-anderthal, or thech-neanderthal whichever you perfer, I seem to be incapable of getting it all together. However I have considered the possibility that the shield won't work for this application and I need something stand alone that doesn't rely on the arduino for its' operating parameters. If this is my problem don't bother reading on because that would explain the rest of my issues that can probably be fixed by writing/ altering a bunch of complex code that I am incapable of doing and I don't expect anyone else to do for me. At that point it's probably back to Radio Shack with the shield. It appears that the seeed bluetooth shield is not capable of communication unless you have "slave" or "master" code running which requires the softwareSerial.h library and it relies on arduino IO pins for TX/RX not the actual TX/RX of the arduino. I came to this conclusion because when I load the example "slave" code onto the arduino the BT shield and my tablet are able to pair, and EZ-GUI can connect to the BT shield, and if I open serial monitor I actually get a string of characters coming from EZ-GUI. Now if I do nothing else except for load multiwii 2.1 onto the arduino, the EZ-GUI says unable to connect. I tried to put the "slave" code somewhere in different places in the multiwii code which reults in all kinds of errors. A few methods I have tried are creating my own tab which of course resulted in re-definition of void setup and void loop. I tried putting the setup and loop code in the proper places which takes care of those problems however at that point it seems the softwareSerial.h library has conflicts with something in the multiwii code. I get a re-definition of vector_5 error and after some google searching determined that it definately has something to do with the library trying to do something that the multiwii is already trying to do.

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Serial ... 3cc643cda7

work just fine, connect with terminal program at 9600 baud send "AT+BAUD8" and it run's just fine with MW

ezio

Post by ezio »

ezio wrote:
nhadrian wrote:

BR
Adrian

I think I have to change the speed of sending commands.
RSSI will be available soon. When I can't tell. I is quite hard to keep it synchronized with latest dev as I'm the only one working on this app.

I added rssi to raw data view in today update. You can verify if it is correct.
it is now compatible with dev1337

Bart

ezio

Post by ezio »

Alexinparis wrote:

Imagine the following cases:
2) you point toward a direction with your smartphone and the multi changes its orientation toward this direction. It's possible with the reading of internal smartphone compass.
---
2) the ground station (smatphone in this case) sends specific heading direction for panorama shoots
---
1) you select a point on the map
2) the ground station calculates the right heading to always face this point

and probably many more

You can try it after today update. It is hidden in gps view as I'm not sure if it works. You have to press yellow bar to unhide it.

Bart

WesH

Post by WesH »

Gimbal wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Serial-4-Pin-Bluetooth-RF-Transceiver-Module-Backplane-RS232-F-Arduino-/261024370087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc643cda7

work just fine, connect with terminal program at 9600 baud send "AT+BAUD8" and it run's just fine with MW

Thank you..... Seems like that's the way I'm headed. I have come to the conclusion that the shield I have is really only suited for development and not stand alone communication. I am still not clear on weather or not the MW code needs to be altered at all to use BT communication. I can't find anything out there that explains things for the common moron like me. It would be nice to find a dumbed dowm tutorial that says, buy this bluetooth module, plug it in here, change the multiwii code here, and your done. For example the "QSC Tricopter" tutorial however it wouldn't have to be nearly as in depth. Just a quick simple step by step set of instructions. I had absolutely no experience in building anything radio control. However the QSC tricopter however in depth instructions were so easy I had to do it.

Thank you all for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it. It seems every time I want to try something new with arduino it is never as easy as I think it should be.

Deet

Post by Deet »

WesH wrote:
Gimbal wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Serial-4-Pin-Bluetooth-RF-Transceiver-Module-Backplane-RS232-F-Arduino-/261024370087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc643cda7

Thank you..... Seems like that's the way I'm headed. I have come to the conclusion that the shield I have is really only suited for development and not stand alone communication. I am still not clear on weather or not the MW code needs to be altered at all to use BT communication. I can't find anything out there that explains things for the common moron like me. It would be nice to find a dumbed dowm tutorial that says, buy this bluetooth module, plug it in here, change the multiwii code here, and your done. For example the "QSC Tricopter" tutorial however it wouldn't have to be nearly as in depth. Just a quick simple step by step set of instructions. I had absolutely no experience in building anything radio control. However the QSC tricopter however in depth instructions were so easy I had to do it.

Thank you all for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it. It seems every time I want to try something new with arduino it is never as easy as I think it should be.

Nothing in the multiwii code needs to be changed to make the bluetooth work

Buy this BT module here: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/bluetooth-paris

It is set up ready to work with the correct baud rates

HOWEVER, I cant tell you how it will wire to your board, as I dont know what board you have, it connects to the serial port

But if you buy a Paris Board from the same website, it will plug straight into a dedicated connector

WesH

Post by WesH »

Deet wrote:
WesH wrote:

Nothing in the multiwii code needs to be changed to make the bluetooth work

Buy this BT module here: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/bluetooth-paris

It is set up ready to work with the correct baud rates

HOWEVER, I cant tell you how it will wire to your board, as I dont know what board you have, it connects to the serial port

But if you buy a Paris Board from the same website, it will plug straight into a dedicated connector

Thank You. I am using a pro mini, and wii controller/ nunchuck combo. I assume connection are vcc, gnd, tx andrx

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

hey by the cheapest Bluetooth on eBay, configure it to 115200 baud "AT+BAUD8" connect it to serial, download and run Multiwii EZ on your android, thats it

ezio

Post by ezio »

I have tested Heading inject.
But due to cold weather my brain didn't work well and I forgot to calibrate compass in my quad.
So I can tell that injecting works but I have no idea that it is correct :)

Bart

Deet

Post by Deet »

WesH wrote:Thank You. I am using a pro mini, and wii controller/ nunchuck combo. I assume connection are vcc, gnd, tx andrx

Yep, just remember Rx goes to Tx. Tx to Rx

WesH

Post by WesH »

Deet wrote:
WesH wrote:Thank You. I am using a pro mini, and wii controller/ nunchuck combo. I assume connection are vcc, gnd, tx andrx

Yep, just remember Rx goes to Tx. Tx to Rx

Thanks for the reminder. There is a 50/50 chance I might have remembered on my own.

dramida

Post by dramida »

Hi, i've made a video with EZ-GUI controlling navigation in position hold to a multiwii quadcopter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpoPanmVa9Y

On short distances, navigation goes smoothly but when i tried 500m or so, the gps hold went mad and started leaning in extreme angles.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

I'm almost sure there is an overlow.
Somebody should check the nav code!

Dramida, could you make some kind of log about gps raw datas and copter raw datas? Maybe something could be figured out.
BTW, what data transfer do you use for 500 m? Plain BT is not capable of that range...

BR
Adrian