MultiWii EZ-GUI

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
wilco1967

Re: MultiWii EZ-GUI

Post by wilco1967 »

Perhaps not the right place to ask, but a lot of readers here might have the same question

I finally got an old android phone, and have succesfully used it with MultiWii EzGUI and a bluetooth link through Alexinparis's great UART radio project (433 MHz control + serial link with HK orange module).

Now I'm ready for the next step: Getting Frsky telemetry data (not MW serial data) to the android phone over BT. (mainly for my other planes).

I already have modified my 9X with Frsky telemetry, which is working great, using this mod:
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/File:Frsky_telemetry_mod_overview1.jpg
But I would like to try to have the same FrSky telemetry also available to EzGUI on the phone over BT

The question is: Could I simply connect the BT adapter in my 9X on the TTL side of the RS-232/TTL level shifter ? (in parallel to the Mosi / Miso wires) . I guess i might have to put some resistors to the lines somewhere....
I tried to find some schematic, but all I can find is the 9X telemetry conversion, and the bluetooth conversion, but not for both together....
I might go ahead and try, but I thought better ask first, before I destroy anything (which is working beautifully now).

Also I assume, I cannot have both the 9X and the bluetooth sending data out to the Tx module at the same time. I guess the only thing requiring sending anything is the adjustments of the alarms in the Frsky module.
For me it would be more than sufficient, if the android phone could only 'hear' the serial stream coming from the Frsky telemetry. I can do the settings from 9X. Is this possible, or MUST the android be able to sent in order to work ?

Thanks a lot !

ezio

Odp: MultiWii EZ-GUI

Post by ezio »

Has anyone tested the waypoints feature?
Bart

fryefryefrye

Re: Odp: MultiWii EZ-GUI

Post by fryefryefrye »

ezio wrote:Has anyone tested the waypoints feature?
Bart

I have tested the waypoints feature. Both with some random point and circular path.
The data link between Android and Copter is the 433Mhz Uart link.
There are working ok, thanks for your wonderful job.

When I set new holding point in “Map”, I must try 2-3 times that the holding point in MWC can be updated.

But in “waypoints map”, Do you have any retry mechanism ? Next holding points was updated very well.

scrat

Post by scrat »

ezio wrote:Has anyone tested the waypoints feature?
Bart

Wanted to try but didn't succeded. Is there any how to? I have use_msp_wp uncommented....and how to folow me?

Nickman1200

Post by Nickman1200 »

wilco1967 wrote:Perhaps not the right place to ask, but a lot of readers here might have the same question

I already have modified my 9X with Frsky telemetry, which is working great, using this mod:
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/File:Frsky_telemetry_mod_overview1.jpg
But I would like to try to have the same FrSky telemetry also available to EzGUI on the phone over BT

I have the same mod :)

The question is: Could I simply connect the BT adapter in my 9X on the TTL side of the RS-232/TTL level shifter ? (in parallel to the Mosi / Miso wires) . I guess i might have to put some resistors to the lines somewhere....
I tried to find some schematic, but all I can find is the 9X telemetry conversion, and the bluetooth conversion, but not for both together....
I might go ahead and try, but I thought better ask first, before I destroy anything (which is working beautifully now).

Also I assume, I cannot have both the 9X and the bluetooth sending data out to the Tx module at the same time. I guess the only thing requiring sending anything is the adjustments of the alarms in the Frsky module.
For me it would be more than sufficient, if the android phone could only 'hear' the serial stream coming from the Frsky telemetry. I can do the settings from 9X. Is this possible, or MUST the android be able to sent in order to work ?
Thanks a lot !

This is correct. I get Telemetry both on my TH9X and over BT to ez-gui at the same time.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

I had an interesting adventure with this fabulous tool, I did not read all 66 pages of this thread to see if anyone experienced this, but i was doing some PID tuning and at some point I must have restarted the exgui and not hit read, or something, i dont know, but i was making changes to my YAW rate and i saved to eeprom and tried to fly and it would suddenly just flip over.

I decided I must have given it a bad YAW rate setting so i went to put it back where it was, and i noticed that i somehow wiped all settings from the PID screen, except YAW rate.
it read zeroes across the board, and i had no save of the old settings, so i had to start completely over, lol.

anyway im flying again and ended up tuning it much better than before so it all worked out, but i wanted to share.

alll

Post by alll »

Yes, happened to me!
Before "writing" (changing), you need to force a "read".
manu

Nickman1200

Post by Nickman1200 »

tovrin wrote:I had an interesting adventure with this fabulous tool, I did not read all 66 pages of this thread to see if anyone experienced this, but i was doing some PID tuning and at some point I must have restarted the exgui and not hit read, or something, i dont know, but i was making changes to my YAW rate and i saved to eeprom and tried to fly and it would suddenly just flip over.

I decided I must have given it a bad YAW rate setting so i went to put it back where it was, and i noticed that i somehow wiped all settings from the PID screen, except YAW rate.
it read zeroes across the board, and i had no save of the old settings, so i had to start completely over, lol.

anyway im flying again and ended up tuning it much better than before so it all worked out, but i wanted to share.

Yes the same thing happened to me :?
Ez-GUI should always read PID settings after it first starts.

ezio

Post by ezio »

Hello everyone. Right now I'm on vacations so I can't make an update. If you can add every issue to on the github page. I will try to update ez-gui asap (September)

Greg Covey

Post by Greg Covey »

Hi,

I have a few issues with the Multiwii EZ-GUI that perhaps someone can help me with. My version seems to be the latest from July 15, 2013 in the Android Apps store.

First, this is my favorite Multiwii tablet app and a key reason for switching to Multiwii; being able to make field changes on an Android device.

1) Although I can get a map to display when I am in a WiFi hotspot, I cannot get a map to display without WiFi. Is this working as designed or is there a workaround?

2) When using the Waypoints Map, I can set up a circle and change the waypoints around the field. How do I activate the mission? I was expecting to see a flight mode that I could map to a radio switch setting or even a "Start Mission" button on the Waypoints Map screen.

3) My current link from the Android tablet app to my quad using Bluetooth, which is meant for short distance communication. Does the Waypoints Map screen download the GPS settings to the Multiwii board? Does this feature require a 3DR Radio Telemetry Link for longer distances?

Thank you.

Nickman1200

Post by Nickman1200 »

1) if you dont have any GSM/3G network data on your tablet you wont see any maps. EZ-GUI doesn't store any maps offline.

2,3) Multiwii hasn't got "real" way point / flight mission functions yet. I Think eiso made this to just move the home coordinate right now.
And you need to be in Bluetooth range for it to work.

justk1w1

Post by justk1w1 »

Any chance of adding the debug counters to the selection of items to display in the graph?

Greg Covey

Post by Greg Covey »

Nickman1200,

Thanks for the information!

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Hello again..
do you think that a cheap solution like this
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ainol-Numy-AX1-3G-GPS-7-Inch-HD-Screen-Android-4-2-Quad-Core-MTK8389-Tablet/1237755632.html
or something simillar will do the job ?

Thank you.

HSPalm

Post by HSPalm »

Yes as long as it functions like a regular Android tablet/phone and has bluetooth, yes. You need to have access to google play or download the .apk (android program file) for EZ-Gui from somewhere else.

ezio

Post by ezio »

NikTheGreek wrote:Hello again..
do you think that a cheap solution like this
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ainol-Numy-AX1-3G-GPS-7-Inch-HD-Screen-Android-4-2-Quad-Core-MTK8389-Tablet/1237755632.html
or something simillar will do the job ?

Thank you.

If it has gps and bluetooth it should work. "Should" because sometimes people have problems with very low end devices due to strange memory management.
Bart

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Thank you both for your reply.

ezio

Post by ezio »

justk1w1 wrote:Any chance of adding the debug counters to the selection of items to display in the graph?

done
Let me know if it works

ezio

Post by ezio »

tovrin wrote:I had an interesting adventure with this fabulous tool, I did not read all 66 pages of this thread to see if anyone experienced this, but i was doing some PID tuning and at some point I must have restarted the exgui and not hit read, or something, i dont know, but i was making changes to my YAW rate and i saved to eeprom and tried to fly and it would suddenly just flip over.

Should be fixed in today update

ezio

Post by ezio »

fryefryefrye wrote:When I set new holding point in “Map”, I must try 2-3 times that the holding point in MWC can be updated.

Let me know if it's better after the today update

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

thanks Ezio, I will check it out soon, am waiting for a new frame, finally decided to get rid of my heavy X525 frame and buy something lighter and not so bent up, lol!

ezio

Post by ezio »

after yesterday update map stops to work because I forgot to change google map api key.
In the next update (in next 2 hours) it should work but I have made some changes in the code and I have no time to test it. so be careful when you use Set home position and set hold position.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

btw ezio, thank you for updating the PID setting, worked great for me! well, until i wanted to see what happens when i crank yaw rate up to .7 (matching my P&R rate) and i managed to crash my copter into the pool wall (thankfully, not in the pool, only cost me a prop)

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

Hi

I'm using EZgui with a bluetooth adapter for some time now, and its working great....

However, sometimes it is very difficult to get the BT module and my phone to connect. I many times get 'unable to connect'. Sometimes takes a few minutes and many tries with sometimes exiting EZGui as well as switching off the transmitter with BT moduel, and then suddely, it works :? :roll: .... once connected, it stays on just fine. 8-)
Seems a lot like the issues I always seem to have getting Windows to connect to a BT device (ANY device)....... Might be just my bad luck with all kind of BT devices..

Are other people also having this issue, and is there a 'trick' to getting it to work more easily.

I tried 'new request methode' on and off, also changed refresh rate from 100 - 400, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.... very much doubt it has anything to do with EZgui.

I'm running the newest version (just updated yesterday, and it makes no difference). I use an old HTC desire S, updated to android 4.04.
Once it is connected, everything just works fine

Any Ideas ?

Wilco

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

Wilco, i have this problem too, what i have found that works everytime, for me, is to immediately click disconnect (even if im not connected, obviously) and then click connect again.

everytime.

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

Hi Tovrin,

Thanks a lot for that tip....

That works beautifully :P

To clarify, for others having the same issue.

- Start MWgui,
- let it activate BT (if not active already)
- hit the android menu button, this will bring up the option Disconnect
- select disconnect
- directly after that, select MW connect from the top
- now it will connect without problems :P

ezio

Post by ezio »

wilco1967 wrote:Hi Tovrin,

Thanks a lot for that tip....

That works beautifully :P

To clarify, for others having the same issue.

- Start MWgui,
- let it activate BT (if not active already)
- hit the android menu button, this will bring up the option Disconnect
- select disconnect
- directly after that, select MW connect from the top
- now it will connect without problems :P

hmmm interesting...
Bart

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

FYI Bart, this is on my samsung note2 running ICS

Tomek

Post by Tomek »

Hi !
@ezio Thanks for great work !

Will You incorporate servo reversing and additional setup functions from r1555 and up?

Thanks
P.S. Just info - Unlock is crashing on Samsung Galaxy S with Android2.2 but on Galaxy S4 works OK
Thanks again
Tom

ezio

Post by ezio »

Tomek wrote:Hi !
@ezio Thanks for great work !

Will You incorporate servo reversing and additional setup functions from r1555 and up?

Thanks
Tom

I will wait until stable v2.3 be available.

ezio

Post by ezio »

Tomek wrote:P.S. Just info - Unlock is crashing on Samsung Galaxy S with Android2.2 but on Galaxy S4 works OK
Thanks again
Tom

Hi
Could you check if unlock is still crashing after Unlocker update ?

Tomek

Post by Tomek »

Sorry but not - is stopping with message process com.ezio.ez.ez_gui_unlocker) has stoped unexpectedly.
Downloaded 2 minutes ago.
Looks like my old Galaxy S is running 2.3.5 not 2.2
Tom

ezio

Post by ezio »

Tomek wrote:Sorry but not - is stopping with message process com.ezio.ez.ez_gui_unlocker) has stoped unexpectedly.
Downloaded 2 minutes ago.
Looks like my old Galaxy S is running 2.3.5 not 2.2
Tom

Could you tell me when it's crashing?
Do you have sd card installed in your phone?
Btw. Where are you from? I can see polish name as the nick.

justk1w1

Post by justk1w1 »

Ezio,

Firstly thanks for adding the debug codes into the graph list - they have helped heaps.

Just to add to the list of crashing problems, however I think this is more to do with the handling of the USB. I bought a On The Go USB cable and have tried to use the gui with a 3DR radio connected ( looking to get the extra range over the BT) and find that the application stops responding when using the device. I can get a stable connection using my Motorola Zoom (non rooted, but using the USB host controller app from Sztupy) using droidplanner for arducopter, but ez-gui seems to want to default to BT and then stops responding. I have tried setting it to use serial and other (cdc/acm). Is this correct for use with the 3DR radio??

Many Thanks
JK

Tomek

Post by Tomek »

Hi !
OK now is working (after instaling SD card - this is old phone and SD card was removed.
It was crashing after hitting [UNLOCK] button.
Galaxy S Android 2.3.5 (USCellular update)
I'm polish living in US (Chicago area)
Pozdrawiam i wielkie dzieki za program !
Tomek

JDD

Post by JDD »

Is there any way to enable disable some of the aux button features over 3dr or Bluetooth.

In essence could I hit a button on the waypoint or dashboard 3 page to enable GPS hold instead of using a switch or channel on Rx/tx. I only have a 6 channel remote and it would be cool to be able to tap the altimeter in your app or another button for alt hold or the attitude indicator for stable mode.

ezio

Post by ezio »

JDD wrote:Is there any way to enable disable some of the aux button features over 3dr or Bluetooth.

In essence could I hit a button on the waypoint or dashboard 3 page to enable GPS hold instead of using a switch or channel on Rx/tx. I only have a 6 channel remote and it would be cool to be able to tap the altimeter in your app or another button for alt hold or the attitude indicator for stable mode.

Right now it is not possible.
It is doable but I the application will have to refresh the status of the switch every sec.

fryefryefrye

Post by fryefryefrye »

ezio wrote:
fryefryefrye wrote:When I set new holding point in “Map”, I must try 2-3 times that the holding point in MWC can be updated.

Let me know if it's better after the today update

It's much better to set new hold point. Thank you.

I strongly recommended you relocate the "Set home position" button. It was easily miss click when set new hold point.

And the home position is very important and should not be modified in most of cases.

hwv8yaxb5v

Post by hwv8yaxb5v »

Hello,

does someone want to implement a network layer in the software,
so that Iam able to attach a smartphone to the quadrocopter and see the data via GSM Uplink from the phone on a different network connected android device?

Regards
hwv8yaxb5v

chamarejc

Post by chamarejc »

Hello,
I discovered today MultiWii EZ-GUI. It's really fantastic to modify parameters from a tablet via BT. With graphics I detect a problem : when using in config/language/not force (for me French) only alt is displayed. When choosing English graphics runs well.

Is this knowed ?

Regards

Chamarejc

ezio

Post by ezio »

chamarejc wrote:Hello,
I discovered today MultiWii EZ-GUI. It's really fantastic to modify parameters from a tablet via BT. With graphics I detect a problem : when using in config/language/not force (for me French) only alt is displayed. When choosing English graphics runs well.

Is this knowed ?

Regards

Chamarejc

I'll check it soon

alejoal07

Post by alejoal07 »

Today's update crashes every time I try to open the app... Please fix!

I'm on a galaxy S4 by the way.

Leon11t

Post by Leon11t »

I have the same trable.
Ezio can you update the code in github. I made a language update for uk and ru

ezio

Post by ezio »

It was compilation error. Everything should be fine soon. I uploaded the update.

David J

Post by David J »

I like this app! Makes tuning a MW board really easy.

Just one very trivial 'feature request' - would it be possible to have an option to turn off the voice that announces when you change to a new screen? It's not a problem in the field, but it does annoy my wife when I'm playing around and setting up a new machine for the first time. I've worked out how to turn off the periodic announcements, but I haven't seen anything to turn all the voices off. I know I could turn the volume down, but that would affect other apps! :)

ezio

Post by ezio »

David J wrote:I like this app! Makes tuning a MW board really easy.

Just one very trivial 'feature request' - would it be possible to have an option to turn off the voice that announces when you change to a new screen? It's not a problem in the field, but it does annoy my wife when I'm playing around and setting up a new machine for the first time. I've worked out how to turn off the periodic announcements, but I haven't seen anything to turn all the voices off. I know I could turn the volume down, but that would affect other apps! :)

if you change "Text to Speech" in "Settings" to Off the voice will stop disturb your wife.
Bart

David J

Post by David J »

ezio wrote:
if you change "Text to Speech" in "Settings" to Off the voice will stop disturb your wife.
Bart

Thank you! I'd missed that option - my wife will be pleased! :)

thequestor

Post by thequestor »

Does this work with the new 2.3 release?

ezio

Post by ezio »

thequestor wrote:Does this work with the new 2.3 release?

Of course

ezio

Post by ezio »

Join the G+ community and register as a tester to get latest alpha/beta versions:
https://plus.google.com/communities/117 ... 6739210133
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.ezio.multiwii