GUI works very slow

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Ainadiel

GUI works very slow

Post by Ainadiel »

Hi there,
I am using newest dev and for some reason it works very slow... seems like it does not refresh in real time.
But on my mates laptop it works fine so I think problem lies in my laptop but i have no idea why.
Do you have any suggestions how to fix it?

Cheers!

Tommie

Re: GUI works very slow

Post by Tommie »

Are you using a serial (or USB) connection to communicate with your copter or a wireless bluetooth connection? Processing and/or the RXTX library are somewhat picky about something - I haven't found out about what. For some people using a different bluetooth transmitter worked, but I made the experience that the performance of the processing app changes from day to day, without changing hardware or a single line of code. It's not really deterministic, but that's the way I've experienced it since day one.
Last edited by Tommie on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

Ainadiel wrote:Hi there,
I am using newest dev and for some reason it works very slow... seems like it does not refresh in real time.
But on my mates laptop it works fine so I think problem lies in my laptop but i have no idea why.
Do you have any suggestions how to fix it?
Cheers!

In case you're using a serial connection over Bluetooth, is your laptop a Mac by any chance?
I had the exact same problem. A workaround was to use an external BT dongle by D-Link for the time being.

Ainadiel

Post by Ainadiel »

i'm using USB connection to communicate with quad, processing application and I have Windows 7 64bit... however have to say that 64bit processing app does not work so I have to use 32bit... (it didnt work in previous devs as well) what is strange that one of my mates has exactly the same system and it works fine on his laptop (through USB as well)

kos

Post by kos »

we all agree that the latest gui is slower than before (talking about svn *_shared )

Ainadiel

Post by Ainadiel »

now im not sure if its my FTDI cable or what... seems like sometimes is faster and sometimes slower... i can go with slower gui as long as mag works ok... almost lost my quad because of previous dev when it start rotating like UFO...

shikra

Post by shikra »

If you use cp.... duart river for the usb dongle, check it is the latest version. I had same - one PC fine and another dead slow. I posted somewhere - but can probably find it on google.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I connected my new laptop and noticed the same.
If i run the gui on the stationary it run smooth. W7 32
On the Laptop i get a update every 2 sec. W7 64

Tested with different versions of MWii and it's the same.
Tested Usb and BT.
No difference.

antomost

Post by antomost »

Any updates?
I have exactly the same issue with my portal.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

you always have the option of using the win-gui, which is not dependent on rxtx serial dll, which I think is the main cause of this problem.

I use windows7 64 bit and I don't see this problem, well, not anymore once I figured out when google chrome is running, the the mw configurator gui runs slow. so I make sure chrome is not running when I am using the configurator gui. other applicaiton may affect the gui is a similar way.

janekx

Post by janekx »

It depend on java and after a few open/close i noticed that season java leave as procesess and slow down the computer because of many java proceses

antomost

Post by antomost »

I change various JAVA versions (5,6 & 7) with no results… :( :(

Quadraf

Post by Quadraf »

my 2 cents:
Most speed problems are caused bij the rxtx Serial.dll as doughboy pointed out .Go to this page to install the rxtx serial.dll in the multiwii.conf directory, wich is 10 times faster 8-) :
http://neophob.com/2011/05/serial-libra ... -v2-2pre5/
Then there could be a problem when having many com ports open as a result of Blue-tooth drivers. you can delete the comports in "hardware".
When this does not help hit the Cntrl-alt-del keys and enter taskmanager. Click processing tab and see what procces eats up cpu memory...

Hans

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I upgraded my W7 home 64 to W8 PRO.
Then the gui floats like liquid... :D

Ms sells Windows8 pro for ~32€ on their website.
http://windows.microsoft.com/

The biggest difference with W8 is that the START button is missing.

I'm satisfied... 8-)

/PatrikE