[PATCH] Errors compiling LCD code

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Tommie

[PATCH] Errors compiling LCD code

Post by Tommie »

While experimenting with various configurations, I encountered some syntax errors inside LCD.ino that are creeping out with recent avr-gcc versions (I got updated to avr-gcc 4.7 a few days ago, although that version isn't that new).

The syntax for PROGMEM declarations is more strict now (variables must also be marked "const") and data types like prog_char have been marked deprecated;
This is the patch for all the occurances I (and my compiler) could find, even though there may be others left.
https://github.com/wertarbyte/multiwii- ... 87c37c6669

Not having any LCD, I can only judge from a theoretical perspective; any objections?

Tommie

Re: [PATCH] Errors compiling LCD code

Post by Tommie »

Just like I predicted: No one cares as long as not affected himself.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Programming with Arduino IDE and its old gcc is not the cleanest way to make code, but it is how this project was created and how it is currently evolving ;)
However I see no reason to keep some syntax if it's now deprecated, and if it's still compatible with "old" tools.
So, no. Your remark is valuable and is taken into account.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Tommie wrote:While experimenting with various configurations, I encountered some syntax errors inside LCD.ino that are creeping out with recent avr-gcc versions (I got updated to avr-gcc 4.7 a few days ago,

which of the three Arduino IDEs got updated? I cannot find any new version for download?

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

Hamburger wrote:
Tommie wrote:While experimenting with various configurations, I encountered some syntax errors inside LCD.ino that are creeping out with recent avr-gcc versions (I got updated to avr-gcc 4.7 a few days ago,

which of the three Arduino IDEs got updated? I cannot find any new version for download?

Virtually all debian-based Linux distributions use something newer than the version 4.3.2 that is included in the Windows and Mac versions of the Arduino IDE.
Ubuntu's Oneiric Ocelot and Precise Pangolin use 4.5.3, Lucid Lynx ships with 4.7.0 for their Arduino installation package. That's a considerably large user group already I would wager.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gcc-avr