ideas for MWiiConf GUI for extra user configurable items?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Hamburger

ideas for MWiiConf GUI for extra user configurable items?

Post by Hamburger »

Hi,
we currently have a growing number of user configurable variables, which are preset via #defines but can only be changed via the LCDmenu mechanism and not in the MultiWiiConf GUI program.
At the moment this includes
- servo centerpoints and offsets for FlyingWing,Airplane,Helicopter,Tri
- gyro smoothing parameters.
There is more to come in the near future.

These values lack a presentation in the current MultiWiiConf GUI program. It would ease the pain of setup and tuning if these parameters were made accessible/tunable to the user in the GUI. Also currently we have clunky code for those variables in case user has no LCD (otherwise he cannot tune via changing the #define anymore, because the stored eeprom value superseeds that define)

But the GUI is kinda crowded already - so how to present those variables to the user? Alex was/is opposed to increasing the window size of the GUI. I do not like the tricky overlay on/off (as with current AUX3/4) - way too complicated for a large set of individual items imho. Use something like TABS? Or create a second standalone GUI program?

Current advice is to compile with LCD_CONF and LCD_VT100 and use the terminal emulation included in Arduino IDE. This is kinda similar to what dongs uses in his stm32 port for setup. But it does require the user to run a third program - a terminal program. Probably too much for the newbies?

My personal preference is to extend the MWiiConf window size to 1024x768 - that gives an extra 60% screen estate.
What do you think?

EOSBandi

Re: ideas for MWiiConf GUI for extra user configurable items

Post by EOSBandi »

+1 for the 1024x768 size... WinGUI will do the same :D

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Just had another look at the MWiiConf. If we must pertain the 800x600, we could decrease the width of the graph area on its right side (less time window visible) and use that space under the GPS data area.

AlouetteIII

Post by AlouetteIII »

+1 for the 1024x768 size - at least

configurable parameters - for everyday users - photographers - non-coders
• reverse a servo - Tricopter or gimbal - checkbox to reverse it
• gimbal Servo pitch and roll sensitivity - proportional setting
• assign a Channel for inflight P value tuning - similar to DJI - assign it to VR knob and you can tune a copter in 30 secs - otherwise it takes hours.

ronco

Post by ronco »

hi,

i think its better to keep its size.. i also think that we may remove some things from the gui to keep it simple..
i belive we cant turn multiwii in a "Professional" copter firmware .. it is more "simple fly and have fun"..

to get it to something like open pilot we will need to change the proc.. and i dont like that idea ;)

regards felix

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

ronco wrote:i think its better to keep its size.. i also think that we may remove some things from the gui to keep it simple..

now that is interesting - and comes as a surprise to me. Removing would point in opposite direction. Any particular things you have in mind that could be removed from GUI?

ronco

Post by ronco »

Hamburger wrote:
ronco wrote:i think its better to keep its size.. i also think that we may remove some things from the gui to keep it simple..

now that is interesting - and comes as a surprise to me. Removing would point in opposite direction. Any particular things you have in mind that could be removed from GUI?

hehe .. i dont know .. things like beeper, throttle curve and headfree.. its just my feeling..

regrads felix

Katch

Post by Katch »

AlouetteIII wrote:+1 for the 1024x768 size - at least

There are a lot of netbooks out there with 1024 x 600 resolutions. As netbooks lend themselves to being taken out onto the field it would be nice not to break the GUI for them. Things like Java apps become unusable when built beyond that native resolution.

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

I personally would vote for bigger window, but if too many people have problem with it, I'd recommend tab system: 1st tab for basic functions approximately like GUI now and 2nd tab for advanced and new functions.
Another possible splitting would be: one tab for settings and the other for readout of sensors, osciloscope etc.
Roman

AlouetteIII

Post by AlouetteIII »

The advantage of Multiwii is the combination of code (for ultimate customisation) and the GUI for beginners - problem with multiwii now is it has already been-there-and-done-that by the general world coder community and EEs and many others in Rc - they moved on - they want GPs and they want BARO working - NAZA is selling a rate that DJI needs a bigger bank - the Mass RC fun market is looking for ease of use for fun -( I agree with ronco - except he is a brilliant coder so his idea of fun is probably more coding) - not to mention the entire world society wanting everything brought to consumer level - but a good balance of GUI for beginners - and code for advanced users is the main hero feature of Alex's invention (plus ACRO mode is the smoothest of any system at any price) . DJI NAZA and DJI Wookong are very limited actually for experienced users because there is no access to the code and you are forever trapped in the wizard limits - so I argue that GUI + code combo is superior - just a few things at the moment in the code give a lot of problems to photographers and non-coders - anyway - coders like ronco can make a version with pop-out drawers for variable screen size - for fun - I have four screens around me at this chair and the smallest is 1680x1050 - biggest is 2560x1600 - and my cell phone is 1280x720 - and I live at the bottom of the world in AU - so what kinda computer you got there Ronco with 800x600? At the field I use a $20 LCD joystick - another major advantage of multiWii over DJI - leave laptop at home.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Katch wrote:

There are a lot of netbooks out there with 1024 x 600 resolutions. As netbooks lend themselves to being taken out onto the field it would be nice not to break the GUI for them. Things like Java apps become unusable when built beyond that native resolution.

good point. So it could be 1024x600?
How many 800x600 pc like devices are still in use? The very first netbooks had this limit?

Arf

Post by Arf »

Hamburger wrote:
Katch wrote:

good point. So it could be 1024x600?
How many 800x600 pc like devices are still in use? The very first netbooks had this limit?

My Leonovo s10e netbook I use in the field, is 1024 x 576 I think, near enough to 1024 x600, it's about 2 years old, that res was common then.

Katch

Post by Katch »

The Asus eee 701 had a stupidly small res of 800 x 480 but could display 800 x 600 with scrolling. That Lenovo is an oddity - 1024 x 600 was the de facto res of most netbooks that came after the 701.

1366x768 is also a very common res for netbooks now but I still think a minimum of 1024 x 600 is sensible.

Jin'Gej

Post by Jin'Gej »

I use a netbook with 1280x720 resolution, so something with 1024x600 would be ok for me
maybe we should start a voting for the resolution

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,
The GUI was designed initially to fit inside my minipc (2 years old HP mini210 with a screen size of 1024x600).
So we can still extend a little the width from 800 to 1000 for instance.

I'm not against other GUI representations as long as it's efficient.
For instance, I think functions scattered in 10 tabs is a representation which is less efficient than 1 screen with all info even if it apparently looks clearer.
1 tab for visualization and 1 tab for configuration could probably be enough for all needs.
Another note: everyone should be aware that implementing a function in the GUI is a lot of work in comparison with a #define OPTION.

kos

Post by kos »

there are some realy nice things you can do with rcp , looks like it is the perfect candidat to match the "i want to custonize the view and size" requirement .surely an overkill and oversized solution .. and looks like not everyone will be able or will have the willing to contribute to the coding part.

Is there any other experienced swing dev on this forum ?

Judithjy

Post by Judithjy »

AlouetteIII wrote:The advantage of Multiwii is the combination of code (for ultimate customisation) and the GUI for beginners
I also think so!

Danal

Post by Danal »

There is a clear set of things that gets you connected to and communicating with the copter. These can be put on a tab. Once connection is established, one or two more tabs would contain everything we want, and still be quite intuitive and easy to find.