Bug in one of my boards - please help

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Katch

Bug in one of my boards - please help

Post by Katch »

So I'm helping test lots of stuff at the moment and one of my FCs has gone wrong.

The board was running the latest dev with i2c GPS connected (Flytron) - When the Flytron is connected and working correctly it makes the Status LED on the Pro Mini flash rapidly to indicate a 3D fix.

I've just disconnected the GPS and loaded 2.0 back on to do some side by side comparisons of 2 different IMUs - problem is the Arduino keeps going mental.

Symptom - After a few moment the Status LED starts rapidly flashing. If I connect the board to the GUI it behaves as expected for a few moments and then the GUI lags like crazy as the Status LED starts flashing like mad.

I've tried uploading a eeprom clear sketch;

Code: Select all

/*
* EEPROM Clear
* Sets all of the bytes of the EEPROM to 0.
* This example code is in the public domain.

*/

#include <EEPROM.h>

void setup()
{
  // write a 0 to all 512 bytes of the EEPROM
  for (int i = 0; i < 512; i++)
    EEPROM.write(i, 0);

// turn the LED on when we're done
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
}

void loop()
{
}

but my problem persists.

I've also tried flashing a test sketch (Blink)

The Pro Mini accepts the sketch and starts its slow 1 sec blink. Upon reuploading MultiWii code my problem persists...

Any ideas?

Katch

Re: Bug in one of my boards - please help

Post by Katch »

Giving up for the day.

I think it has something to do with a bug in the serial communication. It doesn't occur if I just power the board - it is also fine if I connect it to the GUI and leave it alone - it is only when I start moving it around making the sensor values change that the problem presents...

Katch

Post by Katch »

Ok - took a little time to investigate further and have some more to report.

When connected to the GUI via FTDI with the sensors powered by 1 ESC BEC, within a few moments of operation the cycle time climbs to just under 7000 and the throttle Rx channels maxes out often accompanied by the other channels but not always.

In my set up I use a PPM sum device from DIYDrones - this is NOT connected usually when I upload and test different versions of the MWC code.

If I connect my Rx PPM sum as normal the Rx channels return to normal in the GUI - the rapid flashing stops and the cycle time drops back to circa 3000 - everything then behaves as normal.

So the question is 'what the hell is going on?'

I guess the problem is being caused by these Rx signals going out of spec - but this has never happened before.

My biggest concern is that when this error happens the throttle goes max - which could lead to a lost quad or a pile of severed fingers.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Katch

Post by Katch »

LMAO - mystery solved.

So if you happen to be testing an FC in hand and you run your finger down the solder joints of the Arduino Pro Mini on the underside of the board - the above error happens.

I've no idea why I've only just started causing this problem as I've never done it before - but I confirmed the cause by doing the same on my Paris v4 shield - the solder joints are closer to the middle of the board so I guess I don't tend to touch them unintentionally like I do on the Warthox MWC shield.