1_prebis7: ITG3200 driver: Overflow issue

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
ziss_dm

1_prebis7: ITG3200 driver: Overflow issue

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Alex,

The problem was originally reported by "mistral":

mistral wrote:I try the ziss_dm mod with WMP V1.6 ITG 3205. Work fine but (their is always "but" !!) on quick movements the gyro's signal goes on the wrong side :

The problem occur on all 3 axis in only one side by axis (upper side of graphic). I try to fly with, slow fly ok, but quick fly or windy condition, my tri makes unwanted flips !!

Initial thoughts was it is related to TG3205 chip itself. But recently I have connected "genuine" sparkfun ITG3200 and found, that it has the same issue. After couple of hours of investigation. I think, I have found the issue. This chip has full 16bit ADC which reporting signed integers in range -32768..32767. The problem starts when we try to correct gyro orientation:

Code: Select all

gyroADC[ROLL]  = + ((rawADC_ITG3200[2]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[3]);
  gyroADC[PITCH] = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[0]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[1]);
  gyroADC[YAW]   = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[4]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[5]);

The operation x = - (-32768) cannot be complited by runtime, due the fact that +32768 is out of range of int16_t. In practice result of thes operation is still -32768. There are lot of workarounds for this, but I thing the best way is to move scaling of the gyroADC[] from "updateIMU" to the "i2c_Gyro_getADC" (the same way as we doing for all accelerometers) and apply orientation corrections after scaling.

i2c_Gyro_getADC

gyroADC[ROLL]  = + (GYRO_buff.Data.X / 5 / 4);
  gyroADC[PITCH] = + (GYRO_buff.Data.Y / 5 / 4);
  gyroADC[YAW]   = - (GYRO_buff.Data.Z / 5 / 4);

updateIMU

gyroADC[ROLL]  = (gyroADC[ROLL]   - gyroZero[ROLL]);
        gyroADC[PITCH] = (gyroADC[PITCH]  - gyroZero[PITCH]);
        gyroADC[YAW]   = (gyroADC[YAW]    - gyroZero[YAW]);

I have created patch, which implements this idea:

PS: In this patch I have used union and structs instead of bit operations (compiller should do hard work intead of us ..). This way it economises couple bytes of memory, and probably litle bit more efficient. :)

Regards,
ziss_dm
Attachments
itg3200ovf.zip
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

Alexinparis

Re: 1_prebis7: ITG3200 driver: Overflow issue

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,

Thank you ! It's was a bug not so easy to find.
your workaround is nice and simple

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

I have a similar problem of oversensitive WMP (ITG3205 onboard) connected "classic" as WMP. Could this be related to the bug which have described here? My problem is the improper reading of negative pitch and roll at a very rapid turnover gyro, about 0.5 sec to 90 degrees. I have described it in a thread about the sensors.

scaro

Post by scaro »

@ Ziss_Dm: does the 1.7 prebis already contains your patch for direct native connection to ITG3205, or have I to patch it just after downloading the software? And if yes, how do you make that? The arduino driver cannot read the ".patch" file ??
Thanks 8-)

ciskje

Post by ciskje »

-32768 is

over 2000 degrees/sec!!! nearly 330 rpm, or 90 degree in 0.045s a very very very fast movement!