GPS on Crius SE board

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
babz

Re: GPS on Crius SE board

Post by babz »

hello,

somebody has pics from soldering i2c GPS nav on crius,i fear to do it :oops:

Jonit

Post by Jonit »

babz wrote:hello,

somebody has pics from soldering i2c GPS nav on crius,i fear to do it :oops:

No big deal, just simply solder SDA and SCL wires like shown on the picture and connect GND and VCC to any of free pins.
Attachments
IMG_8260.JPG
sku_77994_2.jpg

babz

Post by babz »

thank's Jonit :P

scanman

Post by scanman »

thanks jonit, this worked for me, unfortunately "Dr Tom" has posted a different picture with the wires in a different place that doesnt work.

bignose13

Post by bignose13 »

Hi
I have a bit of a problem with my Crius GPS antenna
I manage to change the settings in the U Centre software, I:E Baudrate and frequency and all works fine in the monitors to the right of the software
I then plug into the I2C which is attached to the Crius board and open up the GUI and the gps works fine, I even get 8 sats in the house by the window
The problem is, when I leave the GPS off for a couple of hours or say a day, it looses all the settings I put into it in the U Centre software
I defo click send when I change settings and have also checked the battery on the GPS module which reads 1.6v, pretty sure thats correct
Also I dont use the I2C attached to the GPS when changing the settings in U Centre, I use another FTDI which just has the GPS attached to it
All the wires are correct, rx to tx etc
Any help guys before I throw it out the window :x
Cheers

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

bignose13 wrote:Hi
I have a bit of a problem with my Crius GPS antenna
I manage to change the settings in the U Centre software, I:E Baudrate and frequency and all works fine in the monitors to the right of the software
I then plug into the I2C which is attached to the Crius board and open up the GUI and the gps works fine, I even get 8 sats in the house by the window
The problem is, when I leave the GPS off for a couple of hours or say a day, it looses all the settings I put into it in the U Centre software
I defo click send when I change settings and have also checked the battery on the GPS module which reads 1.6v, pretty sure thats correct
Also I dont use the I2C attached to the GPS when changing the settings in U Centre, I use another FTDI which just has the GPS attached to it
All the wires are correct, rx to tx etc
Any help guys before I throw it out the window :x
Cheers

The first versions of crius GPS device are not well designed.
That's why there are some init strings for this in multiwii.

shikra

Post by shikra »

LOL

I did tell him to get the multiwiicopter.com one! All done ready and just plug it in. Plug and play is what he needs...
But did he listen to me? - no. Too busy with his model reviews to get free planes and motors.

Bignose - I'll catch up with you later see if we can sort this out. You done pretty well to get that far. Impressed me mate.

bignose13

Post by bignose13 »

shikra wrote:LOL

I did tell him to get the multiwiicopter.com one! All done ready and just plug it in. Plug and play is what he needs...
But did he listen to me? - no. Too busy with his model reviews to get free planes and motors.

Bignose - I'll catch up with you later see if we can sort this out. You done pretty well to get that far. Impressed me mate.

Why buy something double the price when I got you to sort out, cheeky monkey :lol:

miguel

Post by miguel »

After reading the eleven pages of this issue, commented, I programmed the GPS ublox neo 6-m with CRIUS I2c nav gps module, following the instructions of Osbandi, the ublox has an integrated memory, waiting for the new, and the instructions ardupirates loading, the plate is the CRIUS multiwii se soldier I2C connector is with the multiwii rv_v1240 program, two prguntas rookie
1st. - In config.h is NMEA or uncomment # define # define UBLOX
2nd. - To activate RTH, switch is needed? How come?.regards

scrat

Post by scrat »

1. If you have ublox then ublox.
2. How do you mean how come? It's simple. You must turn the switch to activate RTH otherwise your copter will always stay in the home position :)

miguel

Post by miguel »

Thanks scrat, what I meant is how to configure the switch is placed in a channel and the program is recognized or must be configured in Algon site. Sorry but this is google traslate English. regards

miguel

Post by miguel »

I have a switch to activate the baro, mag, on the other serious aux 1 to 08 aux plate 2, but as the program recognizes

i3dm

Post by i3dm »

Jonit wrote:
vpb wrote:Hi, I want to use both GUI & GPS, so the only solution with Crius SE is soldering an output port for I2C, and no need to use FC I2C-GPS NAV Module. Can somebody confirm that? Is sb using that method successfully?

Thanks!

you need to solder I2C wires and then you need to use I2C GPS module. If you have only serial GPS module then you need to place between your Crius board and GPS unit this module: http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=762&productname=

Jonit.

did i get this correctly?
in order to use my Ublox Neo6M GPS module on MultiwiiSE board with V2.2 FW i need to:
1. configure the Ublox GPS to 115200 and 5Hz.
2. disable GPS filtering in code.
3. connect GPS module to GPS-I2C-NAV board.
4. solder other side of NAV board wiring to appropriate points on the SE board (as it has no I2C pins)?
5. In config.h uncomment: # define UBLOX
6. possibly flash my NAV board firmware via FTDI - if so to which version?

is that all guys?

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

i3dm wrote:did i get this correctly?
in order to use my Ublox Neo6M GPS module on MultiwiiSE board with V2.2 FW i need to:
4. solder other side of NAV board wiring to appropriate points on the SE board (as it has no I2C pins)?

is that all guys?

Hi,
I think above is not exactly correct, see my recommendation:
1) You need Ublox GPS with serial output. It can be basically configured to (almost) any serial speed and protocol, because I2C NAV MODULE supports wide range of it. I use 5Hz refresh, serial 38400, NMEA but ublox native protocol should work as well.
Read this document and you will get better overview:
https://i2c-gps-nav.googlecode.com/file ... ltiWii.doc

2) You connect GPS module TXD to RXD (and vice versa - so crossed connection) of either dedicated nav. board (linked before) or just simple Arduino Promini. You set the right speed and protocol of your GPS in config.h of this software https://i2c-gps-nav.googlecode.com/file ... a1-r62.rar and load it into the module. When you power it under the open sky, you should get after some minute double blink instead of slow 1 sec blinking - your module has fix and nav. board/arduino reads position from it.

3) You connect SDA and SCL I2C lines on the correcponding I2C lines of your flight controller (be careful to connect 5V I2C to 5V I2C. In MWI 2.2 config.h GPS section just uncomment I2C GPS and rest keep in default. Don't care about serial speed or protocols, because this refers to serial GPS but you already have I2C one.
After powering MWC you should see in GUI GPS as green, have 0 I2C errors and after you GPS gets fix, you should see in GPS part of GUI position, speed, satelites...
Then it's lot of another playing to tune it all but this should be good base.
Good luck
Roman

i3dm

Post by i3dm »

rbirdie001 wrote:
i3dm wrote:did i get this correctly?

is that all guys?

Hi,
I think above is not exactly correct, see my recommendation:
1) You need Ublox GPS with serial output. It can be basically configured to (almost) any serial speed and protocol, because I2C NAV MODULE supports wide range of it. I use 5Hz refresh, serial 38400, NMEA but ublox native protocol should work as well.
Read this document and you will get better overview:
https://i2c-gps-nav.googlecode.com/file ... ltiWii.doc

2) You connect GPS module TXD to RXD (and vice versa - so crossed connection) of either dedicated nav. board (linked before) or just simple Arduino Promini. You set the right speed and protocol of your GPS in config.h of this software https://i2c-gps-nav.googlecode.com/file ... a1-r62.rar and load it into the module. When you power it under the open sky, you should get after some minute double blink instead of slow 1 sec blinking - your module has fix and nav. board/arduino reads position from it.

3) You connect SDA and SCL I2C lines on the correcponding I2C lines of your flight controller (be careful to connect 5V I2C to 5V I2C. In MWI 2.2 config.h GPS section just uncomment I2C GPS and rest keep in default. Don't care about serial speed or protocols, because this refers to serial GPS but you already have I2C one.
After powering MWC you should see in GUI GPS as green, have 0 I2C errors and after you GPS gets fix, you should see in GPS part of GUI position, speed, satelites...
Then it's lot of another playing to tune it all but this should be good base.
Good luck
Roman

Thank you Roman, your reply is very helpful!
This is the GPS i ordered:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350849933793?ss ... 1497.l2648

once i get it i will connect it to Ucenter and configure to 115200 Baud and 5hz.
next i will flash my I2C-GPS board - is V2.2 Beta1 r62 stable?
everything else is clear.

just to make sure - the I2C-GPS board is 5V I2C right (NOT 3.3V)?

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

i3dm wrote:Thank you Roman, your reply is very helpful!

once i get it i will connect it to Ucenter and configure to 115200 Baud and 5hz.

Hi,
I use exactly the same GPS module like you. Module is internally 3.3V and serial I/O levels are 3.3V, but you can supply it from 5V, there is onboard stabilizer 5V to 3.3V. I can recommend using this simplified level converter - for me it works fine.
simple LLC between 3.3V and 5V levels. Works only when both sides are pulled up to respective +Vcc!
simple LLC between 3.3V and 5V levels. Works only when both sides are pulled up to respective +Vcc!

Just two 10 cent transistors soldered directly to pads and secured with hot glue. Don't forget to cross RXD/TXD lines!
Roman

i3dm

Post by i3dm »

rbirdie001 wrote:
i3dm wrote:Thank you Roman, your reply is very helpful!

Hi,
I use exactly the same GPS module like you. Module is internally 3.3V and serial I/O levels are 3.3V, but you can supply it from 5V, there is onboard stabilizer 5V to 3.3V. I can recommend using this simplified level converter - for me it works fine.
llc_converter.jpg

Just two 10 cent transistors soldered directly to pads and secured with hot glue. Don't forget to cross RXD/TXD lines!
Roman

since im using the I2C-GPS-NAV board, i dont need to change the voltage level right ?

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

i3dm wrote:since im using the I2C-GPS-NAV board, i dont need to change the voltage level right ?

You have to change levels between GPS module (3.3V) and I2C-GPS-NAV board (5V), but then you connect I2C-GPS-NAV board to FC directly over 5V I2C.
Roman

i3dm

Post by i3dm »

rbirdie001 wrote:
i3dm wrote:since im using the I2C-GPS-NAV board, i dont need to change the voltage level right ?

You have to change levels between GPS module (3.3V) and I2C-GPS-NAV board (5V), but then you connect I2C-GPS-NAV board to FC directly over 5V I2C.
Roman

are you sure about this? i see msot people are using the GPS modules stock as they come from the factory.
will it run on 3.3V also?

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

i3dm wrote:are you sure about this? i see msot people are using the GPS modules stock as they come from the factory.
will it run on 3.3V also?

I'm just writing what I know, I can't do any magic...
UBLOX NEO6M is internally running at 3.3V so for correct connection to 5V system you should have level converter but you can try anything you want.
Some other GPS modules are running at 5V so you can connect them directly.
I don't know what "it" you want to run at 3.3V. If you ment ATmega 328p at 16MHz, then NO, for 16MHz you need 5V.
Roman

haydent

Post by haydent »

ive got this problem where if i have the gps connected to serial 0 at bootup, my arduino never finishes booting up, instead just showing solid pin 13 led.

im thinking it is being triggered by the gps serial signal to hang and wait for a new sketch (which never comes)

has anyone experienced this ? any way around it ?

thanks.

haydent

Post by haydent »

haydent wrote:ive got this problem where if i have the gps connected to serial 0 at bootup, my arduino never finishes booting up, instead just showing solid pin 13 led.

im thinking it is being triggered by the gps serial signal to hang and wait for a new sketch (which never comes)

has anyone experienced this ? any way around it ?

thanks.

found out this was because i as trying to do it on a mega based board which uses a different bootloader, that doesnt have the code in it the 328 bootloader does that allows it to boot with an active serial0 device attached