New I2C GPS board

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
JohnyGab

New I2C GPS board

Post by JohnyGab »

Its a pleasure to show you my last project :

http://qcrc.ca/shop/index.php?main_page ... ucts_id=41

Available on my shop here : qcrc.ca into the Sensor section

Basicaly, its like having a GPS + Arduino Mini pro + a micro Sd socket ( to log )

It compatible with the EOSBandi i2c-gps-nav firmware

The GPS work at 115200bps at 10Hz giving standard NMEA string.

Bledi and me are working on a firmware that allow you to log your flight onto the uSd card so you can view the flight into Google Earth, in fact, it does work now, but need some tweaking ( like multiple file management and automatic .kml file formating )

This can be used as a regular GPS and also as a I2C gps board

GPS sensors thereself are on there way to here, I should get them really fast.

Hope you enjoy !

* I know C4 ( at the left of C5 ) is a little wrong placed ;) Its just to see who check for details ;)

Splashy

Re: New I2C GPS board

Post by Splashy »

Looks good. How does it compare to the Flytron Navigatron?

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

The software is finish.
The GPS automaticly record a new file on powerup. The file is a kml file so you can open it directly in Google Eath !

refractions

Post by refractions »

Looks good. Cant find it on your site?

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

yes just wait few days. JohnyGab will give you more informations

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Currently uploading a video on VIMEO, its 600meg, it should take some time, video will be there tomorow, its explaining how it work.

Why this board instead of other?
-Arduino bootloader pre loaded
-50mmx50mm size, fit standard copter mounting hole
-Support E0Sbandi code to share GPS data over I2C port
-Direct 10hz 115200bps GPS data on a 4 pin header
-microSD data logging automatic .kml file ( fully google earth compatible )

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

nice vid ;)

didlawowo69

Post by didlawowo69 »

i don't see the video link, and link to shop don't work...

alexmos

Post by alexmos »

JohnyGab,

Is it possible to lay-out some extra arduino digital pins on your board? I have an idea to move MWC extra sensor communication (like Sonar, Optical Flow, may be others) to second board and get only final data over I2C (like for GPS). This may be usefull because of luck of program space and timers on main arduino 328p.

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

alexmos wrote:Is it possible to lay-out some extra arduino digital pins on your board? I have an idea to move MWC extra sensor communication (like Sonar, Optical Flow, may be others) to second board and get only final data over I2C (like for GPS). This may be usefull because of luck of program space and timers on main arduino 328p.

I've done this on my ATTiny GPS board, I'm currently integrating sonar and optical flow sensors there as well; please consider merging these changes into multiwii: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1549

Considering that you can buy a controller like that for 1€, it might be a pleasant possibility to attach additional sensors.

alexmos

Post by alexmos »

Tommie wrote:
alexmos wrote:Is it possible to lay-out some extra arduino digital pins on your board? I have an idea to move MWC extra sensor communication (like Sonar, Optical Flow, may be others) to second board and get only final data over I2C (like for GPS). This may be usefull because of luck of program space and timers on main arduino 328p.

I've done this on my ATTiny GPS board, I'm currently integrating sonar and optical flow sensors there as well; please consider merging these changes into multiwii: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1549

Considering that you can buy a controller like that for 1€, it might be a pleasant possibility to attach additional sensors.

I am not famular with different controllers beside Arduino. But ATtiny seems having too low resources (program space only 2kb, SROM only 128byte) to handle many sensors.

Using Arduino for second board has important props as I see:
1. we can share the same code and choose single chip or double-chip configuration by defines.
2. it has enough resourses to hadle complicated sensors and calculations
3. It those not require programming card to upload firmware and can be used by everyone.

There is no problem to get second ProMini and connect any serial GPS and other sensors - but it is better to have all in one board, + SD card may be usefull. (If connected to MWC by serial interface - it can even log all debug data visible in GUI - sensors, controls, RX, motors output, altitude, etc - not only GPS data).

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

alexmos wrote:I am not famular with different controllers beside Arduino. But ATtiny seems having too low resources (program space only 2kb, SROM only 128byte) to handle many sensors.

You can actually do *a*lot* with that.
Using Arduino for second board has important props as I see:
1. we can share the same code and choose single chip or double-chip configuration by defines.
2. it has enough resourses to hadle complicated sensors and calculations
3. It those not require programming card to upload firmware and can be used by everyone.

I don't want to talk bad about this board, it's really a nice piece of hardware. I just wanted to remind you that there are other I²C boards (including several users) with code waiting to be merged :-)

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

didlawowo69

Post by didlawowo69 »

could you tell me, when your I2G gps board with sd card slot will be available soon ?