Yaw bug?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Hogster

Yaw bug?

Post by Hogster »

Hi all :)

I've been flying my Hexacopter with a Flyduino and Multiwii 2.0 pre-release 4 and have been noticing a possible bug. If I give left yaw input followed quickly by a right yaw input (or right followed by left), all 6 motors seem to throttle up strongly making the hexacopter jump a metre or two up in the air. If I give the left and right yaw inputs more gradually the effect lessens. The effect still seems to be there if I only give a left / right yaw input and then return the yaw stick to the centre. I'm trying my hardest not to knock the throttle stick at the same time, so I'm fairly sure that's not causing the problem.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this issue?

I've also noticed a slight yaw drift. What is the best way to eliminate this? Changing Yaw-P doesn't seem to make such a difference ... is drift usually caused by too low a Yaw-I value?

Many thanks :)

David

Cronalex

Re: Yaw bug?

Post by Cronalex »

I have the same problem but with the quadricopter turns to the left MCU mutlwii crius SE

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

hey,
wich sensors are active?
A yaw drift may be trimmed out with your transmitter trims. Increasing I would lead to a stronger levellock and may help also. Activate the deadband option in config.h if your transmitter potis cause jumps in gui. Try to add some expo in gui for smoother inputs. Note that a gyro and acc flown copter may still drift. Even with magnetometer mounted, there might be a small errorangle.
greetz Noc

btw. if you mount a barometer, and wind is not too strong, you do not need to care to much about holding altitude, this may also compensate your "yaw jumps" wich i believe are quite normal. (not sure if i understood what you meant)

Hogster

Post by Hogster »

Hi Noctaro :)

I'm using a FFIMU 0.4.3 sensor board which has a 3-axis gyro, accelerometer and magnetometer, and a barometer. I will try out your suggestions the next time I go flying! Good to know I can trim out any yaw drift using the transmitter trims. Can this also be done with forward/back/left/right drift or would this then upset level mode when I switch to it?

I need to get my magnetometer properly calibrated as that should help with heading hold immensely!

I haven't tried the altitude hold yet as I don't have any wind protection over the barometer (I will put a dome over all the electronics soon).

Many thanks :)

David

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

hey,
you may trim all axis using your transmitter, but i suggest you to do in acro mode. Afterwards switch to levelmode and eliminate drift in this mode by landing and doing the stick input method for "Trim ACC" as descirbed here -> http://multiwii.googlecode.com/svn/branches/Hamburger/MultiWii-StickConfiguration-18_v0-57721.pdf
Or you may try jevermeisters Inflight ACC trim method - > http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=893&hilit=inflight+acc
Alternative:
I think cardboard once mentioned, he flies level only and trimed from transmitter directly to this mode. If doing so, a offset may occur when flying in acro. (May lead to some unwanted airbehaviour as hard pitch forward etc.)
How did you calibrate your mag?

hope this helps a bit. :)
greetz,
Noc