Run MultiWii @ 400 Hz - Very Important - ESC - Solution!

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
chris ables

Re: Run MultiWii @ 400 Hz - Very Important - ESC - Solution!

Post by chris ables »

jevermeister wrote:Hi there,

I just tested this mod regarding my wobble of death problem.
The 400Hz mod does not fix that. So my problem lies elsewhere - DAMN!

Nils

Have you crashed this board? If so probably like lenz said and a bad solder joint ! Also high humidity and wet can cause things like this ! And maybe a bad solder joint in your esc's too !

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

Not in case if the wobble.this is a problem with those crappy new hw escs.

Nils

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

I have one of those new HW's and they work fine.. Just don't buy the fake ones, they don't work ;)

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

The new flyfun hw work fine also.

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

DAmmit, my copter worked perfect with the Turnigy Plush 25A.

Even warthox is sure, that the HW have problems, which one do you guys use?
18A or 25A or 12A

Nils

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

I use skywalker 20amp

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

HobbyWing 10A.. But every Flyfun works fine;. Just not the clones.

If your PCB says V4 it's a clone ;). HobbyWing is tracing the clone companies by selling a newer version.

The good version contains:
- Anti-conterfeiting code
- HW V4.0 Manual
- HW 2.0 ESC

They just changed the version in the manual. Not the PCB .. to track those clones.

I've been mailing with HobbyWing for this issue.

Jesse

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

jessestr wrote:HobbyWing 10A.. But every Flyfun works fine;. Just not the clones.

If your PCB says V4 it's a clone ;). HobbyWing is tracing the clone companies by selling a newer version.

The good version contains:
- Anti-conterfeiting code
- HW V4.0 Manual
- HW 2.0 ESC

They just changed the version in the manual. Not the PCB .. to track those clones.

I've been mailing with HobbyWing for this issue.

Jesse

Now this is some info you provided there Buddy! I will check the manuals.

I bought Hobbywing Flyfun 18A from Giantcod.co.uk last year, I thought they were genuine. Let's hope they are fake so I can be sure that the plushs will work.

Thank you mate!

Nils

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

HOw do I see if the PCB is v4.0

Nils

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

You'll need a magnifier or something to see the small letters on the ESC.

My previous ones were also from Giantcod but they said they switched to V4 so I didn't buy them anymore there. Got some new ones from multiwiicopter.com.. They also told me the same HobbyWing told me to me.

Jesse

axskin

Post by axskin »

I had a hexacopter with 20-28m and turnigy 18A plus esc, should i try the 400 hz solution? is confiable or not?

Geebles

Post by Geebles »

Sorry to bring up an old-ish post, just going to add my input.

I have a TRI with HobbyWing 20A ESCs (Flashed with BLHeli FW) which works fairly well, however VERY RANDOMLY one motor will briefly stop (which usually means a crash, or if its over 2m in the air I can save it). It is so random that it may happen every minute or once a week! I've put some RF filter on the ESCs (slightly better) and there are no vibration issues as I've spent a while removing as much vibration as possible. I have even set the Gyro filtering fairly high and it flys VERY stable, i don't have a video of the issue but here is a video of how it flies (note this is loaded with FPV and a GoPro (all separate batteries)) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJTgLKssbQ), very weird that a motor twitches. Min throttle set to 1200 (which is nice and fast)

I've just updated my MultiWii 2.1 with this patch: http://goo-apple.appspot.com/article.jsp?id=b483a234-68bf-4655-b4d0-d57d674e7a2f (I think its based on the fixes here) and so far so good! Not had a hiccup yet, but I need to test it for a number of weeks to make sure.. I've heard mention that HobbyWings can only do 432Hz (not 490Hz as multiwii uses) and so hopefully this has now sorted it :) don't go out and buy these ESCs, I'm just giving my personal experience and it may be different for others!

Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yeah, you're probably the last guy who is still uninformed enough to be buying those DJI-compatible scam escs.
Everyone else has stopped buying hobbywing shit more than a year ago.
Sell them to the nearest DJI fanboy and get some proper escs.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

@Geebles:
The problem is known and the blheli guy (sskaug) is working on the issue. It seems that some motors cause temperature misreadings in those ESC and the FW shuts down the motors randomly. You can do 3 things to fix this:
1. Get rid of those ESC, like TC kindly suggested
2. Wait for new, "official" blhelisoft.
3. Use the blheli beta fw wich disables the temperature protection. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=5508512

I did step 3 because my motors are rated max 10A and the Skywalker is 20A so i think there is enough safety margin and i hopefully will not miss the overheat shut down. BTW the esc keep stone cold on my quad. The beta FW really fixed my Skywalker 20A ESC / Robbe 2827-26 problem. I use them on APM with 490Hz PWM.

Cheers
Kraut Rob

Geebles

Post by Geebles »

Update: This problem still persists, changing refresh rate did not affect anything (not denying that it works, but for my ESCs it wasn't the 'problem' (also forgot to mention that mine are also the SkyWalker series))

@timecop
Yep, this was my first ever build (built nearly a year ago) I pretty much bought the wrong everything! Bought crap motors, a KK board (closed source..), existing TX was poor, and now ESC's are the only things I haven't replaced yet! Safe to say that I have learnt my lesson and ALWAYS do a load of research.. (I did do research but was more excited and thought they'd do). However they do actually work well, and suited my needs while I was crashing it constantly (never noticed issue before because I would crash/land every few minutes, but now I can control it quite well and only crashing when a motor cuts out..)

@Crashpilot1000
Ah wow I'm glad I'm not the only one! How interesting, I think I'll give the beta firmware a go until some replacements arrive.. either way I think some better quality ones would be an all round better solution rather than hacking these older ones..
Thanks for your input, there was no different between 490Hz and ~430Hz PWM so as you have done I'll go back to the original.

Thanks all, keep up the good work

yoan1509

Post by yoan1509 »

same recent problem for me on a quad X http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/scarab-quad-x-stealth-metal-armour
i ask me if there isn't a bug in the code rather than problem with frequency rate.