FMP04 GPS troubleshooting

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
capt

FMP04 GPS troubleshooting

Post by capt »

Have been unable to get any sats out of my GPS so I am trying to run a test program (simple GPS tester).
Will the FTDI basic be able to do this? I have not been succesful with the test program and looks like no com between the FTDI and the GPS unit?
Attachments
VC>VC, GND>GND, TX>RX, RX>TX
VC>VC, GND>GND, TX>RX, RX>TX

mon_lolo_fr

Re: FMP04 GPS troubleshooting

Post by mon_lolo_fr »

Hi,

have you checked on pin 5 of the FM04 GPS board, if you have a continuously output one-second high-level with
one-second low-level signal ?

This means that you'll have at least 2D fix, afterward pin 5 will be continiously at a high level when 3D fix is OK.

After that, check to see if you get pin 4 (TX) on the GPS board that outputs some serial data to your FTDI breakout board on its RX pin.

Laurent

capt

Post by capt »

Thanks, checked P5 and nada. I reflowed and checked all the pins also but it will not come to life. I suspect it is bricked so I dropped it into an envelope and sent it back to Ohararp and hopefully they will test it for me.

zviratko

Post by zviratko »

In newer firmware that PIN is no longer used, it is not outputting anything on my FMP04 that works - even when 3D FIX is obtained. So don't rely on that.

mon_lolo_fr

Post by mon_lolo_fr »

It seems that they're not in sync on their documentation because, on the following datasheet http://www.ohararp.com/files/FMP04-TLP_DataSheet.pdf page 8, the pin 5 seems to be usable !

And on this one http://www.ohararp.com/files/FMP04_DataSheet_R02.pdf, it seems not !

Sorry for my post on the possible debug info, I can't help more...