Alternatives to Arduino IDE? using eclipse?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Hamburger

Alternatives to Arduino IDE? using eclipse?

Post by Hamburger »

Hi,
is anyone using something besides the Arduino IDE for development?
I find the Arduino IDE to be very limited and have started diving into Eclipse. Knowing this to be a big project in itself I am curious to learn of others' experience?

If anyone is using Eclipse, which plugins are recommended and do you use a makefile or which alternate build method/definition?

EOSBandi

Re: Alternatives to Arduino IDE? using eclipse?

Post by EOSBandi »

If you are not bond to Mac or Linux then you should check out http://www.visualmicro.com/ this is an Arduino addon for the Visual Studio 2010

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Here is the Link just in case someone is interested: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/Eclipse

timecop

Post by timecop »

EOSBandi wrote:If you are not bond to Mac or Linux then you should check out http://www.visualmicro.com/ this is an Arduino addon for the Visual Studio 2010

Wow, that almost makes arduino bearable.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

now I use the toolchain of Arduino IDE 1.0 plus my Makefile together with Eclipse.
I found the AVR plugin for eclipse not working properly and I did not want to spend much time on it. Also the Bracketeer plugin threw errors on searches, so I skip that.

For the time being this combo is much better than using the Arduino application for editing. Finally can control compiler settings to my liking.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Makefile bundle uploaded to http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/sourc ... -Makefiles.
Works either from commandline or eclipse. Requires an existing Arduino IDE for cross-compiler suite.
Targets: all, clean, size, upload - if this does not make sense to you, then this bundle is not for you, better stick with the Arduino IDE.

itain

Post by itain »

Hamburger, thanks!!! I will give it a try later this week (Using Fedora 16 Linux).

My personal opinion:
MultiWii has grown too big and too complex for the arduino environment. Should migrate everything from pde to standard c/c++ and h files, then a "standard" Makfile could be used.

IMHO the dependencies on the arduino libraries is already very small.

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

I agree that the MWC project has grown beyond the original design concept and development would be more efficient if the we abandoned the Arduino IDE. But the user base is already struggling with the simplicity of the Arduino IDE, so moving to a professional IDE would be a final straw for many of them. So regardless of your decisions about IDE's, please keep the *customer* in mind. By that I mean the code should always remain compatible with the dumb-as-a-rock (standard) Arduino tools without any fuss.

- Thomas

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Thomas, +1

We developers on the other hand are free to choose.
My nakefiles open the path to a compatible use of the eclipse world. For now that is an improvement.
If

icedfusion

Post by icedfusion »

I have not really looked into this, but is the Arduino toolchain different from the AVR Studio toolchain?

I am surprised people are not using AVR Studio to develop for the Atmel chips? Whilst eclipse is nice and cross platform, it can be a bit 'cumbersome'. Saying all that though, I will probably use Hamburgers makefiles and start having a go.

On another note, the link Hamburger gives did not work for me, I had to look at the link posted and try and work out where it was stored within the google repository.

Cheers

ice.

timecop

Post by timecop »

It appears a large number of Arduino developers are allergic to proper operating systems. I'm not sure why, I would also use AVRStudio over Eclipse anyday, if I was forced to work on AVR anyway.

Danal

Post by Danal »

Thomas,

Another +1. I am attempting to get a lot of people in this area flying Quadcopters. The Arduino IDE and the Config.h tab is a big hill for most of them to climb. I believe we should stick to this.

Developers can use whatever we want, as long as each of us periodically runs the code through our "customer" process (that is, the Arduino IDE).

Having said that, I have a set of scripts to generate the assembler after an Arduino run. I'd sure rather plug them into the make process. THANKS hamburger!!

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

icedfusion wrote:On another note, the link Hamburger gives did not work for me, I had to look at the link posted and try and work out where it was stored within the google repository.

I can click on the link in my earlier posting and land right inside the google rep at the proper directory. Works for me. What did you try?

icedfusion

Post by icedfusion »

Odd, it wasn't working when I tried it the day you posted it (before I posted here) - seems to be working now and the link is exactly the same. Ahh well.

Cheers

ice.

gompf-2

Post by gompf-2 »

Hi Hamburger,

thanks for your aid!

Regards,
gompf

tobi86

Post by tobi86 »

I tried to use Visual Studio 2010 with VisualMicro, but I always get the following compiler error, if I uncomment "#define SERIAL_SUM_PPM" in config.h. Does anyone has the same problems or a solution??? Why do you all prefer Eclipse instead of Visual Studio (Express)? I think Visual Studio is much easier to configurate, isn't it?

Code: Select all

Compiling 'MultiWii_2_1' for 'Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK'
C:\Users\Tobi\AppData\Local\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\MultiWii_2_1\mega2560\MultiWii_2_1.cpp: In function 'void configureReceiver()':
C:\Users\Tobi\AppData\Local\VMicro\Arduino\Builds\MultiWii_2_1\mega2560\MultiWii_2_1.cpp:6020: error: 'rxInt' was not declared in this scope
MultiWii_2_1.ino : In function 'void configureReceiver()'
RX.ino : 'rxInt' was not declared in this scope
Error compiling

timecop

Post by timecop »

I'm guessing its because Eclipse is "free as in aids" while Visual Studio is "Micro$oft $h1t" [sic].
I've used vstudio to navigate through mwc project tree before, its definitely helpful to be able to crossreference functions and see function args etc while working on code.

visualmicro

Post by visualmicro »

hi tobi86,

it would be good to hear from you about any problems in the visual micro forum. the forum is free same as the product.

i think the problem with uncommenting the define is due to an issue with the compiler cache. switch off "Compiler Library Optimization" in Tools>options>visual micro and then try the compile again. or select "Build>Clean Solution" prior to compile if you change #defines

the next release of visual micro is due soon that plugs this hole. With optimization on, the speed of compile in visual studio is almost instant with any size arduino project but it's better if we don't get these errors :)

please do join the forum via visualmicro.com, a lot of money and hardwork goes into creating the free visual micro product and with your help we will make it even better

when on the http://www.visualmicro.com site you might also like to read about the arduino debug upgrade due out soon. It will be very useful for a complex project such as multiwii

shikra

Post by shikra »

dongs wrote: its definitely helpful to be able to crossreference functions and see function args etc while working on code.

+1

I used it on an AVR ASM project for a customer for the first time. Apart from ridiculously slow time to initially load this is indeed an awesome feature.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

tobi86 wrote:Why do you all prefer Eclipse instead of Visual Studio (Express)?

does it run on any OS besides those sold by M$ ?

visualmicro

Post by visualmicro »

Problem fixed by running the plugin installer again. Thanks to the user who worked that out :)
Last edited by visualmicro on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

http://www.codeblocks.org/ is quite good. Has all necesary features and fast. Debugger also works.

Regards,
Ziss_dm

visualmicro

Post by visualmicro »

Couple of updates about the free visual studio plugin.

If you are an individual that is not in the web design business you can obtain a copy of Visual Studio Professional free for 3 years+ lots of other interesting ms software.

1) The latest version includes a learning and examples explorer. The explorer combines all examples and help files from arduino ide, gcc, avr and custom libraries into visual studio. There is also an automatic copy facility should you want to start a new project based upon an example.

2) The latest version also includes automatic disassembly view and memory reporting so you can keep an eye on the limits and avoid arduino crashing due to low stack problems.

3) The library system has been extended to include a "Refresh" option, meaning you don't need to close and re-open the ide before new libraries are recoginsed (as we do in arduino ide)

4) The option "Project>Show all arduino files" has been made a bit slicker. It is a great way to bring all the multiwii sources directly into your project so that you can use vs features such as the "Class explorer" and "Find all references" to easily navigate large arduino projects

5) OFFER: The new arduino debugger upgrade is in final beta, register for the forum and include a request to beta test if you would like to try it out.

VM
Last edited by visualmicro on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hamburger wrote:does it run on any OS besides those sold by M$ ?

an update on that topic?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Hamburger wrote:
Hamburger wrote:does it run on any OS besides those sold by M$ ?

an update on that topic?

Who honestly cares? There is no IDE free or paid that beats Visual Studio in functionality or features, on any OS.

jstapels

Post by jstapels »

In reply to the OP, I have used the eclipse IDE to build simple Arduino projects before by following the tutorials available on Ardiuno's website. That said I haven't tried this with MultiWii code yet, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible.

Link: http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/Eclipse

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

jstapels wrote:In reply to the OP, I have used the eclipse IDE to build simple Arduino projects before by following the tutorials available on Ardiuno's website. That said I haven't tried this with MultiWii code yet, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible.

Link: http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/Eclipse

this has been kinda solved since beginning of year - you did not read earlier posts?
forget about that generic eclipse+arduino approach. Instead use tweaked makefiles from arducopter, which mimik the arduino build process and use an installed arduino IDE environment for compile to keep compatibility .

jstapels

Post by jstapels »

Hamburger wrote:
jstapels wrote:this has been kinda solved since beginning of year - you did not read earlier posts?

Indeed, sorry! :( Not sure how I missed some of those earlier posts. Mods, feel free to delete my posts.